Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the market for those things? Just do special orders for the omnibuses and epic collections that are out of print and run them when they reach a specific threshold or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Ok so if you had one artist that was above and beyond without question your immediate favorite and it turned out that artist had released a signed/numbered limited edition of a retrospective of his work that entailed a bunch of plates of his work in a nice box with said sig on the plate guide..

And it was 300 but limited to 1000 copies.. Would you go for it

This reminds me of how when I was in high school I bought a limited edition hardcover of the Jay and Silent Bob comic that was signed and numbered by Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I say live your dream because even if you regret it, it will be funny some day.

Also if the artist is from the 20th century, they’re not going to live forever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

was it this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Silent...kIAAOSwJX5flNg4

I forgot to look at sold listings but 75 bucks is respectable on top of what I'm sure is a fun story

That’s the one. It was definitely less than $75 then, maybe $35 or something, which is weird because I’d say both of them are pretty far from their 90s peak these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The recoloring job on the Marvel Miracleman is such trash. The original issues loving pop in comparison. Moore’s 80s stuff is designed to look a little garish and junky imo. You’re never going to make that Chuck Austin art look good, exactly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Akira hardbound set seems to be out of stock everywhere. Was that actually limited or will there be more one day?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

obi_ant posted:

It's been re-printed at least once. So maybe in the future? You can basically get the set without the box if you buy them individually.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. Hardcover would be nice, but it's not like I'm going to read all that in a week or a month or something where I'd need everything at once.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JordanKai posted:

So let's say, hypothetically, that I was planning on biting the bullet and buying all the Chris Claremont X-Men omnibuses. If I buy volumes 1-4 and 1-2 of the Jim Lee X-Men books, would I need to buy any of the more specific omnibuses like Dark Phoenix Saga, or is stuff like that included in the main ones?

The main ones have his whole run, minus a gap between the end of 4 and the Mutant Massacre omnibus that will probably be covered by a future fifth volume. To get the whole run minus that gap, you also need the Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, and Inferno omnibuses. Inferno ends right where the first Jim Lee one starts.

It’s possible that they’ll eventually redo those three crossover ones in a way that just gives you the X-Men issues, as Fall of the Mutants and Mutant Massacre are out of print.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess I’m used to regular books that generally stay in print for at least a few years. It’s been rough for me to start getting into the epic collections and then discover that the next one I want to read came out two years ago and is $70 used. At least it looks like some are getting reprinted.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not feeling great about getting the rest of New Mutants after that movie, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are you at least going to take Calvin and Hobbes out of the shrinkwrap?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm slowly accumulating X-Men and X-Men related comics in omnibuses and OSHCs and was wondering where Asgardian Wars fits in. Is it in a gap in the omnibuses that'll probably get filled in and collected at some point? Or should it have been included in an already published omni but wasn't?

It would be in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 5, which hasn’t been announced yet but probably will be. It’s also in the most recent X-Men Marvel Masterworks, which is one volume away from catching up to the Mutant Massacre omnibus, so those two Marvel Masterworks plus maybe some content from Mutant Massacre will probably be vol 5 of the X-Men omnibus. (I too have just gotten into the X-Men omnibuses)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jolo posted:

Looks like there has been a reprint of Invincible HC Vol 7. It's available all over again. I imagine they did a reprint to sell after the recent animated series. I've read up to Vol 11 and the series is kinda nuts and brutal with its characters. I don't love it but it occasionally has some pretty out there concepts that they run with for a bit.

edit: Also, look how close they came to nailing a uniform spine layout...

I hope that whoever hosed up the purple and yellow was at least criticized at the office party. Getting so close is almost worse than not having a pattern at all. I guess maybe they decided late in the game to have the colors mirror each other?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh god drat it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Back in the 90s, my grandma bought a copy of Uncanny X-Men 300 off qvc that was signed by Stan Lee. It does have a certificate of authenticity, but I always assumed that it wasn’t worth anything because Stan signed a million things and he had nothing to do with X-Men 300. It was still a cool gift and good on my grandma for recognizing Stan Lee when he showed up on qvc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Secret Wars II…the rarest of the rare omnibuses.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Secret Wars II is still in the plastic wrap. He’s just hoarding that beautiful restoration of the scene where Spiderman teaches the Beyonder to use a toilet!

I was going to commend his restraint in not getting the absolute Dark Knight Strikes Again, but then I remembered that it’s part of the original Dark Knight absolute, which also reminds me why I never bought it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there really that much demand for Conan comics? Are they really amazing or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fantastic Four omnibus 4 is like $50 on amazon right now. Not much Kirby in it, but Stan working without a creative maniac like Kirby really shows who had all the talent in that partnership.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the justification for going beyond, other than money? Maybe Mutant Massacre works with just the X-Men issues, but the other stories probably don’t.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I didn’t even know there was a Nightcrawler miniseries. I wonder if they’ll include the Falcon miniseries and Fallen Angels and all that in future releases.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

frameset posted:

Has anyone else picked up the Miracleman omnibus? I'm reading it for the first time and in wondering if the colours have been redone. They seem really good for 1982, having recently read material from that era like JLI, COIE, etc.

The colors have been redone. It doesn’t have the same grimy feeling as the original issues, which is a negative for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only really bad recolor I’ve seen was the Moore Swamp Thing absolute edition. They absolutely ruined the psychedelic segments. The Mage hardcover recoloring by Matt Wagner’s son takes away a lot of the charm of the early issues in particular. I had to track down the old softcover collected editions from the 80s to make it feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is instocktrades.com legitimate? It has some very good prices on select items that I don’t see elsewhere.