Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Not to redirect the discussion about musical quality and derivation in a humiliatingly incorrect direction, but I've been on a nostalgic early-Gothenburg kick lately and I'm looking for things in the vein of In Flames's Lunar Strain, Dark Tranquillity's Skydancer, and At the Gates's Terminal Spirit Disease. Basically, stuff laden with midrange and reverb, and banking on textured tremolo-picking rather than the derivative pedal-point Slaughter of the Soul rhythm guitars that took over the entire genre a couple of years later. Do not recommend anything that sounds like any major Gothenburg album released after 1995.

Bonus points for gay acoustic guitar interludes and violins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.
Great recommendations, I'm really digging this Sacrilege album. I'm really surprised I never heard of them, given the Daniel Svensson thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

satan is my oppa posted:

What kind of sucker and fool does not like Deathspell?
The same kind of people who don't like Iced, Symphony or Dream probably

Edit: To be fair, Block is definitely better in Iced than he was in Into

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

This is the most annoying post I have read in awhile.

whoosh

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

I used to think that Arch Enemy were the absolute best when I was younger, but now I actually can't stomach them at all. Which is strange, really, because I still love all of the other bands like Opeth and Katatonia I got into at the same time.

I'm not sure what it is, if it's just their Sneap-production and lame fvck-da-system themes or what.
Stigmata is still a pretty sick album and I do throw it on from time to time. Burning Bridges had its cool parts, but too many riffs lifted wholesale out of classic metal albums for my tastes.

Agreed that anything with Angela Gossow sucks poo poo, though. Andy Sneap was one of the worst things to ever happen to metal music, but at least his presence in an album's credits makes an easy screening mechanism for new bands.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

m-o-o-n posted:

Djent is the metal version of brostep
I've been saying for years that in 10 years people will look at Meshuggah the way we look at Yngwie Malmsteen today

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BSchlang posted:

I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

The only ones I know of that fit the bill are Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Antestor, and a bunch of metalcore bands.
Incubus (not that Incubus) were among the most underrated death/thrash bands of their generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwgy-wT0blk

Doug Pinnick has largely distanced himself from Christianity over the way he's been treated over his homosexuality, but King's X's older stuff is awfully Christian in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SYPzKzD94

And of course, there's everything Neal Morse has ever touched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidj1rhZdXg

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 23, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Turk February posted:

Where else have you guys seen heavy metal in the mainstream where you certainly didn't expect it?
Winner:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Turk February posted:

It's been a while since I've heard really good old-school death metal, but the new Revel in Flesh album, "Deathevokation," is so loving good. Nothing but pure Boss HM-2 European-styled death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYhPjcoeZG0
Naming the band after an Entombed song and the album after a Carnage/Dismember song is perhaps taking it a bit too far for me to enjoy this, especially when they sound more like very early (and not very good) Edge of Sanity rather than either of the bands whose work they're pillaging for the sake of name recognition.

(I find it a bit too mechanical to even be reminiscent of the Stockholm scene, anyway. The great bands of that period were all loving sloppy and all the better for it. )

I feel the need to impress upon you how dirty and nasty this style should sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYLFBvf1kc

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 28, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

"she got a poo poo load of moneyyyy" - Sonata Arctica
Did I just hear the line "I'm losing my insanity" in that teaser?

This poo poo is approaching Dan Swano-bad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

Dan Swano rules :frogout:
Dan "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SKY TONIGHT" Swano

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rabid Koala posted:

No way, man. Dez is going to ask for the "biggest circle pit ever." It's going to be "brutal."
Hey man, who wouldn't want to pay $65 to see Job for a Cowboy?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gorilla Radio posted:

Oh god, does this mean that we're going to get a crappy pop-punk cover of Welcome To The Jungle? Or even worse, a crappy GNR pop-punk tribute album?
It would be like a reverse Spaghetti Incident

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Martout posted:

I've heard worse power metal than the new Dragonforce. That said, are they still trying to pose as supremely technically proficient guitarists? Because that's what makes every guitarist I know hate them.

Yeah that's way uncool, even against CoF. The sound check was also less of a sound check and more of a fred durst guitar solo youtube for 20 minutes.
Only one Roadrunner band really badly deserved to get things thrown at them until they got offstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This actually sounds like it would have been completely at home on Ghoul's Splatterthrash

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Stoo posted:

You know those kind of one-in-a-million photos that you snap unintentionally and accidentally capture something amazing? This one of Karl Willetts that EvilMoJoJoJo snapped when we saw Bolt Thrower at the weekend is basically just that

:shepface:
don't make me post that hail-mary photo of horgh again

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BoyGenius posted:

Two bands I've been listening to a lot of recently:

Dark Tranquility - Out of Nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Dkr5HGNsI

All Shall Perish - The Day of Justice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77p4nRKdiOk
thanks for posting

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Clit Avoider posted:

The Ruins of Beverast
Thanks for this, I've been looking for something in the vein of Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon for about 8 years

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah I got this tattoo before the bassist went to jail for pedophilia
What do you honestly think is the age of the youngest girl Lemmy has slept with

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I just listened to the last Dark Suns album and man :(

It's an order of magnitude more interesting than Opeth's Heritage, but why can't great metal bands just stay metal?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I saw them at Ozzfest in I think 05, their lead singer was a fat annoying nerd and they were god-awful.
I have no problem with a singer being fat if they just keep their loving shirt on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Psalmanazar posted:

You've listened to Slayer right? I've never seen a metalhead of any description who didn't like the album Reign of Blood.
Paging MrBling to bait post

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CornHolio posted:

They did get Snowy Shaw, though, and he makes everything so much more awesome.
Plus, he joined Dimmu Borgir and quit a day after the official announcement.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

A friend pointed me towards French band The Great Old Ones, and from the samples on their Bandcamp, I think I'm in love. They're somewhere between spacey French black metal, and funeral doom.

Oh, and Roadrunner UK/Canada is shutting down, with massive cuts to other offices (Germany etc). Bad news for Opeth and Mastodon, I guess.

quote:

Roadrunner Records, which has been in operation since 1980, is a division of Warner Music and has long pioneered rock music and breaking new metal bands, including early releases from Metallica.
They're clearly confused because Elektra and Roadrunner are both Warner labels, but :psyduck:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Flynn Taggart posted:

...is that Alexi Laiho?
and his then-girlfriend

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Whoa, Vital Remains plays here in a couple weeks, almost missed it! Any word on how they are live?
They're fun to watch, but they were much better when they had Anthony Geremia filling in for Glen Benton a few years ago. Benton just kind of sits there and looks fat. Geremia, on the other hand, was having way too much fun and had a better stage presence than pretty much any vocalist I've ever seen.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Compared to Siena Root this is frankly embarrassing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It's like an extension of the Damnation soft stuff.
I think that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt were probably listening to a lot of Morte Macabre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUR6G7qSbEQ

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It seems like you see this poo poo from metal reviewers more than any other genre. It's not enough to say you didn't like something and explain why you didn't like it for these assholes. They have to throw in "human being" this and "oval office" that and sprinkle it liberally with AIDS jokes and assorted misogyny and homophobia, generally the kind of childish poo poo you'd expect to hear from a 12-year-old on XBox Live, not a twenty-something-year-old music reviewer.

I guess the idiot meatheads are just part of the whole metal package. :sigh:
It's not that metalheads are dumber on the whole, just more prone to share their asinine opinions like someone else in the world gives a gently caress.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Relax and revel in immaturity, it's fun sometimes.
I was unable to revel in "monkey cheese bacon" when I was in high school and "tits human being AIDS" isn't any more enticing

The problem isn't that I'm offended by language or the person's viewpoints, it's that this Maddox poo poo is downright annoying in the year 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also I'll just leave this here:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/05/14/varg-vikernes-is-making-a-table-top-rpg/

Varg Vikernes posted:

Oh, it is a very long time since I last played a game, and I think even back then, when I had the opportunity to play, my biggest fascination was the logic (or lack thereof) of the system itself, the technical details and gaming mechanics, the complexity of the gaming world, races, stats and so forth.
:laugh:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BjornOfBorg posted:

Seated metal concerts is the strangest phenomenon ever and I don't think I've ever encountered it anywhere in Europe.
Well, there was that infamous incident with Slayer at the Felt Forum (MSG) in '88 where the fans started ripping all the cushions out of the seats and throwing them at the stage. Most venues have been too smart for that poo poo at metal shows since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qzz6rfuiFg

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thank you for this

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Stoat posted:

If you're only checking out one track from Sonata Arctica's new album, make it Cinderblox. It has a banjo. It has a bunch of banjo.
Because the country thing worked out so well for In Flames

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm really not disappointed. I always thought Rob Lowe was tonally really flat and boring -- think Ripper Owens in Iced Earth -- and the band really deserves a much richer singer. Messiah Marcolin was a perfect fit for that band, and it's a shame that he was too much of a fat manbaby to continue.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEE5_yfNbFg

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rion.exe posted:

I stumbled upon a weird band you guys might enjoy - Hail Spirit Noir.

It's sorta, um... blackened psychedelic rock?

Pretty neat!
A bit of this album kinda reminds me of Ghoul's hosed-up take on psychobilly surf rock, and that's only a good thing. The record is hit or miss for sure, but it's a drat good debut.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

How did I have so much going on over the past year that I had no idea an Arcturus reunion was a thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Drifter287 posted:

Geoff Tate is out of Queensryche. http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175707

Pretty wild. They were one of my favorite bands when I younger and I still love them, but apparently Tate went a little Axl Rose in recent years. Too bad, but La Torre has a phenomenal voice and I'm excited to hear what these guys do going forward.
Their guitarist is married to Tate's stepdaughter. That's got to be an awkward Christmas.

Stoat posted:

Dead Letters from the new Katatonia album is on Youtube (legally).

It's less doomy and slow than their older stuff, but I think it's great. It's more progressive metal which is nice!
This is excellent, but that guitarwork is inviting way too many comparisons to Lateralus-era Tool.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 21, 2012