Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
I just ordered the Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker Immortal Iron Fist Omni, hope I enjoy this, I remember hearing tons of positive buzz back in the day, but I was so new to comics when that was coming out that I didn't want to leave my insular DC fanboy bubble.

I'm really torn on rather or not I want the Absolute Final Crisis. I own every issue in singles, loved it when it came out, but haven't read it beyond the second reading. Since then I've grown to sort of dislike it in retrospect. I don't know if this is just the distance between me and the work alongside my exposure to people complaining about it catching up to me, or my actual opinion though. May have to dig out the singles and see if I'll finally cave and buy an absolute edition. But we should certainly try to shame them into including those Batman issues.

Also, does anyone know if they're ever going to solicit Uncanny X-Men Vol.2? Vol.1 came out ages ago to my understanding and I've been debating on rather or not I want to drop that much cash on Vol.1 (at least $175-$200) when it ends in the middle of an arc. Are they just waiting for the Marvel Masterworks line to catch up with them or what? I'm fairly new to collecting Marvel's hardcovers so I don't know much about the behind the scenes going-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

Uber Kosh posted:

It's a great book, you're going to enjoy it. What's a shame is there doesn't seem to be a second volume coming, which it badly needs.

Is this because the story cuts off abruptly? Or just because the uncollected material was good? Considering the upcoming Defenders book will supposedly feature Iron Fist prominently, we might end up getting one.

Rhyno posted:

I totally want the Crossing Omnibus just to see if they can make sense out of it. Back when it was being released nobody could figure out what order to read half the drat books in and the "official" read list Marvel put out didn't work.

I'm kind of in a similar boat here. I'll probably wind up buying it if Amazon slips up and sells it for under $60 at some point. Mostly out of morbid curiosity. I've always wanted to read it, but there isn't really any way to get it outside of floppies. Any idea how many pages it'll wind up being?

If anything, I could turn it around and write up a humorous issue by issue analysis and make a few people laugh.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

Uber Kosh posted:

It only collects half the issues in the series. The second half is only in tpb or Premiere HCs.

I did not know about the Defenders book. Hopefully it goes well enough to get the second IF book.

Well the current omnibus only collects the Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja run, the remaining issues were written by Duane Swierczynski, who to my knowledge is a pretty good writer. They could also collect the 5 issue "Immortal Weapons" Miniseries that ran shortly after Immortal Iron Fist was canceled, which Swierczynski also worked on.

Anybody other than myself really want to see a David Michelinie's Iron Man Omnibus see the light of day? They'd have to do two of them (Vol.1 could collect 116-157, Vol.2 could collect 216-250 and Annual #9). That was a great run of stories though and if they can put out an Omnibus of The Crossing, they could surely put out one of these. Especially with that Michelinie and Layton Iron Man Forever miniseries coming out at some point.

Also, with The Crossing on the way, anyone else think we'll see an Onslaught Omnibus in a year or two?

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
For those of you who are interested, Avengers the Crossing and Avengers: Kree/Skrull War Hardcovers are now up for pre-order on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Crossing-Bob-Harras/dp/0785162038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321948625&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Kree-Skrull-Roy-Thomas/dp/0785164790/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321948947&sr=8-2

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
My Christmas haul was pretty nice. Astonishing X-Men Omnibus, X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song OSHC, Secret Wars Omnibus, Transformers IDW Collection Vol.1 & 2 (Gotta love me some oversized Don Figueroa art in Vol. 2).

I'm a little peeved about the New X-Men reprint, mostly because I snagged a Near Mint copy at a yard sale for $80 a few months back >_< But collectors rage aside, I'm happy everyone will be able to get it for under $250 now.

The Secret Warriors and Remender's Punisher Omni's are already Preordered. As well as S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Human Machine and the X-Men: Operation Zero Tolerance OSHC.

Oh, and I've also conned some friends into getting me the Avengers Crossing Omnibus as a joint Birthday gift. So I'll have someone else to blame for that one.

Torn on getting the Infinite Crisis Omnibus or binding my singles, I have almost every issue that was retroactively labled as build up for that story (as far back as Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day #1) and most of the non-red skies tie-ins. It'd likely take several volumes to bind all of that though...

Also, if DC is willing to make these massive Omnibi now, who wants to bet we'll see a 52 omni within the next year? I'd double dip for that. I loved 52.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
My Age of Apocalypse Omni came in, anyone else have a defective one? The last few pages of my are just stuck in there. Like they were inserted as an after thought. I honestly thought it was an insert at first until I saw the TPB cover gallery was continued on the next page that was bound to the book. It's not like they fell out, the look like they never met glue in their lives.

Tales of Wonder was really nice about it though. Replacement is on it's way.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
The David Michelinie Iron Man Omnibus ships soon doesn't it? Good thing I get paid this week.

I've been rereading my way through the Jonathan Hickman Secret Warriors Omnibus. Any idea how long before we get a Omni of his Fantastic Four? It'll most likely be two volumes.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
Weird, I guess mine just hasn't shipped yet then.

Hopefully we start catching wind on a F4/FF omni soon. His Secret Warriors got an Omni pretty fast if I recall.

Zevin_Mars fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2013

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

RevKrule posted:

If you purchased from amazon, comic shops get trades from diamond usually a couple weeks before places like amazon.

Also, there was a year between the last Secret Warriors issue and the omni so there's still hope it's coming. There's also a chance that with all the issues Marvel has had with gigantic format omnis recently, they're reluctant to release a new one of that size until they fix the problems.

What problems have Marvel had with their large Omnis? I've never had any problems with the larger ones I own.

With all the positive buzz Hickman's work gets and a Fantastic Four movie in the works, I don't think it's any great leap to think the omnibus will happen. I imagine a Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus would be split into two volumes anyway. When you tally up the issues he wrote its:
Fantastic Four: Dark Regin #1-5
Fantastic Four #570-588, 600-611, 605.1
FF #1-23

That come out to what? 60 issues? Have they ever broke 50 issues on a single volume before, most of the ones I've looked at stop in the 40s?

I'd assume they'd split the run at the obvious break in the story, with Volume 1 being smaller and including FF:DR #1-5 and F4 570-588, and Volume 2 having FF 1-22 and F4 600-611, 605.1. Of course, Marvel has been known to just split volumes abruptly, so who knows where the cut off could occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

RevKrule posted:

The weight of the large omni's can cause the cover to peel off after time. The Simonson Thor and X-statix books I guess are notorious for it. I have both and haven't had a problem but I guess it is a well known issue.

Peel off? How so? I've not had any problems with mine either.