Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Running Wild released The Privateer in 1994 and there was really nowhere for pirate metal to go but down after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I'm a little surprised that nobody is mentioning Origin's Entity, which is probably the only 2011 release I consistently go back to (I guess Symphony X was pretty good too). Sure, they didn't develop their sound much over Antithesis, but it's infinitely more enjoyable than the majority of technical death metal out there.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Turk February posted:

I'm pretty sure I listed this earlier (if not then I'm an idiot), but yeah, it was an incredible album, especially it was only recorded with Paul Ryan, Mike Flores and John Longstreth. There's tons of amazing vocal layering, and even hearing (I assume) Mike Flores performing guttural back-ups just really floored me because I never expected to hear those in an Origin song. Both Paul and Mike have really ramped up their technical prowess and it still blows me away.

"Saligia" will never leave any of my playlists; it is the "Ubiquitos," "Portal," "Disease Called Man," and "Staring From The Abyss" of "Entity".

My favorite part of the album is three callbacks to 90s rock/metal: flangers, pitch shifters, and even a Tom Morello-like kill-switch interlude.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Just gonna leave this here.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Vargatron posted:

There was a studio video of the bass player recording one of the songs from Beyond Creation and holy poo poo is he good. He blows DiGiorgio out of the water.

I don't think this video is the one you're talking about but it still owns bones.

6 string fretless :allears:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
re: Christian metal - I think Extol were one of the bigger bands in the genre. It's not really my thing anymore, but tracks like Undeceived are still p. cool.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Also, has anyone been listening to Mgła? Their latest album may be the best black metal record released this year. Traditional stuff, but so well executed. I didn't think I'd ever describe a BM drummer as "laid back in the cut," but this guy drives the tracks without ever becoming frenetic or off-beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqC4jtrR9Y

This owns, thanks for posting it. Also "mgła" means "fog" which is black metal as heck.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Avocado Goodguy posted:

The "banned from Youtube" clip for "Forced Gender Reassignment" by Pig Destroyer is online.

There are not enough :nsfw: or :nms: emotes. Consider yourselves warned.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3195804/exclusive-cattle-decapitation-release-what-might-just-be-the-most-nsfw-music-video-ever/

At first I was all :smugdog: but then I clicked it and was all :staredog:

Oh my word.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Nordick posted:

I have never gotten around to listening to Death

I can't believe this is a post that someone made. :staredog:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

All this talk of prog metal has my interest piqued. What are some good starter albums?

Dream Theater - Images & Words

I mean top 10 lists are loving retarded but this is the finest prog metal album ever made and influenced countless bands for a good reason. Also check out anything they did up to/including Train of Thought.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Man, not a single mention of Jess and the Ancient Ones on this page?

Come
on
guys.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Say what you want about the quality of the new Megadeth track, but that's a really sweet album cover.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Most metal bands use laughably high amounts of gain live and everything sounds like poo poo no matter how good the sound guy is.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Possibly Chicken posted:

If you go on the official website all the pictures from the 70s are cropped dictatorship style.

I thought you might be exaggerating so I went there and holy poo poo

I'm sure it's Sharon's fault somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Just found out Black Fast are playing a pretty small club not far from me on Sunday. How are they live?

Just got back from their show (opening for Vektor and Voivod) and they were perfectly good.

If I was younger I probably would've liked it more.