Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Cavauro posted:

thank you for the good faith argument but when i put quotes around "medicine" i didn't mean painkillers or any of the few actual drugs that can be absorbed into the bloodstream and take effect the same way they would orally. look into TCM with respect as i have, and learn of its many good and bad ways
It read as if you were also taking issue with the idea of medicine being rubbed on the skin.

"Smearing of Chinese medicine" is incredibly vague; is it detailed further in the study?

My point above, though, was more "cupping for muscular tightness etc is pretty well accepted as legit, as is some other stuff."

Of course, studies on acupuncture and cupping are never really going to show as much as we'd hope to learn because you can't exactly double blind them. There have been attempts at it for acupuncture, and the conclusions I've seen basically amount to "Why are we doing this? If the collapsable needle feels the same as a needle going in, then it's not inert and this is a loving pointless study." I haven't read up on cupping trials, but I would think that "powerful loving suction cup" has the same blinding limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

oldpainless posted:

The only cups I’m interested in double d’s

-Kevin Dunn, probably
fixed

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

You didn't change anything
Read it again.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

rovert posted:

Excited for more of his social experiments.
He's totally gonna claim a gotcha for teh dirtsheetz reporting the actual words that he said again, isn't he?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

is pepsi ok posted:

oh my god it just keeps getting dumber and dumber
Is leaning into being "the one UK indie going back to the round system" really the worst idea with IPW drawing as badly as it has been?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ you idiots you're all in completely agreement that Undertaker is (depressingly) a racist piece of poo poo, you're arguing with each other about something you're in complete agreement with.
Seriously, I don't understand why this thread devolved this specific way? We agree Taker is, at best, a huge chud, even if the Commando autograph specifically isn't any kind of proof thereof.

coconono posted:

except for the extant groups that operate within their aegis that re absolutely racist fashy little dick bully boys.
I think you were mistakenly taking a sarcastic post seriously.

Meanwhile, if we're adding to the Taker is a chud column, there was his wife's really weird reaction when someone asked about her about his political donations (which, like for anyone, are public record and can easily be found on sites like OpenSecrets):

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1137847011766689792

And as MRT pointed out to me, some of his Insta likes that have been screencapped ARE explicitly racist:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1137811800546828289

(Are people less careful about IG likes because it isn't as easy to curate them there? Whereas on Twitter there's a big public tab on your profile.)

Also:

It was alluded to briefly earlier, but...as weird as it may sound, you can't really use racist wrestlers being nice to minority wrestlers as proof that the racist wrestler isn't a racist. You can use proof of the racist wrestler being a racist at work (Terry Taylor, Paul Orndorff, whoever) as proof they ARE a racist, but some wrestlers are huge racists who are also surprisingly into wrestler brotherhood stuff, I guess, for lack of a better term?

Most infamously, there's that story that I need to remember to refresh my memory on the origin of (shoot interview or whatever): Dick Murdoch is at a bar with other wrestlers, including...I think it was Tony Atlas? Dick Murdoch was, of course, a klansman, something that both his BFF (Dusty Rhodes) and others less fond of him (like Tito Santana) have confirmed, so it's not like it was a smear. Anyway, some random racist rear end in a top hat calls Black Wrestler Who Might Be Tony Atlas the N-word, and Murdoch immediately freaks out screaming "YOU CAN'T TALK TO MY FRIEND LIKE THAT!" Cue bar-clearing brawl. So...yeah?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

You might remember that LA Park made his avatar eating rear end awhile back.

Ciber The Main Man has took things to the next level by tweeting a video of a dog eating out a woman, but deleted it shortly after.

This has been your lucha libre update for 6/10.
...what?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

...who's Ciber the Main Man?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that supposed to be Meltzer
Yes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352690482769?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

quote:

"MELTZER MAGOO" - Vince Russo (WWE, WCW, TNA) Original Painting. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.

16x20 Origial Artwork by Former WWE/WCW/TNA Head Writer/Producer/Talent Vince Russo. This picture portrays one of Russo's Nemesis over the years, Dirt Sheet Writer "Meltzer Magoo". This IS a ONE OF A KIND!!!
Remember: In spite of his claims otherwise, the "Magoo" thing came from him comparing their noses (because of course he'd fixate on that with Meltzer) on one of the very first episodes of his stupid castration podcast. It's a literally a white supremacist painting...and it's up to $301.00 with 21 bids just a few hours into a 10 day auction.

As awful as Wrestling Twitter and the like can get, we do need to remember that outside of his circle, we've had, thankfully, far less outright racist chud encroachment than one would ever expect from the outside. Thank goodness for small favors, but he really is the ringleader of the worst and it's fascinating how his audience is basically disaffected self-loathing wrestling fans who are too stupid and/or lazy to get into more explicitly political organized racism.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

stab posted:

Aubrey is going to be a star. Having her and Bryce work our Jersey show was a real treat (both those refs own all the bones)
Live, I was blown away by how much she added to the matches she reffed Mania weekend. I had seen her on video, but live, she's clearly making the matches better, and as she showed at Double or Nothing, she's a total machine. She's the best in the business right now.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favorite lowtax moment is him and Warrior beefing

It was comedy gold. IIRC, he thought Something Lawful, the fake law firm Rich used to respond to legal threats, was real.

Warrior wasn't just ignorant. He was loving stupid. And there is a difference, so managing to be both is an accomplishment in a weird way.
FUN FACT TIME

Chris Lewis was, in fact, a real dude who worked for Warrior, even if I still have doubts that he was the one writing those emails: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6165621-Chris-Lewis-Deposition-04-22-08.html

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm not sure why it took a week and a half, but probably the reaction to this:

https://twitter.com/JordynneGrace/status/1141400837480042496

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cory Lidle posted:

It's being made into something it's not, Drew apologized and the author still isn't happy. It's almost like the point is to be outraged.
Is there a Henry reply I missed?

But yeah, I had never heard of the whole "Are traps gay?" meme/"trap" as a slur, either, until I watched the Contrapoints video a few months ago. And I had not heard it used or referenced since until this dust-up. It's not something that people are going to organically hear outside of the chan bubble and reporters etc. who cover the extremism beat.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Djarum posted:

I believe that WWE has paid for that placement on ESPN as well over the years.
Nobody has ever actually reported this. It's a misunderstanding from when Meltzer said something to the effect of "it's basically a time buy" or "it's almost like a time buy" on audio. I don't think he ever clarified it when asked, but that he didn't outright say it was a time buy implied that he was referring to how random and incongruous the SportsCenter segments were. (They were almost always in-character sit-down interviews that were completely unlike anything else on SportsCenter.)

ESPN has always been insistent that there was no formal, much less financial deal with WWE and...I kind of believe them? The SportsCenter thing seemed like a bone thrown to Coach and it was by FAR the most egregious part of ESPN's dealings with WWE.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Djarum posted:

There is something up with them. There is some sort of deal being worked out between the two at times. Money seems like the most likely reason. Like the WWE Espy thing reeks of being paid for. It looks obvious when they have an MMA award not named for and only including UFC.

Believing ESPN about nearly anything about their business is a bad idea. I can see them denying it since it makes them look incredibly bad. Effectively making paid programming without disclosing it is very, very bad. It would also ruin a lot of journalistic integrity.

WWE desperately craves to seem legit and big time. Slipping Disney some cash for coverage seems exactly something they would do. I would think the Good Morning America stuff is probably a part of the same deal.
But again, nobody has reported it. Bryan Alvarez randomly blurted out with no real context on a WOL that WWE paid for the ESPY category, but dude is not exactly a reporter anymore and, for whatever it is or isn't worth, ESPN vociferously denied that ANYONE can buy an ESPY. (And honestly, if they were paying for it, an award that's given out quickly on the red carpet seems like a waste of money.) Regardless, it's entirely justifiable to think that WWE has some kind of financial arrangement with ESPN, but there's been zero actual reporting to that effect. Plus the egregious stuff pretty much died with the SportsCenter segment ending and Coach being laid off over two years ago.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Djarum posted:

Like I said I don’t think it was with ESPN directly. I think they made an agreement with Disney. Which if they had I am not surprised no one has reported on it since unless you had access to a signed contract it is very hard to prove. Dave is very, very careful to not report on things he doesn’t have proof or sources on. This would be something that both sides involved would be tight lipped about.

It is very interesting how they always have WWE champions after Mania and the like on GMA instead of the Today Show which is owned by NBC. Same as the interview with Roman after he came back from Leukemia. Like the Espy and weird ESPN coverage it is all very odd and strange since they have no business relationship. ESPN is very famous for ignoring sports that they have no relationship with the NHL is the most obvious example of this.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
Yeah, the bigger gestures are definitely very out of character for ESPN if there's no business deal. That said...is there ANY precedent for something like this at ESPN? Or would this be a first?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

lost my old email posted:

andre, giant silva & the big nasty had/have gigantism and they do not have the silhouette of a skeleton wearing a barrel
I've seen speculation that Baba and Pak Song, who looked similar, had something else going on, like Marfan's Syndrome, but I don't think I've ever seen it stated factually with any kind of citation.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Is that last one Danny Drake? It's the one that looks closest to a murder.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

Why do you want him to sue Chapo out of existence?
That would be good actually.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

punk go on between the sheets
That's also a terrible idea.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Even 1980s rubes were no where near as dumb as the wrestlers just automatically assumed they were.

I vaguely remember hearing about a poll in a southern newspaper in either the late 70s or early 80s asking if people still thought wrestling was real and everyone in the Georgia Championship Wrestling locker room expected about 80% to think it was real and then it turned out about 80% knew it was fixed outcomes. Who cares? I'm not expected to stop watching Luther because it's a fictional TV show and no real world polis would get away with doing what he does.

Jim Cornette is dumb and mad because a younger generation no longer view every single thing in wrestling as carnies with absolute contempt for their audience. poo poo is dumb.
The story as I remember it being told was that it was one of the main JCP towns in the early '80s, Ole guessed it would be something like 90%+ thinking it was real "because our work was so realistic," and only something like 1% thought so in the actual poll. So much more damning than you actually remembered it being. NintendoLogic at PWO, though, posted a few weeks ago that he found the actual newspaper and it's not at all as it's been described:

quote:

You guys know how Dave likes to claim that no one during wrestling's heyday thought it was real and cites as evidence a poll conducted in the 80s by the Charlotte Observer that found that only 1 percent of the audience thought it was real? Well, I went into the Charlotte Observer archives, and the real story is quite a bit different. First off, the poll was conducted in 1990. More importantly, while only 1 percent of respondents thought wrestling was "very real," 21 percent thought it was "somewhat real." 72 percent said it was "not at all real" while 6 percent had no answer. The poll's margin of error was plus or minus four points, so that means that even as late as 1990, roughly a quarter of the population of the wrestling hotbed of North Carolina had yet to be smartened up. That's obviously nowhere close to a majority, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of ticket sales came from that sliver of the population. To me, that's pretty clear evidence despite all the protestations to the contrary that wrestling's appeal has historically been rooted in the perception of realism.
John McAdam tells a similar stories involving an annual Busch breweries sports poll including a question like "is pro wrestling real or fake" circa 1989, but I haven't been able to find any clippings about it.

As for the larger conversation:

Yes, Cornette has gotten considerably more mean-spirited and annoying lately and it's gotten really grating. He's less willing than ever to admit getting something wrong or see different points of view. He's increasingly mean spirited and crude when he disagrees with someone. It's stuff that was always there, but they've gotten more pronounced as the more likable elements have been eroding Hell, even stuff like his odd, increasingly frequent insistence on comparing everything to anal rape has gotten uncomfortable to listen to.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I had no idea who this dude was so I googled him and found some footage of him jobbing to Riddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lenuzt0A2k

Just not an ounce of personality or psychology to him. Just another incredibly generic white bearded roidgut with a receding hairline. Like a prototype Curtis Axel without the self awareness. I guess he's called Mr Scenic City and I don't know where that's supposed to be or what that means. Riddle looks great though.
Others could tell the story better than me, but:

Gunner was a legit good prospect who was really over with Chattanooga area indie crowds from his time playing football at UTC. Won the second annual SCI and had the aforementioned really fun match with Riddle to open night two in year three. But then he hosed up his knee and didn't take it well.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Why does Oney tweet in all caps, anyway?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The Ribera jackets have been available to spendy fans for at least 20 years, including directly from the steakhouse. RF even had two at his Wrestlecon table this year.

Lone Goat posted:

since when are eggs dairy?
It's part of the dairy section of the supermarket. I can see how they got off on the initial tangent.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 15, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Both of those happen to be from weeks where I misplaced my good shaver and stalker weirdos pounced, including one dude literally popping up and shoving a camera/flash in my face while I was talking to someone after the AIW Jersey City show. But because I keep photos offline for the most part for "weirdos exploited the old Photobucket trick to deface photos of me and my grandfather" reasons, the shittiest possible ones getting posted by trolls (combined with I'm guessing some weird Google AI poo poo elevating real photos above the non-photos I've used as social avatars), the REALLY lovely ones got elevated greatly in search. I am in wholehearted agreement that all of the hair on my person from head to toe grows too curly to bother growing a beard.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry that some assholes did that to you Bix. Your article was really good by the way and the fact the only thing some people online seemed to have to counter it with was,"Yeah? ....well I don't like the way you look!" is pretty telling.
Thanks. While I do think I probably should have framed my tweet after the initial Moose tweet a little differently—I tried not to frame it flippantly and kind of failed, even if it could have been worse—the stated reason (he has no other options at this point when his deal is up) is clearly the reason why he was literally the only Impact roster member to have a public freakout over the article. (Privately, I only got positive feedback; including some "of COURSE that's why he was pissed" stuff after the Moose stuff started.) And if I had not fleshed out the why of why he has no options, someone would have asked, I would have answered, and it probably still would have devolved from there.

The self-identified Impact Fans (you can tell from their Twitter bios, the same way that other bio traits are red flags), well, they were always going to lose their poo poo for no actual reason. Especially after the comments last year bashing me for thinking Slammiversary was great for "taking too long to like Impact." The only thing I've seen that even vaguely resembled a fully-formed idea was that I didn't include/make an effort to get their Canadian/British/Indian/South African TV ratings. Which...it was an article that was part about American TV, part about talent and money issues. So...uh...OK.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN posted:

I’d shag you Bixxxy.
so are we pals now

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Pinche Rudo posted:

Lacey's really working the white privilege aspect of her gimmick
Random, but this reminded me about it:

Does anyone have any idea just how many matches she worked before signing? She was a wrestler for two years or so, but for promotions too obscure to make Cagematch. And outside of her Wikipedia page, nobody ever even mentions her having previous experience outside of the story of her being a piece of poo poo to Effy and she's still super green.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 23, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The_Rob posted:

JR go on cum town
The only time I ever listened to that show, it was massively anti-Semitic and was basically the beginning of the end of me listening to any of the "dirtbag left" shows. I'm trying to figure out if JR would be a good fit and feel like an answer in either direction would make me an rear end in a top hat.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sorry the cops are already on duty, they're arresting Kenny Omega for his overt GG sympathies
...he has overt Gamergate sympathies?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It's weird seeing people question whether or not it's a coming out tweet, because it looks more and more like one every time I read it. If it's not, we'll all feel like jackasses, but I kind of get the feeling that he just kind of finally decided to do it in the afterglow of the show last night.

As for Al Snow, and training:

He had a pretty decent rep as a trainer in the '90s, even if he produced very few names beyond Blue Meanie. And as noted above, who makes a good trainer often has zero to do with how good or even accomplished a wrestler you are. Mr. Hughes has a great rep as a teacher. So does Billy Gunn. In Chris Jericho's first book, he takes shots at how carny Keith Hart's school was while also praising how good a trainer random-assed referee Ed Langley turned out to be. But Snow is not only a bitter prick and a giant hypocrite in light of how he made his name (becoming an early indie darling in workrate matches after 12 years going nowhere on the midwest scene; that run with Sabu et al and the joke he cracked at UFC 4 got him his SMW job), but he also hasn't really produced anyone of note in a LONG time. Who are the best guys to come out of his OVW? Crimson and Mike Hayes?

davidbix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 1, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Well, we all feel like jackasses, even if "I love you" and "share my life" sound couple-y as gently caress. But Jack also just turned 22 so one can easily see how he'd be inelegant at social media.

coconono posted:

I thought Jake was dating Parrow anyway
Unless something changed very recently, no. Parrow's married to a guy who's not Jake Atlas.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

It mostly reads as a coming out tweet because we have really dumb ideas about friendship between two men.
I honestly wouldn't have thought it was one without "share my life," though. And I think that was the clincher for most people.

(Also, if you look at the replies and quote tweets, there were a *lot* from Gay Wrestling Twitter, so this wasn't just dumb straight dudes like me reading it that way.)

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 2, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

karmicknight posted:

Is Flips gimmick now committing war crimes?
Apparently, when they do the gas mask test exercises, the room they use IS called a "gas chamber" in spite of the many obvious reasons to either not do that or at least call it a "tear gas chamber." The one we're all thinking of is the dictionary and encyclopedic definition, but yes, the army stupidly uses it in the training context, too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

most of the confusion comes from people paraphrasing speculation and posting it on Reddit and sheetz sites as factual reporting to get clicks. like people saying he said Roman was faking leukemia when you can read the tweets and listen to audio for two minutes and see that he said the complete opposite. he has odd phrasing and speech patterns but he really isn't that difficult to understand if you pay even a bit of attention
It's part that, but he also has a bad habit of assuming everyone knows exactly what he's thinking when he does the "read between the lines" bit, especially on Twitter. We've read him enough to know what this tweet means (that WWE brass was intentionally vague about Reigns' particular diagnosis because they felt it would get him more sympathy than if they were upfront about the survival rate), but this was really not a good idea, all things considered:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1105873643941195776

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN posted:

Disagree.

If you're tweeting Dave, you know enough about WWE to figure out why they kept it vague. They are the worst and they're transparent about it. Only kids don't know this and they're not tweeting at Big Dave.
I'm with you to a point, but on an internet where a disturbingly high number of people thought that Reigns faked having cancer in part because they didn't know that cancers like his existed, Dave's tweet and the similar comments on WOR didn't help matters at all.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I have actually seen people use "one of the good ones" decently often in contexts where there absolutely wouldn't be racism, but that's also because they were smart enough to not say it about minorities.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

lol this is one of those tweets that I hope gets quoted years into the future
At least in the case of Dave, the fans took him over the top after HHH handpicked him to be a future star. Why? Great in-ring? Great speaking? In Rhodes' smaty record to WWE experience in 8,000.

---

Angle mentioned that he did wrestle in the Olympics and in WrestleMania with similar injuries. This leader it's character girl. She's not 25 years old any longer. Even though Angle seems to get injured every few months, his long-term is something that has almost been taken for granted...

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Has anyone with a contract/TV promotion other than Ethan Page expressed solidarity with/support for ACH yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if dave meltzer did not exist we would have to build him
That's not Dave.