Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

het posted:

Man, I like power metal, but you make it sound like oatmeal.

Like Power Metal, oatmeal is wonderful when freshly made, sprinkled with cinnamon and flax seeds, and served with organic vanilla almond milk :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Monkeytime posted:

I just heard the new ICS Vortex album, and it sounds like Enslaved fronted by Geddy Lee. You might like it, though there are no black metal vocals.

I like Enslaved. I like Geddy Lee. I may have to check this out. How is Asgeir's drumming?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

If you're an out of work extreme metal drummer, and you live in Norway, Borknagar needs you! :downsrim:

http://www.artisannorway.com/3784/borknagar-needs-a-new-drummer/

(And to answer the potentially obvious questions: Asgeir Mickelson is apparently now 'retired', [e.g. 'playing a hell of a lot of poker'] and Hellhammer's status is unknown.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yeah I was gonna post basically this but didn't know how to do it without coming off like a metal babby (which is basically what I am, so maybe I should've just gone ahead and done it). Kudos, dude.

There's just SO MUCH metal out there, that I find it really hard to keep track.

"You going to go see Satanic Femur Nun Abortion this Sat?"
"The one from Oakland?
"No - the one from Montevideo."

:geno:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Turisas is a lot of fun. They may not make the most engaging music out there, but drat do they put on a good show.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Because the chance of Vintersorg playing a tour in the USA is less than nil. He's very much a 'I will record a zillion albums with my best friend in a shack in Skellefteċ, but I'd rather eat my right arm than play a live gig anywhere in the universe' kind of guy.

And because it's Vintersorg, he literally means the entire universe.

I was so happy to find them finally on sale that I bought two of them.

Speaking of shirt chat, my Vintersorg shirt is also the only band shirt I really feel comfortable wearing to work, because it doesn't look like a metal shirt at all. It's just his old elf logo, with the sun and the moon on it. I have a kick rear end job, but a business casual dress code. I'm lucky to be able to wear t-shirts at all, so I don't want to push it.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 20, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Anybody planning on going to Inferno Festival in Oslo next Spring?

Some bands I actually like (Agalloch, Borknagar!) will be there, it's a festival where the 'official accommodations' are a hotel and not a campground, I've always wanted to go to Norway, and I'll have the gap in my schedule to make the trip.

If I go, I'll be staying in the official hotel.

http://www.infernofestival.net/no/Festival/News.aspx

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Groke posted:

I might get a day pass if enough of the bands I'd like to see are scheduled for the same day. Since our first kid was born three years ago I haven't been able to justify a full festival pass even to myself, never mind to my wife -- and the lineups have been kind of lacklustre lately, as well (but the 2012 lineup is looking pretty good so far).

If I go, I'm getting the full pass. I'm not familiar with a lot of the bands playing, but I'd like to be. Plus, I'd be on vacation.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I loved this year's Vintersorg release.

Go ahead. Look surprised. It wasn't their strongest ever, but I found it fun and weird.

Also, I really loved the new Moonsorrow CD as well. And somehow I missed that Tyr has a new release, I need to rectify that omission in my music collection.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Portland metal scene loving sucks. Why can't every band here be like Agalloch, Red Fang and YOB?

yes, I know YOB is from Eugene, but gently caress Eugene

It's all either metalcore or bands that try their best to be some kind of Lamb of God sounding "death" metal band.

There's Ceremonial Castings, a black metal band from Battle Ground, WA. So, a lot closer to Portland than Seattle. https://www.ceremonialcastings.net/

Jake, the main guy behind CC, is doing show bookings in the Portland area, I think at Branx. That'd be a place to check out for listings of bands that don't potentially suck. Jake also puts together a two days Cascadial Black Metal festival every May, that plays in Portland. Last year, they were at Branx.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Speaking of tours are there any other tours announced?

Let's see we have these bands announced and on tour.

- Behemoth, Watain, Devil's Blood
- Alcest, Deafheaven (Two FL dates and nothing in New England? ughhh)
- Agalloch US tour (tourdates not announced)
- Gwar, Municipal Waste
- Cannibal Corpse, Exhumed

Paganfest - Turisas, Arkona, Alestorm, and Friends.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Any interesting shows coming to Vancouver, BC in the next few weeks or so?

I want to take a mini-vacation up there, and if I can catch a show, all the better. I don't care how small the place is - in fact, the smaller the better. I'd like to catch a show that's some underground band with a zillion local openers I've never heard of in some random bar, rather than the huge megaproduction that Iron Maiden is going to be in a few months. Not that really picky when it comes to genre, but I like Black and Folk metal way more than, say Thrash or Power metal.

Saturday nights preferred, but I could do Friday nights as well. If Vancouver, BC has a local metal forum/board that I can check out, that might be the best. Thanks!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Awesome. I think I've been there before, the site looks familiar!

And I found an event that looks fun: http://www.facebook.com/events/318119901565388/

ARCHSPIRE presents: bonerjams 2012 with guests; AUROCH, GALDRA. PRECIOUS DUDES.

Bonerjams! 2012!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 17, 2012

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ethan posted:

Haha yeah, Auroch and Archspire are always good. The show the night before that with Mendozza/Weirding/Psilocybin is going to be awesome too.

Nice. However, I may only have energy for the Saturday show.

And Vintersorg, thanks for the link! I looked at it, but nothing on the weekend I want to travel up to.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

So would it be better to see them at Summerfest on the 4th (I've never bean), or just wait until the 5th and see them in Chicago?

OR BOTH!

I'd definitely go see them in Milwaukee. Summerfest always has a ton of stuff going on, and it's a ton of fun.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I seem to recall there being an "unblack" metal band called Horde that was basically Christian BM...

They also aren't horrid, which is a very good thing.

This FB group seems to be active, and they may help you out: https://www.facebook.com/ChristianUnblackMetal

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Apparently, Wintersun is now on tour. In the US. I want to go just for curiosity's sake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

If you're truly interested in Barge to Hell and their ilk, there's a report here: http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/10535/barge-to-hell-2012-the-metal-injection-report

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

WASDF posted:

Aww shhiiiiiiit. Boris is touring the US. Bought my tickets for the Seattle gig(s) immediately. They're doing a normal show in every city with un-heard live songs outside of the US and new songs and another night they're doing Flood.

my god this is gonna be amazing. I need peeps to go with.

When and where are they hitting Seattle?

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

WASDF posted:

May 18th and 19th at the crocodile. Two day combo is $25

Thank you!

That is HIGHLY tempting. And I haven't been to the new Crocodile yet.