Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Halloween: Gaahl on a budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah nobody at all recognized me. My friend went with me as King Diamond and got recognized once.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aw that sucks :( Sounds like Cory Smoot was the guitarist since about the "Violence Has Arrived" era, which is when I really got into GWAR.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Perfect Element posted:

visionary
single minded

I loving love Absu.

Does Proscriptor write the music or is he just the "front man"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ah okay, I was going to say, that explains the "visionary" and "single minded" descriptors.

Proscriptor descriptors.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thought I'd post a reminder of how amazing this song is - I listened to it on repeat for a while yesterday.

Moonsorrow - "Huuto"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTMNuKzINDw

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fuuuuuck I might be driving to DC

Carpool? :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Seeing Gr31ly post in the other thread reminds me... his old post got me on a big retro/throwback/Cult Rock/whatever kick. I've been jamming a lot of Graveyard, Ghost, Blood Ceremony, The Devil's Blood, Jex Thoth, Withcraft, and, to a lesser extent, Year of the Goat (though I'm getting tired of them).

What else should I check out? Or should I be in the stoner thread?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Capilarean posted:

Is there anything like !T.O.O.H!?
I'm not really a fan of grindcore/deathgrind/whatever the gently caress you want to call that but the way they mix the grindy clusterfucks with riffs and solos that wouldn't feel out of place on an Iron Maiden album really appeals to me somehow.
The vocals certainly help too,I never was fond of straight-up growling and the manic way the guy sings really fits in well.

If you want a mix of grindy noise and awesome sweeping operatic choruses, check out Anaal Nathrakh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rymgm3jcuWc

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man I wish there were a good place to buy metal hoodies online. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a plain hoodie and sewing a back patch on it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My girlfriend won't let me wear metal shirts in public anymore.

Time for a new girlfriend

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Speaking of bootleg shirts, I just stumbled across this:

http://tshirtslayer.com/item/worst-bootleg-metal-shirts-ever

These are all amazing.

Ahahaha is that Dani Filth on that Behemoth shirt?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

WOW.

Toxic Holocaust shirt at my government IT job right now, what's up :hfive:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of offices would at least file a complaint if you wore a GOATWHORE shirt or something

Yeah, I tend to only where my Goatwhore shirt during the winter because I can throw a hoodie over it... I live in the bible belt and don't feel like dealing with people :kiddo:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I wear a Toxic Holocaust shirt pretty frequently, it's not like anyone can read the font anyway. My issue is more with ugly design and slogans on the back like "KILL EVERYONE" or "DRINK BLOOD 666 DEVILFUCK" that just come off as something aimed at kids who desperately want to alienate their parents.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

And because it's Vintersorg, he literally means the entire universe.

This made me laugh way harder than it should.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Inquisition.

Thanks for reminding me about these guys. I forgot how much this song kicks my rear end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-K27yiVrk

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Concatenation posted:

Wellp, looks like I might be getting an interview with Dave of Anaal Nathrakh (also Benediction and Mistress) after all. Anyone have any questions for him? I'm like a nervous schoolgirl now :dance:

Aw, just Dave? Mick Kinney is so dreamy :allears:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

BGrifter posted:

Looks like the first two parts of the new documentary by the guy who did Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal are premiering on Much More Music in Canada tonight. His first two documentaries were pretty cool, probably worth checking out the new one.

What's the new one about?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Inquisition is playing a last minute off-day show at a dive bar near me on Monday :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Monkeytime posted:

By all means, go. I saw them yesterday in a room that was probably twenty yards square and they absolutely killed it. I had no idea it was only two guys; the sound was full and it would seem that the record required little overdubbing, which is shocking. I was also able to verify that the bizarre robo-Abbath vocal delivery is done without any kind of processing.

e: $5? Get outta here.

I was told this is an off-tour-date show - did they have merch? I want to give them all my money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Saw Cannibal Corpse yesterday. Small venue, great moshing, long set with classics like "I cum blood", "Hammer-smashed face", "hosed with a knife", etc, everything went pretty awesome, even though I'm not the biggest CC fan. We even got to take a picture with Corpsegrinder and get our tickets signed.

Cannibal Corpse has been playing almost the exact same set for like 10 years, and I am 100% okay with that. They're always a blast live.

Also, last time I saw them I talked football** with Corpsegrinder and he signed the inside of my vest.

** "So, playoffs eh?"
"Yep."
"Hey, you mind signing this?"
:shobon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
On a separate note: has anyone mentioned how awesome Ghoul's newest album, Transmission Zero, is? Because it's a fantastically fun and weird mix of death, thrash and rockabilly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoa I didn't know Amon was doing anything these days.

In general, I haven't liked anything Deicide has put out since Serpents of the Light. But, that being said, To Hell With God has a few cool tracks on it. The title track is pretty headbangingly catchy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know if it's "worship" as much as it is using him as excuses to do things. A bar in Brooklyn is having a guitar raffle and donating the proceeds to some charity, and I'm definitely going, but only because it's my favorite bar and I don't have anything better to do.

I know at least 3 people who got tattoos of him after he died... it's kind of "worship".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CameronCahill posted:

If u like folk metal u'll like these guys, band called stormwarrior, viking metal ftw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVr6qzfpdas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWt0WY0enIY&feature=related

I'll check this out, but just for future reference, that kind of text-speak posting doesn't go over well here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I threw in the new Taake again last night. It's such an amazingly solid album. Also, the banjo solo on "Myr" is hilarious every time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sgt. Slobber posted:

General question to all of you:

What does metal mean to you? Like, what feelings or attitudes does it stir up? What other things do you associate with metal? What draws you to metal?

...Satan.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It took me a while to ponder my list.

At the top is Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage by a mile, then...

Boris - Heavy Rocks/Attention Please/New Album (they all came out almost at the exact same time so I'm counting them as one entry)
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light vol. 1
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
YOB - Atma
Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (haters gonna hate)
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

There are 4 bands that are inevitably on all my top 10 lists for any given year: WitTR, Boris, Agalloch, and the Melvins. Some of those bands may be going in weird directions that aren't as metal as they used to be (ahem, Boris), but I still love them. Like the way you'd love a really lovely finger-painting done by your retarded little brother.

edit-- God drat it doesn't feel like albums such as Marrow of the Spirit and Lawless Darkness came out a YEAR ago. I almost had both of those on my list before I realized they were 2010. gently caress, where does the time go?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spergio Leone posted:

(Agalloch being one of the latter).

Well put on some headphones right drat now and let John Haughm take you on a journey through the woods of Portland, Oregon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you familiar with death n roll at all? Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and stuff like that. Entombed, Six Feet Under, Gorefest's '96 and '98 albums, and Helltrain are the ones that come to mind. I realize that none of those are quite like "Swansong", but it might be what you're looking for.

Or, on the other side of the spectrum, there's the newer Satyricon albums. They're more "black n roll" than "death n roll" I guess? I don't know, these labels are dumb.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of deaths, Cory Smoot's (Flattus Maximus from GWAR) death was ruled to be a heart attack, according to the medical examiner.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

One of the main bands they usually played was Bad Luck 13: Riot Extravaganza, which was a mixture of hardcore/Anal oval office trolling/backyard wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSU3lRiR9gM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78cXGBFNsc

BL13 shows were the only shows I've ever gotten bloody at.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Turk February posted:

Want to get excited on a Friday? Treat yourself to the brand new Napalm Death track, "Leper Colony". It is really bass-heavy and absolutely crushes. February 28th cannot come soon enough.

Holy poo poo this owns.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Black Sabbath just released the following:

quote:

With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan – the “IRON MAN” of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery.

drat :( But, if Nergal can beat lymphoma, so can Tony Iommi!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hellwuzzat posted:

I know that almost all of you don't care about Woods of Ypres, but I found a Youtube comment that makes Mr. Gold's passing suck 1,000 times more.

I found lyrics for Woods six and seven.....David was planning ahead...
Esther Gold, David's Mom

:smith:

Woods 5 isn't as good as Woods 4, but I still really like them. It's such a shame.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Behemoth, Watain and The Devil's Blood are touring North America together this summer... official announcement should be coming out tomorrow.

:aaa:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Personally, I just think they're boring.

But in other news - I hate to say it, but I don't completely hate the new Abigail Williams :aaa:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nudejedi posted:

They used to be awesome and called Burn the Priest, now they're less so with a dumb tongue in cheek name.

I always forget about Burn the Priest. They were actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aren't they from Oregon? I can't imagine they wouldn't.