Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yes! I've been waiting for that!

Shameless posted:

And the bad news... Limited edition of 1000, only available from the 2000 AD online store and Bleeding Cool are reporting it's going to be £100.

Been waiting for this for a long time but at that price I'll pass. Hopefully a more reasonable priced version will come out further down the line.

What the hell? Yeah, I'm not ponying up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Tonight I got all butt hurt over the lack of John Ostrander Specter collections. What the gently caress DC?

Look man, it only took around ten years to collect Solo, the most critically acclaimed series they've published in the first decade of the century. For something like Ostrander's Spectre they need to to really build up to it. Expect it sometime around 2073 and in the mean time, have an absolute edition of Jeph Loeb's greatest works!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Dark Horse is actually pretty good at maintaining an existing line. They did a 27th volume of the Spirit Archives when DC stopped and have picked up a few others collected series where they try to make them match existing editions.

In fairness to DC (and obviously they don't deserve much), the 27th volume is material that they didn't have the rights to. Alan Moore wasn't going to let them reprint his story, for example. And considering volume 25 wraps up the "real" Spirit stories and volume 26 collects the daily newspaper strip, it's not like DC was doing a crappy job.

In terms of Dark Horse, I was surprised that they rounded out the Nexus archives. I figured that they wouldn't even reach the end of the First (as opposed to first) series given the lack of appeal once Steve Rude left but they went through with it. Now I wish they'd collect their own Nexus miniseries in those archive formats, especially since the Dude returned for a few of those.

While double checking to make sure they didn't announce volume 13 behind my back, I noticed that Amazon has a Nexus omnibus for the Kindle that has what would be roughly the first fifteen issues for just $12 (probably up through the stand alone issues before the extended storyline that introduced the Merk). Buy this brilliant series! Even if it doesn't come with the record for issue three of the Capital series. :v:

Edit: I found a description for the second digital omnibus for Nexus and it told me that there were fourteen issues in the first one and stops exactly where I thought it did. The second volume should take you through the point where Rude stopped doing the art every issue.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 31, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Dark Horse had planned to continue their own line once they acquired the Spirit rights. They were going to reprint pretty much everything Spirit related in matching HCs but then DC decided to re-up their license for some reason and hosed up those plans.

Wasn't that right around when Darwyn Cooke did his Spirit series? Because if so, I'm willing to accept that sacrifice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just stumbled onto this deal. For the next two days the Kindle version of various Deadpool collections are $3 at Amazon.

Edit: Iron Man and GI Joe as well. Sadly I've got all of those I want so I can't tell you the quality of the Kindle versions.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 3, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Further concerning comics from that era, are there any collections which compile the issues of FF v.3 which preceded the Waid/Wieringo run?

A quick check tells me that Marvel has not committed that crime against humanity. Trust me when I say that you are better off for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've a general question for the thread; which series or particular runs on a series that haven't been collected in Marvel Omnibus/DC Absolute/etc editions a) most deserve to be and b) are you most surprised haven't been already?

This is an easy one for me: Ostrander's Spectre. There is one trade that was published early on (I want to say during the first year of it) that collects the first four issues and nothing else of the spectacular five year long run that redefined the character and colored a lot of the DC universe since. It's a crime that this isn't collected.

Of course, Ostrander got the short end of the stick when it comes to all of his terrific work at DC...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

This time, I may have gone too far:

Well, that certainly makes for a more satisfying book burning, but it seems like a bit too much effort for that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements

I'd get excited but this is DC we're talking about. There will be a delay of a year, one volume, and then we never hear of it again.

Also, how the gently caress do you do Absolute All Star Batman and Robin? Let's wait for Frank Miller to finish it first. :v:

Hey, Showcase Presents The Atomic Knights is back on the schedule and there's a possible Captain Carrot Showcase! I'll be getting those.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

We will get it when the soft cover of Starman Omnibus 3 comes out.

They have to finish printing Suicide Squad volume 2, first.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I organize by character for super books, title for everything else. And I've got a glass case for omnibuses.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

here's a weird one, i bought a copy of a book that is alt takes on movie posters on a recommendation from a friend and it is, in fact, awesome. i got it new off ebay for under cover, 34 i think, and i just relaxed the spine opened the first page and it looks to be signed...nothing about being signed on the listing..trying to find any pictures of that title page so i know i'm not crazy, but it looks like a sharpie signature not a printed repro

NM not that exciting, except now I shoulda got it from him direct cuz it's even cheaper.. Too bad I already ordered both volumes haha damnit

Sick book though!

I've had that happen a few times. My copy of Dangerous Visions came with a Harlan Ellison signature. My favorite was when I bought Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and I saw a copy was available from a Baltimore Goodwill. I had to go with that and of course it was signed by David Simon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Fantagraphics is having a 40% and free ship over 75 sale today for cyber monday. i pulled the trigger on 2 studio editions i wanted to add to my charles burns version. soooo... preeetttttyy happy :)

e: preorders don't count with the discount..but i added one anyway to my order to see if it'll ship free on release..also yet to see a studio version for more then 30% discount and i track prices on em. hard to beat the price right now.

Thanks for pointing that out. I grabbed a couple of Carl Barks books and a box set of EC stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

I want like 90% of the books they publish, one of the coolest companies and nicest production on books around. I do hate they never reprint things, so many books I'd kill for but don't want to pay the piper

Definitely. There were a dozen other things in the sale I wanted, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. If someone wants to get me those early Hal Foster Prince Valiant box sets, I wouldn't complain...

I don't have any specific EC recommendations just because I haven't been getting the current books which organize by creator and theme rather than by comic. It made me pause when I went to get some EC stuff a couple of months ago but at $60 for a four book box set I didn't mind going for it. I got box set 5, FWIW, but anything with Joe Orlando is a good option.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm really out of touch with the last 3 years worth of published stories so i started looking at trades and so much poo poo is already out of print. So frustrating.

Tell me about it. I'm trying to catch up on Usagi Yojimbo and the three volumes or so between where I am the stuff in print only have copies for $70+. I found a used copy of one of them (the next one I needed) at a local store's half off sale where it was marked $8, so that was great. It's incredibly frustrating to try to catch up on books now...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What are you missing? I have a random Usagi HC in my sales pile.

Dark Horse softcovers 29, 30, 31, and 32 (I had to go back and check to make sure those were what I was missing).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I moved last year and I worked out that I had roughly 4 tons of books. I wouldn't mind giving 60% of them away, but I don't know anyone who would want them. This is stuff even thrift stores would say, "Hard pass," to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I don't even want to know how much my stuff weighs.

Work out how many cubic feet of books you have, then multiply by the density of paper. Knock off 10% for packing gaps and round down. The number should be in the right ballpark.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The first Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus is getting a reprint in November, apparently. If this means that the rest of the series is finally getting released in omnibus format, that would be amazing. I do believe the original printing had a big fat 1 at the bottom, so maybe they'll finally deliver on the inferred promise of a volume 2. :v:

Actually, the first printing has a "Barnes & Noble" at the bottom since it was compiled into that format for the bookstore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

That's a different release. Marvel made their own omnibus and B&N did a separate version for bookstores.

I'm fairly sure the contents of both are the same. I actually like the design of the B&N version better, so I wouldn't mind if that one got a second volume either.

If it's the exact same content in the exact same format but printed at another time, then it's another edition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I stopped using Instock Trades when they took over six weeks to ship a book. That was over ten years ago, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you like Dennis O'Neil batman, is the Neal Adams omnibus basically your best bet?

The recoloring isn't great and it skips issues even if they're part of the storyline if Adams didn't do the art. On the other hand, it is the most complete collection you're going to find...