Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Rock > Hammerfall > Iced Earth > Edge of Sanity > Bolt Thrower > Aborted.

Amazingly enough, you dont stop listening to any of the stuff that preceded.

(Also theres a prog thread around here somewhere. Opeth chat should probably go in there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

BSchlang posted:

That thread's mostly 70s prog, and it Dream Theater gets its own thread, then so should Opeth :colbert:

Well, I love Opeth, so I'd start it if I have time. As a :spergin: though the OP probably wouldnt be complete before the album came out though.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I dont recall seeing any discussion about the new Vader album that just came out. What do you guys think of it?

I thought it was fairly average overall, probably on level with Necropolis. There are some definite stand out tracks like "I Am Who Feasts Upon Your Soul", "Come and See my Sacrifice", and the rerecording of "Decapitated Saints" is way beyond sweet.

I've kinda been stuck listening to XXV for the last few months so maybe I'm just into their old songs at the moment.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

henpod posted:

The new Devin Townsend video for Juular is...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

I've never really listened to most of Devin Townsends stuff, and I know there's a lot. Wheres a good place to start?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Wow the new Skeletonwitch album loving rules.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Rion.exe posted:

Could anyone recommend where I should start digging for getting into thrash? I've been listening to Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch

You might like to try Warbringer a try. They just released a new album.

So did Skeletonwitch actually, so its a good time to get into them.

Edit:

Misogynist posted:

Incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2umDrG4T0

How dare you not link the live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auIa_aPkn_c

Blind Guardian is one of the few bands where I would rather listen to their live albums because they are SO loving GOOD live.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 8, 2011

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I have no idea if this is where Cynic goes. But Cynic used to be metal and is still loving sweet and is releasing a new album. So far, they've released a preview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZyf9VHnME&sns=fb

and the title track off the album

http://www.season-of-mist.com/common/downloads/cynic/Cynic-Carbon-Based-Anatomy.mp3

Im liking what I hear.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

hellocruelworld posted:

There will probably a debate on how "metal" this is but if the songwriting remains this strong for the rest of the album, then who cares? I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Also Malone is on bass again so :pcgaming:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Femme by Force posted:

I listened to it earlier and was pleased with what I heard. They've taken their songwriting into a great direction. I had stopped thinking about Cynic until listening to Gorod's cover of "Textures". It's nice to know that they (Cynic) will be putting out more material.

What I like about Cynic is that no matter how much different they are now from Focus, it still sounds like Cynic.

Also I had no idea Gorod had covered Textures. This is great.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm curious as to what this'll do to Opeth's career. Heritage has recieved pretty mixed results and a lot of people aren't gonna be happy with their recent setlists. I think they've got enough of a heritage (hurrr) for it to not affect them that much...but still.

I dont think it'll have much an impact. Opeth probably wont go back to their death metal roots but I cant see them churning out luke warm prog rock for more than one more album. If they do it again, hopefully it'll be a little more refined and cohesive.

On a completely unrelated note: The new Insomnium album is absolutely loving fantastic. Definitely on par if not better than anything they've released to date in my opinion. I hope these guys stick around for a long time.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
For anyone that is a fan of Angra or Angra's singer:

Almah just released a new album. Havent had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet but its way more laid back than Fragile Equality from what I've heard, but still fantastic.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Stoo posted:

On a completely different note, holy poo poo I just heard the new Taake album. Love the banjo solo :banjo:

This is a perfect example of things that dont belong in a genre yet make the song absolutely incredible. Im listening to this and thinking to myself "Yeah this totally belongs here and isnt out of place whatsoever" except not at all sarcastic.

Also never heard of this band and I've been craving some fresh black metal so THANK YOU SIR.

On the topic of Metallicas latest 'thing'. I couldnt even make it through one song. NOPE.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Was just thinking about how goddamned good the last half of 2011 has been for metal.

New Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Iced Earth, Insomnium, Animals as Leaders and Megadeth, and Cynic albums all within the span of a few weeks? Im sure theres more that I missed, but I cannot mentally process this much amazing metal.

Speaking of the new Iced Earth, its really quite good. I havent seen it discussed yet but it sounds a hell of a lot like Demons and Wizards but without Hansi.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vintersorg posted:

You MIGHT hear one song pre-Clayman, not worth it.

And it will sound like poo poo because his voice is destroyed.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vintersorg posted:

That riff 35 seconds into the song from Illogicist is ripped straight from Death. :lol:

Hahahaha. Yeah. Thats definitely ripped straight from Without Judgement.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Ive been blasting some good death metal tapes lately and most recently the new Vallenfyre album. Im in the mood for some more stuff with that sick chainsaw guitar tone like you hear in Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. Any suggestions?

Some goon many pages ago posted his band "Cult of Endtime" which also has this guitar tone and I loving love it. poo poo owns for lifting weights.

Preferably in the same style, tempo, etc. but im not picky.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 12, 2011

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Bushmeister posted:

Bands like Infernal Revulsion, Isacaarum, God Amongst Insects, Paganizer, Vomitory, Helcaraxë and Skinless come to mind.

Gr31lly posted:

Nope. Not yet.

Literally any Swedish death metal band between 1990 and 1995? Both of those bands are just ripping off/paying tribute to the old swedish sound. If you would rather listen to newer bands instead of Dismember, (early) Unleashed, Nihilist/Entombed, Grave (demo version of into the grave here for anyone who hasn't heard it - shits all over the album version) and the countless others out there (eg. Traumatic, Edge of Sanity, Bloodstone, Gorement, Nirvana 2002.... it is an almost endless list.)

If you must listen to newer bands, then the likes of Repugnant, Death Breath, Miasmal, Morbus Chron will appeal. Hell there's even now plenty of reformed bands floating about - Interment stand out there.

I'm totally serious about the first bit though, just about any band worth a poo poo from sweden playing death metal in the early 90s sounds exactly like bloodbath, except they're usually about 10x better.

Awesome, thanks to both of you, all of this poo poo rules. I already loved Edge of Sanity though, if I ever see a Crimson III my head would probably explode.

I knew that Bloodbath is a tribute to the old school death sound so, I just kinda used them as a reference point. My exposure to older swedish death is extremely small, so I really just had no idea who the gently caress to look for.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Incidentally, Augury is loving incredible.

Never heard these guys before but goddamn :pcgaming:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Try Atheist and Cynic. Cynic is fronted by Paul Masvidal, who did most of my favorite Death solos.

With Cynic only Focus is really anything at all like Death.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I would have to say that my top albums from the year are, in no particular order,

Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Insomnium - One for Sorrow
Ouroboros - Glorification of a Myth
Obscura - Omnivium

I like death metal :frog:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
A+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svV9usWliLk

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Capitulator posted:

Any decent thrash albums that I may have missed this year?

Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination is black thrash.
Vektor - Outer Isolation.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vintersorg posted:

Eh, the original is perfection -- this cover was unneeded.

Yeah it would be impossible to top the original, especially with Chucks vocals, but I love seeing bands take GOOD stabs at old masterpieces. They've also covered How Could I? and I cant wait to hear that one. I am totally okay with my favorite bands covering other favorite bands.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

No Alberta show... Behemoth why must you scorn me so, I thought we were bros

:negative:

Fake edit: Looks like im holding hands with Nergal

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

QPZIL posted:

When I was in fourth grade, my family hosted an exchange student from Germany, and he brought the Nightfall in Middle Earth album with him.

I listened to the title track over and over again on repeat for weeks :3:

That man changed your life.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Wow, Woods 5 from Woods of Ypres owns real loving hard. Makes me sad that we won't be seeing Woods 6 or 7.

Listen to this, listen to how hard this owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vintersorg posted:

This entire album is so loving good, love it.

I dont regret much, but skipping the last Woods of Ypres show in Calgary is one of those regrets.

I want to recommend this band to non metal listening friends, but I honestly have no idea how to even describe it.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Sweetling posted:

What are a couple of really good online metal stations? I think metal's my #2 genre. Reggae probably first coz really, you can't top reggae.

Death.fm is pretty awesome like 90% of the time.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Also Quo Vadis from Quebec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t88H8B7amYM&feature=related

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Weaponized Cum posted:

The new Spawn of Possession album is the most beautiful brutal thing I've heard in a while. Everything is on point, the guitars are crisp, the drums are triggered but they don't sound like a Krisiun off-shot, PINCH HARMONICS UP THE rear end.

Get it.

Holy gently caress. This is fuckin sick.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

thepitgoddess posted:

Just saw this today too- the website is totally cheap looking, I hope this is a real thing. And I hope I can go and I hope I can afford it, OH GOD, CONTINGENCIES!
e- I will totally be at the Orlando date if this is legitttt.

It seems like someone tries to do this every few years and nothing ever comes of it, so I really want this to happen (and I'm glad Kam Lee is not involved).

Eric Grief, the manager for Death since forever, posted this on Death's facebook page himself and said that he will on for the whole tour, so yes I imagine this is definitely 100% happening if the musicians dont back out.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I swear to loving god if this Wintersun album doesnt make me literally drown in a sea of my own poo poo upon first listening I will probably just kill myself out of frustration/severe depression.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

I was a bit surprised nobody mentioned Amon Amarth, but reading the last couple pages here I'd guess maybe they've gotten too "polished" for a lot of the posters here. I loving love them to bits though, Twilight of the Thunder God is one of the best albums I've heard in a goddamn lot of years.

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Misogynist posted:

Did I just hear the line "I'm losing my insanity" in that teaser?

This poo poo is approaching Dan Swano-bad.

Dan Swano rules :frogout:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Misogynist posted:

Dan "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SKY TONIGHT" Swano

Are we really complaining about lyrics in metal songs :regd09:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Bloodbath are poo poo anyway. A band that formed to "bring back oldschool death metal" and thus whose existence was rendered completely redundant by the fact Repugnant and Kaamos amongst countless others already existed and released better material.

Oh wow I've never heard of Kaamos before but this is some loving really cool poo poo.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Oh boy here we go

First single off Sonata Arctica's new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc2upc_erQ

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I am positively excited to see how bad the rest of the album is if that's the song they used for their video and single. :allears:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Im not sure how much of these songs has been already spread around, but for anyone curious to hear more of the album and how NOT GREAT it is, this guy has a bunch of 1:30 second clips uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/user/edselom

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Valk posted:

EDIT: Also, best Insomnium album, go!

They're all good, Across the Dark is my favorite, but their most recent is their weakest, in my opinion. Seriously though, all of their albums are worth listening to if you like Melodic Death Metal. They pretty much picked up where In Flames left off in 2000.

Also if you want more melodeath check out The Absence, Amon Amarth, Be'lakor, Ensiferum (Iron)

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Taco_Fury posted:

Hell yeah on the Be'Lakor, pretty criminally underrated. As far as melodeath goes, Carcass' Heartwork is pretty mandatory. Definitely up there with Slaughter of the Soul as far as all the classics go. But it's a pretty big departure from Carcass' other work (not that any of their other albums sound similiar).

And I love Trevor Strnad, I don't get the hate.

Belakors new tape is sounds like its gonna be pretty wild if you haven't had a chance to listen yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPHJycgRLN8