Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

keratas posted:

I've been on a prog rock kick the last few month, have there been any decent metal releases in the last few weeks? And what did people think of the latest Deceased album? Last new metal albums I bought were the latest Argus and Necros Christos if that helps influence suggestions.

New Deceased is great. Pretty much the flipside of As the Weird Travel On... in that it's death/thrash with heavy metal influences, and it's still got that oldschool heavy metal guitar tone going through all the riffs.

And well it's hardly the "last few weeks", but I recommend Venenum (everyone from Excoriate except the singer), Stench of Decay, Corpsessed, Vanhelgd, Morbus Chron, Gorephilia, Bone Sickness, Disma, Desolate Shrine.

That should cover you for death metal, aside from the obvious stuff like Autopsy and of course, if you dig NC, you've got to check Sonne Adam.

Fans of power metal should Probably check out the new Satan's Host.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Things I am looking forward to: new Demoncy, Revenge, Arghoslent, Ingnivomous. Anything that might come out the Gospel camp.

MrBling: Sathanas I guess.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I always preferred these bells.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The issue with power metal is it has many different facets. I pretty much detest 95% of it, and just about all of what could reasonably be termed "modern power metal" is tripe. But there was an undeniable heyday in the 80s where the genre was still in its formulative state and influences ranged from thrash/speed to NWOBHM (which is where Maiden come in) and classic heavy metal.

I mean, early Helloween is quite different to what they put out later.Helstar pretty much define US power metal on their first 4 albums.

Oh and of course given the last few posts i'm not missing the chance to point out that this is power metal (albeit with a dose of speed).

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
People who think all power metal sounds the same don't really know the genre at all. US and European power metal styles are completely different, and the older US bands tend to have much more in common with thrash and/or speed than symphonic metal.

Unfortunately it's the keyboard and saccharine production laden continental European style that most people picture at the mention of the genre.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh and if anyone wants an album that's modern, but very much heavy/speed/power metal then look no further than the new Portrait.

Most people will batter on about the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influences, but this new album really smacks more of Iron Maiden and NWOBHM in general as well as 80s power/speed to me.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Well that's them hosed then. He wrote everything.

And since i'm pretty tired of the women vocalists thing popping up like clockwork every few months i'll just link to the old thread.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 11, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Nifelheim and Treblinka logos look nothing like that though? Aside from the black text with white outlines.

Skeletonwitch is closer, it's a fairly "generic retro thrash" logo though. Like say Deathchain, Witchaven, etc.

Anyway the guys who made the patches are James Jirat Patradoon and Aaron Kuswara. And they plan on selling them.

The majority of the front of the vest is based on punk/crust/hardcore bands though.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 18, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Morbid Florist posted:

Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Closest thing I've ever heard to Dissection

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

QPZIL posted:

I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

Watain isn't really that cut and dry - there's a lot of Malign in there too, with a smattering of Ofermod. A certain french band owe Malign too.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I want James Hetfield's drugs. I mean, I've thought lots of things, but never that I was a loving table.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
FFS. I've always enjoyed the fact these threads never had an OP of "goon recommended" lists because all lists to do with metal (including the one being made) are always composed of absolute poo poo. You are never, ever in a million years going to be able to make people even agree on what "entry-level" metal is.

Some of you appear to think that it should be things people "might like when new to the genre" - why should you introduce someone via a band you will later tell them are actually crap? The lists are laughable at best.

Nobody should be making anything unless they actually know something about the genres, and their history. Which rules out any cretin that thinks, for example, Norway is the epicentre of black metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm not mad, I just think it's a complete waste of time. I forgot having a dissenting opinion on an internet "discussion" board now means you're mad these days though!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Page 18?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm going to quote my own dissection recommendations post from page 18 since it seems nobody read it after it got lamped at the bottom and then followed by 2 pages of crying over metallica's latest turd.

Gr31lly posted:

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

Forgot to mention Decameron.

Unanimated's first album is actually probably better than their second, but is a far less streamlined sound, their newest album (post-reformation) is pretty much what Necrophobic should be releasing these days.

I wouldn't call Eucharist Gothenburg at all either. They aren't from the region and their music while approaching it, never really becomes it. Much like A Mind Confused, Excretion, Excrement, Ceremonial Oath,Desultory, Cenotaph and even The Chasm and Infinitum Obscure.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Zodijackylite posted:

While being from a different municipality/state, they were really close to Gothenburg and were strongly associated with the scene there. The sound is a bit different than the other bands as their first came out around when ATG put out "With Fear" and before IF and DT put out albums, then their second one came after Whoracle and TMI so the biggest bands had each put out three albums and they still had a lot of the older sound. Gothenburg MDM is the best generalization I can use to describe them so I'd still use that.

Going through your recommendations that I haven't heard, will report back.

They're just melodic death metal. It was actually a term used quite frequently before Gothenburg, and there's, for example, no way on earth you can tell me At The Gates' Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear are what is now termed Gothenburg (although later albums define it), but they are definitely a form of melodic death metal. Similarly, Carcass' Heartwork, while definitely a massive influence on Gothenburg (and later metalcore), is not referred to anything other than melodic death metal.

Gothenburg itself as a term has evolved to mean much more than just "melodic death metal from the gothenburg scene", and the connotations that term carries with it apply to Eucharist about as soundly as they do to Arghoslent. That is to say, not very well.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
As a heads-up for Morbid Florist and anyone else who may be interested Reveal's debut will be released on CD by Invictus Productions in the not so distant future. I'd imagine some will make their way to US-based distros.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Stench is the fairly obvious shout there. Other than that the thrashier of the old swedish bands like Merciless, Mega Slaughter, Traumatic.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Anyone who likes awesome music should like Jess and the Ancient Ones.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

QPZIL posted:

Seeing Gr31ly post in the other thread reminds me... his old post got me on a big retro/throwback/Cult Rock/whatever kick. I've been jamming a lot of Graveyard, Ghost, Blood Ceremony, The Devil's Blood, Jex Thoth, Withcraft, and, to a lesser extent, Year of the Goat (though I'm getting tired of them).

What else should I check out? Or should I be in the stoner thread?

Gr31lly posted:

Anyone who likes awesome music should like Jess and the Ancient Ones.

Also try Vinum Sabbatum, Mountain Witch, Ashbury, Orchid, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Troubled Horse, and listen to trad doom (the proper stuff!) like The Lamp of Thoth (okay, that one's a bit cheesey, but they were good) & Reverend Bizarre.

If people just want to trip there's always Liquid Sound Company.

[edit] And since I always forget. 90% of these days' retro bands wish they were Roky Erickson, the other 10% suck.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 11, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Monkeytime posted:

Do they have anything besides Lucem Ferre? I really enjoyed that this year.

Nope. Not yet.

Defiant Sally posted:

Ive been blasting some good death metal tapes lately and most recently the new Vallenfyre album. Im in the mood for some more stuff with that sick chainsaw guitar tone like you hear in Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. Any suggestions?

Literally any Swedish death metal band between 1990 and 1995? Both of those bands are just ripping off/paying tribute to the old swedish sound. If you would rather listen to newer bands instead of Dismember, (early) Unleashed, Nihilist/Entombed, Grave (demo version of into the grave here for anyone who hasn't heard it - shits all over the album version) and the countless others out there (eg. Traumatic, Edge of Sanity, Bloodstone, Gorement, Nirvana 2002.... it is an almost endless list.)

If you must listen to newer bands, then the likes of Repugnant, Death Breath, Miasmal, Morbus Chron will appeal. Hell there's even now plenty of reformed bands floating about - Interment stand out there.

I'm totally serious about the first bit though, just about any band worth a poo poo from sweden playing death metal in the early 90s sounds exactly like bloodbath, except they're usually about 10x better.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

QPZIL posted:

Man I wish there were a good place to buy metal hoodies online. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a plain hoodie and sewing a back patch on it.

There's plenty of distros really. I mean, sure it depends on the (sub)genre (and location), but generally speaking if a band actually has merch it's quite easy to get. Your only real issue is figuring out how reliable the person you're buying from is, but if you check around you can usually find out fairly quickly who the rip-offs are.

What bands are you looking for merch from?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
90% of metal prints are crap compared to normal retail items. Off-centre prints, ludicrously overprinted shirts (too glossy, or with gobs of material on the print), or underprinted, poor material shirt/hoodie as base - and the sizing is dependent on these (eg. Gildan verus Fruit of the Loom).

None of that is what I meant by reliable.

A lot of the t-shirts on ebay and in some distros (especially South American, Greek and Eastern Block based) are bootlegs (ie. they're not sanctioned by the band or label). These aren't necessarily of lesser quality, and can, for older bands or t-shirts long out of print, be your only avenue aside from making your own. Again, that isn't a question of reliability.

By rip-off/unreliable, what I meant was a distro or site that will take your cash and either (a) never ship anything, (b) take years to ship anything, (c) ship you the wrong item/design and ask you to pay return postage for the replacement (this is usually just to try and fob you off with stock they can't clear since a fair percentage of people will just cut their losses and keep the incorrect item).

The only hoodies I have ever seen that are 100% top quality prints and materials are the Blasphemy ones from Ross Bay Cult. They are not cheap.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

I used to have this attitude towards merch, but over the years I have lost count of the amount of times I've either not had enough money for a shirt/hoodie or been too drunk to remember to get one. I've left LPs, EPs, demos and merch I've been given for free in venues, fields and pubs across the world as well.

The other thing about buying merch at a show specifically is that quite often the selection is quite low and I'm picky about the backprints on t-shirts (read as: if I can avoid them I can, they're mostly idiotic). The one good thing about it is, barring a lot of fests, the money goes straight from your pocket to the bands'.

Speaking of, if the band you want merch from is fairly underground, but you have contact details, it's often worth emailing them to see if you can get it directly, or if they know who handles distro for your continent.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The worst longsleeve designs are repeating band names/logos. Whoever the hell came up with than needs shot. I did used to have an awesome black Grave longsleeve that was dark red logo print on the front with the tour dates in tiny silver lettering on one sleeve around the bicep and no backprint. More bands need longsleeves like that.

[edit] Looked exactly like this. Obviously it's really dark in person since the seller has over-exposed massively to get the print to show (it's a deep ruby red).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 18, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I just dislike walking about with "extreme music for extreme people" (to cite a well-known and stupid slogan) plastered all over my back - or even worse, the dreaded band photo. Lyrics are a two-way street, you either look stupid or you offend people and look stupid. I have more than a few t-shirts that would have the Bundespolizei thinking about fines purely because of a backprint and/or loving runes down the sleeves.

Primordial's t-shirts aren't actually that bad, in the sense, yes there's sleeve prints, but they're not repeated, and the backprint isn't . Nemty himself isn't much of a fan of the repeated prints as far as I can remember, but seeing as he cuts the sleeves off of just about every short sleeve he owns...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

thepitgoddess posted:

Neither, just like WtSTB better. :P

I think it's more that Brutality made three albums, not two. All are definitely worth listening to, although In Mourning is noticeably weaker than Screams of Anguish or When the Sky Turns Black.

If anyone wants something a little less ordinary Demented Ted are worth checking out.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Splash Damage posted:

I recently got into Arckanum. Any other good black metal bands like that, besides the obvious classics?

Svartsyn (especially Timeless Reign for the newer Arckanum sound) will do the job. That's made especially obvious by their split with Arckanum mind. Their new album is sadly horribly produced (this is a theme with Svartsyn) and compacted as all hell.

Kampfar are also definitely worth a look in. (As are the band they formed from Mock).

Other than that, you're basically looking for raw, traditional black metal, and the likes of Horna can deliver that. I'd recommend the split with Behexen. Try also Armagedda, Inquisition.

One of the issues with Arckanum is that Shamaatae comes from a background of technical/melodic black metal (Sorhin) and death metal (Grotesque, albeit he was at most 15 and there very shortly). You can hear these influences in Arckanum (especially Sorhin in his early material), but they're buried below a very different production than what is normally used. As such, bands like Dawn (who he actually contributed some lyrics to) are actually quite closely related to Arckanum, even if they sound very different.

You should be quite comfortable picking up just about any "classic" album though.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Teasers for the new embrace of thorns album are up. Full album is out on the 31st, so I'd expect the whole thing to be streaming fairly soon.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

IRQ posted:

So it seems like everyone here liked WitTR this year.

Not a chance :lol:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
If people want to hear death n' roll then they should head for Finnish death metal/grindcore bands. The swathes of them that decided to start integrated rock structures into their music (before Entombed) is pretty staggering.

Notable bands would be Xysma (who probably have a legit claim on being the first death n roll band), Lubricant, Disgrace, Pakeni, Paraxism, amongst others.

Hell, some even did it while remaining death metal. Total rock progression and riffs.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 23, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Get yourselves some ZOM. Nice, punchy oldschool style death that doesn't feel contrived or overly faux-archaic.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

m-o-o-n posted:

A couple of days ago a friend introduced me to Venenum's demo from last year and hoooly crap. Insanely good underground occult death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWdDuz685Y

Yeah, they're good. I think I posted about them last year when they were "a new thing", it's the same guys from Excoriate (barring the vocalist who's tinnitus caused the end of that band). I'd recommend you check out ZOM for sure incidentally.

Horrendous album is excellent btw.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Death metal? I think I'll just quote my post from the first page since it's still relevant. I mean it seems other people are just "discovering" Venenum even now :rolleyes:

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Deceased is great. Pretty much the flipside of As the Weird Travel On... in that it's death/thrash with heavy metal influences, and it's still got that oldschool heavy metal guitar tone going through all the riffs.

And well it's hardly the "last few weeks", but I recommend Venenum (everyone from Excoriate except the singer), Stench of Decay, Corpsessed, Vanhelgd, Morbus Chron, Gorephilia, Bone Sickness, Disma, Desolate Shrine.

That should cover you for death metal, aside from the obvious stuff like Autopsy and of course, if you dig NC, you've got to check Sonne Adam.

Have some Execration too, and Bastard Priest. And for fucks sakes people, listen to the ZOM demo. Especially if you like Necrovore.

Truth is though, nothing beats the old stuff.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 20, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Ancient Wisdom opened and they were terrible.

Not Ancient Wisdom. Let's nip this in the bud people before it gets too common. That lovely US band are called Ancient VVisdom, and should always be named so to differentiate them from the really good Swedish band. Yeah, they should be shot for taking such a similar name.

Take any photos?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Man, I wish. The lighting in that place was great, but there was no professional photography equipment allowed. I've been pretty lucky in the past, but I really need to start checking with promoters ahead of time.

If anyone gets a chance to see Ghost live, do it. Even if you're lukewarm on them. The level of theatrics and showmanship they put on is astounding. I say this in the same vein that everyone and their dads rave on about Cirque du Soleil. Papa Emeritus even gave us communion at the end of the show.

drat man :(, I'm lucky enough to be on first name terms with most of the venue owners round here which sort of smooths a lot of potential bumps.

I'm not big on Ghost at all (as I'm sure the entire thread knows given my inability to keep my opinions to myself), but I'm sure you'd have got some great shots with that, and Blood Ceremony can be good when they go the whole hog.

aliencowboy posted:

I didn't realize there was another Ancient Wisdom and just checked them out and yeah, they are pretty rad. I just figured the guys I saw liked spelling their name like jackasses.

Yeah, wasn't bagging on you personally for it, it's just for ease of differentiating. Round here someone flyered absolutely everyone leaving Gorgoroth and then WiTTR gigs for an upcoming Ancient VVisdom gig and due to the way it was written and some people being quite drunk and getting excited there was a few days of people thinking the Swedish band were actually coming over (nevermind the fact they're most likely disbanded). I refuse to believe that this sort of thing isn't by design, because you don't spell your name like that unless you're acutely aware of another band with the same moniker.

And I still cannot believe that crock are actually playing Roadburn, but then there's always a few bands on that lineup who clearly aren't there due to ability.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ugh, the most disgusting habit. Thankfully I don't go to any fests big enough to use anything more durable than crappy paper wristbands these days :madmax:

Anyway, if you want to keep them, see if you can take them apart by just breaking apart the crushed metal tog first, that'll leave you with more options. If you have to cut them, then you may also need to melt them a bit/put some plastic on the ends to stop fraying.

I know a few people who take their wristbands apart and then sew them onto removable bracelets (cotton/leather) so they can wear them or not as they please. Other than that, a fair few sew them onto their cut-offs.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

Remember when they were Demoniac? An actual good (well, decent at least) band.

Demoniac's lyrics would probably turn 99% of Dragonforce's fans right off both bands immediately :lol:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Roky Erickson is the only worthwhile performer in that entire list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ozzy was apparently able to perform admirably at Hellfest when he played it in the not so distant past. And considering some of the states I've seen people in 20min before they're due to play, mental faculties aren't really 100% required.