Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I like the new Mastodon a whole lot but then the only other album of theirs I really got into was Crack the Skye because I'm not very true metal.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for whatever the hell genre The Hunter / Crack The Skye are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo this stuff is literally 10x worse than I expected it to be. God it's embarrassing I am literally cringing. If you really do need to be cooler/cleverer than I am to think this is anything but unlistenable nonsense then honestly I am happy in my ignorance.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm getting sick of people not including Symphonic Epic Female Fronted Alternative Gothic Djent in their genre lists. I mean what is this, 1994? Open up already.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Finlands Sexiest posted:

Lulu is pretty horrible. Metallica's next collaboration seems interesting though.

Holy gently caress this is just perfect. The funny thing is it's not a million miles away from what Lulu actually sounds like at all.

Has anyone here listened to the entire album all the way through yet? I got 2 songs in and had to give up.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Since the new single came out, I pre-empted the 'they aren't metal' debate by making a Nightwish thread here if you're brave enough to admit your guilty pleasure.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hellwuzzat posted:

Diggin' Austere, Grey Waters, and Woods of Desolation. Just what I need for the dead of winter in :canada:

Grey Waters is totally my favourite and he's put it on hiatus :argh:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who's read for some over the top theatrical bullshit?!

...Although it's a post 'Unia' album so it also won't make any sense.

01. Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
02. Shitload of Money
03. Losing My Insanity
04. Somewhere Close To You
05. I Have A Right
06. Alone In Heaven
07. The Day
08. Cinderblox
09. Don't Be Mean
10. Wildfire II
11. Wildfire III

'Shitload of Money' and 'Don't Be Mean'? This is going to be bonkers. It's due May 18th.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Misogynist posted:

Well, at least Tony Kakko and Tuomas Holopainen are back to trying to one-up each other again.

Kakko wins for acknowledging how lovely it's all got, how it's all for the money (Shitload of money) and what he hopes the reviewers will do. (Don't be mean)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Another track from the new Anathema album is streamable here. It's not really metal in any way but it's pretty good. The vibe is still similar to We're Here but I'd say it's got a slight Silent Enigma feel to it too.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but OSI are loving cool as poo poo and a song off their new album is online for streaming. It's heavier than their older stuff I think so maybe it fits here?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I thought you guys might be able to come up with some awful lyrics but you did a bad job because nobody even posted any Nightwish.

The treetops, the chimneys, the snowbed stories, winter grey
Wildflowers, those meadows of heaven, wind in the wheat
A railroad across waters, the scent of grandfatherly love
Blue bayous, Decembers, moon through a dragonfly's wings

grandfatherly love

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh boy here we go

First single off Sonata Arctica's new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc2upc_erQ

No computer is powerful enough to tally the number of times the chorus appears in this song.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The Grey Waters EP 'Below The Ever Setting Sun' gave me a kind of Alcest/Katatonia vibe.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you're only checking out one track from Sonata Arctica's new album, make it Cinderblox. It has a banjo. It has a bunch of banjo.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Daedra posted:

New Sonata Arctica is miles above Days of Grey because it was dogshit, but jesus what happened?

They got bored of making the same album 5 times, so they made one album with 5 album's worth of ideas on it (Unia) and that pretty much exhausted their creative pool.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is it wrong of me to enjoy the latest Circus Maximus album?

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Nine/7926741

The second one was mediocre but I liked their debut, it was the right mix of keyboards without going all Dream Theater wankiness.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

His album Storm Seeker is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AKursvupQ

That's it. I'm not a review writer or anything. I'm just enjoying the hell out of this record.

Thanks for this, I'm enjoying it a lot. If anyone knows of any similar stuff, ideally with clean vocals like this, I'd like to hear it.

The Arcturus / Borknagar influences are strong but not overpowering which is nice.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The great M posted:

Does anyone have Arjen Lucassen's Lost in the new Real? How is it?

I've been meaning to get it, but so far I didn't really care for his stuff outside of Ayreon and Star One.

It's really cheesy but it's also very well done and enjoyable. His cover of Floyd's 'Welcome To The Machine' is great.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dead Letters from the new Katatonia album is on Youtube (legally).

It's less doomy and slow than their older stuff, but I think it's great. It's more progressive metal which is nice!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Samples from Devin Townsend's upcoming Epicloud are on Youtube courtesy of the man himself. Sounds pretty good if you like classic Devin. The remake of Kingdom sounds fantastic.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I always dreamed I'd be alive to post this album artwork.

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ask him why he's switched the focus away from interesting guitar work and onto the orchestra.

Maybe yell at him that Oceanborn is their best work and it's time to drop the 500 layers of violins.

Man now I miss the good old days. Once was a good album but it was the beginning of the end :smith:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

nerve posted:

This is my favorite Machinae Supremacy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX_DRC1O0A

Me too! Oh man I wish they'd re-do this on a studio album so much.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IRQ posted:

I went to Progpower a few times and there's usually at least one really out of place band.

Solution .45 is the guy who quit Scar Symmetry, so they're going to be kind of out of place too. It's loud from the start so be careful!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nordick posted:

Machinae Supremacy put up a song from their upcoming new album, and by god I loving love it. These guys haven't lost their sense of melody, and I adore the cheesy synth sound. Guddamn fun track, I can't wait to get the album.

This song is fine but why did they take a step backwards on the production? A View From The End Of The World has the best production of anything they've done, but they've gone backwards on it. The guitars aren't as awfully fuzzy as they were on Overworld but it's still not a good sign :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I know a few people were looking forward to it, so here's the title track of the upcoming Machinae Supremacy album. It's not as catchy power metally as Laser Speed Force, but it's good. Really good if you like bleep bloop.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Machinae continue their cycle of great album (Redeemer) bad album (Overworld) great album (View From The End Of The World) bad album then.

I preferred it when the songs had video game references rather than just be flat out about games. Imagine listening to this and having a friend ask you what the song is called and having to answer 'Republic Of Gamers'.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I LIKE DISNEY time to release multiple albums and a feature film to remind everyone of that fact.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dream Theater are a band that would benefit hugely from someone not in the band saying 'Don't do that it sounds loving awful'. A huge pool of talent that consistently made awful decisions about their content. Images And Words is fantastic, obviously, and I think Awake, Scenes and the new album are all great examples of what some restraint and focus on the song and not technical ability will do.

They had a WE GOTTA BE METAL stage, in which they made the acceptable Train Of Thought, the weird keyboardy Muse-ish Octavarium (which I actually quite like), the horrible piece of poo poo Systematic Chaos (with their worst song ever on it, and that is saying something!) and the forgettable Black Clouds.That was the worst, and it was pretty much Portnoy's doing. If only Adrenaline Mob had formed in 2001. :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IRQ posted:

Whoa there, Dream Theater's worst song was The Count of Tuscany, come on we all know that. THERE WAS A CAR CRASH, EVERYONE WAS FINE!

That was 'A Nightmare To Remember'. Count Of Tuscany was actually a decent song, especially the last 4 minutes, but it did contain 'LET ME INTRODUCE, MY BROTHER. A BITTER MAN. HISTORIAN!' which is amazing.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I met Herman Li at Bloodstock festival in about 2007. He wasn't even playing and he spent the entire day chatting to fans which I thought was kinda cool, but he also wouldn't leave people who weren't interested allowed. Demoniac was pretty cool but yeah.

edit: For those who don't want to hear him waffle on, what part in the video is where he gets mad?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

nuncle jimbo posted:

Yeah, he didn't seem mad.

That said, obligatory -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIUfqKcakE

That reminded me of this Petrucci parody which is just great. Anyone know of any others?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone know a good upcoming concerts finder? I live in Tokyo and all the Japanese language sites focus on Japanese bands predominantly, and even pretty big bands with large followings over here like Dream Theater or Arch Enemy aren't appearing on searches. If anyone knows a site that has a searchable database by location I'd really appreciate it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you don't think Images and Words in influential I don't know what to tell you. It's not the best progressive metal album ever, that's not what the list is about, but there will be legit 100s of metal bands who cite it as an influence. It really was definitive for it's time.

Also every time you say Dream Theater aren't metal Portnoy forms another Adrenaline Mob style band so please stop!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Cheapsteaks posted:

I concede that it's an important album and that I'm probably pretty ignorant about the prog side of metal (which you all can tell I'm sure) but I am curious which metal bands, both distant and recent, view it as an influence?

And Adrenaline Mob may blow but at least they don't do any 2 minute song piano soft ballads!

I don't have the time off the top of my head to go hunting for the mentions, but I know Opeth cited them as a DT fan.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I never thought I'd say this but this song could really use Lou Reed mumbling over the top of it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bodom put the title track Halo of Blood on Pitchfork for streaming. The single/video (Transfererence?) might be garbage but I really like this track and I really didn't expect to.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Misogynist posted:

Good to see they scraped the barrel so hard that they actually recycled their Inearthed demo from 20 years ago

If they re-recorded that demo with proper studio equipment it'd be their best release.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Orphaned Land album, All is one is out. They seem to have got rid of most of their progressive elements. It's pretty good, far better than ORwarrioR was. It's no Mabool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

1. False Awakening Suite
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. The Enemy Inside
3. The Looking Glass
4. Enigma Machine
5. The Bigger Picture
6. Behind the Veil
7. Surrender to Reason
8. Along for the Ride
9. Illumination Theory
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Source

Man I hope the drumming on this one is tight, because otherwise Blabbermouth.net is going to be exclusively filled with Portnoy ego news alerts for a year.