Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I listened to it as well but I feel like it's for people who think "good" music only existed 30-40 years ago. The 90s was 30 years ago! I appreciate people who dig it but it's really not for me. IMO it's ignoring all of the good thrash that has come out since st. anger. I actually liked some riffs in Death Magnetic!

H13 posted:

This feels like an album made to target people who liked the Metallica scene in Stranger Things. The whole thing feels like it's an album made for what people who THINK Metallica\Rock fans would like. With a few genuinely kickass riffs sprinkled throughout. I would suggest they had a bunch of kickass riffs sitting around on their riff tapes, but I feel like management told Metallica to put out an album ASAP with what they had.

This. If it gets people into metal or metal-lite then I'm all for it. Just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

thrash rules rear end

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Opeth just announced their North America tour. I have never seen them although I would like to. Do they even play their old stuff anymore? I honestly might not go if it's just their newer stuff..

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Oh gently caress ending with Deliverance, too? Thanks! Actually pretty hyped right now.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's possible that tour was a deliberate throwback though idk. If your city is not in the first couple of stops I would wait and check setlist.fm to see what they're playing.

Ooh good idea thanks, I was just about to get the tickets but I will do that. I doubt there are enough old people like me to sell out that concert, right?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Issaries posted:

It's not like Opeth has new stuff. Latest album is almost 5 years old and no new one announced, which is shame.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing them in this year Tuska Festival.
Last time I saw them was back in -09 as opening act for Dream Theater.

I think people refer to 'new' Opeth as starting from Heritage where they are basically just boring Porcupine Tree copies or whatever idk I hardly listen to those albums.

Old Opeth definitely sounds very different and I regularly listen to those albums every now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

symbolic posted:

between the second half of Pull Me Under and the bass intro to Panic Attack, Dream Theater have combined almost made one great song

lol i was just thinking this too

i will totally listen to Panic Attack a lot and really get into it before I start getting bored with the second half

The rest of DT is ok i guess

I did see Petrucci and Portnoy once though and that was fun mostly because of Portnoy