Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

obi_ant posted:

Why is everyone going nuts over this book? Should I pick it up knowing nothing about the story?

Do you like Grant Morrison when he's doing his comics meta-commentary stuff? If so then you absolutely should get it. It's a distillation of pure G-Mo. It's arguably his best work and it's got gorgeous Quitely art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

The Masterworks messageboard is saying that, as of the latest diamond update, Flex has now slipped to Feb 29th. The number of times that this book has slipped down the schedules is giving me a bad feeling inside.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

d00gZ posted:

Keep in mind the excellent Peter Doherty is remastering and recoloring the entire comic, so the delays aren't ridiculous.

EDIT: The colorist, not the crackhead and horse addict

You're probably right but this is a pattern that I've seen far too many times, especially from DC. Slip, slip, slip, boom!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Matt Fraction's twitter says a Grendel omnibus is forthcoming.

It was solicited the other day. It's one of those smaller-sized Dark Horse paperback Omnibuses, not an HC.

I'll still probably get it though, I've been meaning to try Grendel for ages and this looks like a decent was to dip my toe in.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

bairfanx posted:

Anybody watching their Flex Mentallo advent calendar, I got an email from Amazon pushing it back to 3/22.

The last official Diamond release date change was the one putting it at the end of February. Given that Amazon always get their books later than the Direct Market that date sounds about right.

The latest Diamond shipping update (courtesy of the Masterworks Messagboard) says that the Batman vs. The Black Glove deluxe HC (reprinting the Batman and Son and Black Glove trades) has been cancelled and will be re-solicited at a later date.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

wildlele posted:

Probably adding additional content?

I can't think of anything that they realistically could add. Everything else is already available in the Deluxe format (except for the Time and the Batman stuff and there'd be no chronological sense whatsoever in including that)

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Maaayyyyybeeee they could upgrade the Batman vs the Black Glove HC to an Absolute and then do an RIP / Return of Bruce Wayne / Time and the Batman Absolute...

Not gonna buy 'em mind you. I can barely stand Tony S! Daniel's art at regular size.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Diamond shipping update from Jan 17th says the Flex HC has been pushed back to March 14th.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

New Previews listings for Marvel's April books.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=117329

Looks like we'll be seeing real solicits for the Remender Punisher and Secret Warriors Omnibuses

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The Secret Warriors omnibus is the only thing on that list that I'm going to get (I'm sure the Punisher stuff will be fun for those fans). Thinking on it the last few months of solicits haven't had a lot that thrilled me...

I'm the same. I've got the Remender Franken-Castle OSHC and they're the only issues I'm interested in. Think I'll probably pass on Secret Warriors too, I'm finding it very hard to care about anything Marvel's doing nowadays.

Will probably get the Mantlo hulk trade but that's pretty much the only upcoming Marvel trade on my radar. Even the Premiere Classics (which I used to lap up) aren't doing anything for me anymore.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/957

Flex Mentallo slips another week.

Edit: Just had a look through the Marvel solicits and wow, they're getting really fond of trades that collect a piddling four issues aren't they? And I wonder why the bulk of my money's going DC's way nowadays...

Shameless fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 25, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

My one hesitation for buying the Invisibles Omnibus is that it's crazy huge, and if it's anything like the Simonson Thor, it's going to fall apart basically mid-read.

I wouldn't say it'd fall apart but DC's bigger Omnibuses (see the New 52 HC as an example) all suffer from really tight binding and a shitload of art is lost in the gutter because the pages won't open flat.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

52 is well worthy of an Omnibus but I'm so very wary of DC's massive omnibuses and the too-tight binding they use. Have a look at the Masterworks Messageboard thread for some pictures of how much art is lost in the recent "new 52" omnibus

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/19150/Binding-Books-Laying-Flat--related-DC-Hardcover-Complaints

Some other highlights (for me) coming later in the year from DC...

quote:

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD VOL. 1 TP
Writers: Dan Mishkin and Gary Cohen
Artists: Ernie Colon, Ric Estrada, Pablo Marcos, Alex Saviuk, Bob Smith, Gary Martin, Romeo Tanghal, Kurt Schaffenberger and Karl Kesel
Collects: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #298, AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD #1-12, AMETHYST ANNUAL #1, DC COMICS PRESENTS #63 and AMETHYST #1-11
$19.99 US, 648 pg

I'm buying it. :colbert:

quote:

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: ALAN DAVIS HC
Writer: Mike W. Barr
Artists: Alan Davis, Paul Neary, Mark Farmer, E.R. Cruz, Terry Beatty, Carmine Infantino, Dick Giordano,
Collects: DETECTIVE COMIS #569-575, BATMAN: FULL CIRCLE #1 and a story from BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #25
$39.99 US, 272 pg

An awesome (and much overlooked) little run from Barr and Davis, very highly recommended but it's maybe a little slim for the price point. Whatever, I'll be buying it.

quote:

STORMWATCH VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artists: Tom Raney, Oscar Jimenez, Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary, Randy Elliot and others
Collects: STORMWATCH #48-50 and #1-11
$29.99 US, 384 pg

Never read Ellis' Stormwatch but I've heard good things.

quote:

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: GIL KANE HC
Writers: Martin Pasko, Bob Rozakis, Marv Wolfman, Gil Kane, Cary Bates, Roy Thomas and Joey Cavalieri
Artist: Gil Kane
Collects: SUPERMAN #367, 372, 375, ACTION COMICS #539-541, 544, 545, 546 and 551-554, SUPERMAN SPECIAL #1, 2 and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #3
$39.99 US, 392 pg

Looks like they're doing for Superman what they've done for Batman with the Colan/Newton/Rogers books, and I do love me some Gil Kane.

quote:

DEADMAN VOL. 3 TP
Writers: Bob Haney, Arnold Drake, Paul Levitz, Cary Bates, Martin Pasko and Gerry Conway
Artists: Dick Dillin, Mike Grell, Fred Carrillo, Jim Aparo, Kurt Schaffenberger, Romeo Tanghal and others
Collects: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #223, 227, PHANTOM STRANGER #33, 39-41, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #133, SUPERMAN FAMILY #183 and DC SUPER STARS #18
$16.99 US, 176 pg

Amazed that these classic Deadman trades are continuing but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

quote:

KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Jack Kirby, Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz
Artists: Jack Kirby, D. Bruce Berry and Mike Royer
Collects: KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH #21-40
$49.99 US, 416 pg

Full list here:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/01/30/dc-comics-fall-2012/

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

redbackground posted:

That threw me as well. That's uh, kind of necessary. I'm hoping it's just a sloppy solicit.

The article does say "Please note, this information is not final and may be subject to change. For more complete information, please check the upcoming solicitations in Previews or online."

DC have changed contents in the past between announcements like this and actual solicits (well I'm pretty sure they have...)

Shameless fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 31, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

I know a bit bit of a petty old man when it comes to these sort of things but DC really know how to piss me off. Two trades, released on the same day: Catwoman has the covers in all the right places, Resurrection Man? Covers all bunched together at the back.

Dicks.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Though it also made me realise that I completely missed the announcement of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus - do we know how many of the OSHCs that'll collect? It'd be nice if they at least synchronised with the ones I have already.

I'm pretty sure it collects the first three OSHCs. Issues 1-39 and the 1/2 issue.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yay!!

quote:

HELLBOY LIBRARY EDITION VOLUME 5 HC

Mike Mignola (W/Cover), Duncan Fegredo (A), and Dave Stewart (C)

On sale July 11
FC, 408 pages
$49.99
HC, 9" x 12"

Hellboy has racked up multiple Eisner Awards, numerous spinoffs, a novel line, video games, cartoons, and two feature films. Hellboy Library Volume 5 collects two complete trade paperbacks, Darkness Calls and The Wild Hunt; the short story The Mole; and an extensive selection of previously unreleased sketches and designs.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.

Absolutely agree, for both production quality and value for money they cannot be beaten.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did Image push the King City trade back? I thought it was supposed to come out at the end of the month but Amazon has it coming out in March and if I have to wait another month for this stupid thing I'm going to flip my wig!!

I think it's still due to come out Feb 22nd. Amazon dates are NOT release dates, they rarely get trades on the release date, they almost always get them a few weeks later.

edit: ^^ What he said ^^

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Previews has got the list for May's Marvel books up.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=118188

As normal, just the titles and prices for now. No content info until the actual solicits go up.

Only a couple of things worth noting as far as I can see.

quote:

MAR120695 ESSENTIAL BLACK PANTHER TP VOL 01 $19.99

MAR120638 NEW X-MEN OMNIBUS HC NEW PTG $125.00

MAR120655 X-MEN OPERATION ZERO TOLERANCE HC $75.00

Definitely getting the BP Essential and... that's about it. Already got the three New X-Men OSHCs but I reckon a lot of people will be excited for a reprint of the omnibus.

Is it just me or are Marvel really slowing down with the amount of OSHCs they release? And they seem to be really ramping up the release of the Premiere Classics line. It's just a shame a lot of the books can hardly be considered "Classic".

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I guess the Essential Black Panther series is going to be the Kirby Jungle Action stuff though that seems like it would be pretty light for an Essential.

I think it's got the McGregor Jungle Action stuff in too. Amazon lists both McGregor and Kirby and says it's 528 pages.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did Image push the King City trade back? I thought it was supposed to come out at the end of the month but Amazon has it coming out in March and if I have to wait another month for this stupid thing I'm going to flip my wig!!

Barndon Graham's just tweeted that the King City book has been delayed till March 7th.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Re: Batman Year One - Deluxe HC, another book I won't be buying...

David Mazzucchelli posted:

DC just sent me this book last week, and I really hope people don’t buy it. I didn’t even know they were making it, and I don’t understand why they thought it was necessary — several years ago, DC asked me if I’d help put together a deluxe edition of Batman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for months to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever’s in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage. First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork — probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third — and worst — they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work. Anybody who’s already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund.

http://www.tcj.com/david-mazzucchelli-disavows-forthcoming-batman-reprint/

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Marvel solicts are out.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37680

Books of interest:

quote:

MARVEL ZOMNIBUS HC
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN, KARL KESEL, MARK MILLAR, REGINALD HUDLIN, FRED VAN LENTE, FRANK MARRAFFINO & MORE
Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, TODD NAUCK, ADAM DEKRAKER, ROB DISALVO, GREG LAND, MITCH BREITWEISER, FRANCIS PORTELA, KEV WALKER, KANO, FERNANDO BLANCO & MORE
Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
The smash-hit Marvel Zombies saga is collected in one meaty, macabre tome! The dead walk — and leap, fly and climb walls — when Marvel’s mightiest are transformed into flesh-eating monsters! After devouring every single person on Earth, the ravenous once-heroes set their sights higher — taking on Galactus, spreading into space, and breaking into new and delicious dimensions…including our own! Lock your doors, and board up your windows — the Marvel Zombies are coming for you! Collecting MARVEL ZOMBIES: DEAD DAYS, MARVEL APES: PRIME EIGHT, MARVEL ZOMBIES: EVIL EVOLUTION, ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #21-23 and #30-32, MARVEL ZOMBIES #1-5, BLACK PANTHER (2005) #28-30, MARVEL ZOMBIES 2 #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES RETURN #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES 4 #1-4, MARVEL ZOMBIES 5 #1-5, and MARVEL ZOMBIES SUPREME #1-5.
1200 PGS./Parental Advisory …$125.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4026-9
Trim size: oversized

NEW AVENGERS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS with WARREN ELLIS
Penciled by DAVID FINCH, STEVE MCNIVEN, FRANK CHO, MIKE DEODATO JR., HOWARD CHAYKIN, LEINIL FRANCIS YU, OLIVIER COIPEL, PASQUAL FERRY, JIM CHEUNG, ALEX MALEEV, DAN JURGENS, RICK MAYS, MARC SILVESTRI & MORE
Cover by DAVID FINCH
VARIANT Cover by JOE QUESADA
The first half of Brian Michael Bendis’ radical Avengers revamp is collected in one massive volume! When the Avengers are disassembled by an insane Scarlet Witch, a new and decidedly different team rises to take their place — including Spider-Man, Wolverine and Luke Cage! These New Avengers face down a prison break, the secrets of the Sentry, the menace of the multi-powered Collective and more — and even find time to celebrate the marriage of one of their own. But when a terrible tragedy kicks off a superhuman Civil War, will the newly created team be irrevocably shattered? Collecting AVENGERS (1963) #500-503, AVENGERS FINALE, NEW AVENGERS (2005) #1-31 and ANNUAL #1, NEW AVENGERS AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1, GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-WOMAN #1, NEW AVENGERS: ILLUMINATI (2006) #1, CIVIL WAR: THE CONFESSION #1, CIVIL WAR: THE INITIATIVE #1 and NEW AVENGERS MOST WANTED FILES #1.
1208 PGS./Rated T+ …$125
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6489-0
NEW AVENGERS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC QUESADA COVER (DM ONLY)
1208 PGS./Rated T+ …$99.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6575-0

THE STAND OMNIBUS HC SLIPCASE
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Penciled by MIKE PERKINS
Cover by MIKE PERKINS
The Stand is a classic tale of good vs. evil, loss weighed against redemption and despair pitted against hope. It is an apocalyptic vision of man’s battle to save life against a worldwide plague of death. When the viral strain dubbed “Captain Trips” works its way across the face of the country, the painfully few survivors are launched into a nightmare that’s only just begun — but for the Dark Man, Randall Flagg, it’s a dream come true. Based on the masterpiece of apocalyptic horror by celebrated author Stephen King, this lavish adaptation is packed with extras in a two-volume slipcased set! Collecting THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #1-5, THE STAND: AMERICAN NIGHTMARES #1-5, THE STAND: SOUL SURVIVORS #1-5, THE STAND: HARDCASES #1-5, THE STAND: NO MAN’S LAND #1-5, THE STAND: THE NIGHT HAS COME #1-5 and THE STAND SKETCHBOOK.
1120 PGS./Parental Advisory …$150.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5331-3

INCREDIBLE HULK BY JASON AARON VOL. 1 HC
Written by JASON AARON
Penciled by MIKE CHOI, MARC SILVESTRI & WHILCE PORTACIO
Cover by MARC SILVESTRI
Marvel Architect Jason Aaron joins forces with legendary artist Marc Silvestri! The Hulk and Bruce Banner are now separate entities — but Bruce wants the Hulk back. The Hulk is assigned to take Banner down, but Bruce isn’t going without a fight. As the Hulk makes an alliance with mad scientist hunter Amanda Von Doom that changes his destiny forever, Banner unleashes his army of Hulked-out monsters! It all culminates in the fight everyone’s been waiting for: HULK VS. BANNER! Collecting INCREDIBLE HULK (2011) #1-7 and material from FEAR ITSELF #7.
176 PGS./Parental Advisory …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-3328-5

CARNAGE, U.S.A. HC
Written by ZEB WELLS
Penciled by CLAYTON CRAIN
Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
Carnage’s maniacal reign of terror continues, courtesy of the critically acclaimed creative team of Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain! The Avengers must go on a brutal hunt to capture Cletus Kasady before a small town in the American heartland falls under his mass-murdering spell! But when Carnage defeats the Avengers, only Spider-Man remains. Can he stop Carnage before the government makes a devil’s pact — with symbiotes?! Buckle in — and prepare for a violence-packed adventure as Spidey, Venom and the Avengers take on Carnage with a city at stake and the souls of hundreds on their shoulders! Carnage U.S.A. wants YOU! Collecting CARNAGE, U.S.A. #1-5.
120 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6073-1

The Aaron Hulk book is a bit of an odd choice for OSHC if you ask me. And seems a tad overpriced for the contents.

What I do find strange is that Fraction's Defenders is straight to softcover, no Premiere version. Not that I mind that of course (Premiere HCs for "current" books are something I tend to avoid), it just seems to be going against Marvel's usual strategy.

Looks like a quiet month for me anyway. I don't think I'll be picking up anything from DC or Marvel.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Is there really a $25 difference between the two market editions of the New Avengers omnibus? Is that normal?

Didn't notice that, I assume it's just a typo though. But, hey, who the gently caress knows with Marvel anymore.

PelvicNerve posted:

So basically, you can either buy 1000 page books or 200 page books? I kind of miss the ~400 page OSHC format that allowed for a year's worth of material. I know these are still released but they somehow seem scarce.

I know what you mean. The 12-or-so issues OSHC was definitely my format of choice but they have been very thin on the ground recently.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 21, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Am I right in thinking that the New Avengers omnibus contains the same as the first 3 OSHCs plus:

AVENGERS (1963) #500-503
AVENGERS FINALE
NEW AVENGERS AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1

But appears to be missing 'New Avengers: Custom #676: Army & Air Force'

I already have the OSHCs on this one so I may have found an omnibus I won't be pre-ordering. Intrigued by the Hulk book though as I quite liked Aaron's Ghost Rider omnibus.

If you've got the first three OSHC's then I'd say you're safe to skip this Omnibus. Avengers 500-503 & Finale are in the Avengers Disassembled OSHC which can still be picked up fairly cheaply if you really want to have them.

I think New Avengers / Fantastic Four #1 is one of those military things that was in the first New Avengers OSHC.

As for Hulk.... I'm finding it really weak. Definitely the least interesting thing that Aaron's currently writing. The fact it's already had a smorgasbord of different, mainly lovely, artists really doesn't help its cause either.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Can't come soon enough...

Shame about the crossovers though

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

wildlele posted:

Note based on an Amazon fish, the following is coming out.

Expanded from the Eisner Award - winning XL book, "75 Years of DC Comics", this new series hits the shelf at a reader friendly size with essays updated by author Paul Levitz and over 500 new images across five volumes. Thousands of covers and interiors, original illustrations, photographs, film stills, and collectibles have been reproduced using the latest technology to bring the story lines, the characters, and their creators to vibrant life, making this an invaluable reference for comics fans.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Golden-Age-DC-Comics/dp/3836535734/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ONGU5LXZJYJ0&colid=P2CZS1XUN7NL

Thanks for posting that, hadn't heard anything about this before.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Cool things I found out today:

There's going to be a collection of the entire run of The Invisibles.

Uncool thing: It's by DC, whose recent big omnibuses have had ultra-poo poo production quality (books don't lie flat, half the art is lost in the gutter). They say they're going to improve them but... we'll see.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Looks like the two Batman issues ARE being included in Absolute Final Crisis as well as seven new pages of story by Morrison & Mahnke.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1204/09/dcjuly.htm

quote:

ABSOLUTE FINAL CRISIS HC

Written by Grant Morrison, art by Doug Mahnke, J.G. Jones, Carlos Pacheco, Doug Mahnke, Matthew Clark, Jesus Merino, Christian Alamy, Marco Rudy, Tom Nguyen, Lee Garbett, Trevor Scott and others, cover by J.G. Jones.

Collecting the mind-blowing event including Final Crisis #1-7, Final Crisis: Submit #1, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1-2, and The Final Crisis Sketchbook, plus the newly added Final Crisis #1: Directors Cut and Batman #682-683! Resolicited -- now with seven new story pages by Morrison and Mahnke! Superman, Batman, the Justice League and every other super being in the DC Universe must face when Darkseid and his otherworldly legion of followers in the war between light and dark! This oversized, slipcased hardcover comes with its own pair of 3-D glasses!

464 pages, $89.99, in stores on Oct. 13.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

bairfanx posted:

Is that a price drop too, or is that their price, rather than MSRP?

Think it's a typo, CBR's article on the new DC solicits is still showing it at $99.99.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Marvel solicits not up yet but the Previews list is and, oh-mercy-me, there are a couple of very nice surprises. Namely:

MAY120729 CRIMINAL DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 02 (MR) $49.99

MAY120734 MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC $125.00

I'm very happy about a second Criminal OSHC and I may very well upgrade from my Essentials to the Man-Thing Omnibus (assuming it contains all of Gerber's run). It's been months since Marvel released a book I actually want to buy and here come two at once!

There's also

MAY120748 X-MEN BISHOPS CROSSING HC $49.99

Which I assume is oversized based on the price. No idea what it contains as it's probably from well after the period I stopped giving a poo poo about the X-Men.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

...as much as I love Mike Ploog art (as you all should!) I don't think I'm going to get the Man-Thing omnibus. This is one instance where I think the B&W job of the essentials is a better choice for the art.

Which shouldn't discourage anyone interested in it. I think that run of Man-Thing is an underrated classic. It's just that $125 price tag is pretty steep for the material.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence really. It's another one of those cases, like Moon Knight and Tomb Of Dracula, where the colouring does a bit of a disservice to the art.

I'll see how rich I'm feeling at the time but chances are I'll just stick to the essentials I've aready got.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

I've been buying up the Ultimate Spidey OSHCs and they only go up to volume 11 (no Spinal Tap jokes please). Anyone know if they plan on publishing anything in that format past that? Like the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man stuff?

Good tiiming! Volume 12 comes out tomorrow I think. Collects 1-14 of the new series.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

The Hachette Catalog for Winter 2012 Marvel books is out. Not many surprises but I don't think we've heard about these before

Avengers Vs. X-Men OSHC $75

Collecting: Avengers vs. X-Men 0-12; AVX: VS 1-6; Avengers vs. X-Men: Infinite 3, 6, 9; material from Point One

DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC $75

COLLECTING: ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN 15, 150-160; ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES 1-6; ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT 1-6

Deadpool MAX OSHC $35

COLLECTING: DEADPOOL MAX 1-12, DEADPOOL MAX 2 1-6, DEADPOOL MAX X-MAS SPECIAL

Also more and more trades are collecting a paltry four issues. Not buying them. gently caress you Marvel.

Catalog is here: http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/_assets/busresources/MARVELSEPT-DEC2012.pdf

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

May well be moving house in the very near future and I think I might combine it with a bit of a purge (well, the other half is telling me I HAVE to get rid of some stuff). Do any UK-ers know the rough cost for posting OSHC's and Omnibuses via Royal Mail?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Illvillainy posted:

I just dropped £105 on Kirby omnibi. Kamandi Vol. 1, OMAC, Cap, and the 2 available paperback volumes of the Fourth World.

I feel simultaneous guilty and not guilty.

Good purchasing. If you're interested in Kirby himself then I'll also recommend "Kirby: King of Comics" by Mark Evanier. It's a big old coffee-table book that's a bit of a biography with tons of super-size Kirby illustrations. It's really cheap for what it is as well, think you can get it for £12-£13.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

BPRD hardcover vol 4 popped up in the Dark Horse September solicts. Which is nice. Does anyone think there's a chance that the spin-off mini-series such as Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson will eventually be hardcovered?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Well there aren't any which have enough issues yet. I think Abe, LJ and Witchfinder are all on 10 issues each, and the HCs have about... 18? 20?

Ah, cheers for that. I only started getting into the Mignola-verse with the Hellboy library editions so I wasn't too sure what was out there. Might just pick up the trades if I can find them for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

krut posted:

Speaking of the other Morrison OSHCs, how impossible is it to find Batman and Robin deluxe HC 2? I've been looking around and it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Any tips?

Be a man and buy the Absolute edition when that comes out