Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

grandma why posted:

Sol Niger Within is one of the best metal albums I know of. It's Fredrik Thordendal's (Meshuggah guitarist) solo project of sorts. It's not exactly brand new, and I don't know if its existence is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share it with those unfortunate enough to never have heard this brilliant album! You can hear the whole drat thing on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0, so please do so.

The video of Fredrik and Morgen (?) their drummer doing a medley from that album is pretty much the best drum performance I've ever seen. Really worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'd post my last.fm thing, but a lot of it's dictated by basically the bands that I've listened to the longest, so there's a disproportionate amount of Opeth, Enslaved and Katatonia compared to everything else, even though I'm not that into any of them these days.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I can't believe no-one has recommended Morbid Saint to the thrash guy yet. Everyone should listen to Morbid Saint.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Speaking of Opeth, I went to see them the other night and caught the tail end of Katatonia's set. Thought it was pretty good but never really listened to them before. Where should I start?

They've had a few different 'sounds'. Their latest sound is epitomised by 'The Great Cold Distance', which is definitely worth checking out.

Before that stage they were depressive rock, the best album of which, I think, was 'Discouraged Ones'.

And before THAT they were doom metal - with Mike Akerfeldt on vocals for one album, Brave Murder Day, which is just an incredible record from start to finish.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Just finished listening to the latest Absu, it's just incredible. I can't think of a more furious band in all of metal really, or none more visionary, diverse and yet, simultaneously, single minded.

I loving love Absu.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I got into metal around about the same time as Emperor released the much maligned Prometheus; I was more into nu-metal, and when I heard 'The Tongue of Fire' on a free Kerrang! CD (lol) it just blew me away.

I think, as a track, it kind of sums up everything that I love in heavy metal music: it's, in equal measures, mean as hell, epic, evocative, and beautiful. There's incredible solos, sick riffs, dramatic clean singing, terrifying (at the tender age of 13) screaming all in the space of one six minute track. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before, and really this sense of drama and exploration is one which I think is difficult to find in other forms of music.

I think, ten years on, the romance and mystery that extreme metal music had when I was younger has faded somewhat, but the spirit of adventure and freedom that it encompasses is what keeps me coming back :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
For the people who are yearning for a decent way to hear about shows, if you use last.fm much they compile a pretty comprehensive gig list for you, which includes bands you actually listen to as well as ones that you... might listen to.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Vargatron posted:

The Duke Nukem Forever of heavy metal.

Let's hope it's not as bad as Duke Nukem Forever eventually was.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I used to think that Arch Enemy were the absolute best when I was younger, but now I actually can't stomach them at all. Which is strange, really, because I still love all of the other bands like Opeth and Katatonia I got into at the same time.

I'm not sure what it is, if it's just their Sneap-production and lame fvck-da-system themes or what.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm in the 'Meshuggah are amazing' camp, but I can completely understand why they're not to some people's taste.

I think they have, conceptually, been steadily progressing/evolving/whatever throughout their albums, reaching the peak of their mechanical, amelodic dystopian sound with Catch 33, and have, with obZen and the new one been moving in a more conventional direction. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they change in years to come, hurrah.

I do actually see Meshuggah's music as quite expressive, with their sound depicting a kind of senseless, miserable, grim industrial future. I'm just rambling now, because hey, I like Meshuggah.

I think a good starting point is their album 'Nothing', because it fully embraces the percussive, dissonant nature of their sound while still remembering to rock pretty hard.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

RHTITE posted:

It was pretty rad seeing Suffocation on an ad for History Channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jbNN75zU6k. Since I'm on Suffocation, here's an interview by Mike Smith after he left Suffocation in which he talks about the reality of current Suffocation and being in a band in general. http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/index.php/news/latest-news/2370-mike-smith-talks-about-leaving-suffocation.html

Here is a mini-documentary/interview with him as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JB8eVwiN_w

He comes across as a right oval office in that interview. I'm a big fan of his drumming, but I think he needs to take himself a little less seriously.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Taco_Fury posted:

Also, catching Exhumed, Abysmal Dawn, and Cannibal Corpse at the beginning of May. This is my first metal show and I'm aware this question is pretty retarded...but how would I go about meeting Alex and George? Do the musicians just sorta hang out after the show and talk to fans?

Um, they might be hanging around their merch stall at the end or something, or at a bar.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Distant Mist posted:

That's fantastic, thanks for this!

Yeah, this is really nice. Reminds me a lot of Voivod mixed with... I dunno, Faith No More or something.

edit: Whoops, didn't realise there were two more pages of thread when I posted this. It was in reference to a band called Wizard Rifle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDcG5naGX4

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 30, 2012

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

The Clit Avoider posted:

What the hell, Huntress are pretty terrible guys. There's not much to write home about with the singing, and the music behind it is just so... drab and paint-by-numbers.

Allayed to this is the completely cynical way they're being marketed - a former playboy model playing up her "assets" at every opportunity. It's catch 22, you're either a misogynist for dismissing them or a chauvinist for pointing out exactly why they're getting any "mainstream" attention. I'd imagine they'll do very well selling to sexually frustrated teenagers, but anyone who actually bothers to judge the band on the merits of the music shouldn't bother wasting cash.

Yeah, I just pretty much immediately discounted them because all their promo stuff features a girl with ROCKIN' TITS... and I sort of automatically assume that any band with artistic credibility probably wouldn't need to show off physical assets.

Unless it's Manowar, of course.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Not Very Metal posted:

just want to throw my hat in the ring with these guys.

they do rule.

I feel that their drummer needs a mention, just because he's the least cool looking drummer ever, and I love him for it. Even less cool than that tubby one from that awful band posted earlier.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Houseplant posted:

I never got into the whole idea behind moshing. I have always, even as a teenager, tried to find a place to sit, lean, or otherwise stand comfortably. I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon about that sort of thing I guess.

The only show I went to that was entirely seated was for Opeth when they toured just after Ghost Reveries came out.

I'm the same really. I am still in the flower of my youth at 23, but for years now I haven't really had the inclination to watch a concert in a space where some fat bearded shirtless gently caress will feel justified in crashing into me because he temporarily thinks he's a viking or something. I'd rather just rock out peacefully :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
People who are looking for genre-defying or uniquely vocalled metal should definitely check out Ved Buends Ende. I don't really know anyone else who sounds like them, but they have a really great sinister, progressive sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPfYr7JiZM

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: I forgot to mention all the people in the crowd with their cell phones out recording lovely videos of the bands, most of them holding their phones vertically. I knew this was a thing, but holy poo poo it was probably half the crowd. I don't know what is worse, those people, or the kids with their 800 dollar DSLRs running around like they're getting paid to take pictures of the bands.

The worst thing about modern life is the obsession that people have with capturing their experiences digitally rather than experiencing it themselves.

I used to do it, until I realised that, actually, going through old photos/videos of cool stuff is kind of boring after the occasion, and actually just enjoying to the full without looking at it through a little screen is actually a lot more worthwhile.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
God, out of all the bands to lead to you being in court, those are two of the most mediocre. I think if I were one of the 7000, I would be particularly gutted to have to pay thousands of dollars of compensation in the name of Lacuna Coil and Iced Earth.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think there are two opposing views backlashing onto each other. Experimentation is great, because obviously the world would be a loving stale place without it, but, in metal in particular, I do often see this kind of blind excitement about gimmickery, e.g. 'omgz lyrics about DINOSAURS and they've got an OBOE and CHAMBER-POP BREAKDOWNS'.

I think metal is a genre which encompasses, for want of a better word, 'wackiness', more than many others, which encourages dross like Alestorm etc to rise to the surface. People seem to squeal with delight whenever someone mashes metal with [x] lyrical theme or [y] unusual instrument/style, and that can be kind of grating.

I'd put myself on the more traditional end of the scale, and I do think that a lot of the time people are putting a saxophone solo over their Darkthrone tribute because they can't really think of anything else to do - not because it actually adds to the music organically.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
At least it meant they got to spend some time in Bath, which is a lovely place.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

watt par posted:

Also that dvd's audio track was taken from the soundboard, so it's going to have an optimal mix.

It was a loving great gig though, they absolutely slayed it. I can't remember if it was at that festival or maybe Hellfest the year after where Emperor played, but they were both amazing reunion gigs.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Time to all remind ourselves that Six Feet Under really are an absolutely atrocious band who would never, ever have achieved any success without having extant connections to the music industry.

See also: Hellyeah.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

IRQ posted:

Not really a specific question but I'm curious as to whether Dragonforce are in on the fact that they're a total joke. I actually suspect that they are.

They have trampolines on stage and engage in a lot of pantomime in their live show - of course they know they're a joke.

When I saw them about ten years ago they had their mics on during the encore, so you could hear them say 'HAY GUYZ, WHERE'S THE CROWD GONE? I CAN'T HEAR THEM AT ALL THEY MUST NOT WANT US BACK!!!!' to encourage more cheering. Lame but lovable I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Copied and pasted from the black metal thread because I'm an idiot:

Hay guys

I've not listened to any new metal for about ten years. I think the last album I bought was Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower. So it's been loving ages, anyway!

Would any of you be so good to recommend me a handful of the best metal albums of the last decade (I'm sure there's a lot to choose from).

My metal tastes are pretty all-encompassing, but I don't really like power metal, or operatic symphonic stuff or any of the fruitier prog metal - I can only just stomach Dream Theater, and even then with a sense of shame.

Sincere appreciation in advance for any assistance you all can give!

p.s. currently listening to 'Back to Times of Splendour' by Disillusion, and I've loved that record since it came out - although I heard they went kind of lovely after that, which is a shame...