Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

I appreciate the responses though I'm still confused. OPB has Excalibur vol 2 as being available on 11/2/21 but it got pushed. I assume that its true release date was this past Tuesday but its one of those books that hasn't reached IST yet due to the delay discussed in that email from IST..?

Yep. Exactly what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
How many Omnibuses (omnibi?) would cover Claremont’s original X-Men run. I was thinking of selling my Epic Collections and going to omnibus for Claremont’s run but I wonder how many volumes would that be

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well currently there are 9 omnibuses that cover the Claremont’s run with at very least 1 more coming out for 194-209 maybe two

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

radlum posted:

How many Omnibuses (omnibi?) would cover Claremont’s original X-Men run. I was thinking of selling my Epic Collections and going to omnibus for Claremont’s run but I wonder how many volumes would that be

I have a few of the Claremont omnibuses (Inferno, the Jim Lee collections) and I prefer the readability of the epic collections, maybe we can work something out.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Casyl posted:

Yep. Exactly what happened.

:thanks:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Right now for Claremont omnibuses you have:

1)Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 1 which covers Giant-Sized X-Men #1, then UXM #94-131 and Annual 3
2) Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 2 which covers #132-153 along with Annuals #4 & #5 and some sprinkled in extra appearances like Avengers Annual #10, Marvel Fanfare #1-4, Bizarre Adventures #27, etc.
3) Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 3 which covers #154-175 along with Annuals #6-7, God Loves Man Kills, Wolverine #1-4, and Magik #1-4 (these last two are also in the Wolverine and NM omnibuses respectively)
4) Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 4 which covers UXM #176-193, Annual #8, Kitty Pryde & Wolverine #1-6, the Art Adams X-Men & Alpha Flight two parter, and Marvel Fanfare #40.

And as a supplement,

5) X-Men Classic Omnibus which includes the backup stories and revised pages from Classic X-Men #1-44.

From there things get a little screwy for a bit as the format shifts to covering the whole mutant line rather than just UXM for a bit before dovetailing back.

6) The Mutant Massacre omni covers UXM #210-219, Annual #11, X-Factor #9-17 and Annual #2, New Mutants #46, a bunch of crossovers, the Roger Stern(ish) written X-Men v. Avengers #1-4 and the Claremont written Fantastic Four v. X-Men #1-4.

7) Fall of the Mutants covers UXM #220-227, New Mutants #55-61, X-Factor #18-26 and some other stuff.

8) Inferno Prologue covers UXM #228-238 and Annual #12, X-Factor #27-32 and Annual #3, New Mutants #62-70 and Annual #4, and a bit more bonus stuff.

9) Inferno in omnibus format actually squashes together the old Inferno HC and the old Inferno Crossovers HC so you wind up with an odd split between the actual X-centric crossover and then the back half of the book being a whole mess of Marvel Universe arcs, some of them better than others. But if you're simply reading for X-stuff, that will include UXM #239-243, X-Factor #33-40, New Mutants #71-73, and X-Terminators #1-4.

So those four big event omnis cover a fairly big stretch of Claremont's run, but are also very much Simonson collections too. Which ymmv on, I like Weezie's 80s work a lot, even the fairly meandering New Mutants stuff, but you are paying for a lot of non-Claremont material.

From THERE we dovetail back a bit as the parade of crossovers eases up a bit. This has an odd side-effect-- it means that X-Tinction Agenda is not currently around in an omnibus.

10) X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim Lee vol. 1 covers UXM #244-269 and Annual #13
11) X-Men by Chris Claremont & JIm Lee vol. 2 covers UXM #273-280, X-Factor #63-70, X-Men #1-11, and Ghost Rider #26-27. This is also a bit wonky because while Claremont wrote some of those X-Factor issues, others were written by Simonson on one end and Peter David on the other, he only wrote the first three issues of X-Men, and he famously stops writing UXM mid-issue in #279. There is also a hell of a lot in these two omnis that is not drawn by Lee but I get why his name is on the covers.

So that gets you up through his early 90s departure from Marvel. The big elephants in the room are of course X-Tinction Agenda which should fall neatly between the two Claremont/Lee omnis, and UXM #193-210. People have mapped out this latter gap in all sorts of persuasive ways, some including the first chunk of X-Factor, the Ice-Man mini, Beauty & the Beast, the Cockrum Nightcrawler mini, etc., but we won't know anything for sure until Marvel makes an announcement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah uncanny volume five is gonna be weird as with the suggestions I’ve heard it will contain less than ten X-men issues

radlum
May 13, 2013
This is messier than I expected, though I understand why. I think I’ll stick to the epic collections for a while.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Seeing a lot of people ITT pretending the Xtreme X-Men omnibus isn't coming out later this year. :nono:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

JordanKai posted:

Seeing a lot of people ITT pretending the Xtreme X-Men omnibus isn't coming out later this year. :nono:

Oh right, there is that. And the Revolution omni, and I THINK the stuff he ghost-wrote just prior to that is in The Twelve.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Zdarsky Howard the gently caress omni is hypothetically out next week, which is nice, since it was supposed to be months ago.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

Howard the gently caress

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It's hard to type with feathers!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The first time in history someone wanted to type "duck" so auto-correct got confused.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've read the Zdarsky run, Howard the gently caress is appropriate

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's appropriate for any Howard run, really.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Just to follow up, IST now has Excalibur omnibus volume 2 in stock along with the rest of last week's Marvel books.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there going to be a Marauders or Excalibur omnibus? Or is the OSHC the best we're going to get?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I took advantage of the Amazon 3for2 sale and got UXM Vol 1 and 3 and Vol 2 of the Claremont/Lee omnibus. I guess I’ll move my X-Men collection to HC and omnis now.

Is Vol 2 out of print and hard to get?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No all 4 of the uncanny X men omnibuses just for reprints at the beginning of the year.

I think 2 is also the cheapest you can get it from cheap graphic novels for like 60

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Is there going to be a Marauders or Excalibur omnibus? Or is the OSHC the best we're going to get?

The best information we have right now is that they have no current plans for Dawn/Reign of X omnis (David Gabriel said that in the chat of a NMC livestream several months ago). So, probably not, at least for a couple years.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, thanks to those who recommended the Matt Fraction Hawkeye omni to me, a while back! I'm not far in, but I've been having a good time with it. Loving the artstyle and humour in it. (I also liked when Clint beat up some Russian while waiting at the vet, then calmed the onlookers by saying "don't worry, I'm an Avenger"...then one of the bystanders clutching his cat asked confusedly if he was Iron Fist :v: )

Just wondering though, when does it all fit into the timeline? I'm not very familiar with the Marvel GN/comic space, so my assumption (judging from when it was first published) would be that this happened a bit after the first 'the gang's all together' MCU Avengers film, where they make it big etc, and this is just his downtime after that while everyone else is doing their own thing. I'm probably wrong though.
But another related question - it has a Kate Bishop edition before the main Hawkeye one, looks like. I assume that's a flash-forward, in relation to the main Hawkeye series of the omni? Or does that chronologically happen first, still?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering though, when does it all fit into the timeline? I'm not very familiar with the Marvel GN/comic space, so my assumption (judging from when it was first published) would be that this happened a bit after the first 'the gang's all together' MCU Avengers film, where they make it big etc, and this is just his downtime after that while everyone else is doing their own thing. I'm probably wrong though.

It takes place in the usual Marvel comics universe, sometimes called the 616 universe. Even though it has stylistic similarities, it's not that same timeline/continuity as the Marvel cinematic universe.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/hawkeye/4005-1475/

Here's a page with a bit of info and life story on the happenings with the comic version of Hawkeye. Stuff lower on that page may be considered spoilers. But he's been an Avenger for a long time before the Fraction comic takes place.

I'm not sure about the Kate continuity thing. Welcome aboard the comic (or Marvel) train!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

It takes place in the usual Marvel comics universe, sometimes called the 616 universe. Even though it has stylistic similarities, it's not that same timeline/continuity as the Marvel cinematic universe.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/hawkeye/4005-1475/

Here's a page with a bit of info and life story on the happenings with the comic version of Hawkeye. Stuff lower on that page may be considered spoilers. But he's been an Avenger for a long time before the Fraction comic takes place.

I'm not sure about the Kate continuity thing. Welcome aboard the comic (or Marvel) train!

Thanks! And yeah, I knew that there are differences within the MCU and Marvel comic continuities, but I figured they'd probably mostly kinda follow the same general timeline - although after reading some of that article it definitely seems like the comics cover a hell of a lot more ground.
We'll see how it goes, anyway! It's been pretty good so far, so hopefully Fraction has done some other works in the same universe, that I can potentially check out next. (I think I vaguely recall there being mention of him writing some Daredevil, at some point? I might be way off the mark there. Either way, that's a matter for later, at this point)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on! Mark Waid's Daredevil run is one I saw some compare to Fraction's Hawkeye, that might be the run you're thinking of. Kind of fun modern stylish jumping on point. Right now Chip Zdarsky has a Daredevil run people like, and both him and Fraction do that comic Sex Criminals.

I heartily recommend Invincible if you haven't read that by the way, it's my go-to comic in this general area.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Major Isoor posted:

We'll see how it goes, anyway! It's been pretty good so far, so hopefully Fraction has done some other works in the same universe, that I can potentially check out next. (I think I vaguely recall there being mention of him writing some Daredevil, at some point? I might be way off the mark there. Either way, that's a matter for later, at this point)

The Iron Fist joke at the start is there because Fraction cowrote Immortal Iron Fist before moving on to Hawkeye. I highly recommend it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Well, thanks to those who recommended the Matt Fraction Hawkeye omni to me, a while back! I'm not far in, but I've been having a good time with it. Loving the artstyle and humour in it. (I also liked when Clint beat up some Russian while waiting at the vet, then calmed the onlookers by saying "don't worry, I'm an Avenger"...then one of the bystanders clutching his cat asked confusedly if he was Iron Fist :v: )

But another related question - it has a Kate Bishop edition before the main Hawkeye one, looks like. I assume that's a flash-forward, in relation to the main Hawkeye series of the omni? Or does that chronologically happen first, still?

Are you referring to that one Young Avengers issue focusing on Kate? It was included because Fraction wrote that before the main Hawkeye series started, and it set up their relationship that he explored further in the Hawkeye series. Clint has been an Avenger since around 1965 (our time), so he was extremely experienced by the time Kate was created and joined up with the Young Avengers. Also, Clint was also dead for a while, which is why Kate had his bow at the time. (COMICS!)

I'll second Daredevil. Almost all the modern runs are good. The Brian Bendis/Alex Maleev run is my absolute favorite, which was followed by Ed Brubaker/Michael Lark's run. Both are very noir-influenced, but Bendis has somewhat more comic relief. Skip Andy Diggle's run, and then you get to Mark Waid's somewhat lighter, more fun Daredevil series, which was running concurrently to Fraction's Hawkeye. I think that would definitely appeal to you. After Waid came Charles Soule/Ron Garney, and then the current Chip Zdarsky/Marco Checchetto run. I think they're all pretty great.

And since you're digging Hawkeye, I will also recommend Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Fraction and Brubaker with Aja (the main Hawkeye artist).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on! Mark Waid's Daredevil run is one I saw some compare to Fraction's Hawkeye, that might be the run you're thinking of. Kind of fun modern stylish jumping on point. Right now Chip Zdarsky has a Daredevil run people like, and both him and Fraction do that comic Sex Criminals.

I heartily recommend Invincible if you haven't read that by the way, it's my go-to comic in this general area.

Waid's Daredevil is very good, although it falls a bit short after the re-numbering. I haven't read the Soule run yet, but the Bendis and Brubaker runs are stellar as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks guys - looks like I'll have a bunch to check out next! Seems like Iron Fist might be the next logical stop, but hard to say - I'll look into a little more, once I've made some proper headway into Hawkeyeguy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Don't forget McKay's mini that occurs right before Zdarsky's run on Daredevil.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cloks posted:

Don't forget McKay's mini that occurs right before Zdarsky's run on Daredevil.

I only recently found out this existed, so it will be one of the next TPBs I buy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Oof, it looks like I missed out on the Wolverine & The X-Men omnibus. Too many good OHCs coming out at the same time and I had to bet on which ones would remain in stock for a long time, and I bet wrong. People with small wallets are once again being discriminated against. :arghfist::(

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Oof, it looks like I missed out on the Wolverine & The X-Men omnibus. Too many good OHCs coming out at the same time and I had to bet on which ones would remain in stock for a long time, and I bet wrong. People with small wallets are once again being discriminated against. :arghfist::(

:same:

I'm working on getting all of the mutant related omnis so that I can read them all in order from X-Men vol 1 and I've had to just concentrate on the earlier books. Later stuff can wait, I guess

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun210766/wolverine-x-men-by-aaron-omnibus-hc-bachalo-cvr-new-ptg

This?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an original printing I would sell you for less than that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Alas, I don't live in the US. This thing is almost certainly going to cost me more than $77 as a result. :retrogames:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where do you live? Maybe we can figure something out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Where do you live? Maybe we can figure something out.

I live in the Netherlands, so I'm afraid it's going to be a no-go. Shipping + import taxes are going to end up costing more than the book itself. :sweatdrop:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JordanKai posted:

I live in the Netherlands, so I'm afraid it's going to be a no-go. Shipping + import taxes are going to end up costing more than the book itself. :sweatdrop:

I'll bring a copy next time I'm in Groningen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Don't know about the Netherlands specifically, but most countries don't charge taxes on books.