Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zachack posted:

A lot of the Showcase/Essential stuff kinda drags but Warlord is one of the few that I think could work as a comic being released now.

Except Showcase Presents Warlord was published as they started a new Mike Grell Warlord series. Care to guess how many months it lasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

THE DC UNIVERSE BY ALAN MOORE HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by JIM APARO, BRIAN BOLLAND, PARIS CULLINS, GEORGE FREEMAN, DAVE GIBBONS, KLAUS JANSON, KEVIN O’NEILL, JOE ORLANDO, GEORGE PÉREZ, KURT SCHAFFENBERGER, CURT SWAN, RICK VEITCH, AL WILLIAMSON, BILL WILLINGHAM, JIM BAIKIE and MICHAEL LOPEZ
Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale FEBRUARY 8 • 304 pg, FC, $39.99 US
The work of Alan Moore (WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDETTA, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN) during the 1980s is a benchmark for great stories with fresh approaches to iconic characters. Collected in this volume are all of Moore’s Superman and Batman stories, including ACTION COMICS #583, BATMAN ANNUAL #11, BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, DC COMICS PRESENTS #85, DETECTIVE COMICS #549-550, GREEN LANTERN #188, THE OMEGA MEN #26-27, SECRET ORIGINS #10, SUPERMAN #423, TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #2 & 3, SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11 and VIGILANTE #17-18, plus VOODOO #1-4, DEATHBLOW: BY BLOWS #1-3 and more!

This is something like the sixth time they've printed this with slightly different contents.

OTOH, my copy is a very early soft cover (the one wit the missing text from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow) so I may buy it anyway.

Resurrection Man and Catwoman are definite buys for me but I think if I were to get THUNDER Agents I'd buy it in Archives edition (just as soon as I wrap up The Spirit and Plastic Man).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Dark Tower omnibus was in the solicitations as well but that's been covered already.

Also who could resist this:

quote:

SPIDER-MAN: THE PSAS TPB
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by TODD MCFARLANE
The Spectacular Spider-Man does the Marvel Universe proud in a titanic tome that’s both entertaining and educational! Swing along with Spidey and a gathering of his amazing friends — including Storm, Luke Cage, Power Pack, Jubilee and the Fantastic Four — as they take on a host of important social issues in the inimitable Mighty Marvel Manner! Collecting SPIDER-MAN VS. THE PRODIGY; SPIDER-MAN, STORM & POWER MAN; SPIDER-MAN & POWER PACK; SPIDER-MAN AGAINST VERBAL ABUSE; SPIDER-MAN & THE NEW MUTANTS FEATURING SKIDS; ADVENTURES IN READING STARRING SPIDER-MAN; SPIDER-MAN: CHAOS AT THE CONSTRUCTION SITE; SPIDER-MAN: RIOT AT ROBOTWORLD; SPIDER-MAN BATTLES THE MYTH MONSTER; SPIDER-MAN: SKATING ON THIN ICE; SPIDER-MAN: DOUBLE TROUBLE; SPIDER-MAN: HIT & RUN; SPIDER-MAN: CHAOS IN CALGARY; SPIDER-MAN: DEAD BALL; SPIDER-MAN: HOW TO BEAT THE BULLY/JUBILEE: PEER PRESSURE; SPIDER-MAN: FATHERHOOD; FAST LANE #1-4; SPIDER-MAN ON BULLYING PREVENTION; HEROES VS. PLAQUE: WHEN PLAQUE ATTACKS; and SPIDER-MAN: YOU’RE HIRED!
456 PGS./Rated T …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5978-0

And hey, Marvel's doing their first non-superhero, non-horror Essential with Rawhide Kid! Maybe someday they'll get around to reprinting Sgt. Fury.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Essential Sgt Fury was actually solicited last month, can't wait for that. And I may pick up Rawhide Kid too, never read it before.

That's right. I ordered it and I completely forgot about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrBling posted:

For some reason they didn't ship BPRD vol 2 despite it being in stock. It's still preparing to get shipped.

IIRC there was a physical problem with Amazon's shipment of BRPD volume 2 (probably mangled by Diamond ;) ).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Last week I decided that it was finally about time that I got around to reading Tintin. And given the length of the series I thought the best option would be to order the box set for the series. It arrived today and I was surprised to find out that it lacked three stories: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and Alph-Art.

I know that the first two are highly controversial at best and supposedly not very good and the last one is an unfinished work but the entire point of a box set is to collect everything. I can understand where they might not want to present the two stories featuring racist caricatures first; they could have shoved them into a volume in the back with an essay explaining their place in the stories. Skipping over both ends of the Tintin stories just seems the wrong way to do this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I've been in NYC for the last few days on vacation and today we went to Time Machine comics and what do I find? Spirit Archives volume 14! Still shrink wrapped and it was on their 50% off shelf so I snagged it for $25! I love this town!

I hate you so much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zachack posted:

So if a local used bookstore had the entire Spirit series at about $30/book, I should buy them all? Because this will be my one chance?

Most of them can be found around that price. Volume 14 on the other hand is obscenely expensive. Volume 15 also seems to be a bit hard to find though you can usually get it around cover.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got excited for about ten seconds when I saw a Xombi trade in the solicits. Then I realized it's the recent series and not the original Milestone stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a heads up Tales of Wonder is offering 50% off what looks like all in print DC Archives. There's a pile of other stuff (mainly Dark Horse) on sale at a similar rate (if you don't own all three volumes of the Herbie archives what's wrong with you?).

Time to wrap up my Plastic Man Archives I think...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

https://www.dcbservice.com

As long as you want them to ship 15 days after you place an order for an item "in stock".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wildlele posted:

They are printed in China (usually) and shipped over on boat.

DC prints in Canada.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

It's going to be hollowed out and full of human poo poo.

We all know that it's going to contain Infinite Crisis. The question is what else will they put in it.

The only thing that get me even interested in that list is the Showcase Rip Hunter. I've got all of the Kirby Challengers and I don't think that they'll be improved by spending another $100 on them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Ultimate Spidey Omnibus on the way. Contents should be announced when the Marvel solicits turn up.

Can't see much else of major interest on the list.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=116069

I hope it's the same as the Barnes and Noble Ultimate Spidey book. Then we can all sync up on a second omnibus...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Does anyone know if the third Tomb of Dracula omnibus has had the art edited? Marvel changed some of the art around the previous time they reprinted the Tomb of Dracula magazines and if it has been in that one then I'm not going to buy it...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks. While I honestly don't care one way or the other about having boobies in comics (I do have the Internet if I'm in the mood for that) I didn't want to support Marvel by buying an expensive book if they had changed the artwork.

It's also good to know that they didn't colorize the magazines.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Has anybody here bought the Mickey Mouse idw hardcovers? How's the paper?

Bright white, acid-free, non-glossy. I have no problems with it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JackDarko posted:

One more question if you don't mind, it doesn't feel cheap? I usually have a problem that when publishers use matte paper they go the cheap route. Thank you for answering by the way.

It doesn't feel cheap to me but then I also didn't have a problem with the paper used in the Fourth World Omnibus.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

New Previews listings for Marvel's April books.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=117329

Looks like we'll be seeing real solicits for the Remender Punisher and Secret Warriors Omnibuses

The Secret Warriors omnibus is the only thing on that list that I'm going to get (I'm sure the Punisher stuff will be fun for those fans). Thinking on it the last few months of solicits haven't had a lot that thrilled me...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wildlele posted:

Of course they will have the new logo and thats all it is... a logo. I'm sure we all shat over the last logo DC released in 2005 or whenever it came out. The internet rage will subside eventually and we will get down to reading comics again until the next logo change.

Some of us hold grudges. gently caress you, "National Comics"! :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

obi_ant posted:

With that Amazon was helpful enough to give me a few suggestions and these books peaked my interest a bit. I'm wondering if they're any good.

Dark Tower Omnibus by Stephen King
Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus
X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus - Volume 1
The Invisibles Omnibus

Dark Tower - Haven't read it. Seemed to be well received initially but I don't know if that lasted.
Ultimate Comics - Started out as an okay superhero book and went downhill. Exhibits a lot of the things that people have come to hate Mark Millar for.
X-Men - Oh good god, no.
Invisibles - I didn't like it but I'm in a minority there. I'll say that it's going to come down to if think you'd like Grant Morrison at his most Grant Morrisoniness.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time I hear someone call paper that isn't glossy "newsprint" I want to stab them sit them down for a lengthy, boring lecture on the differences in paper stocks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chalk up another Amethyst Showcase purchaser.

The thing I find really odd on that list is this:

quote:

THE DC COMICS ART OF AMANDA CONNER HC
Writers: Barbara Kesel, Chuck Dixon, Jai Nitz, Terry Moore, Geoff Johns, Jimmy Palmiotti, Judd Winick,
Artists: Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti
Collects: SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1, BIRDS OF PREY #47-49, JSA CLASSIFIED #1-4, SUPERGIRL #12, WEDNESDAY COMICS #1-12, and stories from SECRET ORIGINS 80-PAGE GIANT #1, JOKER: LAST LAUGH SECRET FILES #1, the GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY WEDDING SPECIAL #1 and WONDER WOMAN #600
$39.99 US, 304 pg

I like Amanda Conner but that's a strange grab bag of stuff and I didn't think she was high profile enough for this kind of collection. Is this DC going, "See! We have a woman drawing comics for us!"?

I'm probably going to order that bronze age GL collection too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

She's got enough fans to justify collecting previously uncollected work. The grab bag of stuff is basically necessary - apart from Terra and Power Girl, has she got any long-form work for DC?

But that's just it. I'm not sure she does have enough fans to justify it. It's not like Power Girl was burning up the sales charts when she was working on it. She's one of the many brilliant creators out there who consistently do great work but haven't been on something with a high enough profile to become one of the stars of the industry.

It makes it seem like this is DC attempt to clumsily deal with the complaints about the lack of women in creative positions. They're practically saying, "See, even if we were complete dicks about this issue before we celebrate the chicks working for us!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Why in the gently caress is there a Geoff Johns omnibus for the Flash, but not a Mark Waid one? Not that the Geoff Johns stuff is bad, but isn't Johns' stuff essentially just building on Waid's legendary run?

As much as I'd rather have the Waid run I'm not objecting to an omnibus that costs as same as some of the OOP trades.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wow, there are major problems with the new Resurrection Man trade. On one double page spread one page is an fairly low resolution image of the page blown up. We're talking low enough resolution that the text is unreadable. Later in the book there's a double page layout where the split the pages the wrong way making the scene just a jumble.

The whole thing is a major disappointment to me. I had been really looking forward to that collection.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Slayer1597 posted:

That kinda makes me sad to hear. It is a very good story. Thanks for the Info.

Is Quest for the Spark any good, has anyone here read it?

I don't know about that but I would recommend Rose which was a short prequel written by Smith and drawn by the always incredible Charles Vess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Previews has got the list for May's Marvel books up.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=118188

As normal, just the titles and prices for now. No content info until the actual solicits go up.

Only a couple of things worth noting as far as I can see.

Definitely getting the BP Essential and... that's about it. Already got the three New X-Men OSHCs but I reckon a lot of people will be excited for a reprint of the omnibus.

Is it just me or are Marvel really slowing down with the amount of OSHCs they release? And they seem to be really ramping up the release of the Premiere Classics line. It's just a shame a lot of the books can hardly be considered "Classic".

I guess the Essential Black Panther series is going to be the Kirby Jungle Action stuff though that seems like it would be pretty light for an Essential.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was in a physical Barnes and Noble and I saw they had copies of the Kiss Kompendium on their discount shelves for $25. While that's a good price for 1200 pages of comics I don't care about Kiss so I let it go by. If you're interested though you should check your local store.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just got the one volume edition of Jodorowsky and Moebius's The Incal that came out a few months ago. I have to say that I'm left wondering why I haven't read this sooner. It is amazing. Every page is breathtaking and the story is pretty snappy as well. I know it's well known over in Europe but this really needs more exposure in the US; it's brilliant.

I'm also glad I popped over to Amazon to order it when I read about Moebius's passing last week. The prices have quadrupled since I bought my copy. I'm sure those will come back down though as time passes.

While I'm on the subject the only way Amazon has to get the prequel is a superdeluxe, signed and number, slipcase, and sketch edition. Is it worth it even without Moebius's artwork for the story?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I believe the prequel is going to be released in the same format as the Incal was - both were originally released by Humanoids as the stupid superdeluxe ones, then later by that other publisher.

I hope so, but I don't see any sign of another version of the one volume Metabarons book which looks like it got the same kind of release...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wildlele posted:

Its a must purchase. The art is amazing and tons of detail on the history of DC that we are losing too fast as the golden age creators die. Note based on an Amazon fish, the following is coming out.

Expanded from the Eisner Award - winning XL book, "75 Years of DC Comics", this new series hits the shelf at a reader friendly size with essays updated by author Paul Levitz and over 500 new images across five volumes. Thousands of covers and interiors, original illustrations, photographs, film stills, and collectibles have been reproduced using the latest technology to bring the story lines, the characters, and their creators to vibrant life, making this an invaluable reference for comics fans.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Golden-Age-DC-Comics/dp/3836535734/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ONGU5LXZJYJ0&colid=P2CZS1XUN7NL

I didn't know that they were doing this. Presumably the next four volumes will be the Silver Age of DC Comics, Bronze Age, Stupid Age, and Modern Age.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

According to Amazon, it's missing The Killing Joke, so probably like, half the reason to get it in the first place. I'm sure there's various other QA issues as well, but that was the major complaint from reading Amazon reviews.

I think there's something wrong with every single version of the Alan Moore collection. This ones not a big deal to me since I've got a Killing Joke hardcover but I definitely could see a lot of people being pissed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nawid posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the current paperback edition.

They lack the Image stories from the current hardcover.

Not that it's any great loss; they weren't very good and I'm pretty sure Moore was just doing them to pay for From Hell...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Is this the most recent edition of the Incal?

I agree with d00gZ. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and it is gorgeous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Okay, that makes sense. I was just incredibly confused, as people were heaping praise on that. I didn't pick it up when it came out, and of course that means it's a pain in the rear end to get now.

I was about to give a bit of advice about the UK version actually being easier and cheaper to get in the US than the actual US release but then I remembered there's been a big spike in prices. You'll just need to wait for the supposed reprint to come around, I'm afraid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Marvel solicits not up yet but the Previews list is and, oh-mercy-me, there are a couple of very nice surprises. Namely:

MAY120729 CRIMINAL DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 02 (MR) $49.99

MAY120734 MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC $125.00

I'm very happy about a second Criminal OSHC and I may very well upgrade from my Essentials to the Man-Thing Omnibus (assuming it contains all of Gerber's run). It's been months since Marvel released a book I actually want to buy and here come two at once!

There's also

MAY120748 X-MEN BISHOPS CROSSING HC $49.99

Which I assume is oversized based on the price. No idea what it contains as it's probably from well after the period I stopped giving a poo poo about the X-Men.

Definitely getting the Criminal Deluxe but as much as I love Mike Ploog art (as you all should!) I don't think I'm going to get the Man-Thing omnibus. This is one instance where I think the B&W job of the essentials is a better choice for the art.

Which shouldn't discourage anyone interested in it. I think that run of Man-Thing is an underrated classic. It's just that $125 price tag is pretty steep for the material.

I'm also ordering the Herc complete series trade since it's unlikely we're getting a hardcover release.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC $75

Definitely getting this.

Anyone know how Dr. Strange Season One is? I haven't heard anything about it at all but it has people I enjoy on though they're not necessarily my top picks for a Dr. Strange book.

Incognito: The Classified Edition sounds like it's essentially the Incognito omnibus. And there's Criminal Deluxe Edition volume 2 as well.

I noticed that Fraction's X-Men run is getting a "complete collection" treatment, bypassing an omnibus. Still it looks like a good deal for the amount of material in the book (especially compared to some of those other trades).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Why wouldn't you? It is an awesome series and complete story. The only bad thing in it is Brotherhood and that fucken thing makes no sense what so ever.

Yeah, that's one of the better omnibuses Marvel has published recently. You've got incredible art, a great story, and everything from beginning to end in one book. It's one of those things the omnibus line was made for.

I suspect they added The Brotherhood because it's the only X-Statix story that wouldn't be in the omnibus if they left it out even though it's pointless, awful, and completely unessential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghost Boner posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Slipcase-Set-Neil-Gaiman/dp/1401238637

So this has shown up on Amazon. It's a slipcase with all 10 Sandman trades (the new editions).

Whether or not this is real, I don't know. If it is I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

If Amazon has it then it's at least on the publishing schedule. There's no guarantee that it won't be pulled off the schedule later but it's definitely there right now.

I think I prefer my Absolutes in this situation, though.