Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Sgt. Slobber posted:

And the newer Misfits stuff is even better than their old stuff.

Oh my god what is wrong with you

Danzig's songs are the only reason the misfits exist today. Post-Danzig misfits is post-nikke anderson Entombed: pure poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gr31lly, want to thank you for more classic poo poo. Big fan of Buffalo and Dust. I had no idea Marky Ramone was in a band before he became Marky Ramone.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is really a metal band named Treblinka? Classy.

Treblinka is Tiamat before a name change

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

thepitgoddess posted:

I don't like Anthrax, so I didn't like it. I find them really...tacky. That's the only way I can consider it.

However, people who are fans have called it a "return to form" so I guess, take that as you will.

Prancing around in videos with indian headdresses on and scott ian being all zany?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

What the gently caress is mustaine doing to gigantour?

Motorhead, loving A sweet as long as they get as long a set as megadeth.

but what the gently caress is this lacuna coil/volbeat crap as the other half of the show. I guess it would be a good situation if the highschoolers there for LC and Volbeat took off once the old men took the stage, but gently caress I don't want to pay for a ticket if I'm going to skip half of the bill. Nor should people get the idea those two bands are on par with megadeth and motorhead.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I need advice on doing corpse paint. At stores I see grease makeup and cream makeup and I'm not sure what's best. I've read about more professional stuff like Kryolan and that is cream (Behemoth uses Kryolan Supracolor apparently). I've looked at guides online, but they don't really talk about the materials to use. Any and all advice on other materials is welcome too!

I've used stuff from halloween stores every year without a problem. I'm not sure what kind it is but it's cheap and seems to dry after a little bit, it doesn't seem to rub off on too much stuff. The dust can get on a black shirt and stand out but what can you do...

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

If it helps you remember at all, cream comes in a tube and grease comes in a little tray like water color paint sort of would.

Tube, for sure.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Volbeat is basically just metalized rockabilly. It can be fun to listen to (and for a while they got a ton of airplay here in denmark mostly with this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2NtjoYj_U and partly because it also featured the leadsinger of a fairly popular danish post-punk band) but ultimately there isn't really a lot to it.

The vocalist used to be in Dominus which was a really solid death metal band and he even took the name from their album which was called "Vol. Beat".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-uPJJDc-g

I think he sounds like Sully Erna trying to do a Hetfield impersonation

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

In the end they are all ripping off Danzig era Misfits, just making the guitars all heavy. I am sure before Misfits there was similar stuff, anyone know of any bands?

Take Elvis, make the Stray Cats his backing band and that's the idea behind volbeat. Lemmy's playing with some of them in Head Cat now, and I think all 3 of them are better. Rockabilly was punk before then and I doubt Danzig didn't take some cues from it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

autojive posted:

I remember when this came out and older friends down the street played it nonstop and my 11 year old mind was forever warped/changed. drat, I feel old now.

You ain't kidding. I remember feeling like my parents would find out when my friend played it for me at his house

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Dismember is one of my favourite bands but it is probably no big loss that they're splitting up. Their later albums weren't really anything special, the biggest loss is that they won't be touring anymore.

God this brought me down. :(

Dismember was one of three bands that got me into death metal with Death is only the Beginning 2 compilation nuclear blast used to put out.

At least I got to see them live once with Grave opening. One of the best shows ever.

gently caress. But I guess I should get used to this kind of news since all of the greats aren't getting any younger...

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Dameius posted:

Dissection,

Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Closest thing I've ever heard to Dissection

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Seconding this, and also throwing in Thulcandra - Fallen Angel's Dominion, if you like Dissection. Pretty much Dissection-worship, and they even cover "The Somberlain" on that release.

Wow they really did go all out for dissection huh? Even "ending" the record with a piano track (even if it's nothing compared to ...Breathless Sleep).

They do a good job with Somberlain though. That song ain't easy to play.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, it's a pretty decent album but the thing is, I listened to it for like 20 minutes and then turned it off and put on Storm of Lights Bane and listened to the real thing.

I actually went on a dissection spree monday so I needed a decent stunt-dissection today. It's not bad, but yeah, imitated but not duplicated.

QPZIL posted:

I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

A bit of insight as to why us old farts turn our noses up at newer bands. "I've heard this already, gently caress." ;)

I do kinda like watain but you can't not hear dissection out of them.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Whatever you do, just don't watch their live Rebirth of Dissection DVD. It really really killed Dissection for me, the drummer (Tomas Asklund) they got to fill in is just an awful boring mess of poo poo. He literally takes energy away from their songs, I don't even understand how that's possible.

Seriously? I loved that DVD. He's boring to watch but he's a great drummer and let's be honest, nobody's listening to dissection for the drums.

Besides it's the only way anyone who didn't live in sweden in the early 90s gets to see dissection live, even if jon's the only guy from those albums left.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, he played the songs amazingly and had great timing. I'm watching some clips right now and I think I figured out why I don't really like it. Jon is like a ball of energy and he's being an amazing frontman and in contrast with that Tomas just kinda looks bored and out of place.

Oh absolutely. Jon was fired up to be there, the crowd was there for HIM.

Watching Asklund more gave me the impression he's in the zone, trying to NAIL the songs. Then again I can't remember him ever looking excited to be there, but maybe he's so used to being the unseen guy on stage he figures nobody's looking.

The cover of Elizabeth Bathory though, blows away the recorded one they did.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

fatherdog posted:

By that logic, Motorhead should have never released more than one album.

Except that motorhead isn't copying anyone else :confused:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFoqtpUFY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHNpmLj69o

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

I don't see how rote emulation of Johnny Cash right after he died and his music was everywhere constitutes some kind of musical evolution

Playing blues isn't emulating johnny cash

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

are you loving kidding me or are we listening to different vocal tracks right now

That's lemmy's voice whether he's talking or singing chief. A gravelly voice over a blues line has nothing to do with johnny cash. Or if it does, then johnny cash was nothing but "rote emulation" of every black blues singer decades older than him.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Gr31lly where do you find these bands, how do you do it

Last.fm actually does its job once in a while if you wait and sift long enough. Thulcandra, Unanimated and Watain came up for Dissection radio but there's a LOT of misses to skip over.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gr31lly posted:

As a heads-up for Morbid Florist and anyone else who may be interested Reveal's debut will be released on CD by Invictus Productions in the not so distant future. I'd imagine some will make their way to US-based distros.

This is good poo poo. Lots of different directions going on, I like it more than Homunculus. I'm definitely going to hunt for these guys.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IRQ posted:

How often do people actually know what you're supposed to be in a Gaahl costume, out of curiosity?

When I've gone to bars for halloween, usually one or two people guess gaahl. Most of the guesses are at least "some black metal guy" which I'm usually happy enough with, at least they know where I was headed with it. Nobody knew me this year though but in all fairness there were maybe 15 people at the bar and most of them were the bands playing that night getting trashed before their set.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

If you're in Providence, RI or Boston there are a couple small stores that stock death, black and all the other genres. I was at one today and it was kinda cool flipping through the vinyl and seeing Cannabis corpse, hellhammer, Agalloch, and Sigh. It's called Armageddon Shop.

I left with the Nachtmystium Assassins pt 1 LP. So excited to hear it on vinyl.

Wow I've lived near boston my entire loving life and I had no idea this place was in harvard. You have made my day.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Plastichead sells GREAT merch. And usually designs I don't see on other sites like JSR and the rest. You pay for it, but it is 100% worth the money.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IRQ posted:

Their shirts run a bit on the small side, which is worth bearing in mind, but yeah their stuff is quality. I have a Blood Fire Death shirt from them and it's got sparkly stuff in the gold ink for gently caress's sake.

That's funny you say that because I've found they're one of the only 2xl shirt places made for tall instead of fat.

But yeah they ABSOLUTELY put top effort into their shirts. My Emperor shirt has the gold glittery lettering, sleeve emblems, a sweet faded in cover on the back. I got a Death/Leprosy shirt too that is unreal, and no other place sells it.

Vargatron posted:

I usually buy shirts at the concert, but lately I've been just purchasing the tour shirts off eBay or something after seeing the band. It's hard to justify a $45 Heritage shirt in a small when I could get the same thing a few months later for $20.

It's easy to justify it when it's the band getting that money, not some internet slob.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 17, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My girlfriend won't let me wear metal shirts in public anymore.

WOW.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Haggins posted:

I get more compliments than anything when I wear shirts out. Every time that happens we end up BSing about shows and albums and poo poo. It's like a secret brotherhood.

It's nice to be able to fly a flag and maybe someone will recognize it, and at the same time be dismissed by people who frown on "that sort of thing", all without any effort. Saves time and aggravation.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

The only fashion statement you're making is that you like wearing terrible shirts.

Sorry if I prefer my clothes to actually look nice.

Looks are completely subjective unfortunately for everyone

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Dyscrasia posted:

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

Coroner - Mental Vortex is also extremely Death-like, and jaw droppingly awesome. Like Rush and Slayer doing an album together

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

I think it would probably be more fair to say that Death is extremely Coroner like.

I'll be damned, I didn't know Individual Thought Patterns was two years after Mental Vortex...

MrBling posted:

I might just be old but in my mind that album is not "old metal".

I heard Appetite For Destruction songs played on the area classic rock radio station here. I died a little that day.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 28, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

If you like black metal, Windir and Emperor used keyboards well without overloading on them.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

saviro posted:

It shames me to listen to it because 99% of the fan base is retarded and not even 1% of the bands make meaningful music anymore.

In all fairness you could say the same thing about any genre of music right now

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this but the cover for Necrocomiccon's new album is too great. I'm not sure if they've been talked about here but it's a two man 80's cover metal band. All their poo poo is out there for free.

This is loving sweet, I can't stop laughing at the lionel ritchie album cover Welcome to Hello.

But it's depressing too because I heard these songs when they were new :(

captainOrbital posted:

So like what's the problem that everyone has with Lars (aside from being a Danish twat)? I was listening to HoS and Call of Ktulu (and some other stuff that came up on shuffle) and his drumming sounds OK to me. What is it that I'm missing?

Don't say ears.

Now go listen to every other thrash band and compare the drumming. One sounds like a metronome, the rest are exciting. His poo poo drumming slows everything that band does down. Listen to Mechanix and 4 Horsemen... He's second rate and that's too generous.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Black Sabbath just released the following:

drat :( But, if Nergal can beat lymphoma, so can Tony Iommi!

But Iommi's gotta be twice his age and partied WAAAY harder for way longer

I wanna see them one more time :(

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

baby duck hat posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended Woods of Desolation a few pages back....sorry I cannot remember and can't find the original post.... but wow, this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJqFOfIW9I

Oh god when will the post-rock, Smiths metal trend stop. This is what I see in my head when I hear bands like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

uncle jimbo posted:

This is probably a goofy request that will get me laughed at, but I'm looking for some well produced death metal with an older school kind of sound. Anything recent come to mind?

Entombed's first albums were all produced pretty drat well and they blow the doors off the rehash poo poo being made these days

QPZIL posted:

Behemoth, Watain and The Devil's Blood are touring North America together this summer... official announcement should be coming out tomorrow.

:aaa:

Seeing Watain will be sweet at least

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Sucks about the Ghost tour though, I would have loved to see them play but they played in Boston 2 days ago and I didn't even remember.

It was sold out anyway. My buddy was supposed to get us tickets, forgot until thursday and the box office had zero. I'm kinda glad we didn't get in because if the downstairs is sold out it is a loving shitshow there.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Stripper Nipple Tassel posted:

Gigantour was pretty good in Lowell tonight. The crowd was not very large, unfortunately. Lacuna

Coil opened and played for like 30 minutes, not really my thing but Cristina Scabbia has an incredible voice live. The bass was insane for most of the set.

Volbeat was surprisingly good live, I didn't really like anything I'd heard from them but they put on a really fun show. They were egging on the pit that started and the singer was swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels, so you've got to respect that. I thought my little brother was going to cream his pants with joy when they played Reign in Blood, though

Motorhead was loud like always, but pretty low energy and Lemmy looked pissed off at the mosh pit and just in general when he got out. But then again, Lemmy always looks pissed off. Mikkey Dee did an amazing solo and really kind of stole the set. God drat dude went for like 10 minutes.

Megadeath was Megadeath, I've seen them twice before and didn't go away disappointed but they didn't really wow me. I was way up front getting pushed around in the crowd with every one else and got some lovely phone pictures. When they did A Tout La Monde with Cristina, you could barely hear her over the crowd, but it was probably the highlight of the show, that or Hangar 18. Or Peace Sells..but for personal reasons.

Man I was completely let down by sunday's show. Motorhead PLAYED well, but their set list sucked and it seemed to me they got a really short set. No surprises for songs and the ones they did play were songs anyone who's seen them before has heard already. Mikkey Dee did play his loving rear end off though, that was great.

Megadeth loving sucked. Another bad set list. I couldn't believe how much new poo poo they played.

And like the other guy talking about this tour, we almost got in a fight with 3 assholes in hunting hats and chinstraps.

I have never been disappointed with motorhead before :(
They still beat megadeth's rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I can't believe that loving oval office is shoving her cancerous rear end into what will be the last hurrah for Sabbath (assuming Iommi survives). I'm reading Iommi's book now and the picture he paints of bill ward is one of a guy you could not possibly have a problem with.

If he ain't behind the drums in a reunion I'll just have to be thankful I saw the original lineup once in my life and skip this one.

gently caress you sharon.

Spergio Leone posted:

Precisely what I was thinking when I read that post. I can't believe it's been that long, that Jack and Kelly are all grown up and that Ozzy is likely even more of a wreck.

Supposedly he's a lot more with it now that he fired a doctor who was literally writing the guy a prescription to counteract the effects of another prescription, and then writing one to counteract THAT one. I think I read he was on something like 20 different meds and over half of them were to fight side effects of other ones.

I guess now that he's off all that poo poo he's back to what you'd expect a lunatic rock star to be like after 40 years of coke and booze, and not a stroke victim like he was on TV.