Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder if you could skip the omnibus and just get by on the GL:BD trade that only has the GL issues during the event.
Brightest Day (the series) is a whole load of mediocre Hawkman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawk and Dove, and Deadman stuff you probably wouldn't care about. Not sure how much if any GL lore you'd miss by skipping it. It's been a while.

Hey, that Deadman stuff was good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I got the Fourth World Omnibus!

I got that for Christmas, and good grief is it awesomely unwieldy.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Does anyone know if the Hellboy Library editions are being cancelled? Looks like the prices on Amazon have gone up a few bucks, and some are showing the stock as limited. I got Hellboy in Hell for Christmas, but don't have the others, and want to make sure I pick them up before they are OOP.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Dunbar posted:

I'm curious to see what people think about whether giant omnibus hardcovers are better for collecting and display or for actual reading. I've been slowly trying to buy some bigger hardcovers of favorite runs of mine and also older runs I'd like to read but have no other way to check out. So I got the new Jack Kirby omnibus and it is so massive it is virtually impossible to sit and read comfortably. I always see the big HCs are super popular among collectors so I'm curious if people actually buy these things to read or if they just look nice on a shelf. I'm getting to the point where I think if it's something I want to read or plan to re-read in the future, I'm better off buying trades where available than the giant HCs.

This New God's one is the first one I've gotten that's actually too hard to read. I found that laying it flat at the kitchen table is the optimal way to read it, but that's certainly not optimal...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Is there anything significant missing from the Hellboy Library editions? I know its going to be more expensive than buying the omnibus editions that are coming out soon but I like the art so much that it warrants a large hardcover set.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that if I want the rest of the Hellboy universe stuff its going to be in various forms that don't necessarily look like a coherent whole.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new Omnibuses(i)? are being printed in chronological order while the library editions are in publication order.

I was waffling myself, and wound up going with the library editions.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This is slightly off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask...

As a hobby my wife writes in her spare time. She has written a few full length novels, but just keeps them to herself. As a gift I'd like to have one of them printed into a physical copy. Something simple like the ones displayed in the OP:

I know this thread is typically for binding, so I wasn't sure if anyone knew of a way to have the book printed / finished so it looks like a real book? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Assuming those are being bought and read, as opposed to just collected, it's beautiful.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I taught myself quite a bit a few years back with Code Academy. It was enough to get a webpage up and functional when combined with some light googling. Not sure how much they have changed, but the format back then was extremely digestible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

sporklift posted:

My one gripe is the black cloth covers collect dust and hair easily and you might need to take a lint roller to them every once in a while.

This is worth restating. I love them, but the covers are super annoying.