Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Juaguocio posted:

Y'all should listen to Ancients from Vancouver. It's unusual for a fast metal band to hold my attention, but I like the way they combine melody and swing with precision without sounding lame. They're absolutely one of the best live bands in the city right now, and I've seen them unleash a couple of 9-10 minute monsters at some recent shows.

I've been rocking their EP a lot over the last few days. Can't wait to hear where they go from here because there's a whole lot of potential in those 14 minutes. I'd love to see them live, but I don't live anywhere near Vancouver right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wow, that Metallica/Lou Reed sample is pure poo poo. What were they thinking?

Ps. The new Mastodon leaked. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but wanted to give a heads up to those who are down with album leaks.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

d0grent posted:

So the new Mastodon leaked. I'm halfway through the album and so far it's been really disappointing. The drums are fine and certainly more engaging than in Crack The Skye, but the vocal and guitar melodies seem directionless and unappealing. It's less proggy and slightly heavier than Crack The Skye but almost all the songs lack any attention grabbing hooks or riffs. Overall the songwriting just doesn't sound very thought out, or perhaps even too thought out, as if they tried desperately not to sound like their last couple albums. Many of these guitar riffs are just collections of notes without any real impact on the listener.
I was worried this would be the case. The interviews I've seen about the album seem to say that they were trying to just have a good time and be jokey and childish about things. A good way to depart from the seriousness of Crack The Skye, but I'm sure a lot of people will take it as "Mastodon have lost their edge" and not, "Mastodon are just having a good time with this one."

Still haven't listened, but I'll post back with my impressions later this afternoon.

Edit: I'm about halfway through right now. I think it's going to take a bit of time to grow on me, because it's way different from their other albums, but I can definitely see what they were going for.

Edit2: Three times through the album and it's already grown on me a lot. Even the jokey songs are coming around. I think Blasteroid and Bedazzled Fingernails are my favorites right now.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Polegrinder posted:

Ha, that's my favorite song. The Creature Lives.

Creature Lives turned me off after the first time I heard it, but I like it more every time. The only track I think I don't particularly like is The Hunter, which just sounds like a Crack The Skye outtake.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Gorilla Radio posted:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=672388&GT1=28103

I guess something had to be worse than Lou Reed Meets Metallica.

Jesus. What a waste of a recording session.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Torabi posted:

Seems like most of you guys are into the heavier stuff so I doubt anyone will like Volbeat since it is rather different. They sort of have an 50s vibe or whatever you call it. Inspired by Elvis and whatnot. But they do have some heavier stuff too.

I think Volbeat rules. But yeah they're definitely not that heavy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I saw Opeth a few years ago, and they played stuff like Baying of the Hounds and The Moor and I don't recall anyone moshing at all. Weird. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

vanov posted:

Like, Danny from Intronaut destroys Tomas in technicality, songwriting, and sheer groove, but no one mentions them here. I would link to Intronaut's "Below" but I'm typing on a phone, go listen on youtube.

This post made me finally listen to Valley of Smoke last night, after having it on my computer for a long time and never hearing it. What a loving great album.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

trilljester posted:

Was listening to Seasons in the Abyss on the drive into work this morning. Very sad to hear the news.

drat. I was listening to that AT work today. Such lovely news.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

leprous' new album Coal has leaked, and no surprise it's amazing.

Its definitely a little less "metal" than Bilateral, but it's also produced by Ihsahn, so you should know more or less what to expect, by which I mean expect the unexpected :haw:

I just posted about this in the prog thread after not remembering whether the chat about Bilateral was in here or in there. Guess it was probably in here. Coal is a fantastic album, at least on par with Bilateral, if not better.

My favorite track right now is The Valley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowKEvDSq1c

And here's the most metal track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNB7GGvhQWA

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Went to see Mastodon tonight, and I'm so glad I got there in time to see Gojira. Hadn't really listened to them aside from a couple songs here and there, but they blew me the gently caress away. Absolutely incredible.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah the new Mastodon is better than the Hunter, but not by that much. I like some of it, and I like some of the stuff on The Hunter, so I guess it works about the same. Some of it is pretty bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
New Intronaut track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb4E7oEZq0