Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So, anybody have any real hopes for TH1RTE3N (god that is such an awful name)? Honestly, after Endgame I'm really not expecting much at all from Megadeth anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

thepitgoddess posted:

New Medadeth song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Mb2vMTIjg&feature=player_embedded

It's not that *good* but it's not bad, and it's better than Anthrax.

Eh..

Feels like Dave really can't think of any snapping riffs anymore, and just uses sub-par stuff. That's too bad, but oh well, we'll always have the first four albums.

Personally, if I was Dave I'd sit myself in front of a speaker and play the entire KimB album over and over, then go hire Chris Poland again.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 25, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

freudorbison posted:

So uh guys, how about that new Metallica album with Lou Reed?

Speaking of old bands releasing new albums, anybody heard Megadeth's new songs on Thirteen? I'm really not impressed, sounds pretty boring and mediocre to me.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

Was just thinking about how goddamned good the last half of 2011 has been for metal.

New Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Iced Earth, Insomnium, Animals as Leaders and Megadeth, and Cynic albums all within the span of a few weeks? Im sure theres more that I missed, but I cannot mentally process this much amazing metal.

Speaking of the new Iced Earth, its really quite good. I havent seen it discussed yet but it sounds a hell of a lot like Demons and Wizards but without Hansi.

I've been wanting to get into new metal for awhile. Anything you can recommend from those new albums? Not Megadeth, though. Not impressed with Thirteen at all.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I think you should have a Classic/NWOBHM Metal section in that list. Throw all the NWOBHM bands and Sabbath into that and you have a complete coverage, unless you're just recommending the more extreme varieties.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Meh, I'm not digging the new Megadeth at all. No tracks are really standing out to me. Sure there's shredding, but the rest of the song is just boring. Most catchy song is Public Enemy #1, and that's a decent track. Endgame was so much better IMO.

Yeah, gotta agree. Ending up skipping through half the songs, pretty lackluster. Did Dave just buy a flanger pedal or something, because for some reason he used it in like 5 songs.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dyscrasia posted:

I like the style, he kind of combined all of the stuff that I like about the whole Megadeth collection into one album. Problem is, he took all those ideas turned them into boring riffs.

Considering they sound so similar, if he had cut down the songs from 13 to 8 or so, putting half of the riffs in with other songs and mixing it up, it would probably be a lot better.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah, but you can't work the number 8 into the word 'eight' and have it be catchy

Oh wait I forgot about Dave being paranoid about the number 13

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I'm way late on this one, but goddamn the remastered version of Rust in Peace is terrible. The vocals sound weird as hell, some of the lyrics changed and the end of Five Magics sounds like Grover is singing.

The remasters are pretty bad in general, besides KimB, but even then I prefer the original of that because of the lower quality. The Peace Sells remaster is just painful for me to listen to, though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

New clip from Metallica released based off a new project that doesn't involve Lou this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPzElP_eSI

Even though it's been posted before, this doesn't get old.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

If you're Australian, Soundwave is looking pretty horrible, aside from a few bands here and there. You'd probably get more out of going to a club that plays metal.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

GreenAcidRage posted:

Machine Head, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Black Label Society (I guess..), Devin Townsend Project, Hatebreed, Gojira, Turisas. Not an amazing lineup by any means but I'd go see it, mainly for Lamb of God and Mastodon. Sounds like enough bands for a dedicated metal stage like last year, shame the headliners completely suck though. Turisas is good fun as well.

Edit: VVV I Feel loving ashamed to have missed that.

Is it really worth enduring poo poo like the Black Veil Brides, though? Really?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

The Capitulator posted:

Watched Metallica in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago. Awesome show, made even more awesome by the fact that local death metal dudes Nervecell opened for them. Probably the only date with an opening like that. Check em out, they're in Europe now with Morbid Angel I believe.

In other news, got the new Megadeth album. There seems to be a formula here. Two types of albums came out since Risk - type A and B, one after another.

Type A: Couple of decent new songs, recycled old stuff, horrible/bad fillers.
Type B: Awesome new stuff.

Observe:

World Needs A Hero (Type A): Besides 'Disconnect' there's nothing that really kicks rear end. 'Return to Hangar' and '1000 Times Goodbye' are both recycled/hark back to the past. Rest of the album is filler.

The System Has Failed (Type B): Excellent album, best since Countdown.

United Abominations (Type A): I only really like 'Gears of War'. Crap version of 'A Toute Le Monde' makes an appearance. Rest is crap.

Endgame (Type B): Two really solid tracks, rest not bad either.

Thirteen (Type A): Only fresh song I like so far is 'Sudden Death' (and even that's not so fresh). 'New World Order' and 'Deadly Nightshade' are excellent tracks but both are old.

Here's me hoping there's another Type B on its way sometime.

PS: the new Warbringer loving rules.

New Megadeth never really did it for me. I'd prefer it if they just released unheard live albums from 84 - 91 or so every year, and it'd probably be better than any of the new stuff. I get this overwhelming feeling with Endgame and Thirteen that even though there's some good songs on it, I don't really love it, and when it comes to listening to that or KimB I'd honestly rather put KimB on. I shouldn't be comparing old Megadeth to new, because new pails in comparison, but whatever. That's just my goony opinion.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Black Sabbath just released the following:

drat :( But, if Nergal can beat lymphoma, so can Tony Iommi!

:suicide:

Poor guy. Really hope he makes it.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Can someone shoot me a link to that blog posted quite a few pages ago in this thread? It was a metal review blog, was a really good reference for bands.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Why hate tech death? I can enjoy listening to Beyond Creation than going straight into Whiplash any day of the week. More the merrier.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I love it when I find new bands from browsing Youtube. Anybody know anything else like this on a whim's notice? I don't like anything too technical though, i.g. Watchtower's second album. If only I could find that giant recommendation post Gr1lly posted in the last thread.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

BjornOfBorg posted:

This is a pretty good find! As far as recommendations, the only thing that really comes to mind (and sounds pretty close) is Toxik. But I guess they're a big enough name that you already know them. Perhaps Xentrix and Midas Touch might fit the bill? Or Vektor, which I posted at the top of this page.

I've got most of the bigger names, including Vektor, but I'll check those other two out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSd4Rbag5I

I never got into Slayer that much, but their first album really does kick rear end.