Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! Just found out I get to see Skeletonwitch and Kvelertak on tour together next month. gently caress yeah!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

poo poo man stop that, I don't have spare pants at work.

Any tour dates announced?

edit-- October 20th, Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC... Tremont? Really? Fuuuuck I hate that place.

10/19 Atlanta, GA - The Earl
10/20 Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
10/21 Brooklyn, NY - Europa / CMJ
10/22 New York, NY - Rocks Off Concert Cruise Aboard The Jewel / CMJ
10/23 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brendas
10/24 Columbus, OH - The Summit
10/25 Cleveland, OH - Peabody’s
10/27 Grand Rapids, MI - The Pyramid Scheme

I think Skeletonwitch is curently fiishing up a tour with Arch Enemy, Devildriver and Chthonic. Yeah, it's not my favorite NC venue either but drat, if Skeletonwitch isn't worth it. For $13 bones too?!?! They're also the most approachable and down to earth guys in metal. Me and my buddy tried to buy them a round of brews in Raleigh last time and they we like, "Hell no brother, save your money and come drink OUR beer!" Talked to them for a good bit before their set. Real friendly cats.

I also had to have this...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

BSchlang posted:

Be honest, who else discovered Skeletonwitch by playing Brütal Legend?

I discovered Skeletonwitch by drinking beers with them at a Cannibal Corpse show. Cool guys!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
For those of us that still care...

THE 13 DATES OF DOOM

GHOST w/ BLOOD CEREMONY, ANCIENT VVISDOM

North American tour dates:

Jan. 18 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
Jan. 19 - Washington, DC @ Rock N Roll Hotel
Jan. 20 - Boston, MA @ Middle East (downstairs)
Jan. 21 - Montreal, QC @ Corona Theatre
Jan. 22 - Toronto, ON @ The Mod Club
Jan. 24 - Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
Jan. 25 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Jan. 27 - Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
Jan. 28 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Vertigo (The Complex)
Jan. 30 - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
Jan. 31 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
Feb. 01 - San Francisco, CA @ Bottom of the Hill
Feb. 02 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Roxy

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

Apr. 11 - Columbus, OH - The Bluestone
Apr. 12 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls
Apr. 13 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
Apr. 14 - St. Paul, MN - Station Four
Apr. 16 - Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater
Apr. 17 - Denver, CO - Summit Theatre
Apr. 18 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
Apr. 20 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
Apr. 21 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw
Apr. 22 - Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theater
Apr. 23 - San Francisco, CA - Slims
Apr. 25 - Los Angeles, CA - House Of Blues
Apr. 26 - Phoenix, AZ - Nile Theater
Apr. 27 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Apr. 29 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
May 01 - Tampa, FL - Orpheum
May 02 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
May 04 - Charlotte, NC - Amos Southend
May 05 - Baltimore, MD - Rams Head
May 06 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero Theatre
May 08 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
May 09 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda
May 10 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial
May 11 - Worcester, MA - Palladium
May 12 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

the yeti posted:

:allears: this will be glorious.

My friends, all things are glorious through Satan.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

futile posted:

Also god drat. All of these Canadian metal recommendations have made me come to realize that the vast majority of my favorite metal bands/albums are a product of French Canadians. I apologize for any past negativity towards French Canadians in my life and will from now on stand up for your good name. Keep it coming.

I would make no such claim. It's going to take a whole hell of a lot of metal to make up for infecting the rest of the world with likes of Nickleback.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

co199 posted:

I hadn't heard Jungle Rot before and after looking into Kill On Command, I guess they're "old school" death metal? What are some other bands that have that groove / hardcore sound to them?

As far as the traditional "old school" death metal groove goes, the new Asphyx album Deathhammer fits that mold pretty well and is really great. Something a little less know is the new Fungus Inc. album,Gettin Drunk and Spreadin Spunk, if you can get past all the silly lyrics. I'm still enjoying a recent new demo from a US band Vastum called, Carnal Law. It's a great tribute to classic death metal. Then there is still yet, ...Bolt Thrower!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

rxcowboy posted:

So basically I just fell in love with a band I will realistically never see live. Fantastic.

...or evidently record new material. When they said that they pretty much ditched the material proposed for a follow up to 2005's Those Once Loyal, feeling it would not live up to what they considered to be their best material, I could neither disagree or accept the statement. It has taken me years to come to terms with this.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, from interviews and stuff I've read, it sounds like the whole thing is Blake Judd's brainchild. Granted, I don't like Blake right now because I paypalled him $20 for a couple CDs and he never sent them and won't return my e-mails now :mad: that butthole

Hey, maybe you'll be mentioned as a co-producer on the next album that drops in July?

Wasn't it on here that someone posted that they had tried to buy a T-shirt on one of the last Nachtmystium tours and the guys said that they had forgotten to order shirts before the tour started or they had spent all the funds on drugs. Man, that's pretty rock n' roll. With that said, I can't wait for some new Nachtmystium. The new single that is suppose to come out this month is going to have a cover version of Joy Division's "The Eternal", w/ Chris Connelly on vocals.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

The guys in Type-O all have their "O-Negative" emblem somewhere, I think it's a cool tattoo.

Actually, before they were called Type O Negative the guys got "Subzero" tattoos until they realized there was already a band called Subzero. So they have had to change their band name to Type O Negative to fit their matching tattoos.

Don't get a band tattoo. It never ends well.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

s0nar posted:

Cannibal and Goatwhore. +Exhumed.

I'll go for this, but stay to see the 250 lbs. (+plus) biker rednecks squish the poo poo out of the the teenage hipsters in the circle pits only to jumped by 10 to 12 of them like a pack of androgynous faux pas fashion wolves.

Valk posted:

I really like one album by Black Dahlia Murder.

I'm with you Valk. I dig me some old school Black Dahlia Murder as well. While I can certainly appreciate the well developed craft of their later albums like Ritual and Deflorate, I still have a soft spot for Unhallowed, Miasma and Nocturnal. I still like to crank Unhallowed from time to time. I mean, The Blackest Incarnation? That shits just evil!

To answer your question on similar material, there is always At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul or Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt or even some early In Flames like The Jester Race thru Clayman for shifting melodies.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MrBling posted:

Desaster are still around? I thought they had disappeared around five years ago.

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years. So does this new Desaster break that mold?

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard more than one track from the new Cattle Decapitation album, Monolith of Humanity? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a promo copy of the album and I must say, it's pretty drat outstanding. I mean, I've kinda caught glimpses of greatness on their last few releases that caught my attention, but this one really caught me off-guard. It's a blend of death/grind/gore/tech that fits without coming across as super pretentious or just plain out contrived. It's got lots of tempo changes and well produced. Travis Ryans vocals are... well, kind of un-human. At first I didn't know if I liked all the screeching/singing vocals he does in contrast with deep growls, but upon repeat listens, I think it actually fits. Almost makes you skin freaking crawl.

I'd also like to thank Rob Arnold and Kevin Talley for bringing Six Feet Under back to being a relevant death metal band again for the first time since 1999's Maximum Violence. Thank you!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

The Clit Avoider posted:

What the gently caress? Aside from their first demo and EP, Inquisition are completely unique in their sound and every album they've put out is stellar.

Oh yeah?!?!? Someone would like to have a word with you...

I'm not saying that I don't like Inquisition, but they're pretty straight forward Immortal worship. This isn't a bad thing, but it's not gonna separate you from THAT very large pack.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow, I'm gonna have to check this out again or something. The Inquisition that was from Columbia, right? The one that's singer sounds a whole hell of a lot like Abbath?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

To Battle posted:

God drat I can't get enough of Disma's Towards the Megalith. It's everything I love in death metal compacted into one album.

This is the same way I feel about the new Asphyx album, Deathhammer. It's instant death metal classic!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

Noted.
I have not watched the DVD yet, but the live recordings are brilliant.

Watch it! It's loving awesome! Not a region free DVD, but still awesome never the less.

QPZIL posted:

Any of your brothers going to the Decibel show in Charlotte NC tomorrow? I can't get any of my friends to go see Watain with me. Something about animal parts bugs them out.

Actually, a friend that saw the tour last week told me that Behemoth asked them not to use any animal blood on this tour, just some body parts here and there. Wonder if that's true.

All of gawd's fury could not keep me from this show. From what I understand, some of the venues on this tour have asked the bands to refrain from some of the details they are known for. The Devil's Blood covering themselves in blood and candles on stage. Watain's pig heads, animal parts/blood and some of their fire effects (torches, candles, etc.) Everything I've read though has lead me to believe that it's pretty much up to the individual venue, not the artists. So, if your attending this tour at a relatively small venue, some or all of the usual stage trimmings may be missing. I don't expect this to detract from my overall experience THAT much. Particularly Watain!

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Watain was a huge dissapointment. I was expecting horrible smells and blood and animal corpses. What I saw was 4 balding men in black metal make-up playing basically diet Behemoth songs, slightly headbanging, in front of 2 (count em 2!) goat skulls on poles.

Thrilling.

Hey! Maybe Five Fingered Death Punch is coming to your area soon. Enjoy!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Holy poo poo Watain was good. I didn't know Erik was like 5' tall, he's like Dani Filth if there were anything good about Dani Filth.

Indeed Watain were great. Reaping gently caress'in Death!!! I really enjoyed In Solitude as well, but I couldn't see the need for The Devil's Blood having 3 guitarists.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

All Watain did was a 5 song set of Lawless Darkness stuff.

We got The Serpent's Chalice at the Charlotte show. I'm ready to see them do a proper headlining show with a good mix of older stuff myself. Maybe even a few Bathory and Dissection covers for good measure.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Drifter287 posted:

The HAY GUYS, TITS! stuff is pretty embarrassing, but the music is pretty solid old school heavy metal with some modern flair and the vocals are killer.

I'm still on the fence about this band. I really liked their EP, Off With Her Head, that they initially released a few years back and had been looking forward to their first full length ever since. I feel like their music has some great potential. It just doesn't have the hooks that some other similar bands may. Maybe their next album. I also like Jill's vocals until she tries to pull off that harsh raspy banshee forced scream poo poo. Makes my skin crawl. Still yet, great tits trumps all the other stuff. Call me shallow or whatever, but I'm still a man god dammit and tits sell!

If I want nice female vocals and great music, I'd listen to the new Christian Mistress album.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Bah! I knew Baroness was destined for greatness when I saw one of them was sporting an Immortal T-shirt while hanging out in front of the venue before their gig with Deftones. Actually, been a fan since their EPs. It's been really fun to watch this band mature and grow into a rock power house.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

I've basically come to terms with this.

I've come to terms that Nachtmystium now does Ministry BETTER than Ministry.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Gospel of the Horns track

Woah, this is really good stuff! Where do I start in their back catalog?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Houseplant posted:

Pretty much this. I find it more annoying than anything else when I am watching a perfectly good show and some fat sweaty corpse-painted man runs into me at full speed. Besides the fact that I'm not built for that, it is a huge distraction from the reason I am there: the band on the stage. I know I'm boring, but it is pretty interesting seeing that there are people from both camps in this thread.

Sorry. My intention was not to come across as a homophobic rear end in a top hat. I think that I'm just getting old.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

RationalTangle posted:

It got me wondering: Does anybody know of any metal groups with a similar dark/bleak science fiction theme to their music? My apologies if a similar question has been answered earlier in the thread, I've been reading it off and on for a couple months and might have missed it.

While I believe just about the entire group has just about turned over now, Planetary Duality from The Faceless fits that science fiction / horror tech death theme. It will be interesting to see how the new members change their sound from here on out. I haven't heard any of their new material.

Seconding Vektor and Voivod sci-fi theme with progressive thrash.

On a different note, has anyone else been following the development of the new Dying Fetus album, Reign Supreme? The samples I've heard sound insanely good!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

I know he's gunning for a D-Beat/Venom/Bathory niche with it and the thought of not hearing the best parts of Venom and Bathory come together is killing me. Are there any other bands that have done what he went for with this project?

NOOOOOOO!!! He's GOT to release this poo poo!!!

Successfully? To my knowledge, not that many. That Yellowgoat clip kinda reminds me of what I love about Children of Technology, Bunker 66, Dishammer, Bastardator and even some elements of Carnivore, Hellhammer and newer Darkthrone. Particularly Dishammer's Vintage Addiction. It's like the bastard child of Discharge and Hellhammer.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

SepticFlesh is also awesome for that Dimmu Borgir-esque symphonic metal thing.

Actually, SF is just awesome period.

SepticFlesh is indeed awesome! They pull off the whole symphonic metal so much better than most. Instead of just being a backdrop to the riffs, they really infuse the orchestra parts into their music. Communion is a beast of an album. Seen them a couple of times live and they pull it off pretty well live too.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

I'm digging it - a lot!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Ugh!

On a related note, Joel recently did some instrumental music for a movie based loosely on the Hell's Angels that was written by Sonny Barger.

Yeah, this guy seems pretty metal.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 14, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'm going to the first date of the Maiden England US tour this Friday and I am a giddy as a little school girl. This will be my first live Iron Maiden experience. Once that has been looooooog overdue.

Edit: Errr, I mean Thursday. It's gonna be a long enough week as is.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 18, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Nile album, At The Gates of Sethu, has leaked. It's everything I hoped it would be - and more! I've only listened to it once, but it may very well rival Annihilation of the Wicked as their best offering to date. They've somehow managed to be a little different and make it fresh while still firmly remaining Nile.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

Biggest surprises Shining, Kvarforth was on form, he looked angry, swigging whiskey from the bottle and spitting it out, and generally being really engaging. Their music also had more punch to it than I remembered it having. I missed half their set to get a good spot for Yob, but I really enjoyed what I saw.

Hearing this and the addition of Euge Valovirta on guitar and Rainer Tuomikanto on drums makes me think Shining is on the verge of true greatness. I can't wait till they get all their visa issues settled and what not to do a proper US tour. Seems like every great touring opportunity they get (Behemoth, Watain, etc.) falls through for them.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! I can't believe no one has mentioned the new Testament track yet. These guys just keep getting better with age.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175960

Not to mention the awesomeness of the album cover...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Vintersorg posted:

What a good month for metal tho. Next week is Shockwavefest with Fear Factory (new album is alright), Voivod and Cattle Decapitation (new metal owns) plus tons of other good acts. Than Skeletonwitch a day after Maiden!!

It seems that Voivod just followed suit with about 1/2 the other bands and dropped off the Shockwave tour. It's a shame I suppose. Although the Fear Factory album is kinda meh, the new Cattle Decapitation is in the running with me for aoty. Maybe they'll still do a proper US headlining tour this fall.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Christopher Irvine posted:

Melvins used that same emblem almost two decades ago.

Everyone from Laibach to Marilyn Manson has used it at some point on their stuff.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If I was a pacific northwest goon, I know what I'd be doing this weekend...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I may be a bit late to the game, but I gave the new Hail Spirit Noir album, Pneuma a spin. I believe it came out back in March? It's like black metal from the 60's. The organ's sound so drat creepy. I have to agree with the reviews I've read so far, It's the three way love child of The Doors, Ghost and Akercocke. One of the more original releases of the year thus far.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

IRQ posted:

The more illegible a band logo is the...

...less likely someone is to google your band's name and download your music for free!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any thoughts on the new Testament? I'm about to give it a go. The single owned, and Formation owned, so I have high expectations.

With repeat listens, I'm enjoying it. If you liked The Formation of Damnation, like I did, you should enjoy The Dark Roots of Earth.