Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Excuse me has anybody brought the second BPRD hardcover? I ask this, because it's currently under review on amazon so i'd like to know if there are errors in it before I buy it from a third party. Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

I bought it and didn't notice any glaring problems with it. However, i never read the source material to begin with, so i wouldnt have noticed if something was missing or out of order. My copy looks fine.

BowieFett posted:

I bought a copy from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and I didn't notice anything wrong with it. I think this is the second time that book has gone under review though, so I don't know what the deal is.

Thanks guys I am going to go ahead and buy it from instocktrades.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I hope the next BPRD hardcover is solicited soon, I need my fix! Volume 2 was fantastic.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really hoping that the hundred bullets hardcovers have nice paper. Like the Fables hardcovers, and not like the Y the last man, and Preacher ones. Wishful thinking on my part?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

redbackground posted:

I like the YTLM paper stock. It's not glossy, but there's weight and durability to it, and it's miles above what the hardcover Swamp Things get.

I really don't like how matte it is, and the covers themselves show that quality really wasn't their goal. If the Fables one wasn't so much better in terms of production value I would just assume that's the best they can do.

You're right about the Swamp thing hardcovers though, and i'm sure if it does turn out to be matte plenty of people will still like it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Seeing as how I was the one that was worried about this the most, I want to say I am very pleased with the 100 bullets hardcover. The paper is excellent and the design is very good.

Here's some extremely poor cellphone pictures, the front dust jacket is very nice and you can't tell in these pictures but its embossed.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Would you guys mind checking your local stores if they have the Batman Broken City Hardcover? I'd pay whatever price they want for it (so long as it's reasonable, retail) and pay shipping. Or if any of you guys have it and want to sell it if it's in good condition I will buy it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Does anybody know why there is a line of new Powers hardcovers? What's their quality like I never got the definitive editions and I know those had some gutter loss issues.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

ShortStack posted:

Is Thwipster good about things like your orders not being damaged or returns if something is? I'd really like to get my hands on the two BPRD hardcovers but I'm kinda iffy on dropping 40bux without any sort of feedback regarding the site.

They are really good about the way they package things they wrap everything in plastic and tape it to a board.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

If you guys don't mind me asking is anybody interested in buying Blackest night green lantern HC, Blackest Night HC, and Blackest Night GLC for 10 dollars each preferably together? They're all quite nice I just have no idea why I bought them.

Yeah Actions release is really reasonable it's just been solicited really early.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Any word on an Azz Chiang Akins Wonder Woman hardcover? It's like nowhere to be found on the new 52 trades solicit page.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/15/announcing-the-highly-anticipated-wonder-woman-hardcover/

This answers my question glad it's a hardcover I am really looking forward to it. Best DC book out right now.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Ghost Boner posted:

So, does Batman: The Black Mirror collect all of Scott Snyder's run, or is it incomplete? I'm seeing a 300+ page count, but then it says it's only 7-8 issues.

All of it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Shameless posted:

Holy poo poo, has anyone else seen this awesome Spanish 100 Bullets collection?

Makes me wish I wasn't an ignorant Englishman and could speak me some "foreign"

I'm going to Spain just to buy that do you happen to know the ISBN?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Corbet posted:

Does anybody know where I can get Morrison's Batman and Robin Vol. 1 & 2 hardcovers for a decent price? Apparently they're out of print and Amazon is out of stock.

I've been meaning to pick them up - are they worth tracking down?

I like them the design is really well done and fits with the third volume paper quality is nice and since they aren't thick volumes there is minimal gutter loss.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

AntiqueCowboy posted:

I got mine from Amazon and it is magnificent. There's a pretty lengthy introduction that talks about Barks' difficult life and story notes in the back. It's going to be total sex with the entire collection on a shelf. My only complaint is that there isn't a volume number on the spine.

Could I get a link to this book, or a name?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Flight 230 posted:

1500 page Invisibles Omnibus!

!!!

!!!

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/22/what%E2%80%99s-coming-in-summer-2012/

!!!

I'm not excited about 1500 pages of glued binding.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I just can't not buy it, because the production value on the All Star Superman Absolute is so good that if Batman and Robin's is roughly the same it will be look great. Plus 3 of my favorite artists worked on that series.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

bairfanx posted:

I hate you so much right now.

They generally try to make Absolutes all one writer, right? This is the hope I cling to.

Return of Bruce Wayne would probably just include the Batman time and the batman trade issues.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Beats me then, 4 months after the final issue isn't the worst thing in the world. Either bind your own or suck it up.

We don't have to "suck up" bad business practice simply because an alternative that most people aren't interested like that exists. Look I get that you just fell in love with binding and that you're all about that but quit preaching it down people's throats.

That being said 4 months really isn't that bad at all. It's not a whole drat year that's for sure.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I swear to god, Amazon knows that it let me preorder X-Statix for a stupidly low price, and it's now doing everything in its power to get me to cancel the preorder. It's now delayed til January. I just want to read a fuckton of X-Men! Is that too much to ask?

Be strong! You can do it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Has anybody here bought the Mickey Mouse idw hardcovers? How's the paper?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Bright white, acid-free, non-glossy. I have no problems with it.

One more question if you don't mind, it doesn't feel cheap? I usually have a problem that when publishers use matte paper they go the cheap route. Thank you for answering by the way.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Is the Parker Martini Edition out of print? I can't buy it at amazon and i'd just like to know before I spend more to get somewhere else.

Also has anybody really been impressed with a collection they recently got?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Buy it on amazon.ca

edit: It is under review, not OOP. Big difference. Wait a week.

Yeah it's just been shown to happen that an item under review ends up being no longer available on amazon after a while. It's happened with other books, X-statix went through the same thing when they ran out of copies the first time.

Thanks.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

jimcunningham posted:

How much are you willing to pay for it? It's at my local Hastings superstore.

Well I can always buy it on another website at a pretty reduced price, but amazon has the best deal. I really do appreciate your offer however, if the others sell out I may have to take you up on it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

What are the two books next to your complete Calvin and Hobbes set?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

If you click the pictures, you can see them in full size. They're "The Completely MAD Don Martin."

Ah thank you Mike, I was right click open image in new tab.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

OMNIBUS.

Absolute, just like the Batman and Robin one.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 15, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

You see, now I'm excited for this and I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Amazon just pushed it's release date back, makes me a bit optimistic. Don't really want Tony Daniel absolute pages, or omnibus. Although i'd deal with it seeing as how i'd get Kubert and Williams in the same absolute. I do not see an omnibus happening though.

They went with absolute for the batman and robin stuff after all.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I had just assumed all of you knew about that. Sorry about that.

Me and Burts did a post about it and everything when it was announced.

http://comicpill.com/news/41/absolute-batman-and-robin-batman-reborn/

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

We all lose!

BATMAN: THE BLACK GLOVE DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by ANDY KUBERT, J.H. WILLIAMS III, TONY S. DANIEL, JOHN VAN FLEET, RYAN BENJAMIN, JESSE DELPERDANG, JONATHAN GLAPION and SANDU FLOREA
Cover by ANDY KUBERT
Retailers: This item is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.
RESOLICIT • On sale JUNE 20 • 384 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US
Comic-book legend Grant Morrison (ACTION COMICS) joins forces with top artists including Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), J.H. Williams III (BATWOMAN) and Tony S. Daniel (DETECTIVE COMICS) in this deluxe hardcover collecting BATMAN #655-658, 663-669 and 672-675! First, Batman receives the greatest shock of his life when he discovers that he has a son. And sparks fly when Damian is introduced to Robin, the Boy Wonder. Which young hero will carry on the legacy as Gotham City’s protector? Then, Batman and a group of global heroes face a killer on a mysterious island, and Batman relives an adventure in the life of young Bruce Wayne: the hunt for his parents’ killer.

Well that's what I wanted all along, so I win! So they just changed the name? That was the reason for the re-solicit?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Are the new DC hardcovers going to have the new logo? Is this the reason they are pushing some popular books back a little? Flex Mentallo and the Batman Black Glove & Son HC?

I'd really hate to have that on my books. I really dig their simple DC they put on the spines.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Flex is a Vertigo book, and presumably wouldn't have the DC logo. I assume it's perpetual delays are due to the recoloring.

Ah, you're right! Thanks, still wondering about the DC trades though.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Of course they will have the new logo and thats all it is... a logo. I'm sure we all shat over the last logo DC released in 2005 or whenever it came out. The internet rage will subside eventually and we will get down to reading comics again until the next logo change.

Did the books the trade editions really have a different logo on the spine prior to 2005, yes it's a logo but it's not just a logo. It represents the company, it's one of the first perceptions people get of them. It's the reason good logos are important. I'm not even judging the logo I just wanted all my Grant Morrison Batman Hardcovers to have the same logo on the spine.

You constantly come in this thread as some sort of sage of reason, and wisdom that nobody else sees. Yet you usually miss the point completely.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 22, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

wildlele posted:

Maybe you are the one missing the point and getting too worked up over a logo?

I'm not getting worked up at all. I made a question in a thread with people who know about trade editions. I'd be bummed but it's not like I wouldn't buy it. It's not even about a logo it's about uniformity in the editions i've bought in a series with the final volumes of the series. I like design.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I just told you I would still buy it even with the logo I just wanted to ask, seriously don't need your solutions. I asked whether it would be on the new books not this is seriously hurting me DC is a bunch of morons how do I fix this?. I even said in my post that i'd still buy the book, you just don't get it.

Good job editing your post after the fact as well. I'm good now though I asked a question and bairfanx answered it. I suspect the new logo probably won't be on the spine of the new books but it will be in the interior publishing page. The contents of the book are still going to be rad.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Every time I hear someone call paper that isn't glossy "newsprint" I want to stab them sit them down for a lengthy, boring lecture on the differences in paper stocks.

I don't call newsprint but I do like to call it paper that's supposed to resemble newsprint. It's usually the reason they choose to go with matte, like with for old books. What are you referencing?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

The first Chew Omnivore edition had this really great sewn binding and opened flat, just bought the second vol and they changed the binding to the regular glue kind. It's not necessarily bad there's not a lot of gutter loss, but drat compared to the first volume it's pretty bad.

Just thought i'd share that with you guys if any of you were thinking about buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I'm a guy who really likes seeing pictures of books before I buy them, especially expensive ones. A friend asked me to snap some pictures of Bone 20th anniversary hardcover before he bought it. I figure I might as well share them with you guys. In case any of you are unsure.