Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, contemplating going to that show but it's at a seated venue. And I'm not a fan of Mastadon nor any recent Opeth stuff. $50 for seeing Ghost... eh, tough one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wouldn't even have these thoughts if whatever happened last time... didn't.

Enslaved - Alcest - Ghost -- would have been a perfect night!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I confess that I really like the first Dragonforce album. :negative:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The only Symphony X album I listen to regularly is their first... I'm broken.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defiant Sally posted:

Wow, Woods 5 from Woods of Ypres owns real loving hard. Makes me sad that we won't be seeing Woods 6 or 7.

Listen to this, listen to how hard this owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ

This entire album is so loving good, love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hahaha, what a bitch. Not a huge Sabbath fan but they are legend and you don't gently caress with legends. Last week I heard he was talking about "getting respect" whatever that meant and that leads to this.

Ozzy needs to just give it up. And isn't Iommi pretty much in the throes of death?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IRQ posted:

Is Ozzy even aware of the world around him at this point?

Read this somewhere else and it really sheds some light on the whole Ozzy legacy.

quote:

I don't know how complex his mind is. Did Ozzy ever write a song? Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi wrote everything in Black Sabbath and guys like Bob Daisley and Jake E. Lee wrote everything for Ozzy's "solo" career.

Sharon and Ozzy hosed over the band members' royalties and credits and fired anyone who complained. They got sued left and right, appropriately so, but committed perjury to win the lawsuits. I have no doubt if Randy Rhoads had lived to play on more than two albums he would have gotten screwed over too. Ozzy was involved in some great music in his day but he and Sharon are dishonest shitheads.

Ozzy never wrote much. He came up with the ideas for a few songs but everyone else would write the music and lyrics. When Dio joined Black Sabbath, Geezer Butler was thrilled because Dio wrote his own lyrics and it meant Geezer didn't have to work so hard anymore!

There is a perception of Ozzy as the "prince of darkness" and father of heavy metal but really he was a hired singer. Sharon, for right or wrong, deserves a lot of credit for shaping his image. On the Bark at the Moon album Ozzy is credited as the sole songwriter on every track when he probably didn't write more than a few words and none of the music. Without songwriting credits the band members wouldn't get paid any royalties. Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake and Phil Soussan have all sued over poo poo like that.

After Ozzy was kicked out of Black Sabbath his new band was supposed to be called Blizzard of Ozz, and not a solo project, but when the album came out the record company printed the records as a solo Ozzy album without notifying any of the other band members.

Daisley wrote probably 90% of Ozzy's first five albums. Once he was out, Sharon hired John Purdell and Lemmy Kilmister to write No More Tears and Ozzmosis. It's obvious that different songwriters were involved, without even looking at the song credits, since No More Tears sounds so radically different from the previous Ozzy albums. If Ozzy was writing his own songs all those years there should be some continuity.

While I agree about Ozzy being easily manipulated, he was still a part of it and knew what was going on.

Sharon knew Ozzy was her meal ticket and she did everything to keep the gravy train rolling and keep every dime in the family. She's awful.

And ends with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05JWjA0atc :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope they come back up to Canada in the summer -- seeing them and MW would be a killer night.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IRON MAIDEN NA TOUR!!!

quote:

Following the massively successful Final Frontier World Tour 2010-11, IRON MAIDEN are back on the road this summer with a series of Arena, Amphitheatre and Festival shows in the U.S.A. and Canada, opening in Charlotte, NC, U.S.A. on June 21, and finishing in Houston, TX, on Aug 18 (dates listed below), to be followed by further dates around the World in 2013. The MAIDEN ENGLAND WORLD TOUR will closely mirror, in terms of production and content, the original 1988 concert video of the same name, shot on the “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Tour”. This opening section of the World Tour is the band’s most extensive visit to North America for many years and includes a number of cities the band have not played in a very long time, such as Charlotte, Atlanta, Buffalo, Indianapolis and Salt Lake City.

*Maiden England 1988 Longform Video VHS Tracklisting
Moonchild, The Evil That Men Do, The Prisoner, Still Life, Die With Your Boots On, Infinite Dreams, Killers, Can I Play With Madness, Heaven Can Wait, Wasted Years, The Clairvoyant, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden.

MAIDEN ENGLAND 2012 TOUR DATES:

21st June - Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
23rd June - Atlanta, GA - Aarons Amphitheatre
26th June - Boston, MA - Comcast Center
27th June - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach
29th June - Philadelphia, PI - Susquehanna Bank Center
30th June - Washington, DC - Jiffy Lube Live
2nd July - Newark, NJ - Prudential Center
5th July - Chicago, IL - First Midwest Bank
8th July - Quebec, QC - Colisee Pepsi Arena
11th July - Montreal, QC - Bell Center
13th July - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheatre
14th July - Sarnia, ON - Bayfest
16th July - Buffalo, NY - Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
18th July - Detroit, MI - DTE Music Theatre
19th July - Indianapolis, IN - Klipsch Music Centre
24th July - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Center
26th July - Calgary, AB - Scotiabank Saddledome
27th July - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
29th July - Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum
30th July - Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheatre
1st August - Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre
3rd August - San Francisco, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
6th August - Phoenix, AZ - Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pavilion
9th August - Irvine, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
12th August - Albuquerque. NM - Hard Rock Pavilion
13th August - Denver, CO - Comfort Dental Amphitheatre
15th August - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
17th August - Dallas, TX - Gexa Energy Pavilion
18th August - Houston, TX - The Woodlands

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Very Special Guest Alice Cooper to July 21, Coheed and Cambria after July 21.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not from Vancouver but check this basic listing:

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsCity.aspx?ID=63586&SortBy=Date&SearchBy=vancouver

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thepitgoddess posted:

I don't know how many people here are Decapitated fans, but this video is making the rounds-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoW35319lU

For anyone who may not know, when Decapitated had the bus accident that killed Vitek, Covan(then vocalist) was extremley injured as well. Since the insurance companies delayed service to Covan because the accident was in Russia, the injuries we're left to long and he was left extremely handicapped. It is somewhat possible for him to recover, but it is extremely costly on his family(E4000 per treatment, of which he needs many). Please try and donate to the cause as this is definetly a person who does not deserve what happened to him. And if you can, go see Decapitated on tour as some proceeds will go to Covan.

e- There's English subtitles available. This is pretty hard to watch at some points.

Jesus christ.... jesus christ.... :( I had no idea he was that bad. :( I couldn't bear watching it for too long. That's not how any man should live. Honored to have seen them both live but man... that is not right. I'm way to upset right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trabant posted:

Distribution of metal bands per capita worldwide:

Big chart here. No surprise about Scandinavia, but Canada :argh:

Just like the Scandinavian countries, we're cold and pissed off with a lot of access to beer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone should check out GIANT SQUID.

Really amazing proggy stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

I really liked Metridium Fields but whatever the new one was called...can't stand it. I read they had some lineup changes between albums and I'm hoping the new one was just them getting used to each other...

That would be the video above from the EP "Cenotes", it was the first thing I heard and liked it a lot. A friend of mine is going to see them soon ... not sure if it was in NYC or SF, one of those. Metridium Fields is loving great from what I heard on YouTube.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just heard about that Marduk show today -- like most here I assume, they were one of the first BM bands I got into. Mainly for their "gently caress Me Jesus" ep. :3:

Them and 1349 should be a nice night.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm new to the world of technical death metal, but come on, Spawn of Possession's new album has to be considered something special, right? This is absolutely ridiculous, inhuman material. I don't think I've heard musicianship and songwriting this intense before.

It's a good album but I wasn't blown away.

Sorry, i'm that guy. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2001 me, "Man, if only metal was more popular"

2012 me, "Jesus christ these bands..."

Not that I care anymore, hopefully the people into those bands can dig a bit deeper as I did back than but seeing how things are, I highly doubt it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I genuinely like the new album, it's really good. Didn't really like anything after their first.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're working out, throw on some Bolt Thrower and suddenly you make huge gains, it's a cool effect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

s0nar posted:

Got back from seeing Mastodon, Opeth, and Ghost.

Ghost is so far the most evil band I've seen live. Those dudes are creepy.

Opeth put on a good show and played Demon of the Fall and another really old song that escapes me.

Mastodon was also a good show. They played Blood and Thunder, so I was happy.

All in all, half an hour rock and roll Satan followed by two hours of prog-metal.

Friend of mine was as this show yesterday, he sent me some pics on the phone of Ghost. Wish I could see them here but I don't want to sit thru Opeth and Mastadon. Plus no more good seats left (I loving hate seated shows).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

m-o-o-n posted:

Speaking of complete rancid loving turds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hef-O9_Kd9s

Phil has hit the next evolution cycle of Old Redneck quite nicely, wow. Didn't even recognize him at the start until he started singing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My favorite fat metal singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41bacw2H-E

Always amazes me they have 3 vocalists who all have distinct death growls, love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great Horny Toads! posted:

I missed Forefather's latest release by a few months. I like it, as a whole, but "Shadows of the Dead" makes me mash the repeat button.

Forefather is so consistently solid -- what a great band. :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's actually a really solid album. :devil: We'll see what they do for the next but i'm down for more of the same.

The closing track, Genesis, is genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xu0S3v4xc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're just straight tripping balls, wow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fear Factory just posted this on FB.

Looking forward to seeing FF (2nd time), Voivod and Cattle Decapitation.

Speaking of, CD`s new album is REALLY loving good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Luckily the doors open at 2 and i'll probably miss em. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QPZIL posted:

I've been really getting into Alcest lately (and Neige's other stuff: Old Silver Key, Lantlôs, Amesoeurs)

Can someone suggest similar stuff?

maudlin of the well comes to mind as someone quite similar, their newest album was free too!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Maudlin_of_the_Well/16

Empyrium is good too but more on the folky side -- Songs of Moors and Misty Fields is definitely their most metal but check em all out, great stuff.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Empyrium/2345

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Huntress is alright, I saw em a couple weeks back opening for Dragonforce and Holy Grail. The music is good and most of the time her voice is nice but there is a certain range she hits, usually the shrieking that doesn't work at all. I was doing some reading yesterday on her and she used to be a MTV DJ, DJ Tuesdae and even posed for Playboy in their DJ feature. She said she was always a metal girl and wondered why she did what she did.

The sex thing is pretty blatant but it sells and has gotten them noticed. Unfortunately a lot of the metal community has jumped to hate right away. I normally don't get involved with debates over misogyny and all that but a review I read at the Metal Encyclopaedia really made me feel uncomfortable.

quote:

Ever wondered what two cats experimenting with anal sex sounds like? Then you’ve come to the right place.

Enter Huntress. This is a band that has been hyped up by Napalm Records for the past few months now, with statements like “Lead singer Jill Janus is an operatic banshee with an unparalleled four-octave range” and “The universe spread her legs and delivered Huntress”... and um, yeah. As you can see, they’re not very good at writing press releases.

Nor are the band any good at writing music. First of all, Cuntress are a female fronted band. Let me say that again - Cuntress are a female front band. No one takes female fronted bands seriously, because so far in the history of rock and metal, they have all succeeded in sucking very badly. Say what you will, I just can’t loving stand it. Either the vocalist is good and the music is crap, or the music is good and the vocals are crap. The two goods you’ll never see combined, and you certainly won’t be seeing it here.

Deep down though, a part of me was hoping that this would be at least half decent. Prior to the albums release, I listened to some live clips, and let out mighty roars of laughter. Still, it’s good to keep an open mind about music, and to give bands – no matter how retarded – a fair chance.

The music here is nothing special. It’s just your standard melo-thrash riffs which we’ve all heard eight thousand times before. The guitar riffs are similar to those one would write six months into the instrument, but refuse to use them later on anywhere, because they’re so poo poo. And normally, power metal bands will have this one lead guitar player which has spent all of his teenage years running scales and listening to Rhapsody, so he ends up being pretty beast at it. This guitar player will usually come up with some blazing guitar solos which add a dimension of “at least the leads don’t fail” to an album, but Cuntress doesn’t have that, either. The guitar solos are unimaginative, boring, and on top of all that, poorly played. Granted, I didn’t come into this album expecting Jeff Loomis type mastery, but come on.

None of the music here is memorable or remotely good. Granted, it’s not as bad as Debauchery, but that’s pretty much impossible anyway. But the thing that bugs me most about Cuntress, which I just can’t seem to shake, is that they are a manufactured band. They were put together, in pretty much the same way Nsync were. The singer Jill was a topless DJ in Manhattan and did that for many years, until she got bored of it one day, had her tits done, and decided to join a metal band, and blow her way up into getting a record deal. The other four guys, poor souls, probably thought “Hey, this could be our big break. We now have someone sucking record label executives off for us” and went along for the ride. Sorry to say it, but Jill is not the only one who sucks cock in this band. Even calling them a “band” is pretty insulting, as looking at their promo picture, all I can see are four guys dressed terribly in denim, and what seems to be a professional swimmer.

The only audience this band will find will be twelve year old boys (for the tits) and... I think that just about covers it. “Eight of Swords” huh? More like “Ate All the Cocks”. I can’t believe that I actually sat down and reviewed this before the new Cannibal Corpse or Spawn of Possession, both bands with good music played by, you know, actual musicians.

The only thing that surprised me about this album was the production and mix. These guys really did manage to polish a turd. It must have been a gruelling experience at the mixing board, but they’ve done it. Of course it sounds over produced and over polished – it has to, to mask the complete and utter musical failure they were paid to record. It’s all a copy/paste job in Pro Tools, and the singer does NOT have a four octave voice – she has auto tune, and sometimes even that fails her.

You have been warned. If you’re the type who’s stupid enough to play with raw plutonium, then you’re most probably also stupid enough to listen to this album. I give this project an overall rating of five – and that’s to the guys who drew the short straws to mix and record this thing. And they are probably on Xanax now.

Their guitarist reminds me of Liev Schreiber.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Welp, I just watched the official video for Storm Corrosion's "Drag Ropes" and I dunno if it's a combination of being tired and having had a tough week, but I got more than a little depressed by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U

This is infiently better than Heritage, holy poo poo. It's like an extension of the Damnation soft stuff. As much as I rant and rave that that was the beginning of the end of the Opeth I loved, it's miles better than anything they put out after (Ghost Reveries).

I got loving CHILLS listening to that... what the hell??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bro'est tour, staying far away from that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IRQ posted:

Holy poo poo, the new Rush cd is out in a month, how did that fall off my radar?

And tickets for their new tour went on sale this past Saturday... Hopefully some good ones left for ya (I scored row 7 at mine).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm way too short to be moshing at 5'5, but I still get in there. Most of the time tho I just get as close as possible and headbang all night. Im surprised my neck isn't crazy like Corpsegrinder. I always feel it the next day tho, where it hurts to raise le neck.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 18, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

What kind of metal do you listen to? The poo poo makes you want to go crazy, no need for drugs or pent up energy. It sounds gay but most of the stuff I listen too just unleashes something inside that no other genre can create.

Tell me this doesn't make you want to loving run around and scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkG8PRazlcs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thoughts on Voivod without Snake? The two albums without him (Negatron and Phobos) were the only thing I was able to get into. Eric Forrest was Voivod to me when I was young.

If you haven't heard that stuff, check this out. It's loving awesome and when I listen to other Voivod stuff it just seems like lovely rock and roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zB0AnMcQZQ

Love that style of animation and ... well laughable 90's CG but the poo poo was nuts back than.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sab669 posted:

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.

Go back a few pages and see us discuss "I Have A Right".

loving terrible.

Reminded me of Elvenkings "The Scythe" where they just poo poo all over the fanbase. Luckily they came back to form on the next couple albums. Will SA? Time will tell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yuuuuuuup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZxJFWtHKc

Oh and for the record, the chorus count in "I Have A Right" is 6 times in the 4 minute song. Goddamn.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've never followed this band but holy gently caress, did they think people liked Nickleback?

Let's try to cleanse some pallets and listen to this, it loving slays HARD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2IExEaaw8

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gristle Licker is my favorite track on that album, sooooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skeletonwitch announcing tour soon although I found out they will be in my city July 25th. They are headlining and touring with BarnBurner, Alphakill & Dissolution.