Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh boy here we go

First single off Sonata Arctica's new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc2upc_erQ
Sonata Arctica - BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

SA have done some fun stuff, but jesus this song is just full bad mode enabled. Augh.
I also wish Kakko would just make a vow of silence and move to a monastery in the Himalayas or something, I just can't stand his bleating anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

Belakors new tape is sounds like its gonna be pretty wild if you haven't had a chance to listen yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPHJycgRLN8
Holy poo poo how have these guys slipped under my radar?
This song is loving boss, absolutely love the guitar leads and the vocalist's growling is convincing as all hell. This is like, the best things about Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum and Before the Dawn rolled into one.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

I am new to metal. Very new. Entry-level, minimum wage new. I enjoy things in languages I do not or barely speak, it helps me to get them a little better. (German/Swedish are favourites) Aside from Rammstein which I stumbled upon years ago thanks to my strange 90 year old german professor, I've recently been swimming around in Opeth, Dimmu Borgir and Manowar. I'm finding myself more attracted to the grand, orchestral songs with less cookie monster vocals. I can enjoy female vocals to the extent of Nightwish but that's kind of pushing it. Anyone got any suggestions? I have pretty broad music tastes and want to explore metal a little further.
Well as the foreign languages aspect was already touched, I'm gonna focus on the "grand, orchestral" part.

As such, I give you Crimfall.
They do have a rather harsh growling/snarling male vocalist, but maybe he's not too grating. Also, their female vocalist is absolutely stellar and the orchestrations are really grand.

Then there's Kiuas who also get pretty bombastic. It's a drat shame the vocalist has left the band, he was really drat impressive with his powerful and varied delivery.

Kamelot aren't that balls-out bombastic, but a lot of their stuff still has a certain sort of melodramatic sound to it. They've gotten a bit meh in the last few years, but albums like Karma and The Black Halo are fantastic.

And to conclude I'll just toss out some random recommendations off the top of my head:

Wuthering Heights play some sort of power/prog/folk/speed metal hybrid. Really energetic stuff, some ludicrously catchy choruses and one of the best heavy metal vocalists today. Also, much better lyrics than the average power metal band. Here's another song because they're so loving crazyawesome: http://youtu.be/lHpR1m7b9b0

Speaking of great vocalists, Lost Horizon were a band some years ago who sadly only released two albums. They only have some cheesy synths instead of orchestrations, but holy poo poo if they still don't manage to sound larger than life. This is also thanks to the vocalist Daniel Heimann who has some incredible loving pipes. Seriously, god drat that guy can sing.

And lastly, the ever awesome Blind Guardian. They started with pretty straightforward thrashy metal in the 80s, then evolved towards, uh, power metal I guess? They keep getting called that, but I've never really understood it. They're just Blind Guardian, one of the more distinct-sounding bands there is. http://youtu.be/1AfNOKQdY-U

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metalness perhaps debatable, compensating with extra fat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Flynn Taggart posted:

...is that Alexi Laiho?
Yep, that's him alright!
Sinergy released three albums, the last of which is actually pretty good, because they stopped sounding loving weak and lame and Goss started singing more balls-out intensely: http://youtu.be/DS7VP4EBAB8

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I stopped reading that "article" Vintersorg pasted in when the guy started going "hurr durr durr all female fronted bands suck by default derr" or someshit. Jeez.

As for Huntress, well they ain't bad, but don't really hit my buttons, either. The "HAY GUISE PLAYBOY METAL" thing is pretty meh, too. And she doesn't even look especially hot to my tastes (I'd much rather bed Angela Gossow), especially in those gaudy LARP costumes of hers. I do like her singing, though I've only heard two songs. I find the ball-shredding scream in the beginning of Eight of Swords pretty drat powerful, especially combined with the imagery of the music video at that point. Other than that the song's pretty boring though.

On another note, someone mentioned Manowar?
I heard they've abandoned the idea of making a concept album, and will just put out a bunch of songs dealing with all the riduculously cheesily badass poo poo Manowar is all about. Which I think is purely a positive thing, really.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey guys, you've heard that Finland is the promised land of Heavy Metal, right?

It's true, I have proof right here! Check out these trve-as-fvck hardcore motherfuckers: http://youtu.be/-4i-NRfg77o

Now excuse me for a while, I'll be at the ER to get this ruptured pancreas I got from laughing too hard treated.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Not Very Metal posted:

holy poo poo, this is the daddest band.
No no you don't understand, they're totally like really rebel and poo poo! You can tell by that one dude's Che Guevara shirt!

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that only about 1600 views in and they've already disabled commenting on the video.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.
I will be blasting this poo poo a LOT this summer.

Also, Sabaton covered Amon Amarth's Twilight of The Thunder God, and it's not half bad. I mean Sabaton are a fine band and all, but what the gently caress. :stare:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wattsamatta posted:

Umm... How have I never heard this band. This loving owns. I blame this thread and all of you. ALL OF YOU.
Isn't it awesome though? I love those "Who the hell are these guys and why have I never heard them until now?" moments. Same thing happened to me with Astral Doors a couple years back, I stumbled across their Best Of-compilation and shat a cartful of gold bricks listening to it.

Houseplant posted:

I was worried a bit when they lost their drummer and picked up the one from Shining, but I like some of the added drum kicks. The album is growing on me but so far I think I like Hammer of the North and Iron Will a bit more. All in all its still solid
I've only listened to The Hunt a few times, and as awesome as Iron Will and Hammer of the North are, I can already say this tops them both in my book. There's just this certain kind of feel to it that blows my mind.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Former SABATON Members Launch CIVIL WAR.

This is pretty drat interesting to me, mainly because of this part:

quote:

with singer Patrik Johansson (ASTRAL DOORS, LION'S SHARE)
Seriously, Johansson is such a drat good heavy metal vocalist it's not even funny, and the more stuff I can hear him sing the better. (I never checked out Lion's Share though, because I heard they're pretty mediocre.)

Not that I expect the new band to sound exactly like Sabaton, but I can't help but think something Sabaton-ish with Johansson singing could own SO hard.
Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this, at any rate.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metal Thread ###: My Dad Is More Metal Than Your Dad.

I discovered heavy metal on my own, but since then my dad's helped me appreciate the old classics like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep and such.
Conversely, I keep introducing him to stuff like Graveyard and Black Spiders.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros, I posted a new Be'lakor tape awhile back and many of you seemed to enjoy it, so I figured I would alert you to the fact that they have posted the entirety of their new album on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/belakorband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYBgWgjjgxQ

Its fuckin RED HOT in my opinion. The entire album is packed with delicious riffs.

Yup, listened to it yesterday and it's just fantastic.

The problem now is that I can't listen to both Be'lakor and Grand Magus simultaneously.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rion.exe posted:

I stumbled upon a weird band you guys might enjoy - Hail Spirit Noir.

It's sorta, um... blackened psychedelic rock?

Pretty neat!
Not bad, though not really my thing.

However, "blackened rock" nowadays immediately reminds me of Djerv. This is good, because Djerv is some great stuff. Kinda like, metalized 90's alternative rock with some black metal overtones. Or something, I'm not very good with describing poo poo like this. Have some links:
http://youtu.be/-hXPCYg-XeA
http://youtu.be/rNUZcBgDxGw
http://youtu.be/Rq3FAy-JTAg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

I had my doubts, but it's really a great album... even if for some reason they couldn't come up with endings for the songs and instead just used fadeouts.
"El Gringo" and "Touch the Sky" are just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6U_4BYEHs El gringo!
Yeah I've given the album a few spins as well, and it's not only good, it's surprisingly really drat good.
I'm really glad they decided to not make it an epic concept album or whatever afterall, because the previous one was just loving boring. But this one? Just straight up no-nonsense Heavy loving Metal like only Manowar can deliver it, and it kicks rear end. I'm pretty surprised by how no-frills and sorta raw it sounds.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BjornOfBorg posted:

Why people (still) care about Korpiklaani is really beyond me.
Same here, I do like me some cheesy fun beer-drinking folk metal, but Korpiklaani are just boring to me.

Velocirocktor posted:

Anyone who cares about power metal might be interested to know that Kamelot has officially named Tommy Karevik of Seventh Wonder as their new vocalist.
This is good news, I like his style. He sounds really smooth and should be a great fit for Kamelot, certainly miles and miles better than Fabio Lione who I hate with a passion.
I just hope they get their songwriting chops back as well, their stuff after The Black Halo hasn't really done much for me.

EDIT: Yeah, Amon Amarth are pretty drat consistent and you won't really go wrong with any of their albums (Fate of Norns is debatable). Versus the World was the album that got me into them, especially Death in Fire which is one of the most badass songs in the history of time.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 22, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

If you don't get loving pumped listening to Thousand Years of Oppression you're not doing metal right.
Hey, I don't see how Death in Fire being my favourite track off the album would somehow stop me from loving the rest to bits as well.

Drifter287 posted:

While we're on the topic of Amon Amarth, I just need to mention that Embrace of the Endless Ocean loving owns bones.
Yes, it does. It's simultaneously loving badass (because it's Amon Amarth) and loving beautiful and tragic. The last lines of lyrics just make me well up like a bitch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just ask all the short blonde girls if they're the pit goddess. It'll work.
That actually sounds like a pretty good pickup line. Gotta try that sometime.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

Sometimes I enjoy listening to obscure covers of metal songs.

Here is Twilight of the Thunder God in Bluegrass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVkPwdn7QEY
Holy poo poo. I loved that Amon Amarth cover, so I'm listening to their other stuff now, and goddamnit these guys are amazing. This poo poo is so much fun.

I love me some good cross-genre covers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
To get something more amiable to the table here:

A lot of pages back some people were gushing about the debut album of Jess and The Ancient Ones coming out soon.

Well, the album's been out for a while now, and JESUS CHRIST GUYS it's so many kinds of amazing. This poo poo is like, if 70's Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had a baby girl who grew up to be totally loving awesome.

Okay, yeah, I'm getting carried away here, but it's just because I'm just listening to this song while I type and hhnnnNNNNGGSDGF.

http://youtu.be/ofI2heJhcOc

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The last time Korpiklaani were somewhat interesting was when they were still called Shaman and had their lyrics in the Sami language. And that was like 10 years ago.

Now, I do love me some good cheesy beer-drinking pagan forest metal, but Korpiklaani were always too loving by-the-books about it, like they read a folk metal 101 and went to studio without really understanding what's the jist of the thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Post some god drat Power Metal y'all
Righto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6RltOE-JTQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Blind Guardian has a great name and I will test them against my ears later.
Yes, do so, Blind Guardian are loving awesome. Fiendish Dr. Wu is also correct about their sound changing over time, they were a lot more stripped down earlier in their career. Regardless, they've always sounded pretty unique. You should indeed try out their songs from all over their career.

Now, to continue on the slightly folky side of things:
Wuthering Heights are amazing and you should try them out too.
They have some fantastic guitar leads and melodies, and one of the best heavy metal vocalists around today, imo. Also drat good lyrics. Their latest album, Salt, is one of my favourite albums in many years.

Also, since you seemed to like trad metal like Dio and JP, you should try out Astral Doors, who have the same vocalist as Wuthering Heights and are just generally really loving kickass traditional metal. The Best Of-compilation named after this song is a good starter package.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

It's pretty goddamn awesome being there. You should try to see them live at least once to experience it.
Seconding this, Blind Guardian are a loving magical live band.
There's just something about the connection they have with the crowd that makes it amazing. Saw them in Tuska Open Air a few years back, and everyone (myself included) just kept singing along to all the bloody songs all the time. And yeah, they also played And Then There Was Silence and it loving owned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DOOP posted:

Another band I like that has awesome/"unique" vocals is Lost Horizon. Heiman's voice is just utterly fantastic and is one of the greatest voices ever in my opinion. His range is amazing and is one of the main reasons why Lost Horizon was so awesome. That wail during Highlander is amazing. Please go back to Lost Horizon and record a new album Daniel :ohdear:
Oh hell yeah, if they only came back I'd lose my loving mind. Heiman's singing is just out of this world. It's amazing just how effortlessly he seems to reach all those highest notes, he never ever sounds forced at all. The best power metal vocalist ever, hands down.
And of course the band's music is awesome too. They didn't even need orchestrations, just some spacey synth sounds were enough for the poo poo to sound so much larger than life.
I want more of this poo poo, come back Lost Horizon! :smith:

And uh, guys, Northern Kings did TWO 80s cover albums actually, and that was a few years ago already. It was the whole idea behind them, really. :P
I love the idea myself, especially since three of those four singers are drat great (Kakko can go gently caress himself, he sounds like a guddamn sheep). Too bad the execution of the idea is less than stellar, the tracks just sound so weak somehow.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I was just introduced to Falls of Rauros and holy poo poo this stuff is immense and beautiful. Just check it out, especially if you like Agalloch and other such atmospheric black metal stuff.
Also wanna mention that the album has some of the best production I've heard in ages. The sound is just so loving crisp and clear. Love it.

I'm gonna buy that album first thing when I get some money on my bank account, these guys deserve some drat support.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also looking for any metal that sounds like Agalloch's The Mantle album. I especially like the motif of using sound clips from films in the song if you know of any that do that.
Though they don't use movie clips, did you check out/are you familiar with Falls of Rauros whom I mentioned just a handful of messages back? I sure as hell am going to have them scratch my Agalloch-itch from time to time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are there any other quality bands similar to Ensiferum/Wintersun out there? Bonus points for good female lead singers, since I always enjoy that kind of voice in metal.
loving CRIMFALL, man. I wouldn't quite classify them as plain folk metal, but they do use a lot of Finnish folk elements. The song linked above is probably their folkiest. But since you mentioned Wintersun, I assume you're not that vehement about the folkiness. :v:
Also, Crimfall's female vocalist is just stellar. She sounds loving dramatic and emotional without being over-the-top operatic or anything.
Here's another song that's not really all that folky at all, but shows off her voice quite well.

EDIT: While browsing Youtube for Crimfall I came across Brymir. You might wanna give them a go as well, they kinda sound like a less folky but more symphonic Ensiferum. Not bad at all, gotta look into them more, myself.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 30, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just saw Sacred Reich live at the Porispere festival here in my home city.
Wasn't familiar at all with the band before they were announced for the festival, pretty much just listened to Surf Nicaragua and found it a drat good thrash piece.
But sweet mother of Moses, they were awesome live. Fantastic synergy with the crowd, really drat tight playing, good sounds. drat intense poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Steve Harris is going to release a solo album.

Really drat interesting news. Despite some good moments, the two last Iron Maiden albums have been somewhat meh overall, gonna be interesting to hear what he can do with a little change of pace.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

The new Ensiferum is streaming online!

http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/ensiferum/unsung_heroes/

More of the same since Jari left the band!
:aaa: Holy making GBS threads Christ, that intro track is loving gorgeous. Sounds like something co-written by Nobuo Uematsu and Basil Poledouris. gently caress.

Now playing In My Sword I Trust, which I've already heard plenty of times. I understand if a lot of people will find it uninspired and boring, but personally I love it. The orchestrations are bang on, the guitar leads are nice and I like that catchy-if-cheesy chorus. A drat solid Ensiferum track.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

Well, here is a minute of some new Wintersun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XDXvqTcCY

Maybe another minute in a year?
74 more minutes in about a month and a half, seeing how Time I already has a set release date and everything. As in, for real.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slate Action posted:

Time I is only 40 minutes long, but yes we will actually be getting some more Wintersun this year.

Really? drat, I could've sworn I read 75 minutes somewhere. But yeah, that's hardly relevant to my point.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Machinae Supremacy's new album coming out in October.

Totally loving stoked here. Every one of their studio albums has been better than the previous one, and A View From The End Of The World is already one of my favourite albums ever. Kinda hoping they won't continue the trend, because if they do my loving head is going to explode into rainbow-coloured circuit board fragments.

Cover art looks great too, imo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like that fact that they have both serious and silly songs. Such as Indiscriminate Murder Is Counter-Productive and Remnant (March of the Undead IV), respectively.
Also, goddamn the buildup at the end of Remnant never fails to give me the chills. It's loving gorgeous.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

I dont know this band and this song is ok, but jesus, look at this concert. People are LAN gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQdTmw9cmg
Yup, notice "Live @ Assembly" in the title? Assembly isn't the name of the venue, but the event the gig was held in. Assembly is, as Wikipedia puts it, "a demoscene and gaming event". Basically an enormous loving LAN party that's held annually in one of the biggest ice hockey/multipurpose arenas here. So yeah, a fitting place for a MaSu gig. :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kjorteo posted:

Can anyone point me toward some clean, melodic stuff? I realize I'm pretty much living up to the Flower Metal stereotype here, but man, screw it, I just like my metal to be pretty, is that really so wrong.

Current top albums for me would be Avantasia's Angel of Babylon (all Avantasia is good, but anything from the Wicked Trilogy is especially good,) Symphony X's The Divine Wings of Tragedy and/or V: The New Mythology Suite, Masterplan's Aeronautics, Angra's Holy Land and/or Temple of Shadows, Symfonia's In Paradisum, and absolutely anything by Allen/Lande. Conversely, I get turned off by bands I like for their prettier stuff going too harsh (Helloween's 7 Sinners, most newer Symphony X) though admittedly I do love Blind Guardian. Those guys can be hard and still retain the melodic aspect, as just about anything on At the Edge of Time will attest.
If you like Avantasia, check out Tobias Sammet's "actual" band, Edguy. They've gotten a bit more rocky nowadays, but their earlier albums are pretty pure and undiluted euro power metal. Specifically, you'll want the albums Vain Glory Opera, Theater of Salvation and Mandrake.

Kamelot are pretty much as sleek and smooth as metal can get. One of the best power metal bands around, or at least used to be. A good album to start with is Karma. If you want bigger stuff with more orchestra and choirs and stuff, try The Black Halo. If you want more regular power metal, The Fourth Legacy.

Twilightning did a couple grade A melodic power metal albums before going a bit weird and then disbanding. Namely, Delirium Veil and Plague-House Puppet Show.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Optimum Gulps posted:

edit: poo poo, forgot Lost Horizon. Cheesy as hell, but I'll be damned if the Highlander song isn't unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU
gently caress yes. No idea why I didn't recommend them (again). Daniel Heiman has some incredible loving pipes. (I have the WOOAAAOOOAAAAOOHHH part from Highlander as my phone's ringtone, btw.)

I also have this annoying nagging feeling that I'm forgetting some painfully obvious recommendation, but it's eluding me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fingers McGee posted:

If I see Eluveitie live can I raid the stage with a battleaxe and take Anna Murphy as my salt wife?
Why are you asking that instead of just paying the iron price and getting it done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Wintersun's 'Time I' has been delayed again, it's release is being pushed back once more.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179413
SON OF A.... Well okay, just a single week. At this point one week doesn't even count as a delay, really.

On an unrelated note, what's the general opinion on Satyricon here? I've been listening to Age of Nero and Now, Diabolical lately and I enjoy both quite a bit. Where do I go from here?