Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

deadwing posted:

haha I remember when I kinda liked these guys

in fairness, I was 13. Even Unia wasn't that terrible (yet still not good) in retrospect, but man oh man The Days of Gays was so awful. And this is going to be even more terrible.

They had some legit great albums. Unia confirmed that they were done though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nerve posted:

Full dates

I'll be at the Milwaukee show on the 17th. Very excited for this tour.

I can read every single one of those band logos.

Tour isn't metal enough.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CornHolio posted:

I've got Reckoning Night and bust it out every now and then. I never liked it enough to give any of their other albums a shot, though.

You should, the earlier ones are better.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

Aww the Rammstein thread seems to have slipped into oblivion. Seeing them on Saturday, psyched beyond all belief.

I am new to metal. Very new. Entry-level, minimum wage new. I enjoy things in languages I do not or barely speak, it helps me to get them a little better. (German/Swedish are favourites) Aside from Rammstein which I stumbled upon years ago thanks to my strange 90 year old german professor, I've recently been swimming around in Opeth, Dimmu Borgir and Manowar. I'm finding myself more attracted to the grand, orchestral songs with less cookie monster vocals. I can enjoy female vocals to the extent of Nightwish but that's kind of pushing it. Anyone got any suggestions? I have pretty broad music tastes and want to explore metal a little further.

Rammstien is kind of gateway metal but not quite metal metal. What do you like about them?

I'm going to suggest Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor. It has the German sensibilities you apparently like, along with being actual metal and some harsher vocals but not inaccessible and is also one of the best albums I think I have ever heard. On the more power metal end you may want to try Blind Guardian. Maybe Demons and Wizards (same vocalist as Blind Guardian, but a more american style). As much as the thread title shits on them, early Sonata Arctica is great gateway metal, as is Dream Theater if you like the prog sound at all. Same with Kamelot and Symphony X but less proggy.

Manowar, Opeth, and Dimmu are kind of poo poo honestly, but not bad starters. To cover black metal, which you've dipped into with Dimmu, try out the classics, like Burzum, Bathory, Immortal, Darkthrone, Taake, Watain. Want to get into more atmospheric/american black metal, try Wolves in the Throne Room or Agalloch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

Second Ashes Against the Grain. The entire album is amazing. The Mantle has my favorite songs though. "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion" is such an amazing song.

Agreeing with everything said here.

You can start anywhere with Agalloch and be ok because it's all good, but Ashes is where I got on board and the one I go back to the most.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

40ozOE posted:

That really is a shame. I don't know if he has medical condition, or just the stress of his personal losses, or whatever, but I could not believe it when I saw the band photos for Jon Oliva's Pain (or Circle II Circle). He was enormous and pale, just morbidly obese huge. He literally looked like Danny Devito as the Penguin from Batman Returns.

I saw him a couple years back and he had a chair on stage that some dude kept taking away when he'd get up and he kept having to go get it back. Eventually he just got pissed off and told them to leave his chair alone. :btroll:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nam Taf posted:

When you think about it, you just replace crippling cold with crippling heat, rolling snowy forests with rolling red desert and big deadly bears with small deadly insects. All the grimness is still there.

Practically every living thing in Australia seems to want to kill people so it's pretty metal. Plus kangaroos don't need to use drum triggers with legs that strong.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dead Man Posting posted:

Sorry, on my phone and can't listen right now, but is this essentially nu-metal?

Also, loving Aussie Metal Week so far.

No, it's just techno. I was at least expecting something like KMFDM or Front Line Assembly but there's absolutely nothing metal about it at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not Very Metal posted:

wait, why did he start calling them "cuntress" again?

Because the singer has lady parts I guess, and for some reason that makes him very angry. No good female fronted metal bands, really? What a dumbass.

I didn't like the song, but it wasn't because of that. I did crack up laughing when the video had some artsy shots of a loving van though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Huh, I didn't even know Arkona was female fronted.

I love Darkestrah though. Didn't know it was female fronted at first either. False registry vocals don't really give gender away.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is anyone else annoyed by the statement "I don't even like metal, but Metalocalypse is hilarious!" I don't care if non-metalheads enjoy the show, that's great, but don't act like you're too good for the music. Besides, if you're not into metal, you're not even going to get 90% of the references.

I'm more annoyed that Dethklok is an actual thing outside the tv show and that people think it's good music.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

This is your friend: 2012 in Heavy Metal music (Wikipedia).

Holy poo poo, the new Rush cd is out in a month, how did that fall off my radar?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Varg is a total goon

Shocker!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

s0nar posted:

It's a sad day when a concert-goer realizes that horrible truth.

"Let's get there early so we don't have to stand." :corsair:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

I don't really get moshing either, but I also don't don't see why you have to be a great big homophobe about it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sab669 posted:

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.

After the single they put out was even worse than expected the only interest I have is hearing just how awful "Shitload of Money" is because that loving song title.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Schizotek posted:

NPR? The radio channel with all the classy music and awesome (comparatively to all the other lovely sources of news in america) news? Jazz? Beethoven? News? THAT NPR!?!?!

That NPR. They also love them some of that "post"-whatever style black metal and I recall seeing at least 2 mentions for Aggaloch and I think WITTR and Alcest.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How have their lovely albums sold though? I don't want to accuse them of trying to appear to a wider audience if that is not in fact what is happening. But they sure don't seem to give a poo poo about their prior fans.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dead Man Posting posted:

I would say we should have had a mom metal week near Mother's Day, but I have no idea what my mother listens to :iiam:

My mom listens to Sprinsteen and other mom rock. My dad listens to, uh, soccer?

I don't know what happened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defleshed posted:

I know this is the metal thread, but Springsteen owns. He owns. :colbert:

I cannot agree. He's a marble mouthed jackass who has written the same bad song for 30 years.

I'm not a music snob, I've been dragged to a christian folk concert and mostly enjoyed it. Springesteen is just terrible antiquated pop music by a guy who can't sing for poo poo.

If I ever in the highly unlikely event have children, they will be raised on a steady diet of black metal and classic metal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wyzt posted:

I don't think theres any thrash bands from the last 10 or more years that I can stand listening to anymore apart from Birth AD(aka warbringer sucks)

The Absence were good, so were Into Eternity until they made that album about cancer, actually I'm not sure Into Eternity was thrash at all. I really don't like thrash at all either. Eh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I haven't listened to Slayer since like 2000 but Reign in Blood rocked.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defleshed posted:

14 bids from basement trolls who just can't wait to take a deeeeeeep sniff...

I know metal doesn't pay very well but :ughh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joborgzorz posted:

I'm in the same boat, except the crap lawn seats are $80 (possibly more, not sure if that includes tax or not). :negative:

I'd love to see Maiden before I or they die, but I'm not paying that much for anyone, except maybe Rush.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Literally the only good thing I can say about Powerglove is that at least they're self-aware that they're a bad joke.

Drifter287 posted:

Metal thread, it's time for the semi-annual request for Amon Amarth recommendations. If I love the poo poo out of Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side, and the only other AA album I own is Surtur Rising (which was decent), where do I go next?

Versus the World, now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Versus the World was the album that got me into them, especially Death in Fire which is one of the most badass songs in the history of time.

If you don't get loving pumped listening to Thousand Years of Oppression you're not doing metal right.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Hey, I don't see how Death in Fire being my favourite track off the album would somehow stop me from loving the rest to bits as well.

I didn't mean to imply that, just that it's a loving awesome song.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sorry you hate fun, man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK so Topshop (a fashion store aimed at young women in the UK, for non-Brits) sells a Slayer shirt. Fine. Whatever. They've been selling Iron Maiden/Motörhead etc. t-shirts for many years, and metalheads roll their eyes but generally get on with life.

But this time they've managed to sell a shirt which has - alongside the Slayer logo - the Totenkopf insignia used by the 3rd SS Division. Hahahaha good loving job, Topshop buyers.

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/s...r&resultCount=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Division_Totenkopf

Not that unlicensed merch is anything new in the metal world, isn't this a bit too hilariously blatant for whoever manages Slayer NOT to stir poo poo up?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

One time I was wearing my Burzum shirt and some junkie looking dude stopped me and opened up my jacket and said it was cool.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Korpiklaani should probably stick to writing songs about getting shitfaced in the forest. That song was aggressively boring.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

I'd love to hear what it was supposed to sound like before Celemony got a hold of the recordings.

I'd love to hear what it was supposed to sound like with a competent vocalist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

I know including Queensryche in here is questionable at best, but this was an incredible read: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176587

I think this is without question the most hosed up band static ever and Geoff Tate's made Axl Rose seem accommodating and rational...

quote:

A co-headline with the band DREAM THEATER was another great concept, but due to a mudslinging press war between Geoff Tate and with the drummer of that band, it ended up being an uncomfortable and trying time for us as a united group.

I laughed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

Is Vice a reputable publication or a hipster trolling site?

The quality varies wildly.

The same website is responsible for that rather good documentary on black metal the infamous ".............. Satan." clip is from.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defleshed posted:

They also have some cool videos where they go into North Korea and Liberia and poo poo... the Vice TV guys are loving maniacs but the writers for the site are mediocre at best.

And a good one of that pacific garbage patch thing. And some seriously scarey poo poo of some remote Pakistani town that just makes knockoff guns.

It's a shame the writing isn't nearly as good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nothing wrong with Falconer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Get back to us when you've torched a few mosques, amateurs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

I have significant doubts about Limp Bizkit being able to pull off a headlining arena tour in support of their album Panty Sniffer

They still exist?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Carl Seitan posted:

I don't know if I'm in a minority here, but I have a hard time listening to Megadeth anymore. All I can think about when I listen to them is what a stupid twat Mustaine was for announcing his endorsement of Rick Santorum.

You act like that's the first time Mustaine has exposed himself as a stupid twat.

That said, I don't much care about a band's ideology if the music is good. I don't look to musicians for political opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

I enjoyed the Adrenaline Mob album, "Omertá", and I won't apologize for it, so there :colbert:

However, it's amazing how Russel Allen managed to look like a massive douche and talk/move like a wrestler with a hint of Fred Durst. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-o1iDj28Bk

I guess Portnoy is contagious. Or maybe it's just the douchehat. Go back to being awesome Russel :ohdear:

And yeah that song sucks, but we all have our guilty pleasures.