Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Nordick posted:

Man, I'm just glad I don't know a loving thing about playing any instruments or mixing music, so things like weird playing styles or whatnot don't bother me and I can just focus on the music.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

As for thrash albums, this thread turned me onto the album "Forbidden World" by Antichrist that was released this year, and holy poo poo, it is ridiculously good if you like raw old-school thrash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cm8C1TpPkUQ

This is still my favorite metal-themed car commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

The comment "ENTRAILS RIPPED FROM A VOLVO'S TRUNK" loving slayed me.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MrBling posted:

I love when you can find a band you had never heard of and just instantly love them.

This happened to me yesterday when I discovered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7escb2kUw

This loving rules. Thanks for that.

I got a chance to listen to the new Aborted album, and it is really good. It is leaps and bounds better than "Strychnine.213" and "Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture". It's much more melodic than their previous albums, but the formula works incredibly well.

Also, it looks like fellow goon and owner of Metal Blast is going to get the chance to interview Mark "Barney" Greenway of Napalm Death on Saturday! This is a huge get for us, and I was wondering if anybody had any questions for him.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 12, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TheForgotton posted:

Submitted for your approval: Virgin Steele - Perfect Mansions.

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Virgin Steele's new song, off the album Age of Consent.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXC98py0Nok By the Hammer of Zeus (and the Wrecking Ball of Thor) (wtf?) a photo video with epic poses with swords and flames and archery in forests, but what in the gently caress is the picture at 1:40. Everything is wrong.

I love how in both of these videos that the guy has absolutely no power to his voice. You can tell he just spoke really softly and they just turned it all the way up in the mix.

Eat your heart out, Manowar!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

thepitgoddess posted:

I haven't posted any interviews in a while...so here's one from Marissa Martinez, the coolest woman in metal.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/cretins-marissa-martinez-renaissance.html

A new cretin? Yes please. :)

Oh poo poo, awesome. I thought Cretin was over for some reason. Good to hear.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm sure there are fans of Splattered Entrails, Malodorous, and Cordectomy here. I was able to do an interview with Mike O'Hara who plays in all three. Mike had no qualms about getting really in-depth with me and he was awesome, really nice. I know the picture of him on the mainpage looks like poo poo. I have no idea what the dimensions are for that frame. :(

He also released a new Splattered Entrails EP a few days ago and it has 7 tracks on it, and it is ridiculously awesome; "Screams Of Distant Terror" is definitely my favorite song on it.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 15, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Radio Paranoia posted:

Post full of very informative and interesting stuff

This rules. Quite the effort post for a scene I've never explored before. I'm definitely digging Bile Of Man and will have to do more research later on today. Thanks.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CM Funk posted:

See this is how I've always felt about them. "Sub-Pantera" shouldn't be damning with faint praise but in their case it really, really is.

It was already brought up, but the way their music is produced is the main thing that kills me, and that Randy Blythe has always sounded like poo poo. Everything just feels like it's turned up far louder than it was actually recorded. Put that on top of their boring-as-poo poo riffs and you have a recipe for disaster.

The webzine I work for recently did an interview with Mark "Barney" Greenway of Napalm Death, and god drat that man loves to talk, and I could listen to it all day. We had a lot of questions for him, but we were only able to get through about half of them. I really wanted to see if he remembered or had any thoughts about "Twist The Knife (Slowly)" being used in the old Mortal Kombat movie from 1995, but, alas, you can only ask so many questions in thirty minutes. Incredibly well-spoken and one of the nicest guys.

I am definitely stoked for "Utilitarian" to come out next month. Speaking of which, they just released their new "Analysis Paralysis" EP this past Monday, too, so go pick that up.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv I could never get into Skeletonwitch, either. I'm not sure why, because I should be a fan of them. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that really puts me off of them.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 18, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CornHolio posted:

Looks like Nile added some NA dates.

I'm going to try very hard to make it to the Grand Rapids show. I saw them in Chicago last year and that was absolutely epic.

Does anybody know when their new album is coming out yet?

I am definitely going to the Cleveland show since that is the closest they are coming to my city for that tour. It is a loving travesty that The Black Dahlia Murder is headlining of Nile, but that always seems to happen. At least now I get to see them do a longer set without TBDM loving everything up.

As for the new album, last I remember hearing it was slated for either a Spring or Summer release, but that was a long time ago.

thepitgoddess posted:

New Spawn of Possession track is streaming on Metal Sucks.

I like it. Even if you don't love tech death, check this out, it's not full of soulless widdly wee, I think it's more thoughtful than that.

Spawn of Possession has always been one of the few tech-death bands I've always enjoyed. I feel like they take a similar approach to how Anata do things, except in a more brutal fashion. This new track rules, though.

Speaking of Anata, we haven't heard anything from them since "The Conductor's Departure" in 2006. I know they're still around, but what the hell is going on?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

uncle jimbo posted:

This is probably a goofy request that will get me laughed at, but I'm looking for some well produced death metal with an older school kind of sound. Anything recent come to mind?
That's a tough thing to find since both aren't exactly synonymous with one another these days, but I think some of these will be to your liking, even if production is slightly dirty on a couple:

"Dedicated To The Impure" by Crypticus
"Towards The Megalith" by Disma
"The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams" by Funebrarum
"World Wide Death" by God Among Insects
"...Of Frost And War" by Hail Of Bullets
"Into The Crypts Of Blasphemy" by Interment
"Forensic" by Mortal Decay
"Hells Unholy Fire" and "Hex" by Nunslaughter
"Opus Mortis VIII" by Vomitory

Speaking of old-school, has anybody seen Acheron live? I had no idea that they were located in Columbus, OH now and they are playing a show next Saturday. It's only $8 with some good openers so I'm going to go, but I'm just curious how they are.

edit: Oh! Forgot to mention that Napalm Death's upcoming album, "Utilitarian," is loving awesome. A lot of really cool poo poo mixed in with some classically styled Napalm tunes.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 20, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The Capitulator posted:

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.
This is and always will be an incredibly lazy and unsustainable argument. Don't do this. If this were the case, then I would hate Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, or Motorhead, because there are bound to be high school kids that like them. Do you see how dumb that sounds? There is a reason for everything, so people do "know these days," even if it is subjective.

quote:

But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.
You just said it yourself. This is the reason why a lot of people (including myself) dislike Lamb of God. I could go on more, but I would just be reposting my opinion verbatim from last page. There is no need to try and create a field of burning straw men.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

Apr. 11 - Columbus, OH - The Bluestone

gently caress YEAH! Starting the tour in my city! That was unexpected. It's on a Wednesday, but gently caress it. Callin' in sick for that Thursday! :woop:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 25, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

fappenmeister posted:

Some really lovely news guys http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168791

Mark Reale from Riot died.

Absolutely shattered, grew up listening to Thundersteel thousands of times. Their new album is really solid too.

Crohn's disease is a bitch. He was only 56, too. I was never a big fan of Riot, but I respected them for the body of work they had put out. Sad news, indeed.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Packard Goose posted:

I've really been turned on to Vader and Witchery. Are those two considered thrash metal?

Vader is death metal from Poland, while Witchery is thrash metal with a little bit of Swedish death metal influence.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Packard Goose posted:

I'd like to point out that Slayer won two grammys without ever having one of their tracks played on the radio. I hate Metallica for what they did with Napster and suing fans, and if Slayer can win a grammy with no air time then I don't know where that puts Metallica. Sure, Slayer had maybe a few songs on movie soundtracks, but that provides far less exposure than radio play.

While this may be true, the Grammy's are all about politics, and Slayer have been a part of huge music labels that are owned by Universal, Warner Brothers, and Sony. If you're going to tell me that none of those gigantic parent companies have ever spent any money to try and get one of their biggest metal artists some love from a group of whom most wouldn't know good heavy metal if it bit them in the rear end would be a bit naive, to say the least. Not to mention that Slayer hasn't written anything of real worth in nearly twenty years, so their two Grammy wins are from "Christ Illusion," which was one of their more commercially accessible albums. Just saying. </Slayer conspiracy>

Chalupa Joe posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

All I've heard so far is embarrassingly trite lyrics, and butt-rock nu-metal chugging.

Their first couple of albums may have had terrible lyrics, but at least the music was somewhat good (and there were solos!), their newer material is just awful.

I alerted Non Serviam to this very fact at how cringe-worthy the lyrics were. After showing him Andrea Ferro's horrific lyrics on "Give Me Something More," I remember saying to him, "A grown-rear end 38-year-old man wrote these with all seriousness in tact. Holy poo poo."

Like you, I actually enjoyed their previous albums, especially "Comalies," but "Dark Adrenaline" failed spectacularly in so many parts, even though there were a couple of good songs.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 30, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

QPZIL posted:

Sigh are one of my guilty pleasures. "The Transfiguration Fear," a track from their upcoming album, In Somniphobia, is streaming a bit after the 16min mark in this BBC radio program webcast.

God they're so weird, I love it. They've gone... weird, Megaman-congo-fusion, or something.

edit-- not to mention they just have the best album covers:

This rules so hard.

In other news, it looks like "Corpsegrinder" is going to collaborate with Adam D. of Killswitch Engage and Shannon Lucas of The Black Dahlia Murder. I fear this is going to suck.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

llama_arse posted:

Can one of you fine gentlemen recommend me some bands with sci-fi themed/inspired lyrics a la Voivod, Hypocrisy and The Faceless?

His music isn't necessarily only sci-fi themed, but Mike O'Hara of Splattered Entrails has a decent amount of technology/sci-fi-themed music on his last two releases, "Nauseate" and the 2012 EP he just released last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEwQt4yZEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUe6T2eaUcc

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 5, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Misogynist posted:

Oxiplegatz's Sidereal Journey is a beautiful trainwreck.

This picture is incredible. How could it be bad?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
The really good thing about all these good tours happening near the same time is that the Cannibal Corpse and Nile tours intersect at this years Cincinnati Metal Fest on April 14th, so you get to see some cool local openers plus a lot of really good headline bands. Plus that is just three days after the Behemoth tour kicks off in Columbus. That week of April is going to be awesome.

I feel like I'm listening to The Acacia Strain, and that is not a good thing.

Xombie posted:

More GWAR dates announced, with Kylesa replacing Municipal Waste

04/13 San Antonio, TX – Backstage Live
04/14 Corpus Christi, TX – House of Rock
04/16 Pensacola, FL – Vinyl Music Hall
04/17 Orlando, FL – Beacham Theater
04/18 Jacksonville, FL – Free Bird Live
04/19 Asheville, NC – The Orange Peel
04/20 N. Myrtle Beach, SC – House of Blues SC
04/21 Baltimore, MD – Sonar
04/22 Columbus, OH – Newport Music Hall
04/23 Nashville, TN – Marathon Music Works
04/25 Buffalo, NY – The Town Ballroom
04/27 Hampton Beach, NH – Wally’s Pub
04/28 Allentown, PA – Crocodile Rock

Finally they're coming back to Columbus. They skipped us the last two tours.

Hey Columbus buddy. Looks like we'll be going to the same show, but I really wish Municipal Waste was staying on for that date.

Speaking of Municipal Waste, Tony Foresta and LandPhil Hall and two guys from some other poo poo band put together a hardcore punk group called Iron Reagan, and their four-track demo is up for free download. It's pretty awesome.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Reading this made me very happy because I'm 98% sure I'm moving to Cincinnati next year, and I've lived 2 hours away from anything decent for the last 2 years.

You and me both, since I moved to Columbus just over a year ago, and I am discovering more and more good shows that are either right next to my apartment or just a couple hours away.

I don't really know anybody in this city besides family, so it would be nice to get to go to shows with people other than myself.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
It looks like I will be interview Martin Van Drunen on Wednesday so he can promote the new Asphyx album, "Deathhammer." Anybody got any questions?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 11, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I made a thing for tour dates.

http://www.metalplague.com/

I wouldn't just be plugging this in here if I didn't think it'd be useful with all the tours coming up.

No bullshit, just tour dates. It's a wordpress theme, all the bands are catagories and all the locations are the tags, so you can just click on whatever and it'll show what's in that area. I had this page going for a while but it died, and all the talk about tour dates got me going again. I originally had it set up to publish to facebook, twitter, and tumblr, and I'll work on getting that back up and rolling. edit: hey cool, it looks like my automated publishing settings are still operating. mp on http://www.facebook.com/metalplague and https://twitter.com/666metalplague

And any you awesome goons who are way more in the know about tour stuff than I am, it'd be super if you could shoot any tour info my way at submit@metalplague.com

Thanks for your time :black101:

This is pretty sweet. Bookmarked.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Concatenation posted:

If you guys are keen to hear the new Napalm Death album: I co-host a weekly extreme metal show on https://www.thepitfm.com called The Blast Zone, and this Friday (Thursday evening in the US/CA) we'll be playing it in it's entirety. I've only given it one spin so far but it hasn't disappointed me, Barney's vocal delivery is more diverse than ever and there are some great nods to old school hardcore punk amidst the groovy riff fest. Also, a saxophone.

Anyway tune in if you're keen and maybe throw a request or two my way for next week.

Australian WST: Fridays 9am-12, repeats 7pm-10pm
UTC: Fridays 1am-4am, repeats 11am-2pm
US CST: Thursdays 7pm-10pm repeats Fridays 5am-8am

(hopefully not too shameless a plug)

I thoroughly consumed and digested that album for over a month, and I am still not tired of "Utilitarian." It is a loving masterpiece from beginning to end. I was finally able to post my review of it earlier this morning, so go here to read it.

It will more than likely be the only time I give that good of a score in the next few years.

Seriously, listen to this guys radio show so you can experience the grinding power that is Napalm Death.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

With all the tour talk earlier, and after I started up my site, I've realized that - holy gently caress - there are way more metal tours coming up than I thought.

Tours I don't think that were mentioned earlier:

Devildriver, The Faceless, Dying Fetus, Job For A Cowboy, 3 Inches Of Blood, Impending Doom, Wretched

Overkill, God Forbid, Diamond Plate, Suidakra

Crowbar, Prong

Deicide, Jungle Rot, Abigail Williams, Lecherous Nocturne

Corrosion Of Conformity, Torche, Valient Thorr, A Storm Of Light

and High On Fire, Darkest Hour, Nachtmystium, Intronaut, Black Tusk, Holy Grail, Monstro all at the South By South Death (SXSW) thing.

All of which I put up on here http://metalplague.com/

(I know there are a lot more active metal goons on here who actually do interviews and know what's up all the time, so I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes by doing this site. I'm just trying to have one all-inclusive site for metal tour dates and nothing more.)

I've never been good at keeping track of tour dates, so I think your site is definitely going to come in handy. Already bookmarked it.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gils posted:

Not even close to where I live. Why is the midwest so big :negative:

Yeah, they skipped Ohio completely, so looks like I'll be heading up to Detroit for that show. Maybe this is what I can get my friend as a gift for his wedding...

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

thepitgoddess posted:

I don't know how many people here are Decapitated fans, but this video is making the rounds-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoW35319lU

For anyone who may not know, when Decapitated had the bus accident that killed Vitek, Covan(then vocalist) was extremley injured as well. Since the insurance companies delayed service to Covan because the accident was in Russia, the injuries we're left to long and he was left extremely handicapped. It is somewhat possible for him to recover, but it is extremely costly on his family(E4000 per treatment, of which he needs many). Please try and donate to the cause as this is definetly a person who does not deserve what happened to him. And if you can, go see Decapitated on tour as some proceeds will go to Covan.

e- There's English subtitles available. This is pretty hard to watch at some points.

I watched this a couple days ago and it's just sad as all hell. Not only was Vitek (Vogg's brother) taken in such a horrific way, but for it to basically leave Covan in a severely hosed up state is awful, too.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I was able to get my hands on an advance copy of "Torture" by Cannibal Corpse today, and let me tell you, it is loving good. I wasn't a very big fan of "Evisceration Plague," and seems to be a pretty good mixture of "Kill" and "Gallery Of Suicide"/"Bloodthirst." It's way better than "Evisceration Plague" was, and there is some seriously vicious riffs in this album.

You will definitely want to pick this up when it comes out; I can see a lot of these songs being perfect for their live shows.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TeamJesus posted:

The new Napalm Death is out... and features John Zorn and his saxophone?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUyPpzCfxc

Edit: drat, he's only on that one song.

There is a lot of great poo poo on that album, with Zorn's saxophone being one of the things that really threw me off. "Utilitarian" is ridiculously epic in some songs, and I suggest everybody goes out and grabs it next week when it is released.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Ein posted:

I've heard that Sabaton is pretty big in Europe, have fans cruised through this thread?

I was a fan of their debut album, but then after that I just kind of lost track of the band.

Nordick posted:

I dunno if I'm quite a "fan", but I do like them a lot. I like the whole WWII schtick (and thus listen to them a lot while playing World of Tanks), their catchy-as-gently caress melodies and the vocalist. When you're singing about tanks and snipers and battleships and poo poo, it kinda helps to sound, you know, manly.

This is why I love the all-star death metal band Hail Of Bullets. It's just crushing and visceral death metal with sharp-as-hell melodic leads, plus you can't go wrong with Martin van Drunen on vocals rasp-growling about how 300,000 soldiers died at Stalingrad. The good news is that they are going to be writing a new album soon.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

QPZIL posted:

Yeah there's a clip from the documentary out there where Bobby's talking to the documentary guy and signs a "contract" stating that if he smoked crack again, the documentary guy could have his entire record collection. Then he had this look in his eyes like "oh poo poo, I'm about to lose my entire record collection."

It was legitimately :smith:-inducing.

I know if I were hooked on crack that would get me to become sober immediately. My god, the horror... :ohdear:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This quiz popped up on Facebook. I somehow only got half right.

Rick Santorum quote or Dave Mustaine lyric/quote
http://motherjones.com/media/2012/02/rick-santorum-heavy-metal-megadeth-quiz

I got 50%, too, but I'm really not sure if it's better to get more right or wrong. All I know is that Dave and Rick are very similar now. :smith:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Newsflash: The new Terrorizer album, "Hordes Of Zombies," is loving boring. I'm sure we all expected this, but at least it's better than "Darker Days Ahead" was.

On a brighter note, everybody should check out Plague Widow from Sacramento, CA who play a ridiculously good and catchy version of brutal death metal/grindcore that is very reminiscent of Wormed mixed with the dissonant misery of Portal. Their self-titled EP is really loving good.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Sweet christ yessssss

Blabbermouth.net posted:

Swedish black metallers MARDUK will embark on a North American tour in June with support from 1349, WITHERED and WEAPON. The dates are as follows:

June 02 - Baltimore, MD - Sonar
June 03 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
June 04 - Montreal, QC - Les Foufounes Electriques
June 05 - Toronto, ON - Wreck Room
June 06 - Ottawa, ON - Maverick's
June 07 - Columbus, OH - Alrosa Villa
June 08 - Chicago, IL - Reggie's
June 09 - St. Paul, MN - Station 4
June 10 - Winnipeg, MB - Park Theater
June 11 - Regina, SK - The Exchange
June 12 - Calgary, AB - Distillery
June 14 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw Theater
June 15 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
June 16 - Portland, OR - Bossanova
June 17 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
June 18 - Fullerton, CA - Slidebar
June 19 - Hollywood, CA - House of Blues
June 20 - San Diego, CA - Ruby Room

This is awesome. The Alrosa Villa is five minutes away from my apartment; definitely stoked for this.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MrBling posted:

If anything, my preference in regards to the perceived skill level and production in metal seems to be devolving. The dirtier and sloppier it gets, the better it is.

This is exactly what has been happening to me. Even with bands that I know who like to have crisp and clean production, it kind of grates on my nerves, especially with a lot of technical death metal bands. I love hearing the imperfections of it all, because it makes it sound real, if that makes any sense. Embracing the muddiness and mistakes, I really enjoy that.

A lot of tech-death bands get on my nerves because they think that showing off their stellar musicianship is a good substitute for actual song-writing, which it isn't. I liked the new Spawn of Possession album, but at times it got to be a bit too much, particularly in the second-half of the album (although "Apparition" is a loving great song).

Just look at Viraemia as an example. They play their instruments very well, there's no doubt about it. But, all they do are sweeping scales for much of the song. That is not good song-writing. It is ham-fisted and lazy, even if it can make a mockery of what normal human beings are capable of. A band like Origin love to play scales, but they also know how to make interesting songs on-top of the stellar musicianship, which someone here already mentioned their song "Aftermath" off of "Antithesis" which is a perfect example of how to do it right.

Hell, Origin doesn't even like to use crisp and clean production a lot of the time. It's cleaner than most death metal, but it still has a raw emotion to it, which gets lost in translation with a lot of tech-death bands. I can appreciate people liking a lot of tech-death just for the way they can handle their instruments, but there has to be more to it, otherwise it just feels shallow.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

nerve posted:

Tech death literally raped and murdered my family

It's making a lot of death metal boring as poo poo.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Does anybody want to photograph and cover the Metal Master's event in West Hollywood, CA at The Keyclub on April 12th for free? David Ellefson, Mike Portoney, Kerry King, Charlie Benante, Frank Bello, Dave Lombardo, plus special guests are going to be there, so if there is any interest then PM me or e-mail me at jonburkan [at] metalblast [dot] net.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Killsion posted:

Ok, I'll be a bit more lenient. Their albums have been spotty since 2000.

I am going to come to your house and poo poo in your mouth, you mother fucker.

I don't mean to break up the textual slap fighting, but I would like to bring your attention to a brutal death/grind band from Sacramento, CA called Plague Widow. They play a style of discordant brutal death metal that is sometime reminiscent of Wormed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNHufICeJ4

They released their debut EP a couple of weeks ago and I have been playing it non-stop. You can buy the EP for $2, which is a drat good deal.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

SilverSmoke posted:

I don't get Meshuggah, what am I doing wrong? All I hear is a lot of percussion and an angry dude trying to do percussion with his voice. Which album should I listen to first because it seems i'm missing on something :downs:

Meshuggah has always been really hit-or-miss with me. I like their older albums because they seemed to have this cohesive thrash-tinge to their sound, even if it was minimal at best. "Chaosphere", "Destroy Erase Improve" and the 21 minute song/EP titled "I" are my favorites. I have "Koloss" but haven't given it a listen yet as I wasn't too thrilled with that 'Break The Bones And...' whatever-the-gently caress title it was sucking pretty hard.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Since I don't have a lot of time on my hands I can't be as in-depth as I would like in a discussion about Japanese metal, I have always been really fond of the way Japan has presented their death metal, grindcore, and goregrind. Bands like Catasexual Urge Motivation, Coffins, Flagitious Idiosyncracy In The Dilapidation, Intestine Baalism, Carcass Grinder, 324, Butcher ABC, and Bathtub Shitter are staples of my playlists. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cobweb Heart posted:

Oh, so you did. Agreed, the fact that it's a Jon Chang project should be enough recommendation for anybody. :)

Speaking of Jon Chang, I was watching the thriller/drama Homeland and they used 'Orphan' by Gridlink when they were using sensory torture on a captured terrorist. It came out of loving no where and I couldn't have been happier.

Where else have you guys seen heavy metal in the mainstream where you certainly didn't expect it?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 25, 2012