Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That spine stuff is always funny. And good to see Invincible and Dragon, two of my favs ever. I keep my Invincible hardcovers stacked, and I keep all my trades stacked in piles on shelving since you can cram more. I just gotta know where they are on instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool to see more people digging the Claremont run. I'm loving it too.

ruddiger posted:

Just got the Doom Patrol Bronze Age omnibus, drat is that a beefy rear end book. The editor sent me a dm when they were putting it together since I own a couple of the Larsen era pages so it was cool to see the raw scans in print.

That rocks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zachack posted:

As a Conan omnibus buyer I stopped when the price crept up and the discount at IST got smaller (ie the Fleisher run). I'll probably keep forking over cash for the Savage omnibii because I'm a sucker but Regular Conan supposedly goes downhill after Roy Thomas leaves somewhere around issue 150. I think there's a blog post by Cristopher Priest where he poo poo talks the era before his run, and since he can be hot or cold I think I jumped off at a decent time.

I will say the first 5 omnis are very good. Consistently great art and the stories are very, I suppose, distilled sword and (Conan hating) sorcery. I'm not sure if there's much else quite like it - it is functionally the standard to which things are applied, but the quality is high enough that it's like... why not just read the thing that sets the standard?

In other giant book news I got Books of Magic Vol 2 and between those and Grell's Green Arrow Omnibii if you drilled a hole in the middle of them you could use them for dumb bells. Like, I really appreciate that DC is collecting all of this in nice looking books but ffs they are immense.

Cool to see some Conan talk! This makes me want to check out more of the Marvel stuff. Love the Dark Horse stuff, especially Busiek. I've gotten a couple Savage Sword issues to fill in Howard adaptations Dark Horse didn't get to, but that does sound like fun stuff all around.

Tarantino in one of those podcast interviews mentioned how big a deal that Black Coast arc was at Marvel at the time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, cool to hear! I've got a lot of Conan on the to-read pile, including all the Truman Dark Horse run, their King Conan stuff etc. For Thomas I have that much later Road of Kings thing they did at Dark Horse.

The classic Thomas run does look like a lot of fun, I've got a few issues of their Savage Sword stuff (their adaptation of Red Nails, People of the Black Circle, and Horror from the Red Tower). Mainly being curious to see some adaptation for each Robert E. Howard story etc. But for sure I can see the appeal of that whole era of Conan, looks like fun.

Any bits or areas from that whole run you liked best? Did you like the main Conan book or Savage Sword better say, and does it start best, get better later, stuff like that? It does look pretty consistent. He also returned for an early 90s Marvel run I haven't heard much about.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 1, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering though, when does it all fit into the timeline? I'm not very familiar with the Marvel GN/comic space, so my assumption (judging from when it was first published) would be that this happened a bit after the first 'the gang's all together' MCU Avengers film, where they make it big etc, and this is just his downtime after that while everyone else is doing their own thing. I'm probably wrong though.

It takes place in the usual Marvel comics universe, sometimes called the 616 universe. Even though it has stylistic similarities, it's not that same timeline/continuity as the Marvel cinematic universe.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/hawkeye/4005-1475/

Here's a page with a bit of info and life story on the happenings with the comic version of Hawkeye. Stuff lower on that page may be considered spoilers. But he's been an Avenger for a long time before the Fraction comic takes place.

I'm not sure about the Kate continuity thing. Welcome aboard the comic (or Marvel) train!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on! Mark Waid's Daredevil run is one I saw some compare to Fraction's Hawkeye, that might be the run you're thinking of. Kind of fun modern stylish jumping on point. Right now Chip Zdarsky has a Daredevil run people like, and both him and Fraction do that comic Sex Criminals.

I heartily recommend Invincible if you haven't read that by the way, it's my go-to comic in this general area.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me, the cheap trade is the finest form of comic. We talk about the price of comics, and trades are kind of like paperbacks for novels, the most affordable way, at least for a lot of Image books etc. Though digital has its upsides.

I notice sometimes trade prices can creep up to say $20 usd for 5 issues, say the last two IDW Usagi Yojimbo trades. That's 4 dollars an issue, so it's not really more affordable than single comics at that point, which isn't a great deal. Usagi is worthwhile though, and had 7 issues for the same price for a few trades before that. Probably since it's leaving IDW.

Speaking of Usagi, I hope back at Dark Horse they keep doing full size regular trades, rather than the more digest sized ones. I wonder if he'll keep it in color as well.

I bought two of the Usagi Yojimbo saga books, and for me that's too far in the other direction, they're heavy as bricks. I like a light book I can raise up to my cranium.

I have some deluxe hardcovers, but I think the cheap trade is the way to go to spread the comic word far and wide.

Kirkman's books tend to have some decent trade prices, the latest Fire Power vol 5 is 16.99, $2.83 an issue, I can dig that. I'd say $20.99 for 6 issues is as high as I'd like to go at the moment.

Another fun thing I noticed, graphic novels don't have sales tax, at least in my state. Regular novels do have sales tax though, I guess its comics relation to periodicals that let graphic novels have no sales tax. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Amazon is closing The Book Depository, which is lame. That was my go-to site for Judge Dredd Case Files and cool UK releases like that. Looking into another good site for that, without shipping and price being bumped way up. Looks like Blackwells might be decent.

In general it would be cool for the Judge Dredd Case Files to be available in more US stores. I used to get orders from 2000AD's online shop back in the day, but it's not doable with their shipping prices now. For example it'd cost $17.24 for them to ship Case Files vol 41 to the US. I'm not a shipping expert, maybe these giant companies are able to get better deals for their cheap/free shipping. Or they're eating losses or something. The finest comic ever should be more readily available across the pond.

I use tfaw.com for my direct market stuff, and they don't have Dredd Case Files up for pre-order for example either. One day I'm probably gonna be buying this series on ebay like a schnook. To quote Goodfellas.