Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Because it's a tired old gimmick where fat nerds who think pirates are cool get to listen to generic accordions layered over cock-rock guitar riffs while pretending they are living in a year where electric guitars never existed. It's like gangster rap about proofs by induction or 80's synth-pop about heterosexual relationships. It doesn't go together and everyone involved in those scenes are laughing at you constantly while you dress up like a tool thinking you're awesome.

Basically we're better than you.

The problem with this statement is that you could do a few word replacements and it would fit basically every metal subgenre.

Get over yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defiant Sally posted:

(Also theres a prog thread around here somewhere. Opeth chat should probably go in there.)

What, is there no boring soulless crap thread?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BSchlang posted:

You never forget your first time rocking the gently caress out

Yeah but you can always go put on Master of Puppets, or the far superior Dream Theater cover, and not bother with trying to deal with modern day Metallica.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

catbread.jpg posted:

Look at all these terrible words

Sabbath debate? What is it, last week?

Anyway the new Dream Theater owns really hard if you like Dream Theater back when they were good. I can't stop listening to it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Within Temptation even still plays at metal shows? Why?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah get some Altamas or something if you're dumping a bunch of money anyway. At least you can double them as great poo poo weather boots or regular footwear if you can get away with or want to use combat boots for that. They will last forever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cold Day posted:

Technical and Progressive. Maybe event Avant-Garde. Words mostly used to make poor music sound not so poor.

Those words used to mean more than they do now, to be fair. Especially prog. Now all you need is a few time signature changes, no matter how sloppy or pointless, and some wankery and people will call you prog.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nam Taf posted:

With Oden On Our Side and Versus the World are their best albums.

Seconded. But Amon Amarth is pretty consistent so it's hard to go really wrong with them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BSchlang posted:

Be honest, who else discovered Skeletonwitch by playing Brütal Legend?

I was aware of their existence before I played it, but yeah, pretty much that was where I first heard them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sab669 posted:

Very mixed feelings over Road Salt Two :(

This month has been extremely disappointing- I was looking forward to Heritage, A Dramatic Turn of Events, and this so much. And none of them are what I hoped they'd be.

What were you expecting out of ADTOE? It's the best thing Dream Theater has done in over 10 years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thanks to the thread I pulled out some Blind Guardian. Been a long time.

Apparently I got the remaster of Imaginations from the Other Side, it's actually quite an improvement over the original. The backup vocals are really clear, and a lot of other stuff outside the main guitar parts/drums are a lot cleaner in the mix.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 5, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know Primordial only ever seem to do one thing, so what is the album that they do that thing best? I don't want to buy the whole discography when that basically means buying 1 CD 5 times.

I don't agree with that at all, but The Gathering Wilderness.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Powerglove sucks.

Having had the displeasure of seeing them live, yes, Powerglove loving sucks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rion.exe posted:

thrash

I don't listen to a ton of thrash, but The Absence is pretty good stuff and I don't think I saw them mentioned yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCyQ7MAZ-c

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't really get Opeth, but that picture is just so loving awesome. It's all :3: but also :black101:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No offense to the recommendations, but my god stay away from recent Amorphis. Their current vocalist can't sing clean for poo poo so they use a disgusting amount of autotune on him, yet they keep having him do more and more clean vocals. Silent Waters and before is good though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoo posted:

On a completely different note, holy poo poo I just heard the new Taake album. Love the banjo solo :banjo:

I burst out laughing every single time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoat posted:

Holy poo poo this stuff is literally 10x worse than I expected it to be. God it's embarrassing I am literally cringing. If you really do need to be cooler/cleverer than I am to think this is anything but unlistenable nonsense then honestly I am happy in my ignorance.

I held off on listening to it until tonight because I couldn't give a gently caress about Metallica and I don't know who Lou Reed is, but my god... this is probably literally the worst music I have ever heard. And while yeah I mostly listen to metal I am not particularly picky as long as music is done well. This was just... what kind of collective delusion led them to think this was good?

It's not even trashy pop music good like top 40 stuff, it's just... what the hell?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 22, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

brucio posted:

I agree with everything else you said but.. wow, really? Never heard of him? I didn't know it was possible to be into current western music and not have a clue who Lou Reed is.

Nope, nothing. It's certainly possible I've heard his stuff but just don't know it. A very quick glance at wikipedia didn't really ring any bells though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

plester1 posted:

Don't forget to link the doom metal and black metal threads.

Maybe even acknowledge the metalcore and djent threads if you're feeling generous.

What is "djent" anyway?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Djent is one of the dumbest things to happen to music.

Having listened to some of the recommendations of it, I really don't see how it's even its own subgenre, but whatever floats people's boatviking longship.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, the promoters oversold the show so hard they got arrested for it.

All "Metallica can oversell shows?" jokes aside, I can see cancelling that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thepitgoddess posted:

Symphony X/ Iced Earth/ Warbringer (really?) Tour:

What the hell, nothing around DC? I mean I just saw them in like July but come on.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How often do people actually know what you're supposed to be in a Gaahl costume, out of curiosity?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

Plastichead sells GREAT merch. And usually designs I don't see on other sites like JSR and the rest. You pay for it, but it is 100% worth the money.

Their shirts run a bit on the small side, which is worth bearing in mind, but yeah their stuff is quality. I have a Blood Fire Death shirt from them and it's got sparkly stuff in the gold ink for gently caress's sake.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Why wear anything but 5 for a dollar wal-mart t-shirts then?

Also they are definitely conversation starters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, I kind of doubt I'll ever get to see a Bathory show for quite a few reasons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

That's funny you say that because I've found they're one of the only 2xl shirt places made for tall instead of fat.

But yeah they ABSOLUTELY put top effort into their shirts. My Emperor shirt has the gold glittery lettering, sleeve emblems, a sweet faded in cover on the back. I got a Death/Leprosy shirt too that is unreal, and no other place sells it.

If only I was tall...

MrBling posted:

I really wish bands would stop putting poo poo on the back of their shirts.

So many potentially good shirts are ruined by some horrible design or text on the back.

An equal number of long sleeved shirts are ruined by terribly designs going down the sleeves.

Check out Primordial's newest batch of shirts. Sleeve prints all over the place. On short sleeves.

I realize we're a cut above average around here, but why do bands keep thinking this is a good thing to do?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Speaking of bootleg shirts, I just stumbled across this:

http://tshirtslayer.com/item/worst-bootleg-metal-shirts-ever

These are all amazing.

I completely lost it at the Mayhem/Satyricon one. They weren't even trying.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

Blackguard, Dragonforce, or Powerglove. Blind Guardian if you're at least civilized enough to take off the hat when you go indoors.

Powerglove if you've got a trench coat or duster to go with it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The show is far better than the music. But only the first 2 seasons or so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Good news gents, and the like 2 ladies, being into metal is now a disability! If you're in Sweden.

Here in the USA I guess I'll just continue wearing metal shirts under my dress shirts. :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

I threw in the new Taake again last night. It's such an amazingly solid album. Also, the banjo solo on "Myr" is hilarious every time.

That song is great when you're feeling kind of lovely because black metal is good for that anyway, and then BAM, loving banjo solo to make you laugh. It will never not be funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

But absolutely and definitely SAMAEL. These guys have gone from some really drat kickass black metal in the early 90s to some sorta cyber metal, and have stayed awesome as gently caress the entire time.

Some more Samael.
And more Samael.
Also, Samael.

Well if Revol doesn't like this, I sure do, so thanks!

Sounds a bit like if The Project Hate used way more keyboard. So I guess maybe he should check them out too: It's christians, they hate christians.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mizadaranatitanium posted:

Anyone got any band recommendations for someone who like bands like Gojira, The Ocean Collective, The Human Abstract, Swallow the Sun, Anaal Nathrakh etc..? PS anyone in this thread going to the Soundwave festival? Pretty sweet line up

Barren Earth. Same vocalist as Swallow the Sun I believe. Not as doomy, but pretty similar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As it's almost the end of the year - what were your top albums?

Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Taake - Kveld
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Mercenary - Metamorphosis
Darkestrah - Khagan
Orphaned Land - The Road to Or-Shalem
Haken - Visions
The Project Hate - Bleeding the New Apocalypse

No particular order, because I couldn't say whether Dream Theater or Primordial had the (in my opinion) best album of the year.

I didn't realize what a good year it's been. I usually can't think of 10 releases I really liked, and this year I'm actually leaving a lot off. Also apparently I really need to listen to the new Tyr.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

het posted:

Also, poo poo, I missed a Darkestrah album?

It's an EP, but it's really good stuff.

So it seems like everyone here liked WitTR this year. And that seems like just about all we agree on.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Not liking them's all fine and dandy, we all have our own tastes, but that latter part just plain doesn't make sense because their sounds are nothing alike.
I mean yeah, sure, both make long tracks of atmospheric metal, but that's just about the extent of their similarity. So what the hell?

Yeah I don't understand this comparison either.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter287 posted:

New Swallow the Sun video dropped yesterday, featuring the singer from Nightwish. You guys seen it yet? It's a little different but I dig it.

http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1.php/2012/01/05/premiere-swallow-the-sun-unveil-the-video-to-cathedral-walls

Really don't like the Nightwish singer being there, but otherwise it's pretty good. Same problem here as on Nightwish albums, she sounds like her vocals have been run through so many computers I can't tell what she actually sounds like or if she is an actual human and not a particularly hungry cat someone let into the studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

captainOrbital posted:

So like what's the problem that everyone has with Lars (aside from being a Danish twat)? I was listening to HoS and Call of Ktulu (and some other stuff that came up on shuffle) and his drumming sounds OK to me. What is it that I'm missing?

Don't say ears.

His drumming is, just as you said, ok. That's about the best you can sat for it. And even then it's only ok in context. It's par for metal being made 20+ years ago, but a lot has changed since then, and while I personally think Metallica branched off into alt-rock or whatever back in the 90s and the comparison may be unwarranted, he certainly can't stand up to even kind of bad metal drummers today. I mean sure, he could carry the beat for Nickelback or something perfectly fine, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

Also he's such a loving twat. I got nothing against Danes though.