Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Just received my first set of bound books. No more sitting in boxes unread and they are so much easier to loan out.

This is going to turn out to be an expensive hobby isn't it? I already have about six more books lined up to be bound for the next batch.

Oh yeah. I had them done here http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I want to get a few comics bound but I've run into a few snags. Chiefly, I am an idiot and can't figure heads or tails of how to place an order. Any protips or sweet guides on how to do this?
If anybody is curious I'm making my first bind job Grant Morrison's Batman And Robin run and if that goes well I'll continue binding.
Fake edit: I forgot to mention I have a custom cover in mind

Click on all of the links in the Custom Binding section of the OP. I researched for about two months before I got the nerve up to cut some stuff up and send it away. The http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/8900/Comic-book-binding-FAQ#.TsifDFY2yuI site is gold, check it out. I used Herring and Robinson due to their prices being low and the fact that they were relatively close so shipping time was quick. Read their website, print the PDF and fill it out. They were happy to answer my questions both over the phone and through email. They did great work (you can check some examples earlier in this thread) and I have sent off four more books. Be aware it took almost a month and a half for me to receive my books back so be patient.

I did not do any custom covers but I think Singlebound will even help you design it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Wow. I was just buying the Simonson trades. Got the first three for about $5 a pop but the last two became rare and expensive all of a sudden. I don't think I would want a tome as big as some of the omnibuses.

So I am putting together a Wolverine bind that will include a few minis, Logan (the black and white version)by Vaughan and Risso, Wolverine Hulk by Kieth, Wolverine Havok Meltdown by Simonson and Old Man Logan by Millar and McNiven. Putting all those titles on the spine would be cluttered and confusing. I have no idea what to call this thing though.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Just received my second batch of books from Herring and Robinson.

Here is a link to some pictures I put up in the Marvel Masterworks forum:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/reply/500222/Herring-and-Robinson-Bookbinders-San-Francisco#reply-500222

Bonus pictures of my shelves filling up.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

How long does Thwipster typically take to ship? I ordered some stuff Monday and haven't heard anything since.

Yeah. They took the money, confirmed the order through email and there it sits 'unfulfilled'. Guess I am just spoiled by Amazon.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

My comic book store had a tpb of Orc Stain that I bought today for 20% off the list price. I guess it's out of print and selling on AMZ for $100. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it or wait and see if the price goes up.

I just found a copy for three bucks but the binding is loose (the first book block falls out but is otherwise intact) I was thinking of getting it hardbound until I saw that Amazon price. I was able to flip my Darkness Compendium that was in terrible condition for a $20 profit. Ebay, TFAW and my LCBS all have Orc Stain for reasonable prices though.

Edit. Guess it is sold out now. Cool book but I would part with it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 1, 2012

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Karnegal posted:

Is Sandman on the list of Absolutes that DC keeps in print (like Watchmen)? The third volume seems to be OOP at the moment, but I didn't know if it was temporary, or if I am just hosed and need to pay like $200 if I want it. I kind of put off picking Sandman up since it seemed to be always available.

In Stock Trades seems to have it ...

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/ABSOLUTE-SANDMAN-HC-VOL-03/MAR128124

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have been thinking about picking up the Invisibles Omnibus because I have been getting more into Grant Morrison. Will it stay in print for a while or should I jump on it now. Is there a way to tell what books are gonna disappear? I still regret not picking up that Ennis Punisher Omnibus for $50 a few years ago.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think Brubaker keeps the bonus articles that he writes in the deluxe version but the stuff written by others is kept out because there is no compensation.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Brubaker/Philips Image stuff lends itself pretty well to binding as all of the ads are in the back if I recall.

Did the binding thread go away or is it now a part of this thread again?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Had a good day at the thrift store!

Paid :10bux: Then did this

Gonna send them off to get rebound as a Vol. 1 Omnibus with my next batch. I also have a thrashed copy of V.3 OSHC so if I can find a cheap V. 4 I will do the same. (Wonder if I should insert the covers in their correct places?)

Also found this. Currently reading it a bit to see if it is worth rebinding. If it turns out to be too cheesy for my tastes there is always ebay.

It is still a pretty solid reader copy and is holding together but it needs some love.

Last I found was Creepy Archive V. 10 in great condition for six bux.

Reading that new horror thread musta blessed me with good luck before I went out. There is probably some horrible twist ending to all of this though...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Spring clean of the comic room. Prepping up 'mazing Man, X-men, Hellblazer and Automatic Kafka for binding

Click for big

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

7744 posted:

Those ROM hardcovers :swoon:

EDIT: Who do you use for binding? I'd like to get a few things binded..

http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/comic_books.html

bobkatt013 posted:

How are you binding Hellblazer? What issues and how are you going to split it? I have to do the same since they are never going to do Jenkins run plus the odd and ends that have not been collected. Also has anyone binded Shade? Do you have any suggestions on how I should split it?

I am not doing the whole Hellblazer run. Just going to buy the new trades as they come out (Am I the only one who thinks the new covers are terrible?) I found the first two trades in really rough condition for a couple bucks, but the interior pages were still fine. Gonna bind those and insert the Swamp Thing issues. Don't really know where to place the Swamp Thing pages though.

redbackground posted:

ROM and U.S. 1 hardbound? You ballin'.

Oh yeah. I rollin' deep son.

Not on the shelves is Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider Ham, it be on loan to someone at the moment. Power Pack and Nancy Collins' run on Swamp Thing are at the binder right now and I just need three more issues to complete my Howard the Duck run before it gets sent. Binding my childhood up is getting expensive.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bobkatt013 posted:

It is pretty obvious where the swamp thing issues go. At the end of the first trade Swamp Thing takes over his body and the swamp thing issues are swamp things point of view of the events, aka what he does with Johns body.

Yeah. Issue 77 unfortunately fits between a double sided page. So it either goes out of order at the end of the issue or I tear the page out and photocopy it into two pages.

Where do the new Hellblazer trades start to diverge in material from the old printings. It looks like V. 1-3 are the same besides the covers?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Looks like Fear Agent V. 1 is back in stock.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Dark-Horse/HELLBOY-LIBRARY-ED-VOL-1-SEED-OF-DESTRUCTION-WAKE-THE-DEVIL-HC/DEC098045

Instocktrades has it pretty cheap. Buy $50 and you get free shipping.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Picked up Aaron's Wolverine Omni for $30. Figured it was too cheap to pass up (hope there is some decent stuff in there). X-Statix was picked up for $35. Wish all the omnibi were this inexpensive. Better yet I wish I knew which ones were gonna plummet. Most the time it seems if I don't buy it the thing goes out of print and skyrockets.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Amazon for Wolverine (looks like there are a few at that price still) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...e&condition=new . Ebay for X-Statix. I spend way too much time scouring the internet for deals on comics. My general rule is never pay more than $10 for a TPB or $20-30 for OSHC, there are exceptions to this rule but I try to break it down as paying a buck or two per issue contained.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I believe a bunch of Masterworks are on crazy discount too. I have never checked these out. They just seem crazy expensive. What are the main differences between Marvel Premier Hardcover and Masterwork?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

irlZaphod posted:

That Cap omnibus for $60 is very tempting...

Looks like it can be had for under $40.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just ordered the Doctor Strange Masterworks V.5, is V.4 necessary at all? I don't really have that much experience with the character but I have heard good things about the crazy psychedelic art from this era.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I also picked up Marvel Masterworks: Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Volume 3 because drat those Steranko covers are awesome. Snagged both for under $25 each. Will these make good stand alone volumes? I don't really want to go down the MMW road much more. poo poo is expensive yo.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I received some books back from http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/comic_books.html today. Pretty stoked.

More pictures and words over here...

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/23005

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Found a pretty good condition Death of Captain America Omnibus for cover price at my LCBS. This is pretty amazing because I never find good deals except during their annual sale.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

This thing just came in the mail...

Paid :10bux: and some change. Amazon had a quick sale/mistake? I would have posted it here but the deal was dead within minutes of me ordering it. Kinda surprised it went through. I have seen Amazon fail to honor prices they have posted by mistake. I loved the book as a youngster but never intended to read the adaptation. Worth checking out or should I just flip it?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Hakkesshu posted:

So what exactly is the best version of Sandman (still in print)? I've never read it, but there are so many variants that are all stupidly expensive, so I want to make sure I pick the right one.

I dig the Absolutes. They look cool on the shelves and I like the size of them. You can find them for $55 each at Instocktrades (over $50 and free shipping). That ain't too bad for 20 comics. I bought them slowly over the course of a couple years so it didn't feel that painful in the ol' wallet.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 10, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IST is instocktades.com Not sure if they ship overseas. I think the slipcase uses the same coloring as the Absolutes. Some people hate it but I thought it was fine.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Regarding the Fantagraphics Carl Barks Library, I was just on Amazon and I notice that the price of the Lost In the Andes book has risen quite steeply. Has it gone out of print already?

It seems to be unavailable at the usual places. Kicking myself for not picking it up for $15. Fear Agent HC came back so...

Edit:

Fantagraphics website shows a second print in July (subject to change).

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 12, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Fraction) is on sale for $14 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ir...ncible+iron+man

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Glenn Danzig posted:

IT'S NOT AN OMNIBUS!

OSHC then, and still a good price.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

That's an incredible price, I had 5 copies on the marketplace and the day IM3 hit I sold all three of them for $18 a pop. Now I have buyers asking me about returns and/or price matching. Cheap assholes.

Just tell them it is probably remaindered and with Amazon's shipping it will come torn in half, water logged, and with a solitary square of single ply toilet paper draped over it for protection.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Marf Revus posted:

I have the first three TMNT Ultimate Collection's, how's number 4? Not sure why I'm questioning myself on getting it or not.

I thought the art was pretty bad especially when compared to the Eastman/Laird issue in the middle. The first few pages were jarring and then I kinda got used to it. The shading on the turtles looks especially bad blown up like this. I kinda dug the story and will pick up V.5 when it comes out. I wish this series had been a complete Mirage collection.

Click for bigger.

Eastman/Laird Issue

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I'm wondering how good InStockTrades is as far as getting new stuff in - should I be trusting their "coming soon" to be complete, or figure they'll be getting things even though they're not listed?

Namely, I'm planning to get the Fatale and Catwoman trades due out in June, and not seeing them there, and wondering if IST's deep discounts come at the cost of limited selection. Hoping, though, they just aren't thorough in their "coming soon" schedule...

I think their selection is great. Pretty sure they will have those books.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

onefish posted:

Re: InStockTrades-- wow. Hadn't heard of them. Went and looked, and better prices than Amazon or B&N (right now, at least). And apparently much better packaging according to reviews/commentary.

Is the 45% off most books they're running now at all standard? It seems like not, right? In any event, there's a 45% discount on almost everything I've looked at at the moment. If it's not their standard, how long do promotions like this last?

I think 42-45% is the norm. I think they sometimes give you a promo code for 2% more off but you have to use it within a week or two of your previous order. Their packaging is awesome. and free shipping over $50.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

drat you TFAW sale :argh: Still, 9 books for under $80 ain't too bad... right?

Between this, the Marvel Omni blowouts, and the Fantagraphics sale, I think I have too much to read.

Plague of Frogs HC V.3 is only $13.99 right now. (nick and dent sometimes are limited to just one copy FYI).

Tempted by that Groo Artist Edition as well.

Oh yeah. That ultrarare collector's item Astonishing X-Men variant is gettin' sliced and diced for a bind.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 27, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

What is the big deal with these Artist editions? I don't think I get it. I'm tempted to get Groo but with a car payment in my near future (drat deer), I thought I would ask.

Plague of Frogs is calling me like a mofo, however.

The artist editions are HUGE. I think almost twice the size of an absolute though they only contain five or so issues. I mentioned it because they are hardly ever discounted past 5-10%.

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm counting 10. How much was the Absolute? I've spent way too much on TFAW sales over the years. I think I still have books from their last Black Friday sale I still haven't read.

The Astonishing X-men is just a single ish I picked up instore to complete a binding project. I didn't count it as part of my order. The Absolute was $30, it's a little dinged up. Don't see Absolutes in these sales too often.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bairfanx posted:

I think the big problem people had is that there were rumors that it was just upscaled from the TPB art, and that it was done poorly enough that you could tell. I haven't actually looked at my copy in a couple of years (which probably means I should part with it...) but I don't remember thinking anything looked off.

Yeah. I think the graininess people are claiming is just due to being able to see the texture of the paper used in the original painting better. I dug it.

AmericanBarbarian posted:

What is the TFA sale? I just spend $70 at instocktrades so I just want to see what could have been with another sale.

Things From Another World. Dark Horse's comic shop. TFAW.COM If you live in Portland you can get free shipping if you go pick it up at one of their three shops.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 27, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

How are Instocktrades in terms of shipping speed? While they don't ship internationally, I'll be visiting the US later this year and they're cheap enough to make it worth my while to order up some books and have them shipped to my hotel to bring back in my luggage.

I need to order them late enough that they don't arrive at the hotel TOO early and cause some kind of annoying confusion, but not so late that they arrive after I check out and they wind up stuck there forever. I know they usually dispatch within a couple of days, but does anyone know how quick the carrier is with it? Couple of days after dispatch?

I just received my order. It took two weeks total shipped from Indiana to Portland. This is the average order time I expect from them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Inkslinger posted:

My hardcover of Indestructible Hulk Volume 1 just showed up from Amazon, and instead of a dust jacket the cover image is printed right onto the cover.

Is that how Marvel is doing hardcovers now?

That is what I have heard. My WatX Alpha and Omega HC was the same. I kinda like the looks of dust covers but I usually take them off to read a book because they annoy me. One less thing to worry about I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have Prime and most of the time everything ships loose with one small piece of air cushion thrown on top. Literally one square of air cushion. Most stuff isn't badly dinged and for trades I can live with it because I read and loan them out. I sent the Nausicaa set back three times due to the slipcase being all busted up. If I end up not liking the book it would be nice to be able to resell it.

I wonder if this is the reason the discount on comics has decreased with Amazon. Used to see 45-47% for pre orders, now it is usually around 25-35%. It can't be cheap to keep sending out replacement. Especially omnis and box sets.

I rely on IST now. Shipping can be really slow but the packaging is awesome. The extra 2% off deal for buying more within a week of your last purchase is kinda cool too if you split up a big order.