Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

thepitgoddess posted:

There's a Napalm Death/Exhumed/Speedwolf/Municipal Waste tour thing going on.

There's a date confirmed in Tampa (1 Dec) and ND and MW are confirmed on Barge to Hell, so maybe it's not a full tour? That would be kickass though, all those bands kill live!

I think Vektor may be on that tour as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Just when I believed that I had heard even combination of death metal to come out of Sweden I stumble across, Necrovation. Their new S/T release is already out in Europe, but it's getting a US release next week. It's like equal parts Darkthrone / Entombed / Repugnant in a blackened doom bundle. Good stuff!

Necrovation's Sepulchreal

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm sure this won't be new to most, but I was just turned on to Dew Scented. Death-y German thrash metal with harsh vocals, it's like a dream :allears:

It's boring and completely forgettable. I'd rather listen to some old Kreator.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'm currently on a tremendous Swedish Death Metal kick. Grave, Degial and Necrovation

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
YES!!! I think it's the best stuff they've done since Into the Grave.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm currently on a tremendous Swedish Death Metal kick.

...not to mention the awesome Ribspreader 2 disc album marking the band's 10 year anniversary. All hail Rogga Johansson and all his many semi-active bands (10+).

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Groke posted:

I've been a metalhead since 1988 (I am old) and randomly stumbled across Bathory when a friend lent me Blood Fire Death in 1989. Still one of the best albums ever. Try to imagine what it was like for a high-school kid to come across that thing back then, just try.

As another old metalhead, I find myself doing this regularly. Imagine stumbling across a gem like this when all that is being played on the radio or MTV is New Kids on the Block or Janet Jackson.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

vanov posted:

I guess I'll just ask then, is there anything else along these lines that people could point me to? I've dipped my toe in BTBAM and am an avid Isis fan, so something around those five bands (Faceless, Ocean, Neurosis, Isis, BTBAM) would be what I'm after.

Cult of Luna or even some of Jesu's catalog may float your boat if you're that avid a fan of Isis (R.I.P.).

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

SilverSmoke posted:

Very amusing Watain interview but I really have problems believing this guy is for real..

I think it's gently caress'in hilarious! It's not so much that Erik takes himself so very serious, but rather the fact that the media hangs on and over analyzes every word he says. Who gives a poo poo what type of toppings he orders on his pizza? He's playing most of interviewers for pure fools to their faces and they don't even have enough common sense to know it. Honestly, I think he's more offended to the fact that the band covering themselves in blood makes more of an impact on an audience than the great musical craftsmanship of the songs. I'd be sarcastic too if I had to do 40+ interviews a day and the first thing each one of them asked was, "Duurrrrr, what does the blood mean?" I mean, he's an artist. A great graphic artist as well! What's the point if you have to explain every single thing you do.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Sooo, apparently a Converge, Torche & Kvelertak U.S. tour may be in the works for this fall. How sweet would that be? The only dates confirmed thus far are...

11/02-04 Austin, TX – Fun Fun Fun Fest
11/09 Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
11/11 New York, NY – Highline Ballroom

Yeah, it's official...

CONVERGE "ALL WE LOVE WE LEAVE BEHIND" U.S. TOUR ANNOUNCED
This Fall/Winter, Converge will be heading out on tour in support of their new album "All We Love We Leave Behind".

The album will be released on October 9th, 2012 on Epitaph/Deathwish.
More news on the release coming soon.

Converge U.S. Tour w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails*, and Whips/Chains*
(* Appearing on select dates only)

09/01: Los Angeles, CA @ FYF Fest w/ American Nightmare, Quicksand, and more
10/12: New Britain, CT @ Club INT w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/13: Rochester, NY @ Water Street Music Hall w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/14: Pittsburgh, PA @ Altar Bar w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/15: Columbus, OH @ Skully's w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/16: Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theatre w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/18: Chicago, IL @ Metro w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/19: Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock Social Club w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/20: Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theatre w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Coalesce, and more
10/21: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/22: Salt Lake City, UT @ Club Sound w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
10/24: Seattle, WA @ El Corazon w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
10/25: Portland, OR @ Branx w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
10/26: San Francisco, CA @ Slim's w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
10/27: Pomona, CA @ Glasshouse w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
10/28: Los Angeles, CA @ EchoPlex w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
10/30: Mesa, AZ @ The Nile w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Nails, and more
11/01: Dallas, TX @ Sons of Herman Hall w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
11/02: Austin, TX @ Fun Fun Fun Festival w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
11/03: Houston, TX @ Fitzgerald's w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
11/04: Little Rock, AR @ Downtown Music w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
11/05: Birmingham, AL @ Zydece w/ Torche, Kvelertak, and more
11/06: Nashville, TN @ Exit/In w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/07: Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/08: Durham, NC @ Motoroco Music Hall w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/09: Philly, PA @ Union Transfer w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/10: Asbury Park, NJ @ Stone Pony w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/11: New York City, NY @ Highline Ballroom w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more
11/12: Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair w/ Torche, Kvelertak, Whips/Chains, and more

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 20, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

So municipal waste isn't headlining? The layout of the poster I saw made me think they were even though it didn't make sense for them to be above Napalm Death

Although I agree that it's pretty lame too, it has been advertised as a "co-headling" tour.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'd like to recommend a band to the metal thread that I just don't hear getting mentioned nearly enough. It's New York's Natur. They're yet another retro old metal act that tips their hats to classic metal similar to Angel Witch and Mercyful Fate in the same vein as modern acts Ghost, Portrait or Christian Mistress. I'm not so sure that they will blow up as big without the exposure, but they did play Fenriz's Live Evil festival. Well, their first full length, Head of Death, came out on Earache Records back in June and I've really been enjoying it with repeat listens. If you like your metal like it was ripped straight out of 1982, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaLDlTsC2s

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Murder Construct has a new album and it rules well cya

If it's 1/2 as good as the last Cattle Decapitation or Exhumed albums, I'm on it.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Defleshed posted:

I don't have any questions but want to say that Grave's new disc is loving awesome.

Agreed.

Adding that the new Hooded Menace disc, Effigies of Evil is awesome! Fullfill the Curse was a landmark death/doom album for me. Never Cross the Dead was only a slight let down. Effigies of Evil is a return to form!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nordick posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the general opinion on Satyricon here? I've been listening to Age of Nero and Now, Diabolical lately and I enjoy both quite a bit. Where do I go from here?

While Nemesis Divina would be considered their landmark album, I enjoy the black 'n roll of later Satyricon as well. If you like Now, Diabolical you should enjoy Volcano as well. Fuel For Hatred is one grooooooovy tune.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

sticklefifer posted:

Another new track from Enslaved's RIITIIR: "Veilburner"

This is shaping up to be a sweet album so far.

I got an email notification over the weekend that the vinyl has been kicked back until mid-November.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Monkeytime posted:

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XI:

BOLT THROWER (UK)
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
SLEEP
VENOM (UK)

Yeah, this is all I really needed to see to be sold on MDF XI. All in one weekend? Not sure that my metal soul can handle such a dose.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

Why has no one in here ever mentioned the fact that Deceased is as criminally underrated as Coroner?

20 years listening to metal and this is the first listen I've had :mad:

I've worn out my copy of their Behind the Mourner's Veil EP. Zombie Attack!!! I've also got a soft spot for Blueprints for Madness. I'd recommend checking them both out. Deceased is indeed a highly underrated band. Despite what some may say, Lamb of God and GWAR are not the greatest metal bands to come out of Richmond, VA.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command (2011)

This. Red Winter is the end all be all track!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
gently caress all the haters! I'm going to see Six Feet Under on the "Day of the Dead" for the first time since 1999!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Defiant Sally posted:

Can anyone give me any recommendations for stuff like Demonaz's 'March of the Norse'? Black and roll kinda stuff. I love this poo poo. I've heard I, and Chrome Division, and like both of those as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZsqGV7_YQ

Be sure to check out Byfrost's album, Black Earth. It's more traditional thrash than black 'n roll, but pure quality Immortal worship. Some of the better black 'n roll I've come across lately is Chapel's album that came out back in August, Satan's Rock 'n' Roll.

rxcowboy posted:

I've been on a thrash kick, listening to Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Vader, and Havoc lately. What are some other good new thrash bands to check out?

If you like Toxic Holocaust, Joel's other efforts like War Ripper's EP Hell Storm are worth looking into.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Posted from Joel Grind's blog today...

Joel Grind "The YELLOWGOAT Sessions" to be released Tuesday January 15, 2013 digitally with a 12" LP to follow in late February or early March.

YELLOWGOAT

Recorded as sort of a return to form of the demo era of Toxic Holocaust (Critical Mass in particular). Raw, stripped down, reverbed and distorted to hell.

I decided to not call this a Toxic Holocaust record for a few reasons. The main one being Toxic has sort of morphed from being a solo project to now being a full band. That's not saying you wont see other "solo" Toxic material, but for right now it's definitely a solid band. Also, this record is definitely less Thrash and more dirty Rock n Roll and finally I didn't want to just slap the Toxic name on it to sell it. I recorded this because I was anxious to record something like this again with out over thinking it.

Recorded in two days in a rehearsal room.
All instruments by Joel Grind.

01 Ascension (Intro)
02 Hell's Master of Hell
03 Vengeance Spell
04 Foul Spirit Within
05 Cross Damnation
06 Grave Encounters
07 Black Order
08 The Eternal One
09 Hail to Cruelty
10 Descension (Outro)

Hell yeah!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I know it's just bold Mercyful Fate / King Diamond worshiping rip offs but, drat if I don't really enjoy the new Attic album, The Invocation. You stream the entire album here... HAIL SATAN!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Misogynist posted:

I really want to like this, but the guitar playing is borderline incompetent. I get that the original Mercyful Fate recordings had their own problems and suffered from some pretty bad recordings of most of the instrumental harmonies, but these are some of the worst and most un-confident leads I've heard in a really long time.

I really cannot believe that we are hearing the same music!?!?! Are you sure that your speakers are working properly?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm actually busy compiling my list for my blog now and would be interested in reading some goon Top 10s.

Hah! I was waiting on someone to ask!!! Lots of great metal in 2012. Makes me excited to see what 2013 holds.

1. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
2. Enslaved - RIITIIR
3. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
4. Aura Noir - Out To Die
5. Grave - Endless Procession of Souls
6 Attic - The Invocation
7. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
8. Asphyx - Deathhammer
9. Rust - Damned Hellish Voids
10. Windhand - Windhand

Honorable mentions:

Panopticon - Kentucky
Chapel - Satan's Rock 'N Roll
Hooded Menace - Effigies Of Evil
Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
Lord Mantis - Pervertor
Natur - Head of Death
Mlga - With Hearts Toward None
Jess and The Ancient Ones - Jess and the Ancient Ones
Horrendous - The Chills
Faustcoven - Hellfire and Funeral Bells
Gospel of the Horns - Ceremonial Conjuration EP
Blut Aus Nord - 777: Cosmosophy
Wodensthrone - Curse
Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
Pilgrim - Misery Wizard
Hour of 13 - 333
Royal Thunder - CVI
Black Breath - Sentenced To Life
Weapon - Embers and Revelations

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

rxcowboy posted:

Time for a band I never see talked about here: Black Breath.

Ah, the bastard child of Entombed and Discharge. I liked Sentenced to Life, but Heavy Breathing was significantly better for me. They nail that classic Entombed guitar tone.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Yellowgoat is stupidly good

True story. Grave Encounters makes me wanna break out all my early Dismember stuff. Rock on Joel! You magnificent evil bastard!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Despite the atrocious cover art, Voivod's Target Earth is easily their best album in 20 years. I can now confirm this.

R.I.P. Piggy...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Non Serviam posted:

"Avant Garde metal" is very much hit-or-miss. DSO is a great band and really produces some really great songs/albums. Stolen Babies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLLQEM9-Ew) also produces some good stuff.

On the other hand, stuff like Iwrestledabearonce and their hipster/Avantgardecore metal is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgMMtgSTVE

I enjoyed Pandora's Piρata, but I'm kind of reluctant to try out this band Stolen Babies I keep hearing mentioned lately. Are they not opening for Coal Chamber on this recently contrived reunion effort?!?! I understood that there may be some musical ties to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. A band I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past for their experimental rock/metal-ism.

In a similar vein, fans of the "avant-garde" may also enjoy the blackened prog-rock psychedelia of the greek band, Hail Spirit Noir.

I just wish we could load Iwrestledaboaronce and Mindless Self Indulgence both into a rocket, shoot them into space and pretend that they never happened.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 24, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Ahhh, according to their Facebook page it appears that The Devil's Blood have disbanded/broken up/spilt. I anticipate the announcement that Selim (guitarist & chief song writer) will join Watain in 3... 2...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

thepitgoddess posted:

GHOST US Tour with Support from Ides of Gemini:

4/12 – Indio CA, Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival
4/18 – Denver CO, Ogden Theatre
4/19 – Albuquerque NM, Sunshine Theater
4/21 – Indio CA, Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival
4/23 – Tucson AZ, Rialto Theatre
4/25 – San Francisco, CA, The Regency
4/26 – Portland OR, Wonder Ballroom
4/27 – Seattle WA, Showbox at the Market
4/29 – Vancouver BC, Commodore Ballroom
4/30 – Calgary AB, Republik
5/01 – Edmonton AB, Starlite Room
5/03 – Winnipeg AB, Garrick Centre
5/04 – Minneapolis MN, Mill City Nights
5/06 – Toronto ON, Opera House
5/07 – Montreal QC, Corona Theatre
5/08 – Quebec City QC, Theatre Petit Champlain
5/10 – Boston MA, Royale
5/11 – New York NY, Webster Hall
5/12 – Philadelphia PA, Trocadero Theatre
5/13 – Washington DC, 9:30 Club
5/15 – Milwaukee WI, Turner Hall
5/17 – Detroit MI, St. Andrews Hall
5/18 – Pittsburgh PA, Mr. Smalls

It's evident that GHOST fears the wrath of GAWD in the deep US south (aka THE BIBLE BELT).

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Other newer bands that do the old school death metal thing well?

Sweden's Degial does this pretty well. Check out their newest album that came out last summer, Death's Striking Wings.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Portal album, Vexovoid, is the stuff nightmares are made of. That is all.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Enslaved. gently caress. See them.

Enslaved / Pallbearer / Ancient VVisdom

This is one of the few current tour packages where I'd like to see every band. How was Pallbearer and Ancient VVisdom?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Man I'm a bit in tough times so I can either see this or go see Anthrax with Exodus up in Cincinnati. I really think Death to All would be more worth it though, a better use of refund money. I assume that's what you guys would recommend too?

gently caress Anthrax and Exodus. Go early and see High on Fire and Municipal Waste open.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I haven't listened to the metal melodies of Soilwork (or melodic death metal for that matter) since they released Figure Number Five in 2003 or 2004? I'm gonna get in the old time machine and listen to their new album after hearing some praises. Has anyone else gave it a go?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I have fond memories of both Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five. I bailed after that. I made two impulse purchases from iTunes yesterday. The new Soilwork and the new Hatchet. We'll see...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Hulk Krogan posted:

In other news, has anyone else grabbed that Howling album? I've been listening to it almost nonstop. Thrashy traditional heavy metal with death metal vocals and songs about horror movies. Really old-school but awesome sounding production, too.

Yes! This is easily the best thing Razorback Records has released since the Ghoul, Hooded Menace and Acid Witch days.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nordick posted:

I was just rather unexpectedly introduced to this band called Arkham Witch and holy tits this stuff is just so loving GOOD. Occult doom-laden heavy goddamn metal. God drat.

Arkham Witch is just one of the plethora of bands I've discovered thanks to Fenriz's https://www.bandoftheweek.net blog. Angel of Damnation is another good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Last night I came across a list that Metal Injection recently published as the Top 10 Most Influential Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. While most of the time, I dismiss these "lists" as completely subjective, I think that this one seems to be pretty accurate to me.

1. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast
3. Metallica's Ride The Lightining
4. Venom's Black Metal
5. Death's Scream Bloody Gore
6. Pantera's Cowboys From Hell
7. Slayer's Reign In Blood
8. At The Gates's Slaughter of the Soul
9. Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve
10. Dream Theater's Images and Words (Really?)

Agree / Disagree / Discuss