Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's funny that you say that, because as far as I know they have had two drummers for album stuff. John Haughm (vocalist) did all but the most recent album, which was done by Aesop from Worm Ouroboros (also does a music blog). They are completely different kinds of drummers, so it's odd to hear you lump them together like that.

Yeah that's a really strange thing to say. The drumming on Marrow of the Spirit sounds very different from all their previous albums (in a kinda bad way) and I guess you've just explained why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cm8C1TpPkUQ

Falconer out of (and in the middle of) nowhere.

This marginally reduces my dislike of Mini drivers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaggins posted:

Haha this is great. You can see cars whizzing along behind them (7:16 is a good example).

I love it, it's like they didn't want to walk more than 10 yards from their minivans so they just said gently caress it we'll film along the highway median.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Philthy posted:

Is this a parody of black metal bands or something? The guy has dozens of these videos of just him crab walking and fake playing at a bunch of different outdoor locales. Why would anyone spend that much effort.

Youtube allows the mentally ill to provide us with a window into their minds.

Also every time I see someone crab walking it makes me think of Dr. Zoidberg in corpse paint trying to play guitar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

A Russian "pagan metal" band (Welicoruss) contacted our zine to review their album. I was expecting an Arkona clone.
I was wrong. This is loving epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Ei18hg1vU

Good stuff. Reminds me a lot of Arafel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Capitulator posted:

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

I just looked them up on youtube and this is pretty boring stuff. I guess I just dislike them because they're popular though even though this is the first I've actually heard their music (to my knowledge anyway, it's really generic).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Agalloch has a 30-date US tour this year. Now I'm calling my doctor, because my erection has lasted for more than four hours.

Link? I can't find anything about a 2012 tour.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ah, no dates yet. I really hope they come around DC.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Packard Goose posted:

Opeth – These guys have kinda strayed away from metal as far as I’m concerned, but I guess that comes with being ‘progressive.’ On one CD you can go from gutteral vocals like Ghost of Perdition and The Conjuring to Damnation and Atonement, and even Godheads Lament where you have both in one song! I *love* a metal band that can growl and harmonize like Akerfeldt.

ALL THE REST:

I've heard a few folk metal bands, Korpiklanni being one of them and it's not too bad. If anyone can suggest more bands to check out based on the handful I have I'd probably hug you IRL.

I find Opeth to be boring and soulless, but you might give Orphaned Land a try if you like progish metal with vocals running from harsh to clean. You might also try Primordial. edit: Newer Amorphis if you can handle a 70 thousand ton cruiseshipload of autotune on the clean vocals.

From your list I see that you like the female fronted stuff a lot. Check out Epica, not only for that, but for the fact that they named themselves after a Kamelot album and you also like them. After Forever is probably up your alley as well.

Folk metal: Eluveitie are big and fairly accessible. Falconer is probably something you would like (skip the albums without Mathias Blad). If you want to go back to its roots, Skyclad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Packard Goose posted:

I do have some Epica, but I don't care for them that much. I also like Edenbridge (which isn't a bad thing), but they're more power metal sounding to me. Within Temptation is another good female fronted band though they are pretty poppy sounding.

I can't beleive there is autotune in metal. I'll be sure to avoid that. I wrote the rest down, and I think I've heard of Skyclad. A co-worker said Wintersun is pretty good, confirm/deny?

Yeah, back when I listened to that stuff I didn't like Epica much either, they're good live though. Within Temptation, I don't know if you've listened to their earlier stuff, but I liked it during that phase - before they decided to become Evanescence or whatever.

Yeah, it's because the current singer sucks at clean vocals. If you have an ear for pitch correction and poo poo like that he can be hard to listen to because it's very very obvious. It's a shame because the music is pretty good.

Skyclad is one of my favorites and is one of the few metal bands I've found non-metal people will tolerate, at least their newer stuff is. My friend who is into legit folk like with banjos and stand up basses and poo poo likes them. And she better after dragging me to those concerts.

I have a Wintersun album but I haven't listened to them very much so I can't say.

Your tastes are relatively similar to mine a bunch of years ago, so I'm going to ask if you've listened to Symphony X or older Sonata Arctica, because those still hold up for me now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Incoherence posted:

You didn't notice Kamelot's obnoxious tendency to autotune the gently caress out of everything recently?

Roy Kahn's voice, like many, many others, is processed a bit on the albums, but I've heard him live many times and he is quite good and not reliant upon computer processing to sound good. Recently? I don't know. I really didn't care for their last album at all so I don't know, but the guy does have a great voice.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

The only Symphony X album I listen to regularly is their first... I'm broken.

That's the only one I can't listen to. :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Durendal posted:

Any ways we get there and wait for the terrible opening act to get done and finally Symphony X got up on stage. There may have been 60 people there at the timeand only played a short set, Blind Gaurdian had like 200 or so people later and played a marathon of a set. Flash forward to last summer when they were doing their tour for Iconoclast, that same place was packed with around 700 people. This time though they were all there for Symphony X and it loving ruled.

Haha, the first time I saw Symphony X it had to have been that same tour because BG was headlining and we had no idea who they were at that point either. The venue was packed then and last summer, but Jaxx is a tiny dive of a place anyway and probably can't even hold 200 people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Packard Goose posted:

Falconer isn't too bad, and this is folk metal right?

Yeah. Folk/power metal generally. They're way more folky on their latest release.

Packard Goose posted:

I don't really care for Moonsorrow. It has too much black metal influence for my tastes

I always found them to be a bit ostentatious, but a good deal of folk metal right now has black metal tinges. Also black metal is pretty awesome so you should try to get over that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I suddenly have to take back the bad things I've said about that one Dream Theater song about stem cell research.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well if we're going into power metal territory with the sci fi recommendations then you really have to mention Star One, another Lucassen project. Songs about Dune, Trek, Stargate, and random lovely Sci-Fi Original type movies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Good Citizen posted:

Is there anything else out there like the first Falconer CD? I love that CD but their later stuff is so hit or miss.

Mithotyn is basically the band that would become Falconer but with harsh vocals.

I didn't care much for it (I think Falconer has generally improved albeit with some missteps), but you may, the actual music is very much like what earlier Falconer was.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Ozzy even aware of the world around him at this point?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

Read this somewhere else and it really sheds some light on the whole Ozzy legacy.

I'm not really big on Sabbath or Ozzy in general, but I have no problem believing most of that.

My question was really more like "can Ozzy even perform a 45 minute set without forgetting where he is and possibly soiling himself?" I'm just not sure the guy qualifies as technically conscious at this point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

To Battle posted:

Oh poo poo, Swallow the Sun put out a new album, how the hell did I miss that?

Only been out about a week anyway.

I think it's pretty good. Actually I find myself liking it more than their previous stuff. There's no songs that just plain draaaaaaag like they usually have.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spookygonk posted:

Agreed. Fisher, from his (almost constant) windmill headbanging, has also the thickest neck of anyone I've seen:

Just look at it!

It's like someone put a face on a tree.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Meclin posted:

Has anyone caught the newish show "Metal Evolution" on VH-1 Classic? It is an expansion of the documentary A Headbangers Journey. The host is a Canadian headbanging sociologist. I was unaware of the European power metal scene, besides Malmstein, and they did a whole episode on the genre recently. I have been listening to Nightwish an embarrasing amount of time since hearing them on the show. Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?

Off the top of my head:
Sonata Arctica (Reckoning Night and prior; now they suck), Blind Guardian, Rage, Falconer, Edguy, Epica.

But I haven't listened to power metal in awhile.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Monkeytime posted:

Hammerfall, Demons and Wizards, Dragonforce in ascending order of hilarity.

I wish I could believe that Dragonforce is a joke band, but then I remember that time I had the misfortune of seeing Powerglove (I was there for Symphony X) and people were totally into it.

Nothing wrong with Demons and Wizards though, those are two really solid albums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Captain Cancer posted:

I really loving love 'Murder' by Katatonia, but not really the rest of their songs from what I've heard. Anything else like Murder I should seek out (by any band)? The music at the beginning/end of the track is just magnificent.

EDIT: Seems the answer was "Agalloch"

The answer is always Agalloch. Honestly though, I've heard the Katatonia comparison before and don't agree with it at all. Katatonia is boring as all get out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pretentious Turtle posted:

How are they even applicable for that category?

Because it's the Grammys. If something even vaguely metal-like is even nominated it's surprising and probably was a mistake.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

henpod posted:

I just remember some past thread title being 'let Alestorm walk the plank' and people whining about how lame they were. Like you guys said, its just some fun and they do have catchy songs. There was quite an insane moshpit during Keelhauled.

I believe that was Swashbuckle.

And yeah Sonata Arctica sucks so hard now, it's a shame. At least "Shitload of Money" is honest.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

Is this real?
It looks like one of those lovely fantasy novels in the "Sales" bin at a bookstore-.

You're not familiar with AA Lucassen, are you?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

futile posted:

Well I have now. A decent laugh from Gwar and Agalloch and maybe a tear at the Mustaine thing. Then I noticed the image at the top. Love it.

Eh, it doesn't surprise me from Mustaine, although I'd heard about him and Santorum before. I do think I have to agree with Gwar on this one though.

They should see what good old Varg has to say.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man 747s just all sound the same these days, loving same recycled noise over and over, it's just so stagnant and boring.

Now, the A380s, I mean at least they're trying something new, not the same old DC10 worship I hear out of all the other jetliners. :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter287 posted:

I feel like even people who really really like Amon Amarth will readily tell you that this is the caveat. On the other hand, they do what they do well and it's consistently enjoyable when that's what you're in the mood for.

And there's nothing like knocking out the home stretch of a run or lifting weights to Cry of the Black Birds.

I think that's generally considered a positive thing, if you like what Amon Amarth does. Yeah, they're not innovating or anything, but with them you know exactly what you're getting and there's really something to be said for that. I could see how it could get stale for some people though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Varg probably?

:downsrim:

If ever there was someone to profile boarding a plane to search for knives, it's this combination right here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

Did I just hear the line "I'm losing my insanity" in that teaser?

This poo poo is approaching Dan Swano-bad.

I heard it too. Although, really, their lyrics have always been hilariously awful. It's a shame the music sucks now too.

Oh Sonata Arctica, I hope the "shitload of money" was worth it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Durendal posted:

The moment I will step aside, you're ready for another ride
Walking in the cool night air without underwear
You have red light burning in your soul, I've seen the glow

Caught in the web again, inside your private den
Where you can go to moon
or meet some people you will never see
You are a file in there, money in an open fair
You're a slave among the slaves, waiting for Y2K with a fear

They know your life, they have a file about you
They built your life, so they...

Know what you like and know what you yearn,
but they don't know a thing about me
I'm not that easy, blank file in their memory

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoat posted:

So I thought you guys might be able to come up with some awful lyrics but you did a bad job because nobody even posted any Nightwish.

Sonata Arctica is quite a deep well when it comes to awful lyrics man. We're just not done with them yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martout posted:

WT is just poor mans Nightwish

I'm not sure I'd even call them that anymore. At least Nightwish kind of pretends to be metal still.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

Only one Roadrunner band really badly deserved to get things thrown at them until they got offstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ

I love completely out of place bands on a lineup exactly because of the toxic audience reactions.

And that new Dragonforce song isn't bad. I find them hard to hate, but that's partially because I think they're a cheesy gimmick band and they know it. Although that doesn't stop me hating Powerglove.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Clit Avoider posted:

Btw, for the other guy, Primordial have had very little to do with black metal for more than 15 years. They don't classify themselves as black metal either.

I loving love Primordial but what on earth do they classify themselves as?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doesn't Mike Portnoy have a bunch of Dream Theater tattoos? :laugh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

daddy_issues.mp3

Also music video Calvin would have been a lot happier if Hobbes was around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Weaponized Cum posted:

SA Metal Thread: no posts in a week, Sonata Arctica video gets posted and there are 15+ replies. Keep it up guys.

Yeah but it's really really horrible!