Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
First up I'd like to thank Glenn Danzig for providing me with a 'how to spot sewn binding' guide in the last thread.

Secondly I'd like to make fun of all the silly ways he tries to pluralise the word 'omnibus' when it's already a plural.

Thirdly a thank you to Rhyno for checking out whether the Wolverine omnibus is out of print or not as it seems to have vanished from the UK (hopefully temporarily).

Fourthly - I just got my Acts of Vengeance cross-over omnibus from amazon.co.uk for a verging-on-mispriced £27 so thank to whomever in the last thread thread flagged that up.

Fifthly - hooray for the new thread!

Jeremys Iron fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I figured with a new thread this is a good time to ask this. How do you orginize your shelf? I used to do publisher/character name alphabetical. Then for a while I went author's last name alphabetical. Then I wanted to see all my Ult. FFs next to each other so now I do publisher/ book title alphabetical.
I have a Marvel shelf in ordered alphabetically by title - so Captain America then Captain Britain etc.

Then another bookshelf for stuff that isn't Marvel (Swamp Thing, Starman, the couple of Absolutes I own etc.)

Also Alan Moore gets his own section (but the Captain Britain omnibus is in with rest of the Marvel stuff - some sacrifices had to be made).

Rhyno posted:

Did I tell you?Well in case I didn't, Diamond is indeed sold out of it.
You didn't tell me. This is bad news. Balls.

What are the odds of a reprint come the next Wolverine movie do you reckon? It feels to me like this should be like the Spider-Man omnibus rather than the more obscure stuff, but that may be wishful thinking.

(amazon.com have it for $99 but unless the dollar takes a nosedive of Bush-era levels - which we all pray it will - that'll remain over my limit of what I'm willing to spend on an omnibus - especially after shipping).

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The book took years to finally sell out. It's far more likely they'll do a second volume rather than a reprint since most of the contents of the first one are available in smaller books.
Why you gotta do this to me man?

I thought they kept printing it? It used to vanish from amazon, the book depository etc. for a couple of months and then magically reappear (though that may just be indicative of poor stock management).

Ah well - saved me some money I guess.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Takei is Okay posted:

In the previous thread, Jeremy's Iron asked:

Only the Silver Age Omniboo -- or more properly, the Omniboo that used to be 3-4 Masterworks volumes -- have letters pages. All the rest don't. Basically, it's the Masterworks editor slipping in a little bonus material.
So does that mean that the Masterworks have letters pages too?

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Well hey there thread, I'd dropped out of the OSHC/Omnibus game for a while to save pennies for a bunch of travelling (just picking up a few omnibuses and the annotated sandman and occasionally hearing OSHC-related news from regular posters in this thread who're also on Twitter) but the mere act of reading this thread has caused me to order the two hardcover TMNT collections and start planning on a bunch more stuff so thanks for that I guess.

Though it also made me realise that I completely missed the announcement of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus - do we know how many of the OSHCs that'll collect? It'd be nice if they at least synchronised with the ones I have already.

I'm also considering ordering the second Fraction Iron Man OSHC but I'm slightly nervous that an omnibus might be around the corner - does anyone fancy pulling some predictions out of their arse on that one and persuading me either way?

Also this supposed reprint of the New X-Men omnibus is awesome news. Now we just need those Daredevil reprints and we're good to go!

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Jeremys Iron collects the omnibus line, unless I'm misremembering.
Yeah I'm a very specific kind of money-wasting chump and have at least once re-bought stuff that I already had in paperback in omnibus format.

...I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

They've BEEN re-printed haven't they? Omnibus to the three book "Ultimate Collections" trade, and they're coming out with the same omnibus soon.
The omnibus is available for pre-order at a few places now. Hopefully we see some more reprints, I'm still short of some Daredevil omnibuses and the second Fantastic Four omnibus (which may get a reprint if/when Fox release the film they've been threatening to make to keep the rights to the franchise).

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Shameless posted:

Yay!!
Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Am I right in thinking that the BPRDs are not being produced in super-fancy 'library' collections? I've considered picking them up a few times but never have.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

My latest shelving plan involves a giant 5x5 expedit which I'll be picking up in a couple of months - they seem to be the go-to shelving for nerds with heavy comics. My only concern is that the shelves are so 'tall' that a lot of my actual books will be wasting space by only taking up a small fraction of it.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Zevin_Mars posted:

My Age of Apocalypse Omni came in, anyone else have a defective one? The last few pages of my are just stuck in there. Like they were inserted as an after thought. I honestly thought it was an insert at first until I saw the TPB cover gallery was continued on the next page that was bound to the book. It's not like they fell out, the look like they never met glue in their lives.

Tales of Wonder was really nice about it though. Replacement is on it's way.
Mine's fine - I really like the old-school '90s letters pages and advertising stuff. There's something so hilarously RAD about '90s comic book design.

Glenn Danzig posted:

Marvel Zomnibus:

http://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-Zomnibus-Robert-Kirkman/dp/0785140263/ref=nosim/vglnk-ca-c51-20

Oh well, one less super expensive collection that I don't have to buy.
What's the consensus on these? I recall reading the first one and thinking it was fun but there seem to be about half a dozen now (enough to fill an omnibus apparently) but I wasn't sure how badly they suffered from diminishing returns.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

I bought a couple of the AoA paperback collections which a lot of people on the internet seemed upset at for being in a 'technically correct' chronological order rather than a 'more coherent and better to read' published storyline order.

What have they gone for in the omnibus? Also a bit sad to hear that they dropped stuff, I feel like the omnibus is when you should sling everything in.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

I've read a few reviews of IDW's TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1 that mention some low-res, pixelated panels, as well as some dodgy new lettering. Can anyone confirm/deny?
I just bought it but haven't read it yet - if I see anything that's amiss I'll give you a shout.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

I'm kind of half-considering putting an order in for the Untold Tales of Spider-Man omnibus but know little about it beyond what Wikipedia told me. I know Kurt Busiek seems to be well-regarded but thought I'd see if anyone in this thread wanted to tell me if ordering it was a brilliant/terrible/'meh' idea before doing so.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Am I right in thinking that the New Avengers omnibus contains the same as the first 3 OSHCs plus:

AVENGERS (1963) #500-503
AVENGERS FINALE
NEW AVENGERS AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1

But appears to be missing 'New Avengers: Custom #676: Army & Air Force'

I already have the OSHCs on this one so I may have found an omnibus I won't be pre-ordering. Intrigued by the Hulk book though as I quite liked Aaron's Ghost Rider omnibus.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

So I'm getting the impression that the Death of Spider-Man omnibus contains some good stuff? I enjoyed the Ultimate comics but basically stopped paying attention around when everything was re-branded (the ultimates became the ultimate avengers etc.) and I think that was when Spider-Man kicked the bucket too.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Hey team, my first 5x5 Expedit will be arriving later this week and I'm clearing out my bookshelves in preparation for its arrival. Out of curiosity does anyone know the internal measurements of the cubes? Trying to work out what I can fit in it as I may look to put some modular lego buildings in one or two of them because if I'm going to have a shamelessly nerdy bookshelf I may as well embrace it and fill it with children's toys as well as picture books.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks both - seems like the Market Street building will fit but no joy with any of the others, still more space for giant comic books and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

This one goes out to the lurkers, as well: How many britgoons are there who'd be interested in an HC sale? I'm selling some out of print books, including ToD Omnibus 1&2, both volumes of the Brubaker and Bendis Daredevil omnibu, the Eternals Omnis. None of those for above cover price.

I've never set up an SA mart thread, so it'd be handy to gauge interest.
Saw your tweet and came running.

I'd be interested.

Have they been looked after in a stupidly fussy and careful way to satisfy my OCD demand for perfect-condition books?