Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Really love the new Symphony X album. Really good from the first listen.

Enh, I liked them better when they were Symphony Little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MrBling posted:

Doing a lol at the Party Cannon logo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In a genre where a distressing percentage of bands are Literal Actual Nazis, if you find one you like and the worst you have to deal with is "No gently caress YOU Dad" style anarchism you should probably count your blessings.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8lhsKnc9E&hd=1

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

funeral fag posted:

Can't wait for the vice article about Phil Anselmo's mondo problematic antics, personally

I'm actually pretty okay with people being upset about a prominent metal singer being a white supremacist, but maybe I'm just a ~PC SJW wuss~

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

What bands did you guys discover based exclusively on the logo/cover art?

For me it was Iron Maiden.

in 2003 I was buying a gift for a friend of mine on Amazon and the "People who bought this also bought" thing popped up the cover to "Power of the Dragonflame". I think I said something along the lines of "hahahahahaha holy poo poo" while hammering the "Add To Cart" button

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Metal hasn't even made significant headway on it's problem with loving nazis, so I wouldn't hold my breath about it's problems with sexism going away

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't know. How many?

Too many.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, lol at people trying to claim that Nazism isn't a problem in a genre where NSBM is common enough to have it's own category.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Mhm, remember when Skrewdriver was as successful as Metallica in the U.S. or Nightwish in Europe?

Phil has a larger audience and is getting rightfully slammed. You can create whatever obscure subgenre you want until there's a law against Nazis picking up guitars altogether.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about how NS hiphop and NS trance and NS dubstep are all accepted categories listed on fan websites for those genres. Yeah, it's only obscure subgenres, metal definitely doesn't have a nazi problem.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

:same:

Nazi punk doesn't exist and you shouldn't bother asking the industrial thread about neofolk because that doesn't exist either. There's nothing anyone can do (or needs to do) about racists with home studios.

Vulture Culture posted:

Nazi punk is one thing, but martial industrial and neofolk, despite being scenes with relatively large numbers of Nazi activists and sympathizers, aren't literally labeled "NS martial industrial" and "NS neofolk" in album bins the way that we talk about NSBM. It indicates a completely different level of indifference towards the ideology.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

How does one take a ghost bath, anyway?

Fill your tub with whiskey, you'll be awash with spirits

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

An academic investigation of black metal written by Hunter Hearst Helmsley would be better than whatever this is.

It would just be 20 pages on why none of it was as good as Lemmy

So yes, I agree

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/metallica-announce-new-double-album-hardwiredto-self-destruct/

:lol:

Can't wait to listen to the new Darkthrone when home when I can actually pay attention.

What the gently caress does "Riff Origins" mean

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

H13 posted:

Something interesting that I've found about metal fans (that I'm guilty of too) is that for some bands, if they don't change things up, they get ridiculed for being the same and doing the same thing over and over again (Slayer, Maiden song-title choruses). But there are other bands where if they changed ANYTHING about what they do, people lose their loving minds (Opeth).

It's almost as though there are different groups of fans that like and care about different things

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

but I can't argue with other people's taste.

I think if there's one thing this thread demonstrates it's that you absolutely can

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

Unfortunately bands like Gloryhammer are trying to make ironic power metal a thing, demonstrating a massive misunderstanding of the point of power metal

Remember when people thought Andrew WK was being ironic, and then it turned out that, no, he's really like that all the time?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Songs for this debate?

Link to Seth Putnam's discography and call it a night

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

basic hitler posted:

Lars is the only famous drummer that makes drumming look hard. He is really working at it in that video, for very little payoff.

To be fair in half of that video he's making walking and standing upright look hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Cliff was the one who was an actual music nerd; I wouldn't have been surprised to see his career look kind of like Marty Friedman's