Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Yaku posted:

Any good folk metal recommendations? I prefer to listen to female fronted folk metal but I'm fine with either as long as it's good. :v:

I mainly listen to Arkona, if that helps any.

Just listen to Moonsorrow. Who needs anything else?

The new Falkenbach, Tiurida, is also excellent. Here's an album preview thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

Yeah same here. My Last 12 Months chart is pretty different from my Overall chart. Gonna post anyway though because I may have claim to the worst overall chart of any poster in the thread. This is since March of 2005.

Anyway I saw Kamelot in Toronto last night. Anyone who is wondering about how they are with Fabio probably won't be disappointed, he fits great with the band.

Also based on the interaction he had with the crowd before their set started, I think the Alestorm frontman might be a little weirded out by the band's fanbase.

Mine is far, far worse, which is why I am not posting it. :) This thread saved me from Bad Metal, though (well, a previous incarnation of this thread did, many moons ago).

At least Moonsorrow is my #1 most listened band, by a good margin.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of WITTR-style black metal, I was reading up on the Canadian prog band Fen and I happened upon a cute little album called The Malediction Fields by another band of the same name. Here's the opening track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BpEMKGPSQ

I haven't listened to BM in a long time, so I'm not the best guy to draw comparisons, but it sounds like equal parts WITTR, Alcest, and Agalloch. I'm mighty impressed.

Fen are great. They play London fairly regularly and are a nice bunch. (I had a really interesting chat with lead singer Frank about the ethics of listening to morally dubious bands at a beer festival once, but that's another story.)

Their new album Epoch is very good too. Has a definite 70s vibe to it but is also black metal enough to keep me happy.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

I am massively late on this, but I've just been reminded of the existence of the fabulous Geïst (a.k.a. Eïs) and their amazing album Galeere, which has some barnstorming songs on it, my favourite being "Unter Toten Kapitänen".

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

If anyone is heading to see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou tomorrow in Rhode Island and you see a guy in a Absu shirt that's me, come and say hi!

...will you be wearing the obligatory Opeth wristband too?

Female-fronted black metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIY7NvhynE
Darkestrah - Cult Tengri

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, totally going to this.

The UK is getting Kvelertak and Toxic Holocaust in November, which is almost as good a line-up :)

I'm still annoyed that I missed Skeletonwitch at Bloodstock due to being an hour into the shower queue. Grr.

Also, if anyone's seen The Troll Hunter, the end credits have a Kvelertak song ("Mjød") playing over them, which I thought was quite cool. The film itself was also very enjoyable.

Edit:
The Mayhems - Surfin' Moon
The Emperors - I Am The Surf Wizards
Who knew surf rock covers of black metal was a thing?

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 14, 2011

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What bands should I look into if my favorite band is Sigh and lately I've been listening to Summoning, Aes Dana, Kataxu, Morker and Agalloch.

Because conventional wisdom says these are all black metal bands, but I tend to not like 99% of black metal people recommend me.

Maybe Lunar Aurora? I adore their Andacht album.

Agalloch-related recs: The aforementioned Petrychor, in fact everything lordblytzkrieg mentioned, also Oskoreien, Crom Dubh, Enmerkar, Gallowbraid, Nechochwen, October Falls, Skagos, Valdur. Oh, and White Tomb by Altar of Plagues.

And if anyone can recommend me more bands like the ones I've just listed, I'd be in your debt.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MrBling posted:

I don't think you understand. All the patches on this vest are for rap/r&b stuff yes but they're all based on metal/punk band logos.

We know that it is Jodeci, we're just trying to find out which band they got that logo from. Because it looks so very familiar.

Also, as a rule r&b bands dont feature inverted crosses in their logo.

Has a bit of a Nifelheim vibe going on to me?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Thanks for the BDM advice, all. I don't think they're my type of band, based on a quick YouTubing, but if they're as good live as you say they are it won't be too horrible, at least.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Early heads-up for Londoners: Agalloch are playing the Underworld on 11th April next year. It's going to sell out (if last time is anything to go by) so get your tickets soon. It's their only UK date, too :(
http://www.last.fm/event/2071749+Agalloch+at+The+Underworld+on+11+April+2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Got mine. Any goons also heading along? I don't know if my Scottish mates will make it down.

Plus £16 is a steal.

Got my ticket, too, and I imagine that most of my London metal friends will be going, too. Let me know closer to time if you want a gig buddy or 10.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MoreMetalBrian posted:

So I've been away for a while, and upon coming back to the East Coast, I read an article (or a brief mention) that Wolves in the Throne Room "call it quits".

Link for reference :
http://www.terrorizermagazine.bigcartel.com/product/terrorizer-214-opeth-mastodon-wolves-in-the-throne-room-sick-sounds-8-with-evile

Did they actually disband?

Think this has been addressed already in this thread (or maybe in the black metal one? Eh) but from what I gather, the recording entity known as WITTR will cease to exist after this tour (they're playing London next Friday - holy heck, last chance ever to see them?!), but the individual members of the band will carry on recording music in other forms. The idea is that they've completed the 'trilogy' of albums that began with Two Hunters, as Celestial Lineage is kind of a fulfilment of TH.

It's sad but I guess it fits in with their ideology - organic things eventually die, that kind of thing. I'll miss them, though.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

MERCHCHAT

Went to see Insomnium the other day. It was the only UK date of their European tour (I think) so they had done that AWFUL AWFUL thing of crossing out the € signs, and replacing them with £ signs. This really fucks me off - and there is no way I would pay £20 for a t-shirt. Haha what.

Buying girly t-shirts is always a bit of a crapshoot which is why I prefer to buy them at gigs, when you can at least hold them up and see how long they are. I mean, I bought a Moonsorrow girly tee online, and it stops just above my belly button, so I always have to wear a vest underneath, which is kind of a pain. But my Kampfar tee (with tasteful backprint) is nice and long, so I wear it all the time.

My bf has a Sólstafir t-shirt with the backprint "Anti-Christian Icelandic Heathen Bastards" which is fine for shows, less so for walking around town :) it's slightly more tasteful than his Benediction shirt, which has "THEY MUST DIE SCREAMING" in bloody red letters across the back. He's usually too embarrassed to wear that one.

On a kind of related note, Bolt Thrower have announced a 25th anniversary special show in April next year. I'm totally going, as even though I don't listen to them that much, they put on an amazing show. Early heads up to Londoners to get tickets as soon as, since I am willing to bet it sells out.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Concatenation posted:

Wellp, looks like I might be getting an interview with Dave of Anaal Nathrakh (also Benediction and Mistress) after all. Anyone have any questions for him? I'm like a nervous schoolgirl now :dance:

He's a nice bloke, don't be nervous! Ask him what his favourite type of curry is.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

So after seeing the lineup for Hellfest, my boyfriend and I have decided that we just HAVE to go (Darkspace are definitely on my bucket list of 'bands to see before I die'. Not to mention Arcturus, and a million other amazing bands).

Any goons been before? Any advice/warnings to offer? And what's the best way of getting to Clisson from London? We were thinking of getting the coach as my beloved is a bad flyer, and this way we don't have to worry about baggage limits etc. But if there's a better way, please let me know :)

e: sp

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 26, 2011

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

It's a concert, go and have fun. You don't need a manual to attend social events. :p

Er, I was thinking more stuff like "the toilets are poo poo, be prepared", "there's always massive queues for the bars", "the site is huge so try and camp in X sector as it's close to the arena" and stuff like that. I went to my first festival in 2000, and go to one every year so don't need any tips on how to prepare for/have fun at one, but would appreciate Hellfest-specific info, as I haven't been before. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The Orange Goblin posted:

Me and a mate have done Hellfest in 2009 and 2011 - phenomenal festival! Camping is all within a 10 or less walk of the main arena and the toilets are OK as long as you use them early on in the day...Normally we've done holidays prior to the festival then a train from Paris but I imagine a great way of doing it is Eurostar from London - change in Paris then the 3 hour train - also a supermarket within 15 minutes for cheap beer

Thanks for the reassurance :) Yeah, I think Eurostar could be the way to go - I love French trains. Thanks for the toilet warning, too - I've heard they're not great. :/ I mean, I've survived Reading - how bad can they be, in comparison? (I'm a lot older and fussier now, though!)

thepitgoddess posted:

I was at hellfest this year, but I was with a band, so my experience is a little different.

If you can get to the Clisson airport, there's a shuttle from clisson to hellfest that's like 10 eur a person. :)

Advice: have a blast. Warnings: it rained the whole time, so waterproof the tent, bring some plastic to lay down and warm clothes.

I spent a year living in Brittany - the weather was pretty bad, now you come to mention it... I've been incredibly lucky and never been to a really rainy festival - Leeds in 2002 and Bloodstock in 2010 were damp, but not that bad - relentless rain must be soul-sapping. I'll prepare accordingly. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Just remembered that Revolver magazine named Korn's "dubstep" album their best record of the year.

I will never stop laughing at this

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

McPantserton posted:

I'm a bit worried I'll be made fun of because I'm a fake hipster or whatever but I need new music recommendations so here goes. My current favorite bands are ISIS, Agalloch, Fen, and 40 Watt Sun and I really need some new stuff to go to. Any recommendations?

Waldgeflüster and Oskoreien should help out with your Fen/Agalloch cravings. Nechochwen and Drudkh (Autumn Aurora in particular) and Gallowbraid will also probably float your boat. (Gonna check out The Morningside, thanks for the suggestion Drifter287!)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

As it's almost the end of the year - what were your top albums?

Here's my list, for what it's worth:
Oskoreien - Oskoreien
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Altar of Plagues - Mammal
Falkenbach - Tiurida
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Fen - Epoch
Eïs - Kainsmal
Waldgeflüster - Femundsmarka
Petrychor - Effigies and Epitaphs

(Not in any real order. But the Oskoreien album is probably the one I've listened to most.)

Moonsorrow is my favourite band, but VKKM - while a good album - was nowhere near Hävitetty for me. So it makes the list, but wasn't a clear standout "album of the year" type deal, which I would have predicted before it was released. I mean, I listen to it a fair amount, but I would much, much rather listen to Hävitetty or Verisäkeet.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

RIP David "Ypres" Gold :(

Really sucky end to the year. I only recently got into Woods of Ypres, but I really like them. They were (are?) due to release a new album next year, too.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Spergio Leone posted:

How'd he die? I find WoY boring but it sucks when people go when young. Going by his tweets that someone linked he wasn't entirely in high spirits.

Car accident.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Turk February posted:

This loving rules. Thanks for that.

I got a chance to listen to the new Aborted album, and it is really good. It is leaps and bounds better than "Strychnine.213" and "Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture". It's much more melodic than their previous albums, but the formula works incredibly well.

Also, it looks like fellow goon and owner of Metal Blast is going to get the chance to interview Mark "Barney" Greenway of Napalm Death on Saturday! This is a huge get for us, and I was wondering if anybody had any questions for him.

Ask Barney what he thinks of the current UK government.

I saw Napalm Death before Christmas, and god drat they were good. Barney bounces around like someone with a direct jack into the mains electricity. I don't even like grindcore, but I'll always go and see ND.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

BSchlang posted:

Give Slayer another chance; they've got plenty of songs that aren't anti-Christian. Tom Araya (vocalist/bassist for Slayer) is actually a practicing Catholic, and Silent Scream is about as pro-life as a metal song can be (and as metal as a pro-life song can be).

Oh FFS. I hadn't heard/heard of this song before, but seriously, Slayer can gently caress off, having read the lyrics. The person carrying the foetus is completely erased. Ugh.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Hey London (UK) people, ATP is putting on a festival in May, and the metal day (Friday 25 May) has Slayer playing "Reign in Blood", WITTR, YOB, Melvins, and Sleep. With a few more bands TBA.

I don't really like Slayer, but the rest of the bill looks pretty good.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, I was kind of surprised when it turned out to be Aesop. Not just because he's still so new it is weird to think of him speaking for Agalloch, but because his blog tends to be more dick jokes and straightforward music production discussion. My money was on Don when I read that, because it sounded like a Sculptured sort of thing.

I spoke to Aesop about it over Twitter, and he didn't know he was even being quoted. He was surprised when he saw words from what he thought was a private email appearing on Gawker.

Aesop Dekker posted:

Gawker is sleazy, I had no idea I was contributing and I don't have a publicist.

E: Oh poo poo, new page. Here, have some Addaura, especially recommended for fans of Wolfshirts in the Dorm Room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIowowGva6s

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 12, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

For "metal out of nowhere!", what comes to mind for me is the bit in In The Loop where Toby goes to the death metal club with Anna (I think her name is Anna? [edit: the actress's name is Anna, oops, the character is Liza]), and bam, Cannabis Corpse live set out of nowhere. I loved that bit and wish I'd asked the band about it when I saw them last year.

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 25, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Stoo posted:

Looks like Varg has been taking some time off from music to go LARPing or some poo poo.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/gallery11.php

Bahahahahahahaha I'm dying. WHO'S THAT HIDING IN THE BUSHES??

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Martout posted:

While I definitely don't like either of those bands they aren't as obnoxiously bad as Trivium or WT. WT is just poor mans Nightwish and I don't even know what the gently caress to call Trivium because nothing I can think of is bad enough.

Finally seeing Gojira live will easily be worth drinking beer and making fun of some awful gigs while waiting though. Last year I was laughing my rear end off at Cradle of Filth while waiting for Meshuggah and it was all good fun!

edit: honestly Cradle of Filth live is loving hilarious, you just sort of stand there wondering why no one is intervening and whatever happened to civil courage and then the band playing at a nearby stage starts soundchecking really loud and for a very long time in the middle of songs on purpose.

At Bloodstock in 2009, CoF were headlining, and someone in the crowd threw a gobstopper at the stage. It hit guitarist Paul Allender with enough force that he had to go to hospital.

We renamed gobstoppers "gothstoppers" after that - although I don't think throwing stuff at bands is ever justifiable.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

So basically I just fell in love with a band I will realistically never see live. Fantastic.

I saw them on Saturday at Boltfest, a one-off 25th anniversary show they did, and they were basically incredible. Sorry. They rarely play live even in the UK - seems like it's a gig every couple of years or so. I'd suggest moving here if you want to see them, and buying tickets as soon as you can (Boltfest sold out super fast). There were tons of people from all over the place there on Saturday - we spoke to fans from Germany, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Italy. It was eye-opening.

Speaking of bands who rarely tour, I'm really looking forward to seeing Agalloch on Wednesday. I'll bear criticisms ITT in mind, but I still think it's going to be great. And Fen are opening, too, which will be fab, because even though I've seen them a dozen times they just get better and better.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

Boltfest was responsible for some of the worst hangovers known to man. Well since Mortuary Drape last year anyway...

Haha, I got all my drinking done early on, so I wasn't too pished by the end. Getting a chip butty on the way home was a good idea too. But yeah, seems most people started at lunchtime (like we did) then drank in the queue, then all the way through the gig - all six hours of it. Gotta love life in Binge-Drinking Britain.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

I'd never listened to Darkthrone before. Just fixed that, they are awesome! The whole death&roll style of their newer material kind of reminds me of Entombed, and the straight up death metal of their early work is great too. I'm a new fan.

Working my way through all the bands listed. Digging Thorns,Glorior Belli Oranssi Pazuzu so far.

It's been at least… a few months since I last recommended Moonsorrow, so, er, Moonsorrow. The albums V: Hävitetty and Verisäkeet mix up black metal with folk, "heathen" (however you want to define that), and prog. Two of my favourite ever albums.

Still considering that Moonsorrow tattoo. Tell me it's a bad idea, people.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I've got a motorhead tattoo, but motorhead is an institution. In 10 years, moonsorrow's gone, you never know what the members will get themselves into. "Yeah I got this tattoo before the bassist went to jail for pedophilia, and before their last singer took up smack and got a sex change". Or they just put out 6 poo poo albums in a row and you end up hating them.

I really wouldn't give a poo poo if Ville got "a sex change" - why would that be a bad thing? Seriously? You'd put it on the same level as a paedophilia conviction?

But: thread consensus noted - a Moonsorrow tattoo is a bad idea. Which I knew, anyway, but needed the reinforcement, so - thanks. :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

No, you put it on par with pedophilia. I said it was something that could come up when someone sees you with it, because you seem to care what people think of the idea.

You mentioned a "sex change" as an off-the-top-of-your-head "bad thing", alongside paedophilia (and drug addiction). Your implication is clearly that I'd regret inking myself with the band logo if and when the lead singer got a "sex change". I really wouldn't give a poo poo, as it happens.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

vanov posted:

I always assumed the rule that applied to not having your girlfriend in your music videos applied to band tattoos also: that it's trite and always a bad idea in hindsight. Off the top of your head, EvilMoJoJoJo (boy I bet you regret that decision), name five bands with members who have their band's name tattooed on themselves.

Hoest has a Taake tattoo IIRC, singer from Kampfar has a giant band logo across his stomach, er, pass.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I saw some terrible and boring melodeath band whose lead singer had an Opeth shoulder tattoo. Way to wear your influences on your sleeve, I guess...

IRQ: If he does, that's pretty hilarious.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

A friend pointed me towards French band The Great Old Ones, and from the samples on their Bandcamp, I think I'm in love. They're somewhere between spacey French black metal, and funeral doom.

Oh, and Roadrunner UK/Canada is shutting down, with massive cuts to other offices (Germany etc). Bad news for Opeth and Mastodon, I guess.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Turisas and Finntroll both just started working on their new albums. Apparently, Moonsorrow will have something out, this year, as well. Meadbangers rejoice?

New Moonsorrow?! Do you have a source? I'd guess it's either a DVD (they've dropped heavy hints in the past) or an EP or something - I can't see them releasing another album so soon after VKKM. And "meadbangers" - eh, the early stuff, sure. :) Not so much these days.

Morbid Florist posted:

People are taking this Huntress review way too seriously. Relax and revel in immaturity, it's fun sometimes.

Immaturity is one thing. Full-on hatred is another. That review really, really crossed the line for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

In YOSPOS we are using this site to share music (called turntable.fm).

So I thought the metal thread could come kick it and share their music. Just go to the Something Awful Metal room and sign in with twitter or facebook (it takes less time to make a throwaway twitter than it takes for you to bitch about it), queue up some lovely music, and get a live coder-jukebox.

Lurkers and neckbeards welcome, but try not to get butthurt if your 'totally hilarious ska parody song' gets skipped.

It's US-only :cry: