Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Never mind, answered my own question.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone have a Sex Criminals Volume 6 TPB ($17.99) that they would want to trade for a sealed Event Leviathan hardcover ($29.99)?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Amazon, Ollie's and local pickups for February.

Joe Casey's Wildcats run may be an all-time Top Ten run for me. Have you read the rest of it? Vicious Circles and Serial Boxes precede Battery Park, and then you want Wildcats 3.0 Volumes 1 and 2 for the material that comes after.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

Does Big Lots have cheap collected editions a la Ollie's? I think I heard that somewhere but maybe I dreamt it..?

I haven't been to my local Big Lots in about a year, but I never saw any comics or collected editions there. Great place for finding cheap and interesting international foods, drinks, and snacks, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today our local comic shop chain had a Buy Two/Get One Free sale on TPBs, hardcovers, and graphic novels for Free Comic Book Day. I treated myself to three G.I. Joe TPBs I've been looking forward to reading ever since I devoured Cobra: The Last Laugh. These seem to follow that story arc in the same continuity, by the same creative team of Mike Costa and Antonio Fuso.

Most shops around here hardly carry any IDW books, but this location that is much further away than my usual shop had a huge IDW G.I. Joe selection. I was impressed to see so many TPBs, including most of the Classic G.I. Joe Marvel reprints. Anyway, I was thrilled to find them, and I had a gift certificate with $21 left on it, so I essentially paid $20 out of pocket for all three books.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

radlum posted:

How is the classic Hama/Costa-Gage GI Joe stuff collected? I know IDW makes HC for their own recent stuff, but how can I find those runs?

Hama's Marvel series is collected in thick Classic G.I. Joe TPBs by IDW, with about ten issues in each, and there are 15 in all. I understand that some of them are out of print and hard to find, so I was surprised my local shop had most of them, minus volumes 2-5 or something like that.

Starting just over a decade ago, Hama continued his series with IDW, picking up exactly where it left off. Those are collected in thinner TPBs with about four or five issues in each, starting with Volume 1, even though the issue numbering continued from Marvel (so #156 and onward). Those TPBs are up to Volume 25 or so. Hama's writing hasn't changed a bit, for better and for worse.

The rest of IDW's different G.I. Joe series were titled and collected in very confusing ways. There was a Cobra #1-4 miniseries (written by Gage and Costa), followed by a Cobra II #1-4 miniseries that I think turned into a regular series. This is a whole different continuity than the Hama stuff. It is a darker, more modernized, more "realistic" continuity, like an Ultimate take on G.I. Joe and Cobra, if that makes sense. It has nothing to do with Hama's run and doesn't reference it at all. The Cobra series ran concurrently to a G.I. Joe series written at least in part by Chuck Dixon, as well as a Snake Eyes series. The Dixon G.I. Joe, Gage-Costa Cobra, and Snake Eyes series had some crossovers -- Cobra Civil War and Cobra Command, and I think those were collected in separate TPBs.

But the Costa-Gage epic that I'm always recommending is Cobra: The Last Laugh, which was collected in an oversized hardcover, with a long overdue TPB scheduled for late June. After that, I only recently learned Costa's epic continued. The next TPB volume collecting his Cobra series is called G.I. Joe: Cobra: Son of the Snake (I bought it yesterday), then there is a volume called G.I. Joe: Cobra: Oktober Guard (I didn't buy this one yesterday), and then that series ended but was continued into a nine-issue series called G.I. Joe: The Cobra Files, which got collected in two TPBs (I bought both of those yesterday).

If you have Comixology Unlimited, almost all the IDW G.I. Joe (and Transformers) comics are available on there, for $5.99 a month. That's a hell of a deal just for that content, and it would at least show you some semblance of the reading order and be a lot cheaper than tracking down all those collected editions. But I've read most of the Hama comics -- I used to own the entire Marvel run and foolishly sold them to pay for school about 20 years ago, and then read the most recent IDW material over the past two years. And Last Laugh is just mind-blowingly good, so I had to buy the volumes that follow it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've long hated omnis. Between them being too heavy to read and top heavy to hold themselves together it's just a bad design.

Same. I'm all about the trade paperback lifestyle.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

Tracking down Invincible Vol 7 Hardcover has been a pain in the butt. Bought one the other day from an ebay seller that claimed to have 5 but that order was canceled because it was "out of stock."

I look at listings today and see a seller with "more than 10" but the condition is unlisted. Mmhmm.... I'm sure they do.

I don't mind having a single volume missing but it'd be nice to grab that last one without paying too much for it.

If you want, I'll call around. I'm surrounded by good comic shops, and I hardly ever have anything to buy from any of them. I also get obsessive-compulsive about completing runs and sets and having everything match, so I get it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

That is super generous. I'm still kinda operating with reclusive covid brain and haven't checked with any local shops. Let me check around to the handful here to see if I can keep a few bucks in the community. If not I may take you up on it.

Thanks for this. I'm skeptical of anyone selling this at a discount, have you ordered from them before? I clicked the FAQ but I don't see what "FOC" stands for either.

It's a new company, and supposed to be very good. It is small, but setting itself up to compete with InStockTrades, discounts and all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
When I met David Lloyd at a signing in a local comic shop, he was kind enough to sketch me a quick pencil portrait of V in my sketchbook, which is amazing. Then he signed my V For Vendetta trade paperback, but when he asked me how to spell my name to personalize it, he spelled it the wrong (but somewhat more common) way.

That was kind of disappointing, but a few years passed, and I found a fellow comic collector with that exact name on a message board. Boy, was he happy to pay for a personalized V For Vendetta TPB, made out to him!

I've been meeting comic creators and getting comics signed my whole life, and I don't have certificates of authenticity for any of them. I just think it's cool as hell to meet them, tell them how much I've enjoyed their work, chat a bit if they're not too busy, and walk away with one-of-a-kind collectibles that will mean even more to me. I do have a few random signed issues I'd like to sell, but I think the only reason they're not selling is because they aren't "keys" -- Greg Rucka's issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web, Howard Chaykin's Shadow miniseries from the '80s, Michel Fiffe's G.I. Joe miniseries, some Matt Wagner Grendel issues from the Comico days, and Rob Guillory's first Farmhand TPB.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I can't speak on Ollie's, but the global paper shortage is ravaging the comic book world as a whole. My LCS can't get its hands on some collected editions because the print runs are so small, and omnibuses and OHCs are selling out online during the preorder period. It's a warzone out there.

Semi-related, my old boss and I co-wrote a book chapter for an academic research book that keeps getting delayed. It was supposed to finally be out in November, but that came and went, and I found out yesterday that due to printing delays at this relatively small legal publishing company, the new target date is January. So all printing and publishing are being affected by the paper shortage -- something I didn't even know about until yesterday!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I have like.... one? Two? Paper bylines in 2021? A lot of journals just aren't even bothering right now, especially indie and small press lit journals.
Anyway yeah as for comics-- my wife has saved a lot of money because originally the Hellfire Gala HC was supposed to be my bday present, and then it was supposed to be my holiday present, but first it got bumped from October to December and now our LCS just didn't get any of the copies it ordered with the outlook for getting copies fairly dim. Maybe by Valentine's Day she'll be able to pick it up.

Congratulations! One or two academic bylines in a year is no small task. Since my first and only law journal article came out in 2019, and probably due in part to COVID and paper shortage issues, a lot of law schools have suspended publication of hard copies (are law journals the only ones that call those "reprints"?) and shifted their format to online-only. I'm so glad I got a stack of reprints of my article before it was too late.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh not academic, just creative, but I also teach creative writing so they're still part of the hustle. I told my diss committee that I'm just taking a one year hiatus from academic writing to get my thoughts back together, but I'd been chit-chatting about co-authoring a thing with one of them right before COVID so we'll see-- and since it would revolve around kind of a cluster of New England-based 19th c. authors I'm definitely better placed for scooting around for research/archival work than I was in 2019.

That's still awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I stopped at an Ollie's on my Christmas trip and picked up a copy of Mark Waid's Daredevil OSHC. Is this all there is to his run? It collects 1-10 and 10.1 and an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. I ask because there's no "volume 1" on it anywhere.

Rhyno is right, as he often is. There are five Waid Daredevil OSHCs, and you can probably get them all easily enough on Amazon or eBay at decent discounts. Those are what I own, even though I prefer trade paperbacks. Otherwise you could try to track down ELEVEN trade paperbacks or overpay in a major way for the two Omnibus editions, which are out of print and pricey.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Well, thanks to those who recommended the Matt Fraction Hawkeye omni to me, a while back! I'm not far in, but I've been having a good time with it. Loving the artstyle and humour in it. (I also liked when Clint beat up some Russian while waiting at the vet, then calmed the onlookers by saying "don't worry, I'm an Avenger"...then one of the bystanders clutching his cat asked confusedly if he was Iron Fist :v: )

Just wondering though, when does it all fit into the timeline? I'm not very familiar with the Marvel GN/comic space, so my assumption (judging from when it was first published) would be that this happened a bit after the first 'the gang's all together' MCU Avengers film, where they make it big etc, and this is just his downtime after that while everyone else is doing their own thing. I'm probably wrong though.
But another related question - it has a Kate Bishop edition before the main Hawkeye one, looks like. I assume that's a flash-forward, in relation to the main Hawkeye series of the omni? Or does that chronologically happen first, still?

Are you referring to that one Young Avengers issue focusing on Kate? It was included because Fraction wrote that before the main Hawkeye series started, and it set up their relationship that he explored further in the Hawkeye series. Clint has been an Avenger since around 1965 (our time), so he was extremely experienced by the time Kate was created and joined up with the Young Avengers. Also, Clint was also dead for a while, which is why Kate had his bow at the time. (COMICS!)

I'll second Daredevil. Almost all the modern runs are good. The Brian Bendis/Alex Maleev run is my absolute favorite, which was followed by Ed Brubaker/Michael Lark's run. Both are very noir-influenced, but Bendis has somewhat more comic relief. Skip Andy Diggle's run, and then you get to Mark Waid's somewhat lighter, more fun Daredevil series, which was running concurrently to Fraction's Hawkeye. I think that would definitely appeal to you. After Waid came Charles Soule/Ron Garney, and then the current Chip Zdarsky/Marco Checchetto run. I think they're all pretty great.

And since you're digging Hawkeye, I will also recommend Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Fraction and Brubaker with Aja (the main Hawkeye artist).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cloks posted:

Don't forget McKay's mini that occurs right before Zdarsky's run on Daredevil.

I only recently found out this existed, so it will be one of the next TPBs I buy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I typically collect trade paperbacks only, but I recently got some good deals and cashed in gift cards to order myself the two Parker Martini Editions published by IDW. They arrived on Thursday and Friday, and I didn't expect how HUGE and HEAVY they would be! I'm a huge Darwyn Cooke fan, met him at a con and got most of his key works signed, but I've never owned these Parker graphic novels -- just read them through my public library. Now I finally own hard copies, and in the best possible format.

Normally I would have bought the cheaper editions, but these volumes have so many supplemental materials, including shorter Parker stories by Cooke and by Brubaker and Phillips, which I've never read. I guess they are kind of like DC's Absolute Editions in terms of size, but I briefly owned Absolute Authority Volume 1 by Ellis, and I don't remember it being so heavy. The cardboard slipcases are a lot sturdier on these Martini Editions than that one Absolute book I had, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sporklift posted:

Oh wow. I didn't realize they had released a second volume. I'm gonna have to get that.

I think it just recently came out, and Amazon had a decent discount, 32% off cover:
https://smile.amazon.com/Richard-Starks-Parker-Martini-Last/dp/1684056985/ref=sr_1_1