Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've dropped them in this thread before, but Jess and the Ancient Ones' debut album is due early this year. After their earlier EP, this is one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

If you think Ghost, Year of the Goat, Blood Ceremony, Devil, The Devil's Blood are any good, check this band out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Trabant posted:

No surprise about Scandinavia, but Canada :argh:
A small sample of why Canada rules extremely hard when it comes to metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Here's something for oldschool fans - a track from Baphomet from their now widely bootlegged 1991 test press release Inherit the Dead. A much rougher mix than the Dead Shall Inherit with a quite different tracklisting.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Hellwuzzat posted:

e: So, there's a band named Dark Angel and a band named Death Angel. That was confusing, but they both rock. Confusing monikers forgiven.

The best thrashing angel wore armour.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Jeez the last page or so had entirely too much tech death. And sigh talk, that band has been awful for over a decade.

Have something good. Or if you must listen to tech, the Timeghoul discography was released as a comp not so long ago.

Oh and the new Demoncy has been floating about for a while now I guess.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Witchfinder General posted:

That whole album is incredible and I think Spit on Your Grave is one of the best songs ever.

Speaking of Whiplash, I'm looking for more speed/thrash similar to them, early-Razor and early-Overkill. Basically bands that listened to too much Motorhead and have awesome singers and guitar riffs. Any recommendations?

The underground is pretty much trying to spawn a speed/[insert subgenre that isn't thrash here] revival. Try Hellbringer, Trench Hell from Oz to see what I mean.

However, Midnight is pretty much the most obvious shout in the world. More people need to know about Speedwolf though.

And I doubt many guess the guys from Blasphemophager could play this kind of poo poo. Vocals an acquired taste mind.

Depends what you can put up with - speed/black opens up Gehennah etc and a crapload of bands who want to be early Bathory (Power from Hell).

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I honestly believe that 99.9% of tech metal is absolutely woeful, and production techniques commonly used by the bands contribute to making them sound even worse (the guitar tones are obnoxious most of the time for a start, let's not even discuss drums). This is especially true for tech death and brutal tech death, which frequently blurs the lines between deathcore and death metal in production. (As an aside, technical deathcore may very well be the biggest aural abomination I can think of).

Of the stuff I find acceptable, most don't sound far removed from the genre they're part of (eg. Obliveon), that is to say, without being told they're expressly playing technical music you wouldn't sit and think "oh my god the bass lines" or whatever. Others (Demilich) are just so far removed from everything else that the overlying thoughts are on how alien it is, rather than technical - amazing songwriting doesn't hurt either.

However for the most part, tech death bands write albums like loving Gorguts - chaotic to the point of being disjointed, technical to the point of boredom (something that isn't helped by riff recycling and being too long), and atonal to the point of apathy.

It doesn't rouse any emotion in me at all. Too many polyrhythms and layers just endlessly merging into each other, only to be repeated at a later junction. Obscura just sounds like a bunch of guys got together and tried to make an album that sounds artsy and technical and blended far too many ideas. People talk about how many genres it draws influence from - and I'd rather be listening to any of those genres than that album.

If all you want to do is drool over how well a band can play instruments, then just skip everyone else and listen to Pavor and Martyr.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Early Morbid Angel is actually extremely technical and yet doesn't sound it because of the song structure they employed. And At the Gates may well be the kings of song structure.

Honestly, there's thousands of bands out there that don't follow generic structure and progression - it's not nu-metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

fuf posted:

It's funny because the biggest emotional response I get from metal music is when I hear a really good riff or solo. It's like an upsurge of energy and joy which is really hard to describe. I think it has something to do with the concentration required to properly absorb the complexity of the music (Leibniz said the joy in music comes from "a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting").

The problem is I think brains get better at discerning complexity. When I was a kid I would get this joyful response from listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden etc., but soon all that stuff was too slow and simplistic. Then came Dream Theater, Symphony X, and guys like Satch and Vinnie Moore, but soon even they started getting a bit tame.

Now most of the riffs that make my brain leap for joy come from technical death metal. When I first heard this 10 or so seconds I had the same emotional response as listening to seek and destroy or phantom of the opera when I was 10.

I don't really get any other emotional response from metal. It doesn't make me angry or eager to burn down churches or whatever.

(I agree that lots of tech death is pretty bad though. I'm always waxing lyrical about psycroptic and necrophagist but I'm not really a fan of obscura.)

So, let me get this straight - your viewpoint is that people that don't appreciate the inherent complexity of technical music are somehow either unable to concentrate to the degree necessary to appreciate it, or are otherwise lacking cerebrally and have never moved past enjoying "simple" compositions? Yeah, I'm being deliberately obtuse, but...

Since you're throwing philosophical reasoning into the mix, I'd just point out that one of the cornerstones of "art" is that the medium chosen is attempting to convey emotion. That is to say, all forms of art should be able to move the observer or listener in some form - whether it be joy, sadness, anger, or otherwise. Whether that's because the artist is attempting to share their own emotions or provoke a response, or purely something the observer feels is dependent on the art in question - but it's the very emotions that it stirs that makes the experience subjective.

Does that mean that something that provokes only apathy and boredom isn't art? No, but it does suggest that there's something deeply flawed in applying a quote by Leibniz to justify what amounts to an analytical approach to enjoying music. It's a bit like walking around telling people that nature is beautiful purely because of the almost universal conformation to the golden ratio - you're no longer appreciating the subject, but merely elevating a single aspect of its existence at the expense of all others in an almost robotic fashion.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

If anything, my preference in regards to the perceived skill level and production in metal seems to be devolving. The dirtier and sloppier it gets, the better it is.

At the end of the day, the guy playing bass in this can do this and this.

Shove your tech death.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've been listening to the new Avenger album, as well as the compilation they've released celebrating their 20 years of existence and it's served as a timely reminder of how amazingly good they are. Czech death/black.

They also had a side project called Black Rain which blows 90% of black metal out the water on their only demo.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Deathspell Omega and Portal are pretty much the best thing to happen to metal in ages, so anything taking influence from those bands is instantly superior to others. This is especially true when put into the context of the stagnant genre that is death metal.

What complete horseshit.

Ignoring the fact DSO build their modern reputation mimicking Malign, Kvist and a number of other Scandinavian bands in terms of riff progression, pattern and style, and are miles behind Blut Aus Nord when it comes to creating dissonant hatred... Any band that takes influence from them is superior to others?

:lol:

There are countless bands out there who are doing their own thing and have their own sound, which instantly makes them "superior" to any two-bit band who've went out their way to deliberately emulate the sound of another. Especially when it's a crap sound.

Portal are a one trick pony - and it's not a very good trick - technical guitarwork that is completely disjointed, and experimental jazz-inspired drumming buried below a beehive production to leave the viewer feeling disoriented. The compositions are frequently lacking direction, monotonous or just simply flawed. Much of the bands appeal is purely aesthetic. The fact DSO have evolved to encompass this technique too isn't anything to be praised.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

I'm aware Deathspell Omega is influenced by bands like Malign, they even recorded a tribute song of sorts. But they have their own sound. It just seems like you have some irrational hatred for them or something... Blut Aus Nord are phenomenal though. They would easily be the 2nd best black metal band behind Deathspell Omega.

Irrational hatred? No, their early sound is derivative, their SMRC sound is derivative and their modern, "dissonant" sound is crap. BAN went through a period of making crap albums too, and Mayhem have that horrific piece of poo poo Ordo Ad Chao (along with most of their other albums).
You're implying that Portal & DSO are "the way forward".

Killsion posted:

Lunar Aurora is a good band, but I fail to see how their sound isn't taken from other sources, and they certainly aren't as good as Deathspell Omega. I'd put them up there with like Wolves in the Throne Room though.

Lunar Aurora are pretty well accepted as one of the bands you can identify instantly if you've heard them before. Due to them, y'know, not being clones. The new album in particular due to their use of Bavarian dialect. WiTTR are not even worthy of comparison. For a start Lunar Aurora were moving in that direction before (dull as ditchwater) Weakling released the album that WiTTR so clearly took influence from.

Killsion posted:

I'll take Portal's "one-trick" over the one-trick pony that is modern death metal any day of the week. Because at the end of the day the Portal clone #14 is superior to the Spawn of Possession clone #35252351351151 or Cannibal Corpse clone #331246376684312446241. Why you wouldn't think this beyond me, clearly.

Easy. I think Portal are poo poo. I also happen to think both Spawn of Possession and Cannibal Corpse are poo poo as well - and I'm puzzled as to why anyone would clone Cannibal Corpse when they themselves are a poor imitation of the bands they cloned?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

Well, simply put, that is because they are in fact "the way forward". Your dislike of their sound just seems to show you are still living in the dark ages.

What you've basically said is "I dislike every other sound barring this, and you dislike it, ergo you're living in darkness". Actually the opposite is true, you are the pig-ignorant one. There's plenty of other sounds making their way through the underground at the moment, in both death and black metal as well as death/black.

Killsion posted:

Another example would be how bands taking influence from Neige projects are another means of moving forward. I never quite got the hate for Ordo Ad Chao, I heard it when I was younger but it seemed fine to me, maybe I'll revisit it.

"Neige projects" - how misguided. Neige influences nothing. He was involved and around bands who embraced a post-punk and depressive rock sound (and were far from the first to do so) and has stayed on that track, gaining attention from people too attentive to his press and too ignorant of his own influences.

Killsion posted:

Funny you say that about Lunar Aurora, because you could say the exact same of Deathspell Omega. I don't see why you gotta hate on WitTR, that wasn't a diss by any means when I compared the two.

It was a point designed to highlight to you the difference between cloning and influencing. Misogynist's initial view was that Flourishing (who, incidentally, sound awful) were lifting parts wholesale - that isn't being "influenced". And WiTTR are a band who would receive absolutely no attention if they weren't from the USA, in semi-mainstream media and espousing some of the viewpoints they do.

Killsion posted:

You got a point about the Cannibal Corpse clone, how about Suffocation clone instead? Everything is a clone of anything in some manner. Nothing is truly unique anymore. Everything has taken something from something else. You seem to think bands like Portal sound bad, I very much disagree. I think Portal are the saviors of death metal, and the atmospheric wave following them is the best thing to happen to death metal since Gorguts. You clearly seem to disagree. It happens. Maybe someday you'll be as bored with metal music as I am.

Try Morpheus/Morpheus Descends clone.

"Atmospheric wave"? All descent death metal has atmosphere, always has done, before Portal were even a thought at the bottom of a bogan's VB. You're mistaking dissonance for atmosphere - and to be honest, across the genre, Portal's influence is not even noticeable in the current climate, even in Australia most bands doing death/black are doing it in the Canadian style or after Necrovore and Order From Chaos.

I happen to think Gorguts' change in sound to Obscura was one of the worst things they did and spawned a subgenre of shite as well.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

Please tell me these other sounds then in death metal. Really now. Please tell me. No sarcasm. To me its all just hurf durf tech wanky poo poo that sucks. Random brut00tal growling hurf durf poo poo that sucks, or hurf durf Swedish poo poo that is decent at best. As for black metal, well the atmospheric, post-punk/shoegaze, and orthodox bands would be the only ones worth listening to from my perspective. the rest is just utterly played to hell out and boring.

Interesting you're bagging on tech death and praising latter Gorguts and Portal...

Here's a reasonable overview of current death metal trends, just picking bands to showcase: ZOM, Encoffination, Cruciamentum, Venenum. There is also the massive "occult" death/black trend: Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Embrace of Thorns, Grave Miasma.

The Canadians are pretty much doing their own take on the occult movement as usual: Weapon, Antediluvian (who you'll probably like since they're Portal without all the bullshit and much better) amongst others. You'll probably already know Mitochondrion - don't mistake their main influence as Portal - it's more clearly related to Order From Chaos.

Other stuff: Teitanblood: Abhorer Worship.

Unlike you in black metal, I'd rather listen to post-punk or shoegaze than hear their influences mashed into black metal half-assedly. I don't think the 'gaze trend is that big anyway, it just gets more attention. I personally find the orthodox movement boring as sin since absolutely none of the bands have moved on at all from the early material of Malign, Ofermod and others (Ascension are an exception to this). I'd much rather listen to bands like Reveal, or Negative Plane who're doing absolutely nothing new, but have a manner that captivates.

Killsion posted:

Like it or not, it is Neige projects like Alcest and Amesoeurs that is opening the minds of a lot of metal fans to some fantastic genres and creating some beautiful music.

Joyless, Green Carnation and in France, Celestia and others were already doing that. Why give one man credit for capitalising on metalhead's ignorance of other genres? At the end of the day you're better off listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3 etc anyway.

Killsion posted:

Oh please, "all death metal has atmosphere". You sound like some fool saying "all music is emotional" in some emo/screamo discussion.

I think I get it though now... Do you not listen to any 20th century modern classical music? Maybe it'll help you understand.

I said all decent death metal (without the typo this time). Removing that word changes the complexion of my point completely. Nocturnus on the Key, Demilich on Nespithe, Incantation on Onwards to Golgotha... All these albums have an immediately enthralling atmosphere.

Don't try to presuppose my listening habits either. I'm familiar with modern classical, but would far rather listen to say, Respighi than for example Penderecki (although I do like Threnody).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 13, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd guess at least a few of these are what Mr. Avoider referred to as "the obvious".

All of them are :cool:

Clicking the link to more posts from me in this thread will show up posts linking all those bands + others in that style if anyone like them incidentally.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I gave up arguing with him because it's plain as day that he's only looking at surface aesthetics rather than anything underneath - for example Negative Plane as death metal? You might hear Beyond the Gates if you don't really listen. Otherwise Mercyful Fate, Mortuary Drape, Martyrium, early Death SS, and the proggy elements of Paul Chain really hit home, alongside Ved Buens Ende, and even Bethlehem, old Celtic Frost and Mayhem at times. The guitar alone has some touches of Morbid Angel and early Nocturnus, and the compositions themselves owe more to organ baroque pieces than anything else, but they are undeniably a black metal band.

There's probably more prog rock than death metal about them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
And later in that very same song...

Listen to their new album, listen to albums and songs as whole bodies. Stop just picking up on tones and listen to actual compositions. I mean if you listen to that entire song and still think it's primarily death metal then it's easy to see why you see thing the way you do - you have broken ears.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've got to admit I personally love love love posts calling Morbid Florist a trve kvlt warrior and elitist/purist/whatever. How the tide has turned.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike is far superior shower music, with the added benefit of containing every good riff in SMRC (other than the ones written by Malign!) in their original context and (superior) composition.

[edit] Misogynist, you should probably check out the first Griffar album (which was technically speaking a demo I'm sure, at least that's what my cassette says).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 16, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Jess and the Ancient Ones album will be out on may 19th. It will rule.

BSchlang posted:

I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

Believer, Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice, Deliverance, Crucifer (arguably), Vengeance Rising and I guess you should probably check out early mortification.

Religious/christian lyrics aren't really a stigma in doom (let's face it, it comes from Sabbath), so Trouble, Count Raven and countless others fit in there too.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Misogynist posted:

Incubus (not that Incubus) were among the most underrated death/thrash bands of their generation:

poo poo yeah, can't think why I didn't immediately think of them - probably because they're one of those bands that are so good everyone just brushes the "christianity" bit under the carpet.

Speaking of, latter day Death definitely qualifies as well.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
It's not out of place since it was an "educational" show about music, but here's napalm death on a children's tv show. Also featuring Craig "Lister from Red Dwarf" Charles.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Boltfest was responsible for some of the worst hangovers known to man. Well since Mortuary Drape last year anyway...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The "better way" was to sneak in through customs with a tourist visa and not bother even attempting the working visa. Unfortunately every cretin on M-A seeking to make public the real names of bands renders this near enough impossible when a bunch of guys turn up with maybe 2 guitars between them, and a quick google of their names reveals a band name, then the googling the band name lists tour dates.

They're really loving expensive for the USA too. Add in the cost of flights and venues taking cuts of your merch and its no surprise a lot of bands based outside North America don't see the point in touring too often.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Bloodbath are poo poo anyway. A band that formed to "bring back oldschool death metal" and thus whose existence was rendered completely redundant by the fact Repugnant and Kaamos amongst countless others already existed and released better material.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Go listen to Zaratustra, Vediog Svaor, Master's Hammer, Ophthalamia, Arcturus, Furze, Ved Buens Ende, Fleurety (and another to show non-demo material, I just linked that first one so everyone can see why Nordgarden literally cannot sing anymore), Thorns, Negura Bunget, Lugubrum, The Ruins of Beverast, Blut Aus Nord, Nazxul, Spektr.

There should be a few BM acts in there you can go for. Dodheimsgard, Aborym and others are also probably worth a look.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh and listen to Devil Doll. Like everything.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Misogynist posted:

Thanks for this, I've been looking for something in the vein of Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon for about 8 years

Haha, funny you should say that, I had a discussion with Nemtheanga about the Ruins of Beverast album last year and we came to the conclusion it sounds pretty much like the bridge between Beyond the Wandering Moon and ...And So the Night Became.

Btw, for the other guy, Primordial have had very little to do with black metal for more than 15 years. They don't classify themselves as black metal either.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

IRQ posted:

I loving love Primordial but what on earth do they classify themselves as?

That would be the question, probably something along the lines of dark celtic metal. I guess the "extreme" moniker might apply, but I loathe it as it's pretty non-descriptive.

Here's Alan's take:

quote:

Primordial isn’t black metal. We come from the second wave of black metal, and our roots are in it, and there’s a certain “blackness” to the music. But I wouldn’t call us black metal, because I don’t think we subscribe to what I would consider the basic tenets of what black metal should be.

Imrama is about the last thing Primordial have produced where you would sit and say there's a strong BM aesthetic as well. Every album since has been atypical of BM song structure and composition to the extent you'd struggle to place it beside BM albums, there's more doom in Primordial these days than black metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The new Ketzer album is pretty good, as is the new Desaster.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They just put out a few mediocre albums and slipped off the radar a bit.

Also, amazing what you can find on youtube these days - here's something for anyone who likes demo-level doom/heavy metal. I don't think either band has put anything out since, I got their stuff handed to me by two of the lunatics involved years back.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years.

What the gently caress? Aside from their first demo and EP, Inquisition are completely unique in their sound and every album they've put out is stellar.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I have no idea how the hell that's all you're hearing. Inquisition are far more than "immortal worship".

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
That's because Genesis is Goblin worship. And Goblin rule.

I think the rest of the album is pretty poo poo and they're boring live.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Most of the black/thrash bands are killer live. Special mentions to d666 and GotH

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Actually the real problem with Behemoth is they've been writing turgid shite ever since 1998.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

To get to the point, Deströyer 666 absolutely, 100% crushed everything. Playing a setlist that spanned everything from demo material to their 2009 release, Defiance, the hour they played for was unrelentingly savage, and the setlist was wall to wall brilliant songs. Something about this band make me feel utterly invincible. Shouting "I AM THE WARGOD!" with 150 other sweaty metalheads in an absolutely packed room was awesome, and their rendition of Blood for Blood was spine-tinglingly good. I can't really adequately explain just how much I enjoyed this band, but if they're coming to your area then I urge you to go see them. Unrelenting, savage, and fun.

You're going to want to keep the 4th of August free mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Strat posted:

It's a great album and the fact it came from Australia makes it all the more impressive!!

Why? The Aussie metal scene is very strong.