Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have reccomendations for folk metal like Agalloch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Wow these guys are awesome thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have any decent quality videos of Per Ohlin (Dead) singing for Mayhem?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Okay so quick question why does Robert Trujillo play his bass so low? I was watching Quebec Magnetic and it was down to his knees.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I'm a huge Amon Amarth fan and noticed they were playing in my city in February. Would this be an event that would be suitable/safe to bring my 15 year old kid brother along?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Monkeytime posted:

Having seen them a couple of times (and as a parent myself) definitely yes. Johan always seemed to be having a good time bantering with the crowd and the pits are relatively tame. It's a fun rock show, not some INVOKING THE DARK RITUAL routine. I'm in the US; I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thank you! After talking about it with his parents and doing a bit of research as well as this I think I'm gonna take him. Might keep him away from the pits but if they're relatively tame it's part of the experience. Can't wait now!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know the song name at the very beginning of Until the Light Take Us? It's not a metal song but I figured this would be the best place to ask. The one literally that starts within the first minute.

EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-FAk3Z-kg

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 19, 2013

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are the best bands for prog metal? I'm a begginer in prog metal and am looking for a good place to start.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello all I need some reccomendations. What are some epic, fantasy based metal bands? Something that makes me say "I WANT TO SLAY SOME DRAGONS!". On a huge Amon Amarth kick and looking for similar stuff. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

Oh god no. If you go into straight Dragon Slaying, you're going into power metal territory. Amon Amarth is sort of an outlier, because they do fantasy material but with growling. If I know anything about your tastes, power metal is going to lack aggression and you'll be bored with it. If you like Amon Amarth check out other melo-death bands. At the Gates, Soilwork, Carcass, The Haunted, etc.

Also, get an album called "Those Once Loyal" by Bolt Thrower. Not the same genre but I think you will like it.

Hmm yes, while the other people gave me what I asked for I can definitely see what you mean...melo-death is what I was looking for but with fantasy elements. I will check those out.

Thank you all!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ah so many reccomendations! I have a 6 hour drive tomorrow so I will put them on and be sure to tell you guys what I think!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

Try Battlelore if you want a more gothic metally sound. They're pretty much LARPing, The Band.

Wow these guys are awesome. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I agree. Amon Amarth shows are awesome. I can't wait to see them in February!

If you like black metal, Gorgoroth (/God Seed) put on an awesome show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8BkcIzG7M

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Got my tickets to see Amon Amarth featuring Skeletonwitch and Enslaved! I am so beyond psyched!

Has anyone ever seen Battlelore live? I love their music but I'm not sure I'm quite nerdy enough to go to one of their concerts...unless they're really fun. What do you all think?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nightwish concerts looked a bit like a WoW and/or high school goth reunion/convention. I imagine Battlelore is that times 100.

I looked up a video...holy poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Oqxl13pCU

Will definitely be skipping their concerts, I don't think I could handle that. It's a shame that they have those lovely costumes and theatrics, I actually really like their music, and the female singer has a beautiful voice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gorilla Radio posted:

Battlelore is on hiatus and won't be touring any time soon. Do you mean Battlesoul or Battlecross?

No I meant Battlelore, I assumed that they were touring. Oh well, either way it works out.

How does Amon Amarth do live? I've never been to one of their shows but goddamn do I love their music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nordick posted:

Amon Amarth are great live, don't miss them.

Also, you were asking for stuff in the Recommendation Megathread a while back and I told you to check out Crimfall, did you catch that? Because you totally should check them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_lloiegPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6FSDDDe0jA

No I missed that sorry, but holy poo poo those guys are amazing. I love them! Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I was listening to some Crimfall and found these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWphWwO5gG8

I think that they are pretty good. What do you all think of them?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I haven't checked out Ensiferum yet but will definitely do so tonight. Thanks!

What are some of the best power metal bands? I resubbed to WoW and would love some good power metal to go along with it.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 23, 2013

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Optimum Gulps posted:

The best :airquote:unknown:airquote: album of 2013 is the collaboration between St. Louis bands The Lion's Daughter (black/sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk) entitled A Black Sea.
Here's a track from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

Wow that's actually really good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Falls Motel posted:

Anyone get down on Argus' Beyond the Martyrs? Came up in my Facebook feed today. Album title / artwork is a little poo poo but the music makes up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHCwRYBFrY

Not my usual cuppa but it's awesome.

That cover art is absolutely atrocious but the music is really good. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have reccomendations for bands similar to Enslaved? I'm seeing them live in February with Amon Amarth and Skeletonwitch and can't wait, I really like their sound.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you all! :D

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

While we're on the topic of metal merch, I am looking for a Per Ohlin t-shirt. I need it within the week so I don't have time to have one printed. If anyone has a link to one it would be much appreciated.

On a different note, I remember reading somewhere that Taake had some trouble getting into the US? Is that true?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sheizerbrick posted:

Hey metal thread, I'm going to be in the US through February, is there a good gig guide website to see who's playing, or should I be looking for gig guides in each city I'm staying?

There's not really like a general website for all gigs, but going to local venues and checking it out and searching the web for concerts always works for me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I was listening to some Gloryhammer and these guys are actually good. It is ridiculous epic fantasy-power metal, but I loved it! It's really fun music. What do you guys think of it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Amon Amarth kicked serious rear end last night.

My neck hurts, but not from headbanging; some crowdsurfer fell on me.

As soon as Johan Hegg walked out wearing a Bruins jersey you knew it was going to be a good show.

Seriously though, Amon Amarth kicked loving rear end. It was my first time seeing them and I was completely blown away. The crowd was crazy, I windmilled harder than I ever have, Hegg was amazing at audience interaction, the band was spot on in every way. The crowd was amazing too. The best metal performance of my life.

Enslaved were really good too, I wasn't too familiar with them but I thought they were amazing live. Skeletonwitch was fun as always, a good opener for the other too, and Chance Garnette was hilarious (BOSTON! GO EAT SOME loving PUSSY!")

Overall a blast of a show at a perfect venue. Great time.

Plus some kid in a wheelchair got lifted up and crowdsurfed to the front where he got to fistbump Hegg. That was loving awesome.

Also, Amon Amarth jersey. gently caress yes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Alcest either.

Anyone got some more reccomendations for depressive black suicide funeral metal? Think like Nortt.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the reccomendations everyone!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I need some reccomendations for goofy, fun, swords and wizards and spaceships and dragons epic power metal!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Varg posted:

Seriously go see Anvil sometime if you can. It's a loving tragedy that these guys aren't playing for thousands of people every night considering their history. Robb Reiner is a madman, the best drummer I've seen aside from Gene Hoglan.

found this vid someone next to me took last night - http://tinypic.com/r/2eyynvq/8

Anvil plays two days from now in my hometown, I'm pretty pissed I can't go. Seriously though, even if you're not a huge fan you should go see them, they make pretty good music and deserve a lot more than they get if not simply for their dedication and love of the music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anybody have more epic power/metal opera type stuff? Along the lines of Avantasia or The Doomstar Requiem

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some similar power metal operas? I've been listening to Avantasia recently and love it. Stuff like The Metal Opera or The Doomstar Requiem by Dethklok.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do the Black Veil Brides even call themselves metal? I was under the impression they were like glam hard rock. Same with Linkin Park, I didn't know they were considered metal. But I really don't listen to metalcore/deathcore at all so I can't really say. Behemoth and Tryptikon seem so oddly out of place on that list.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I really don't know a lot about American metal besides the early thrash stuff. I mainly listen to black metal/DSBM and from a cultural standpoint it is amazing how the two are even both called metal. In America, "metal" is seen as a very rebellious, teenage-angst "phase" type of music because they think of bands like the BVB while in Europe/Scandanavia it is considered much more a serious, emotionally complex art because they think of bands such as Mayhem or Taake. This is just my personal experience, I'm not saying that this applies to everyone, but when I am in America and tell people I am a metalhead I usually get a much different reaction from people than when I am in say Norway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

In the states when you say you're into metal they're always like "Yeah I like [insert revolver top 20 metal band here ]" and it's terrible

and then when you try to explain that you only like trve kvlt black metal you come off as an extremely pretentious douchey music snob even though I'm honestly just trying to explain my musical tastes and how when I say the word "metal" I mean something completely different than the revolver top 20.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

"What type of music do you like?"
"Metal"
"Oh like screamo?"
"Well no, just because it has harsh vocals doesn't mean it's screamo"
"You see bro all that poo poo just sounds the same to me, all just yelling"
"Well actually screamo is it's own genre that came out of post hardcore in the nineties..."
"Wow bro way to be a pretentious music douche"
"No I'm just trying to say-"
"whatever man enjoy your stupid noisey yelling music."

I've had this conversation more times than I care to admit.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

"What type of music do you like?"
"Depressive suicidal black metal from Scandanavia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

While it may be just a bit premature, I'd like to nominate Napalm Death's Apex Predator - Easy Meat for album art of the year (2015).

Oh, yeah. The new song rules too!

The "Tenderized Chunks of Weakling" is what sold it for me.