Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

wildlele posted:

When are you shipping damnitttttttttt! I want my EC Archives

http://www.amazon.com/Haunt-Fear-Ec-Archives/dp/0983948704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320059601&sr=1-1

Yeah, I preordered both but figure they won't really be shipping on November 2nd. Russ Cochran's site says they'll be "shipping late November" but nothing more specific than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I've always been interested in Judge Dredd and with the Complete Casefiles being reprinted and released in America I've started picking them up. I have a few Dredd newbie questions though.

1. Do the new editions of the case files released in America (http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Case-Files-01/dp/1906735875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343054676&sr=8-1&keywords=dredd+case+files) correspond to the UK only case files (ex: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1904265790/zetaminor-21) released in previous years? I'm not sure how committed they are to re-releasing these books, so if they stop putting them out I'd like to know if I can just switch over to the UK only releases.

2. Has there been any word as to whether or not IDW's Dredd license will affect the release of the case files?

3. How much Dredd material is uncollected in these volumes? I've read that episodes 11-12 and 17-18 (Progs 71-72/77-78) are uncollected due to fears about trademark infringement. Are there any other episodes that aren't in the casefiles? Is the only way to get these episodes to buy the original progs?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The US volumes don't use the solid color scheme like on the fronts and backs of the UK editions. They're mostly white and feature different head shots of Judge Dredd on all the volumes (except for 3, which has Judge Death).

They do, however, maintain the bizarre spine design of the UK versions, where the volume numbers seem to go up and down at random. The US spines look just like these, they're just white with black text instead of the colors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Since we're on the subject, have there been any rumblings of a Jason Aaron PunisherMAX Omnibus? It seems like it would easily fit and they gave him a Ghost Rider Omnibus so...

I'll probably not pick up any of the hardcovers in anticipation of an Omnibus and then they won't make one, leaving the HCs to become stupid rare just like Punisher MAX.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That said, all five of the US case files are marked down to 13 bucks on Amazon right now. I'm hoping some more come out once the movie hits, but I'm not sure how the whole IDW situation might affect them.

The contents of all the volumes are the same, however, so you can buy the US ones and then get the UK ones if they stop releasing them. The only reason not to is if you're really pedantic about the spines, but the spines for both sets are all hosed up anyway so it's not a big deal.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

To the poster who was wondering, I asked Matt Smith at 2000 AD about the US Judge Dredd Case Files publishing schedule and Volume 6 is slated for release next summer. So they're still coming out, but it seems like it's going to be a slow process. If you're hungry for Dredd, importing is the best way to go.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Anyone know if the last Punisher MAX run (by Jason Aaron) is going to be collected in a hardcover? The Garth Ennis stuff was all bundled together but the series ended last year and there are only TPBs out.

I've been looking out for this and nothing has materialized yet. It's kind of weird to be honest, the run was great and they even collected his Ghost Rider stuff in omnibus format shortly after he finished it. I'm feeling like I need to hurry up and just get the HCs because as the Punisher Ennis situation shows, Marvel is completely content to let those go OOP.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The EC Archives, fortunately, refuse to die. Dark Horse apparently has the license now and is working with Russ Cochran to continue the line. Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 and Vault of Horror Volume 03 are up first and they've given indications that the others may go back to print depending on the success of the others. I assume Dark Horse will put their own trade dress on these and the size/colors may change a bit, but I don't really care, I'm just glad they're continuing.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1444/dark-horse-publish-ec-library-tales-crypt-coming-h

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Received EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 today. The spine is different but the size is pretty much the same (slightly smaller, like the Haunt of Fear Archives), I could care less. This set started in 2006 and after all the rights issues and the death of Gemstone, I consider each subsequent volume that get released to be a blessing. Vault of Horror V3 is coming out in January and Weird Fantasy V1 is slated for release in April 2014. I really hope they finish up the Shock Suspenstories volumes next, but it looks like they may stick with the more popular horror and sci-fi/fantasy stuff first.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Dark Horse is wasting no time with the EC Archives license. Vault of Horror Vol. 3 is coming out next month, now listings for Weird Fantasy Vol. 1 (May 13) and Two-Fisted Tales Vol. 3 (Aug 12) are up on Amazon as well. Fantagraphics is also putting out a nice slipcase collection of their first four black and white EC books in April if that's your thing.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Tales from the Crypt Volume 5 came out today, officially making TftC the first EC New Trend title completely collected by the EC Archives. I never thought this day would come. The Archives started in 2006 and looked pretty much dead a couple of times, but dedicated people have continually worked to make it happen. I'm very glad Dark Horse has taken up a half completed line and worked hard at completing it, I'm looking forward to completing the collection of Vault of Horror and Shock Suspenstories soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Looks like Dark Horse is resuming EC Archives stuff after Covid, kind of odd they're doing Shock Illustrated volumes already. I can't really figure out their release strategy for these things, they've been fluctuating between Pre-Trend/New-Trend/New-Direction volumes lately. I wish they'd just go ahead and collect the rest of Frontline Combat so that all the New Trend stuff would be complete before the line sputters out.