Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Snowy posted:

E- drat I forgot how much this record kicks rear end. The guys voice is so good but reminds me of someone else the whole time, I just can’t think of who
Reminds me a lot of Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Issaries posted:

True. I listened those albums now and I get why non-progheads don't like them.
Good stuff though, just not very metal.
As a huge proghead: two of the four prog albums are bad

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MrBling posted:

hello

please listen to these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMNMjbg2Xs

they're from chile and they play cool death metal, and also they only have 12 subscribers on their youtube channel.
this is objectively perfect death metal production

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Death metal Therion did absolutely nothing new but they were a great pastiche of whatever Unleashed was doing the year before

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of those old Edge of Sanity remasters, I recently started listening to Gorement's The Ending Quest, which has slipped past my attention since 1994. If you like that Edge of Sanity sound from The Spectral Sorrows through Crimson, this is a good listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WYLnRMZMy0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Monstaland posted:

Sounds kinda folk to me tho
Yeah, this reminds me a lot of other folk metal from the early 2000s. In particular I'm hearing Equilibrium's Turis Fratyr, Thyrfing's Urkraft, and Moonsorrow's Kivenkantaja in the earlier track. It's strange to me that I'm hearing mostly Nordic/Germanic folk influences here, because you had stuff like Negura Bunget hitting the prime of their success around the same period, as well as a lot of central European stuff beginning to hit stride

The one from 2013 mostly sounds like Vintersorg-era Borknagar to me, maybe with some Thrawsunblat or later Woods of Ypres thrown in. Nothing terribly new here, but well-written, and definitely folk metal

It did remind me to listen to this gem again. It's a side project of Blackie from Root, who made a way-ahead-of-its-time pagan folk doom metal album without any "folk instruments". His others aren't this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgHfGxqg10

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cobra Commander posted:

Can we get a fun metal beef between bands where they write songs about how they would kill other bands? I want to see Disgorge vs Disgorge. Some nerd rear end power metal bands slaying some dork rear end other power metal band with their enchanted longblades. Cannibal Corpse vs anyone is really what I want to hear.
every song Seth Putnam ever wrote

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I used to count SfaM in my top 10 albums, and I had a really hard time getting through it recently. It wasn't any of the usual stuff that bothered me either, like Jordan Rudess's stupid keyboard tones or James LaBrie's entire voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Been working through Scar Symmetry's albums post-vocalist change, and they still have some great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjm-1dITtG0

Really love their riffs with the 7 string guitar.
Huh, I never realized they brought on the guy who replaced Dan Swanö in the non-Dan Swanö version of Edge of Sanity