Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This Just popped up in my recommendations on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/ksxyx2l

The only AvX tie ins I already have are from WatX so the amount of "new" material here (plus a collected AvX babies) is tempting. With that said, I have no idea of the quality of everything else in the book. Does anyone here have it (or the relevant issues)? If so, how are they?

On a side note, does anyone know if Marvel is planning to release an oversized volume 2 for Waids run on Daredevil? I enjoyed the first one but in order to continue collecting, I'll have to go to vol 3 in the trades. While I've collected a series in multiple formats in the past (hello Journey into Mystery) the lack of a vol 2 on my shelf is going to be a constant bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Oh cool there's an OSHC of Phalanx Covenant solicited for November. I can keep buying awful 90s X-Men comics. :allears:

I already own most of these issues and the fact that it's 90's X-Men should put me off.

But the series was so convoluted at this point I can't help but love it. Consider this dialogue from a panel no bigger than a postal Stamp

Jean Grey posted:

There are things that a son should never know about his parents... ...Especially if they imperil the entire future probability that created Him! Is it even possible to avoid those memories?

Looks like I'm preordering this.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Does anyone own the Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus volumes? How are they? I see I can get them for $50, $45, and $60 on Amazon, and I remember the few issues I read being pretty good. But I'm also thinking it might be a little cheaper to track down the individual issues if I can average about a buck each, and then get them bound. It would take longer and be a lot more effort, but I find that kind of thing fun, now that I'm hardly buying any comics or toys anymore.

But most importantly, did his Flash run stay good, and is it worth owning for that kind of money?

I got the GL omni today in a sale so I can't comment on the material yet. However, while still not the same quality as a Marvel Omnibus, the binding on the book itself it pretty good. Had a scan through the book earlier and didn't see any severe gutter loss. The amount of material collected means the first and last 200 pages won't lie flat but it's a vast improvement over their previous efforts. Paper quality seems pretty good as well.

One thing to keep in mind though is that this is a heavy book. It's not as bad as the Invisibles omnibus released a while back but is still pretty unwieldy. Keep that in mind if it's an issue for you

If you get them custom bound you can stagger the material over more volumes so it'll not have the same problem (though it'll end up more expensive).

Edit: Well crap, I misread. I saw Geoff Johns and my mind jumped ahead of me. Sorry about that.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 3, 2015

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

What is the best way to read Sandman? Is the two omnibus set a good way to read it? I read most of my books on a kitchen / coffee table.

On the subject of Sandman, another option is "The Annotated Sandman'. In brief:

- each volume collects as much material as the equivalent absolute edition.
- more expensive than the softcover, less expensive than the absolute/Omnis
- The art is presented in black and white inks (no colour).
- As the title suggests the books also contain much wider margins, which are occasionally used for annotations which discuss the references in the text, writers notes etc.
-because of the above, the volumes are larger than the absolutes and should be read at a table.

While I've only read the first volume, I like them so far. That said, while the black and white works surprisingly well, some issues really lose something without the colour ("A Midsummer Night's Dream", some of the hell issues). I've also heard that the annotations get pretty sparse in subsequent volumes but cannot confirm yet. Would love to hear people's thoughts on them :v:.

If you've never read it before, I'd go for the softcovers. It's cheaper, so less of a loss if you end up not liking it and much more comfortable to read than the omni's which will hurt if you try to read them without a handy table.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Does anyone know if the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 is getting a reprint? I've delayed getting it and the prices are starting to go up. :emo: I just noticed this listing on Amazon though saying that it's being released on May 17th (although it also has the image and description of the Vol. 1 omni).

I tried checking Marvels release calendar and they don't have any info past March so I couldn't confirm what volume is being reprinted (if any). That said, I'm guessing that It's a reprint of vol 2 that has the wrong info. Amazon occasionally cocks up the description/image for omnibus preorders (At the time of writing the product information for uncanny x-men omnibus 3 currently has the blurb from the Daredevil omnibus companion). The page will hopefully be corrected closer to the release date. Can't say for certain though.

You could also try ordering it via a local comics shop since they get releases faster than the online retailers.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

The January solicits list a reprint of Omnibus vol 1 coming out in May so I expect the Amazon listing reflects that and they've just got the title wrong.

I also looked at the upcoming releases on the Masterworks site and there's no mention of a vol 2 reprint and those guys are pretty on the ball with knowing what's coming.

Ah balls. Was hoping it was volume 2. Thanks for the correction.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone pick up the Deadpool by Posehn & Duggan Omnibus? I was interested because its cheaper than buying the hardcovers i don't have. However, a lot of people are having issues with the binding. I'm hoping it's just a few bad copies but I don't wanna buy a book that falls apart after a couple of sittings.

Is everyone having issues with the binding or was it just a bad batch?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Realm of Kings is really just on the list for completion sake. If you're looking to move forward, you can just read Nova and GotG and skip any of the Realm of Kings specific tie-ins.

Appreciate you reposting that image. Been needing it for a while :).

Semi-related, assuming I wanna continue reading cosmic Marvel, is Bendis GotG essential reading? I know it has an omnibus out but Bendis is very hit or miss with me.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

No. I legit don't remember anything decent Bendis has written over the past couple of years except for maybe Iron Man. And yes, I'm unfortunately including Miles in that.

RevKrule posted:

After DnA, Galactic becomes kinda lovely and I'm not sure it's really recovered. Bendis brought a character back to life that dies at the end of the cosmic run then never really gives any real good explanation as to why he came back to life. That alone made gave it a sour taste to me.

I think it'll be a while before we get another really good quality galactic run at Marvel. DnA brought together some real magic and even they couldn't keep that together outside of anything they did dealing with space (see also their runs on DC in the new 52 and their run on New Mutants (although the lack of energy on NM could be chalked up to coming after the insane and brilliant run by Zeb Wells)).

Rats! I feared as much. Ah well, thanks for the input.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Barristicide posted:

Help! I can't decide between The Invisibles Omnibus or the four volume Deluxe Edition set...

They're similar in price. I'm wondering if one is preferable in terms of extra content, quality, etc. Anybody have an opinion?

As someone who has read both, the deluxe editions contain the same material as the omnibus, with superior binding to boot. I'd only consider the omnibus if it was significantly cheaper (say $50) than the deluxe editions.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is shadowland bad? Know very little about daredevil outside the waid and miller runs so I would seriously consider getting another daredevil omni. If it's a bad story though I won't bother.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ouch. Think I'll give that a pass then. I wonder why they're giving it an omnibus treatment? Still, it's not the first baffling omnibus marvel has publiched and probably won't be the last :v:.

Ah well, least there's plenty of other good runs to look into. Thanks everyone.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the New Teen Titans omnibuses have been getting new printings and are listed as 'New Edition' on amazon. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Teen-Titans-Vol-Omnibus/dp/1401277624/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XNTX3NWJWS81JA7K6Z5X

On a related note it looks like volume 3 will collect different material. The original collected the following:

TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #45- 61 and 66-67, NEW TEEN TITANS #38, NEW TEEN TITANS #1-6 and SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #3.

Meanwhile The new edition of volume 3 appears to collect the following:

TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #42-58, NEW TEEN TITANS #1-9.

A few questions:
-Do these omnibuses actually collect different material or is the amazon listing mistaken?
-How is the binding on these editions? Is it worth rebuying if I have the old editions?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone else order books from Amazon and they arrive in poo poo condition?

Last time i used them for comics I ordered the Seven Soldiers of Victory omnibus from them. It arrived with a tear in the spine which completley ruined half the pages.

Amazon is terrible for omnis.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone here pick up the Lucifer omnibus? I just got mine and while i like it the binding is tight, almost glued to the spine (example here at 4:13 https://youtu.be/qSDefa0ZYt4).

On the other hand, some peoples copies have binding akin to a marvel omnibus where theres a nice big eye and the book lays flat. Example here at 8:26: https://youtu.be/Jx4b6otX3GA

Just curious what other peoples experience has been with this one.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

Amazon sellers have the Little Nemo starting at over $700.

It is a really beautiful book but it is so unwieldy.

Yeah I didn't realise just how big that book was before I got it. Was a real pain to read, even when sat at a desk. Ultimately I ended up selling it on within months as I had nowhere that I could store the drat thing (too tall for the bookcase shelves, too heavy for the wall shelves, too wide and/or tall to go in my storage boxes etc).

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since this thread is focused on physical collected editions I figure this is the best place to ask a question about storage. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

So long story short my bookcase which holds my various xmen omnis has collapsed in a farcicle accident. It was an IKEA bookcase I've had it for over a decade I'm honestly suprised lasted as long as it did. Need a replacement and am looking for something strong to replace it. Hoping you guys have a good idea of what to look for/where to buy a good one (willing to pay more for a good one)

Main caviat is I want the dimensions to be as close to the original bookcase as possible.

Original dimensions:

Height = 192cm
Width = 60cm
Depth = 20cm

Any help would be appreciated

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

I use an IKEA Kallax and it seems to be the go to for a lot of collectors. It will fit omnibuses, absolutes and library editions. It will not fit anything larger though, so The Sixth Gun collectors will not fit.

Doesn’t seem to have your measurements, but maybe you can put one on top of another? I’ve see people do it and it doesn’t look that bad.

My largest books are omnis so that should be fine.

Looking on their website they have multiple KALLAX bookshelves, the only difference semms to be their price and sizes. Am I right in thinking that's the only difference and they are all good options for storage? Never used ikeas website before so sorry for the newbie question

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I'm still mulling over what shelves/bookcase to get. Several of you mentioned BILLY shelves from IKEA, something like this:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-90401932/

I have a follow up question based on the following:

obi_ant posted:

The only downside is that you *need* to secure them to the wall, the bottom has a cut out for your walls bottom trim. The last part might or might not be true, it’s been a while since I’ve been to IKEA.

Regardless of what shelves I end up with they're gonna be secured to the wall as I have an excitable dog and while she's not allowed in the office she can get there from time to time. My old bookcase wasn't attached to the wall and I'm honestly suprised I didn't have an accident in retrospect.

Am I right in thinking that the BILLY shelves are better than KALLAX shelves if I intend to secure them to the wall regardless? Or does it make little/no difference?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Marvel omnis going out of print quickly in Europe anyone else have difficulty grabbing a War of the Realms Omnibus? By the time I had enough money to grab 1 it was just gone.

I know omnis can sell out quickly but this seems faster than I'm used to.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

Someone here would buy it and then be lovely about the binding.

I feel very attacked right now :v:.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey, anyone here ever preorder an Omnibus from Amazon? With the stock issues marvel has had with their most recent omnis I decided to preorder the Uncanny X-men Omnibus Volume 4 and it was expected to deliver on March 5th. March 5th comes and suddenly the omni is listed as out of stock and my order page lists the expected delivery date as March 15th.

Has Amazon done this with anyone else and should I be concerned?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I would contact them right away. Best case scenario they'll tell you when it's expected to be delivered. Worst case scenario it's not coming and you'll get your money back sooner. :sweatdrop:

Well apparently I can expect it to be delivered on the 14th. They didn't give a reason but at least its still coming.

Considering the only Claremont X-men Omnibus I'm missing is inferno it would be poo poo to miss out on this.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is anyone else having trouble getting excited for the Hickman X-men Omnibus?

Don't get me wrong, he's doing great work. However I've found the most fun way to read the current era of X-men is to essentially read everything as it comes out (or via the dawn of x trades). While I'm sure you can just pick and choose a title to follow I'm loving all of them and having a book that only collects 1 Krakoa X title doesn't feel like a good fit for me.

Now if marvel released a set of Dawn of X hardcovers/omnis I'd buy those in a heartbeat. I doubt that's gonna happen though.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

It's not for first time readers but I think his stuff works well as a collection. Besides, it'll look good next to the House/Powers and X of Swords hardcovers.

Oh I don't doubt it'll look good. Just doesn't make sense for me personally (and possibly only me). If I ever revisit stuff I prefer to have it all in one place rather than jumping back and forth between books (hence why I prefer the dawn of x trades to the individual trades for each title).

In any event, I get why people are happy for this omni. For all my griping now don't be suprised if I end up buying it anyway once it actually comes out :v:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Why do you think they're not going to come out with a Dawn of X omni?

I think I was just feeling pessimistic and jumped to the conclusion that this Hickman omni means we won't get a dawn of x omni.

Now that I've had a good sleep it makes more sense that Marvel would do a dawn of x omni later andhope to get some people to double dip.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Invincible, has anyone got experience with the oversized compendiums? I don't have an issue with big books (pretty sure some of my Omni's are bigger) but the fact that it's paperback makes me worry about how well the spine will hold up.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Compendiums are generally huge and paperback. And I'd never buy a paperback with a huge binding like that because I imagine it'd be a nightmare to read and even a great binding probably is headed for disaster on something that big.

Rhyno posted:

The walking dead compendium have notoriously lovely binding. I'd say a solid half of the copies we stocked arrived damaged back in my shop days.

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. drat.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I would just look into getting the ultimate collection hardcovers. I bought the first few but never finished the series the first time around but I still plan to eventually and I finished up getting the rest last year. They're very well made. My first volume is even signed by Kirkman/Ottley and has an Ottley sketch on the inside cover which is a nice plus.

Yeah that's probably the route I'm gonna take. Looks like some books are out of print, though i think there's reprints coming if Amazon is to be believed.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any luck grabbing the Empyre omnibus? I pre-ordered mine in April and my store still don't have it. Had a quick look on Amazon and they don't have any either.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Previews says it comes out August 25th while the retail date at stores online shows September 7th. So you got a little while to wait.

So it's delayed everywhere then? That's a relief, thanks.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I just learned All Star Superman finally got a deluxe edition hardcover. Anyone else got it? I've been meaning to upgrade my paperbacks but recent DC hardcover have been disappointing.

Biggest question is how is the paper quality?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frameset posted:

A comic that good deserves Absolute edition, if you have the space of course.

If I had the space i'd grab the absolute. Unfortunately those are too big to fit in my book cases/shelves :(

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Had an amazing find today. Volume 1 of Grant Morrisons New X-men Hardcover at a shop in the market. The dust jacket has a bit of shelf wear and I already have the omni but I couldn't resist double dipping. The oversized hardcovers are my favourite collected format for that run but this is the first time I've seen one outside of my old city library.

Now I just wish I could find the other 2 volumes for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

A Kickstarter for a hardcover release of Mark Waid's Irredeemable trilogy went live today. Get them while they're still hot!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boom-studios/irredeemable

God drat it. I just bought the softcovers!

Looking at the shipping cost there's no way in hell I can afford these. Oh well :(