Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm looking forward to that Question omnibus out in April

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I didn't catch this news until now, but Marvel announced the release of an omnibus of the 1990's X-Men Animated Series comic adaptation.

All I can say is this:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it does make sense the cartoon is getting a revival

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Hi Goons

I got a question and not sure if this is the right thread. I don't really read comics but something compelled me back in 2015 to buy the Marvel Star Wars Volume 1 Omnibus, probably that it has that funny version of Jabba the Hutt in it. Fast forward to 2022 and it's still on my shelf sealed.

In a act of boredom I decided to look up it's worth and it's worth about $250. I'm wondering a few things:

1. I'm not in a rush to sell it, would it be beneficial for me to hold onto it or take advantage of the market while it's hot?

2. If I do hold onto it, what's a good way to protect it since it's a very heavy book

3. If I sell it, should I get it graded first?

4. If I sell it where should I, eBay?

I appreciate your help!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

JordanKai posted:

I didn't catch this news until now, but Marvel announced the release of an omnibus of the 1990's X-Men Animated Series comic adaptation.

All I can say is this:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: that's funny

I sort of take it personally every time Marvel announces another omni and it's not UXM5. They just keep not soliciting it at me

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JordanKai posted:

All I can say is this:

I've got an original page from that series somewhere.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Hi Goons

I got a question and not sure if this is the right thread. I don't really read comics but something compelled me back in 2015 to buy the Marvel Star Wars Volume 1 Omnibus, probably that it has that funny version of Jabba the Hutt in it. Fast forward to 2022 and it's still on my shelf sealed.

In a act of boredom I decided to look up it's worth and it's worth about $250. I'm wondering a few things:

1. I'm not in a rush to sell it, would it be beneficial for me to hold onto it or take advantage of the market while it's hot?

2. If I do hold onto it, what's a good way to protect it since it's a very heavy book

I appreciate your help!

Reprints happen all the time, but who knows if your book is ever going to be on that list.

What do you mean by protect? You can have your books sitting on a shelf and it'll be fine. Someplace not too hot or humid would be best. Pages wrinkle with the humidity, glue and spine gets weird if it's been baking

I don't know of any services that grade omnibuses. 100% of the stuff that I've seen is literally pictures of all sides of the book.

eBay is your best bet for highest dollar amount. If not, local book stores, or on the SA-Mart!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Sweet thank you for the response and I'll look more into it.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Hi Goons

I appreciate your help!

1. If it goes for about $250, that's towards the upper end of how much OOP omnis go for, so it's probably not going to get much more valuable. And if it ever gets reprinted, the value goes down to around what you pick up the new version for.
2. Just leave it on a shelf.
3. No such thing as getting an omnibus graded.
4. r/comicswap or there's a couple facebook groups for collecting and selling hardcovers/omnis.

radlum
May 13, 2013

JordanKai posted:

All I can say is this:

I just got Vol 4 to complete my collection and to see the gap between Vol 4 and Mutant Massacre makes me want Vol 5 even more.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Casyl posted:

1. If it goes for about $250, that's towards the upper end of how much OOP omnis go for, so it's probably not going to get much more valuable. And if it ever gets reprinted, the value goes down to around what you pick up the new version for.
2. Just leave it on a shelf.
3. No such thing as getting an omnibus graded.
4. r/comicswap or there's a couple facebook groups for collecting and selling hardcovers/omnis.

That's extremely good to know. I'll look into off loading this then if $250 is about the max.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
A few upcoming releases:

Miracleman Omnibus: Alan Moore's complete run in one volume.

Shuna's Journey: Miyazaki's 1983 OGN gets an official English translation.

Tops: Charles Biro's 1949 attempt at a comic for adults, it ran only two oversized issues.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Finally. Gwenpool omnibus has been announced.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I've been wanting a Gwenpool omnibus for so long, this is great news.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

House of M omnibus has been announced. The event was decent, but the main arc’s artwork was wonderful.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't like the event omnibuses. The tie-ins for event books are always of such varying quality that if I did like the event I'd much rather get an OSHC of the main book only if I wanted it in a premium format.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah most of the HoM ties ins were extremely disposable.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, i'll be skipping this one. Totally satisfied with my HoM OSHC

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yeah most of the HoM ties ins were extremely disposable.

+1 on this take. House of M's tie-ins are some of the most inessential tie-ins Marvel has ever put out despite there being so many of them. You can stick to the main comic itself and get a good, perfectly self-contained and enjoyable narrative out of it. It's a shame they'll probably never reprint the old OHC.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Is there any particular reason why I can't find the Brubaker Captain America Lives omni on IST? There's no email explanation

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

Is there any particular reason why I can't find the Brubaker Captain America Lives omni on IST? There's no email explanation

PRH claims release date is next week, 3/15.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Casyl posted:

PRH claims release date is next week, 3/15.

Much obliged :clint:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

After years of creating a collection, selling the collection and re-collecting again, I think I'm pretty close to going all digital. I think the plan is to prune off the collection to things I *really* love, selling off everything else.

How's digital life like? I'm on the fence because of a few things....

1. Availability. I'm assuming DC & Marvel wouldn't be an issue, but would books like Upgrade Soul from Lion Forge be available digital? Or other small publishers?
2. Permanence. Do the issues suffer from the same things that digital games do? Like some games might be pulled and not be available anymore?
3. Apps. I use Steam because it has the largest community, does digital comics have the same thing?
4. Pricing. Is digital cheaper than physical? On IST I usually buy at 42% off cover, are there sales like this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You will wanna read this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=153&perpage=40

Warning, Amazon, who owned the main digital comics store Comixology, recently reuploaded everything as an Amazon store that, frankly, sucks in many ways. The most recent comments are people being super annoyed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

You will wanna read this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=153&perpage=40

Warning, Amazon, who owned the main digital comics store Comixology, recently reuploaded everything as an Amazon store that, frankly, sucks in many ways. The most recent comments are people being super annoyed.

Oh that is terrible. Really off putting since you know, it's just a reader app.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Digital comics are in the worst spot they've been in about a decade right now as a direct result of the Comixology library being pushed onto the Amazon storefront. :(

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, a month ago the answer to all of your questions was yes, use comixology (I'm reading upgrade soul through it). Now.... It's still yes but a lot worse.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
More tales of non-uniform spines:

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 1, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
as someone with half of Lil Abner, sometimes it's just nice to get that stuff in print again

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh no. My copy of Low is like that too.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Action Jacktion posted:

More tales of non-uniform spines:

Aughh the Fantagraphics logo change on these makes me insane every time I look at my shelves. They only had like 10 volumes to go, whyyyy couldn't they just leave the logo alone on this series? I almost got stuck with the mis-matched Marvel Omnibus spines for the Lee/Kirby FF reprints, but I sold my old volume 1 and then got the new printing just so it'd match the new spines for 2,3,& 4. May have to look into printing stickers with the old Fantagraphics logo or something to fix the Barks Library at some point

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Andy Khouri (comic editor and formerly of Comics Alliance) is selling a bunch of stuff including some HCs. Thought it might be of interest to the thread:
https://www.andykhouri.com/khollection

Those BPRD HCs are really tempting.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Where the hell does Marvel get off charging €40 for the 230-page Jason Aaron hardcovers (Thor vol. 5 and Avengers vol. 2)? I think this is the worst value proposition Marvel has ever offered in the OHC space. :mad:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Marvel's just 'spensive. I just bought the Killraven Epic Collection and that was loving $45. DC's a bit better about it, and I understand it's a business, but I do wish that collections were like, $5 cheaper across the board. I'd probably spend a bit more than I do now, even. Two books for $50 feels a lot better to me than one for $45.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Another Barnes & Noble 25% off pre-order sale: code PREORDER25 at checkout, ends Friday April 22.
(Monstress Book Two, anyone?)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ready to part with a bunch of stuff, prices are shipped and I'm not splitting up sets. Everything is is fantastic shape, I've babied my books.

Album here
https://imgur.com/a/PZ77tmF

Daredevil by Brubaker vol 1-2 $150
Animal Man Omnibus $65 SOLD
Doom Patrol (sealed) $90SOLD
X-Men AOA Set $150
Cap by Kirby (sealed) $50
Deadpool/Cable (sealed) $150 DIBBED
Y the Last Man HC 1-5 $95
Geoff Johns GL Omni 1-2 $110
DMZ HC 1-5 $175
Ex Machina HC 1-5 $120
Batman by Snyder HC set $125
Flash by Johns 1-3 HC $140
JSA by Johns Omni 1-3 HC $200
Fantastic Four Omnibus (Kirby Sealed) 1-2 $135 SOLD
Captain America Omnibus Lot $300
Incredible Hercules OSHC $30
Tomb of Dracula V3 - $150
Thor vol1 - $65
SHIELD - $125
New Avengers V1 - $90 (little dinged)
Avengers V1 - $125
New Warriors V1 - $60
Absolute Planetary 1-2 $95

Pic of additions to original post

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 9, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ready to part with a bunch of stuff, prices are shipped and I'm not splitting up sets. Everything is is fantastic shape, I've babied my books.

Album here

Animal Man Omnibus $65
Doom Patrol (sealed) $90
X-Men AOA Set $150
Deadpool/Cable (sealed) $150
DMZ HC 1-5 $175
Ex Machina HC 1-5 $120

More to come.

Can I call dibs on Deadpool/Cable? I want to wait until you post the rest of your stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

Can I call dibs on Deadpool/Cable? I want to wait until you post the rest of your stuff.

It's gonna be at least a week before I can get anything else pulled out. This was just the stuff I was certain I was ready to let go.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

Album here

Animal Man Omnibus $65
Doom Patrol (sealed) $90
X-Men AOA Set $150
Deadpool/Cable (sealed) $150
DMZ HC 1-5 $175
Ex Machina HC 1-5 $120

More to come.

I'm gonna call dibs on Animal Man/Doom Patrol and I'd like to see what else comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually I should be able to get more up tomorrow or Tuesday. I have a large pile of storage bins in front of my main shelves, I can move all of those to the main room and access the rest.