Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

First Fragment blew everyone's nips off at Milk Boy in Philly last night. I missed the first opener but caught all of Invicta's set. Their recorded stuff never blew me away, but goddamn did they put on a fantastic live show. Super goofy and good-natured and just overall great vibes. Definitely one to see if you get a chance, dudes have a ton of fun on stage.

FF did an awesome set with a nice mix of old and new stuff and even finished things off with a track from their first ep, which was a cool surprise. Got to chat with the band afterwards (including my bass hero, Dominic, who told me that the 45-minute set they played took six months of daily two-hour practice sessions to nail down, jfc) and everyone was super kind and appreciative and just generally wholesome in that ubiquitously Canadian way. They also confirmed that they're hitting the studio soon to record some new material. I'm officially stoked.

Potato phone photo for posterity:

Tiny venues are the best venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

My one track on Spotify just went live a week or so ago and I had the option to send a thank you message to my zero listeners

Post that poo poo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I don't Spotify but my local media player tells me my top artists were First Fragment, Allegaeon, Nuclear Power Trio, Steely Dan, Stortregn, Avishai Cohen, and some goofy power metal poo poo that I only listen to when I shower or cook.

Also Horrendous is coming to town in like six weeks and I'm gonna miss it because I'll be out of the country.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i feel like you have to just hate fun in principle to not enjoy a dragonforce show.

I saw them in the early 2000's at a festival and they were so drunk and sloppy it was embarrassing. They're not really my jam regardless, but I'm happy to hear that they got their poo poo together because what I saw was legit horrifying.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I obviously feel for the family, but this comes across as incredibly passive aggressive and entitled. Maybe it's just me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I will never not listen to this. Peak Internet 1.0

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Djent > Slam... Just saying.

Djent = Slam = Boring. Tech > All.

Play more/better notes, nerds.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

not trolled not crying posted:

I've been hyping Moonlight Sorcery to everyone ever since I heard about them. The new album is so goddamn fun to listen to, it's like Bodom meets power metal meets late 90's black metal. The previous two EP's have a more raw production but they are great as well.

Pretty sure you recommended it to me a couple pages back and now is as good a time as any to thank you, I've been bumping this poo poo for a while now and it really ticks all my Finnish metal boxes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol listening to the Lunar Chamber EP from this year and realising it's like only 3 minutes shorter than Bleed the Future

Holy gently caress this loving slaps. Easily the growliest bass tone of the year, holy poo poo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

is infant annihilator slam I heard some of their stuff it was ok

Everyone says they're deathcore/tech deathcore but tbh if you're into slammy riffs they'll probably still do it for you.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

Devil's Reef, melodic techdeath
Sublation, tech death

Melo/tech fans take note, these albums loving rip. I'm also enjoying the Slow album despite basically never loving with funeral doom, the mix and instrumentation are just really doing it for me right now.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dead Goon posted:

I never really got into Sepultura, just never did anything for me.

Same. I could never get past the bad production (still some of the worst guitar sounds ever recorded imo) and dull compositions.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Given how many metal goons play instruments and how easy it is to make slam, would anyone have any interest in a slam collab on kompoz or something? Might be fun.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ultraviolence123 posted:

Making Slam is easy, making good Slam is actually really difficult. I've been working on my stuff for a long time, the only thing I am truly happy with are my vocals. Writing music is hard.

I never said we should make good slam. No worries, we can fix our shortcomings with extra vocalists. Also I'm in for bass and/or guitar, forgot to mention.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

post your stuff

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

stab posted:

yes but have you guys come up with the most important part of a slam band? the offensive name?

poo poo like Lowtax's Bullet

Tbh I think Vilerat is a pretty perfect name, but I'm also gonna nominate Orphans of Kyanka and Shmorky's Shame just to be safe. Maybe Fecal Lasagna as a fun throwback?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

stab posted:

DECRANIAL KYANKAFICATION

:swoon:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

friends i need some help: I saw this meme, can anyone identify the bands I circled in yellow?

Usnea, Forn, Body Void, Dragged Into Sunlight, something that looks Hebrew, and another one that I can't read because you covered it in a yellow circle and the image is like seven total pixels

EFB and I missed the dupe

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kaiho posted:

Bought myself a decent set of speakers and am looking for records with good (not Transilvanian Hunger) production to test them out.

Edit: VVVVVV why not go whole hog on Det som engang var. I guess I'm after something with dynamics and clarity of different tracks

With apologies to your neighbors:

https://youtu.be/JmajFz_dRyQ

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

henpod posted:

They seem to be going back to their Clayman sound which is awesome

Thread title plz

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So I'm just listening to the Halo Effect for the first time and holy poo poo is it ever taking me right back to high school when the only music I had in my car was a cassette tape with Colony on one side and Tokyo Showdown on the other. Weapons-grade nostalgia right there, goddamn.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Stortregn - Finitude
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
Nuclear Power Trio - Wet rear end Plutonium
Xoth - Exogalactic
Moonlight Sorcery - Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle

Really wanted to like the new Kalmah and Scar Symmetry but ended up bouncing off of them. Didn't bother checking out the new In Flames or Insomnium because I lost interest in both bands ages ago but I heard that both albums are a nice return to form. Stortregn is probably my AotY even though the Horrendous album is a more impressive effort overall.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 21, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

gently caress me, that Gorod slipped right under my radar. I know what I’m listening to tonight. Thanks thread!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Also the thread leans more toward traditional death and black than melodic/progressive IMO, might have something to do with it.

Anyway, "Ghost of Perdition" was my partner's gateway to metal and now we listen to some truly wild poo poo together, thanks Mikael!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There’s also a song called Stand Against the World, and between that and the Amid Evil DLC, it was a good year to get into Jojo.

Don't sleep on Colony Drop, thread. I'm not a crossover thrash OR Gundam fan and this poo poo slaps.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm out of the loop, what happened to Mikael?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

These popped up for me and they seem pretty solid:

Chaos Sanctuary - Tech
Stiriah - Meloblack

Definitely a slower week for metal.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 29, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Issaries posted:

Dominum - Hey Living People (Power Metal)
Song: Hey Living People

Panic! At the Slipknot's Gloryhammer

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

thought i missed a new portal album and got excited but it's an album called portal by a band called stiriah

My bad, fixed. Also I'm old af so I always think of the Cynic offshoot when somebody mentions Portal and habitually forget that there's an Aussie band with the same name.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

stab posted:

Arch Enemy

Have they done anything interesting since Burning Bridges? I bounced off Wages of Sin HARD.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Issaries posted:

Current Arch Enemy is completely unrecognizable if your only knowledge of the band is those older albums.

New(ish) singers growls are easy to understand, there's occasional clean vocals, guitars have gone melodic and there's actual guitar solos.
I have seen them on festivals and they're fun live band though, but completely different than before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF1rmSV1dM

Wow, that's pretty wild. Definitely felt a little flat to me instrumentally, but I like the new vocalist more than Angela. Also you lled me down a rabbit hole and I learned that the OG lineup got back together and called themselves Black Earth, continuing the In Flames trend of all my favorite high school bands getting back together with their original members. If I can get a Soilwork album with The Chainheart Machine's lineup I will be the happiest person in the world.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Someone please form an egyptian sex metal band named Coptic Nut.

I am in musical output mode right now, don't threaten me with a good time.

Also here's some poo poo that slipped under my radar in 2023 for all my tech-inclined friends:

Gridlink - Coronet Jupiter - Techgrind(?)
Gorod - The Orb - Tech
Demon King - Vesania - Blackened melotech(?)
Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility - Neoclassical Tech
Dyssebeia - Garden of Stillborn Idols - Progressive Melodic Tech
Flub - Dream Worlds - Neoclassical Tech

I loving love all of y'all, Metal Thread. May your new years be filled with blastbeats, gutturals, and sweep arpeggios.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 2, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Count Thrashula posted:

That's Grindcore House in Philly, they have great coffee

Yo wtf when did this open up, I lived in West Philly for like 4 years and never saw it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Count Thrashula posted:

13 years ago my friend

My shame is immeasurable and my remorse knows no bounds.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I'm the guy posted up on the balcony rail with my ear plugs in at the latest Death Metal show.

Me too but also I play the ADA card so I usually get a chair/stool (which tbh is a win for everyone because I'm like 6'3"). Hooray for not aging out of death metal.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Bolt Thrower boys infamously bonked a few Nazis with a baseball bat at one of their shows. There's a great interview floating around somewhere about it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

GWAR’s appeal transcends genre. I went to high school with two dudes who dressed like Eminem and listened exclusively to hip hop, but they’d literally drop everything and cross two state lines on a school night to get sprayed with fake blood and ejaculate at a GWAR show.

GWAR did a Tiny Desk Concert, for gently caress’s sake.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vargatron posted:

This track has a real King Diamond/Mercyful Fate vibe to the first minute that I really enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phaot-ILwVE

I think the twin lead guitar just does it for me. I've listened to this album a few times and a lot of the solo work reminds me of 80s Vinnie Moore style guitar work.

The harmonized lead sound is so buttery in the most 80’s way possible and I love it. I took a minute to warm up to the cleanish vocals but now I’m super into the theatricality of it all. Great album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time II is just a rerelease of Time I with 400% more “fade in: an ancient enchanted forest” synth interludes and all the guitar solos removed.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and this one will have audible bass lol