Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I am very disappointed that that abomination was never made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've got the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus and I have had no problems with it, and that book is thick as morning dick.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Get up, a get get get get down, DC's trade department is a joke in your town.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I stopped buying the softcover trades of Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF after the first six or seven volumes so that I could read the whole thing in the omnibus but I just checked Amazon and discovered that it doesn't collect everything and that a volume 2 is coming at some point. :smith:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

redbackground posted:

It's a pretty long run, dude. (edit: 60 issues, I think? The gigantic loving ASM omnibus doesn't even have that many.)

Yeah, I put that together after I noticed the "Volume 1" in the title. Still disappointing.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah but it includes the Dark Reign: FF stuff, and it's printed in reading order too. I'm the same, I bought 5 or 6 of the HCs, but only read 1 of them because I saw the omnibus was on the way.

And that's the selling point for me, I think. The very thought of reading one issue in a trade, then another issue in another trade, and so on, really rubs me the wrong way.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Anyone know if there are any plans to collect Fraction's Defenders into an OSHC? I've heard it's great and I dig my shorter runs collected in the biggest books possible.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I'm going to wait until it's (hopefully) collected in Omnis since. They haven't announced anything yet but I can dream!

I'm doing the same and hoping for the best. I got the first two Avengers trades and the first New Avengers trade and love it so far but due to $$$$$ concerns at the moment and the wonky way that Infinity ties in I'm just going to omni-wait.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

God drat.

I'm jealous, that's awesome. Got to be a bitch to store though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Money has been super tight this last year or so but I just got a better paying job. I need to get caught up on my comics and I prefer larger formats (Happy Hippo n' omnibuses A/A/F). I'm dying to read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and was wondering if any OSHCs have been announced (I'm sure an omnibus will be a while). Does anyone know if they will blend in the NA issues with the Avengers issues like they are doing with the Fantastic Four/FF omnibus vol 2? Or is that not necessary? How does Infinity fit into all this (by this I mean when the omnibuses come out will it be included?)? Basically, what would be the best way to collect it all in the largest possible volumes?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

God drat it, Marvel, solicit Hickman's Avengers omnibus already.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Wait. Amazon says that Fraction's Hawkguy OSHC vol 2 comes out like 5 or 6 months after the omnibus. What in the gently caress

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm eyeing the OSHCs of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and Avengers volume 1 ends on issue 11 while volume 2 starts at issue 14. Where are issues 12 and 13 collected?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The Infinity HC.

Nope, it collects, "Infinity 1-6, New Avengers 7-12, Avengers 14-23, Infinity: Against the Tide Infinite Comic 1-2"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Ah, okay, nice, thanks!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Nothing yet which is surprising. Also let me go on record with how annoyed I am that they renumbered the re-release back to #1 with the Gaiman run.

God drat it, Marvel, please stop doing this.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

It's like CDs vs digital music.

Vinyl vs. digital music is like someone going "Well I prefer the 1940's era paper, the colors have so much more warmth and soul, and I feel the story deep in my heart in a way that modern paper just can't produce. It's too white, too sterile, too cold."

My wallet prefers I buy trades, OSHCs and omnibuses but there's just something about reading an old comic book. The experience is different. The smell of that old paper reminds me of my youth. :unsmith:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Fantagraphics is doing a complete Fletcher Hanks hardcover that contains material not included in the previous paperback collections:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1606999672

Nice! Though I'm not sure I could handle all that madness.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've been raiding the Ollie's here in Nashville lately. In fact, I came here to tell you guys to get on it but I see that word has gotten out :cool:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I really want that upcoming X-Men Children of the Atom box set that's due in March. Instead of covering a bunch of different arcs from every era it just chronologically goes from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's X-Men #1 to Uncanny X-Men #143, John Byrne's final issue.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've got an omnibus I'd like to sell but have no experience is getting omnis graded. Advice?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What book? Is it worth it to have that done? Grading TPBs/HCs is a pain in the dick.

X-Men vol 1. The Lee/Kirby book. I want that X-Men box set that comes out in March and the material in my omni would be a double dip

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've bought many hardcovers and omnis through Amazon over the years and not once have I gotten anything dinged or damaged in any way. Just lucky I guess?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

instocktrades.com is selling the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Box Set for $200 as opposed to the $500 retail cost. Amazon is selling it for $327 right now, for comparison. I just got mine in today :cool:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Ordered my X-Men box set and Uncanny X-Force omni from instocktrades and they sold out of both within like 2 hours or so

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I just got my Uncanny X-Force omni (haven't read it yet, but I've been looking forward to it for literal years) and my X-Men Children of the Atom box set in and god bless the baby angel in charge of days like today

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm interested in collecting X-Men in hardcovers, oversized hardcovers preferred, and was looking around at what's been collected in omnibuses so far to map out a game plan. The first six omnis (The X-Men volumes 1 and 2, Uncanny X-Men volumes 1-4) cover issues 1-193 but then there's a gap between Uncanny X-Men vol 4 and the Mutant Massacre omnibus where we're missing issues 194-209. Does anyone know if those are collected in an omnibus or an OSHC? tia

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

A question for anyone else who owns the X-Men Children of the Atom box set. The books in the box set are packed in together very, very tightly. Is this something that affects all of them, or specifically just mine? I own the Avengers box set too and those books aren't packed in even remotely as tight. tia

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone been to Ollie's lately? I really enjoyed Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman series, and those TPBs seem like the kind of books that would end up on deep discount at Ollie's, but I've never seen them there. Of course, I haven't been since before the pandemic started.

I'd also be interested in picking up a cheap complete set of Manhunter (the mid-'00s Marc Andreyko series) in TPB if I could get them cheap enough. I know those were all over Ollie's for a while, but I don't remember if they ever had all the volumes. Also, was that series any good? I briefly had Volume 1, but traded or sold it many years ago.

I have, I went less than a week ago and it was the usual stuff they'd had for a good long while. Ollie's in Nashville, if that makes a difference.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Any word or speculation on what Marvel's next box set will be and/or when it'll be announced?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

No thanks, I already own like all of that content (except for the exclusive 20 or whatever number page story) and $199 is loving ridiculous and also Disney can fund this poo poo themselves, thanks

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Geminites is good. The person who admins the group, Gem Mint Collectibles, also has a very good Youtube channel. He buys nearly every omnibus and OHC that comes out, so if you ever want a sneak peak at what a new collection is going to look like, he's your guy.

I'm in that group and have been following his Youtube channel for about two years. I've been into comics for most of my life and he taught me about stretching your spines on omnis. I never knew that was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnjiucGoiU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

My big years-long project is owning and reading everything X-Men related in omnis and OSHCs. I'm also a trade-waiter so I'm not up to date on what's what regarding floppies, and I'm wondering how Hickman's stuff is going to be collected. Should I be picking up the OSHCs (I got HOX/POX) or waiting for a potential omni? And there are what seem to be tons of monthly mutant books being published right now, so I'm wondering if these series are all being overseen by Hickman, and if so, do they need to be read in an order that is less intuitive a la Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Thanks, y'all

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

IST doesn't seem to have a listing for next month's Uncanny X-Men omnibus volume 3. Does this mean that it won't be one of the books offered for a deep discount?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I see it, I'd add it to your wishlist and be fast on that tuesday @ 3 pm est.

(only see the DM variant cover)

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/AUG150898/UNCANNY-X-MEN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-03-DM-VAR-SMITH-CVR

Thanks for the link! I STILL can't locate it by using their search bar for whatever reason so you just saved me a few bucks here. Again, thanks!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I think they hide books after it goes out of stock in the system when you search, but if you google instocktrades bookname you'll usually find the link to the book. It works if they restock a book exactly with the same variables, New PTG you can't exactly predict since it's going to be a new entry/isbn in theory, and (Res) seems to be a unique restock listing as far as I can tell. With the way they randomly restock omnis now it doesn't hurt to have those weird entries wishlisted so when they pop up you can be one of three people that gets one.

Also I figured out that each order link is its own element on the orders page, so you can block the number out as a hacky way of "hiding" already received orders. It'd be nice if they had that feature in the site but this works fine

Yep, I googled it like you said and found the Opena cover which is the one I prefer! Again, thanks!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Well poo poo. Instocktrades.com didn't have the New Mutants omni available this week like they were supposed to for some reason and now it's been deleted from their website altogether :negative:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Don't worry, New Mutants omnibus was pushed back a week. So 12/15.

As for it not being on the website, if it's not in-stock and you don't have a direct link to it, searching won't yield any results. Their site is weird.

Thanks!

edit; Okay, now I'm reading that the DM variant cover edition with the cover by Bob McLeod will be released on 12/16 while the standard cover edition with awesome Bill Sienkiewicz art won't be available until 12/23

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2020

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

New omnibus was just announced on the Near Mint Condition YouTube channel. What If..? vol 1 will be released in August 2021. It'll collect What If volume 1 #1-15 and #17-22. I think #16 is a Shang-Chi story and it can't be collected due to some rights issue with Fu Manchu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

How often does DC reprint their omnis? I'd like to get my hands on that Neal Adams Batman omni one of these days