Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rightio, I was busy with my own band last year and it looks like I missed out on a lot of awesomeness.

What greatness came out last year that wasn't Epicloud\Apochryphon that I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

Did you get the new Pig Destroyer or Converge?

Not reeeeeeaaaallllllly into the really brutal stuff. Slaughter Of The Soul is about as heavy as it gets for me. Like a good bit of thrash.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm about to commit metal blasphemy.

I loving cannot stand Slayer.

I like some faster\thrashier stuff (I loving love Exodus and a fair bit of Testament\Overkill), a fair bit of non-cheesy melodeath (eg: At The Gates), but I just gave Reign In Blood another listen.

What the gently caress am I missing here? Every song sounds pretty much exactly the same, which isn't a good thing if it was a poo poo song in the first place. There's a lot of awesome riffs peppered throughout the album, but there's an awful lot of not-exciting, no-impact and nigh-incomprehensible trem-picking. It really sounds like the 14 year old guitarist who just learnt how to trem pick and play a few Black Sabbath riffs.

What's really annoying for me is that they will do something pretty loving sweet like the intro to Piece by Piece or the galloping\rolling riff when Reign In Blood kicks in full that makes me go: "Oooooohhh!" but then they'll switch to some poo poo riff straight afterwards. The riffs they sit on are the riffs that I hate, but the riffs they brush over are the riffs I dig.

For a lot of stuff, even if I dont like it, I can generally see the appeal. I do not get Slayer at all.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh and the event that bought this on is because Lombardo pulled out of doing Australian shows. He hasn't been paid in 2012 apparently and doesn't like that 90% of Slayer's tour money goes towards expenses and only 10% goes to the band.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just think it's a terrible shame to have an entire fretboard to work with, but to only down tune gratuitously and stick to the open chugs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Metallica were loving awesome at Soundwave yesterday. gently caress the haters, they still do awesome poo poo live and Blackened is devastating live.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Dream Theater - Images & Words

I mean top 10 lists are loving retarded but this is the finest prog metal album ever made and influenced countless bands for a good reason. Also check out anything they did up to but not including Train of Thought.

Fixed it for you.

Train Of Thought has got so much blatant Metallica worship. Dream Theater are a group of nerds, they shouldn't try to be tough burly metalheads as they tried on ToT.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not metal (gently caress you, if we're talking Ghost...), but the new Clutch album is loving fantastic.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a bitching song. They're not the second musical coming of Christ (or Satan...?) but they do write some pretty great songs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

het posted:

Is Devin Townsend secretly in this band and I don't know about it?

Have you heard Devin Townsend? He's so dreamy...:allears:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
"No Dave, I wanna sing that bit"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Radio Paranoia posted:

On the subject of Big Four alumni that are past their prime, I'm seeing Metallica on the weekend. I've been brushing up on their discography to remind myself of their back catalogue and there is some really solid stuff there. Is their live show still a "greatest hits" repertoire? I'd be really bummed if it was mostly Death Magnetic stuff since I haven't even bothered with that album since it was released.

The haters need to shut up.

They are NOWHERE near as good as their Live poo poo show. That needs to be established.

However, they still put on a loving fantastic show live. When I saw them, we only got 1 Death Magnetic song. They dig into the first 4 for most of it, but then occasionally into the Black album.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. Tool are loving incredible live.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
How could you get bored listening to Lateralus played at an earth-shattering volume? Then you throw in the light show (which I dont normally give a poo poo about) and holy gently caress.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

If Metallica only called it quits after Justice.

Black was good. Yeah, it was commercial, but it'd be a good album to retire on wouldn't it? Lost half your credibility but gained enough money to live like gods for the rest of your lives.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Radio posted:

My guess is Kai Hahto, since he's in everything now. Or maybe that kid who covered when Kári was injured.

Nah, it was Lars Ulrich.

Serious suggestion: Gene Hoglan?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Magnum posted:

I finally listened to Opus Eponymous and Infestissumam and I'm mad at the people who described them to me as "like Blue Oyster Cult" or "like Deep Purple".

More like Sabbath meets Blue Oyster Cult.

I like Ghost when they do a good song, rather than desperately cramming in as many throwbacks to the 60s\70s as humanly possible.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

I get tired of too many hipster throwbacks to the past because I want to see bands doing new things but... come on, I don't like all of Ghost but how can you hate Zombie Queen? There's some talent in there.

I really hate this song and is exactly what I mean.

When the synth comes in at about 1:12, that was the sorta poo poo that should have died with King Crimson. In fact the whole thing gives me a real Moonchild vibe. The following eBow solo is bitching though.

The change at about 3 minutes feels like a Taratino cut to some flashback scene in a 50s surf diner. The way the song ends is very Sabbathy. The reverb-drenched guitar solo is so predictable and cliche. I do dig the chorus, but it's sandwiched by so many references that it loses relevance in the song.

It really stands out when the next song is Year Zero, which aside from Genesis is still their best song. Sure, it's still heavily influenced from a lot of places, but they're not making a point of cramming in references...rather they've just made a loving awesome song.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Protons posted:

I can't stop listening to Be'lakor. I can listen to Of breath and bone and Stones Reach consecutively all day.

They were shithouse when I saw them support At The Gates. Technical difficulties, boring as hell on stage and they couldn't pull off their material.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Civil War's debut album is out! :toot: And it is good poo poo. They have their own sound and it's nice for a change to hear some good basic heavy metal that isn't straight-up retro stuff. Also, Nils Patrik Johansson. :swoon: God drat that guy's voice.

The problem now is that White Wizzard's new album is also out, and I can't listen to both simultaneously.

There is so much Dio worship going on here that any self-respecting metalhead should love this.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whats the pit etiquette? Like , if I got a good spot in the pit, and during one of the breaks I hit the bathroom or whatever I have to pretty much fight back to my spot?

Yes. Basically, it's everybody for themselves.

However, you don't have to be a douche about it or anything.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was always more of a Slaughter Of The Soul kinda guy.

But that sounds pretty rocking. Vocals are loud in the mix though aren't they?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Reckon they could push their tits up any higher?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rivetz posted:

I would agree with this as a general point but would like to observe that (for me) with Exodus, anyway, it works. Those Holt guitars right up front. Personally I LOVE the sound of Exhibit A & B, it sounds like a modernized uptake on the same sound they were going for on Fabulous Disaster. I think those last two Exodus albums are totally underrated, they totally hit the sweet spot for me. So while I agree that that's Sneap's approach and it comes with its limitations, for me when he gets it right with the right band, it's fuckin' right.

Caveat that this comes from a guy who think a lot of Colin Richardson production in the 90s is top-notch and he sometimes does the same thing?

I totally agree with you. Those two albums are almost my favourite Exodus albums.

Edit: This is a good read
http://mixingtips.userboard.net/t58-golden-tips-andy-sneap-reveals-some-of-his-techniques

H13 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 9, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

This is pretty much the only live Metallica worth a poo poo. Grief and cocaine work well together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8xjWINhT68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESicEzUtqk

There's the full show. Holy shitballs. Battery is the opener and they absolutely tear that song to pieces. It's a brilliant example of why Metallica WERE one of the best metal bands of all time.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I watched this fervently hoping that there was a single metallica show where they didn't gently caress up the cool bit in creeping death. NOPE

Are you talking about the "Die" bit? I didn't notice anything...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

They always extend it out to five or six times the length of the album recording and talk over it and get the crowd to sing along, and it goes on a lot longer and it kind of takes all the impact out of that bit. Pet hate. The crowd would sing along correctly even if they didn't do it, and it would be a cool, badass little interlude.

I wouldn't really call it a gently caress up. They're just milking it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I didn't realise how many people don't like At The Gates.

Slaughter is one of the best "Gateway" albums of all time. I would put money on it that many many people got into more extreme metal from digging Slaughter.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

I suppose it's not quite as unpleasant as sticking my head in the oven but I think I would still prefer a lovely diaper full of angry bees

It's a lot better than it should be.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
And Justice For All was released 25 years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptaoXNJjsI

I will argue you into submission by sheer persistence and stubbornness that this is Metallica's best album and possibly one of the best thrash metal albums of all time.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Varg posted:

If you've never seen Maiden from the floor like 10ft from the stage, you haven't yet lived.

You mean like this?

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHEAAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEAAHHHHHH!
HAALLLLLLOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEED BE THY NAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEE!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Great photograph - well worth the time to pull out your camera. Have any more? :bravo:

Oh come the gently caress on! That was Maiden's first tour in Australia since the 80s. I had been waiting since I was 16 for them to come out to Australia and for about 5 or 6 years, they promised they'd make it out to Australia, but never did. The 4 of them line up during my favourite song and nobody is around me. drat straight I'd get a quick photo before jumping back in. It doesn't matter to me that it's with a lovely mobile phone. It's one of those photos that's got a shitload less to do with the image quality and more of a momento of that specific moment.

Gutted to hear they don't do Hallowed anymore.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've liked Amon Amarth for a while.

But I only just got Twilight of The Thunder Gods.

Goddamn that's a good album. It's definitely a step up over pretty much everything else they've done.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw Metallica's Through The Never tonight.

First of all, the "story" takes up a total of about 10 minutes screen time. Generally they just use it for different visuals while Metallica play a kickass song in the background. The story is almost one big long video clip. So Metallica fans? Don't worry. The songs aren't really compromised for the sake of the story. There's a few cuts and stuff, but nothing really cringeworthy.

The stage is awesome. They sounded REALLY good which surprised me because I hate their live sound these days. The performances were great and the setlist is almost the best of the first 4 albums. It's a punishing thrashy setlist and is awesome.

Anybody who has ever liked Metallica? Go check it out. If you get the chance, see it in 3D with IMAX. There were times when I felt like I was at the show again.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

brucio posted:

I read an interview with Lars from a few weeks ago, and he said that they didn't want to become a nostalgia act. And then here comes Through The Never, featuring one song from after 1996. Oops.

They do Fuel AND Memory Remains and Cyanide.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahhh Gamma Ray.

For 51 weeks of the year I cannot stand them.

However, for 1 week of the year, they will be the ultimate definition of musical glory that nobody else has ever reached. I will live, eat, breathe and babble constantly about Gamma Ray.

Then one week later I can't stand them again.

Still they are awesome value for that one week.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

LordWeird posted:

Not a cover, but the new Toxic Holocaust video is a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYdJZgkJ9SI

This is a reminder that I have not done anywhere near enough drugs in my life.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Magnum posted:

Are there any rerecordings that are significant improvements on the original? There's the terrible Dark Quarterer XXV, and I don't think I've heard much good about that rerecording of Bonded by Blood Exodus did.

I actually really like Exodus' re-recording. Then again, I reckon Rob Dukes is the best vocalist that they've ever had.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

really is a good album, When has always been my fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_GWEufQI4

Sorry, April Ethereal wins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8PJvUpjog

But really, the best "Story" album from Opeth is Still Life. You can't beat The Moor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hRznmgLUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tool are surely worthy of a mention.