Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
Maybe something list this for the DC Omnibus Info:

DC has released 2 types of Omnibu so far. Creator Spotlight on Silver Age Creators. Jack Kirby's Fourth World Series, Jack Kirby's OMAC, Jack Kirby's Green Arrow, Steve Ditko's Creeper and Steve Ditko miscellaneous sorties collected in 2 Omnibu so far. These books are generally in the 300-500 page range, use non glossy paper and are normal trim size. Also in the category are the Starman Omnibu. These 6 volumes collect all of the James Robinson Starman series along with tie ins, mini series, and specials, all in reading order.

Then there are the "Marvel style" DC Omnibu. These are oversized (just like the "DC Deluxe HCs, Marvel Omnibu/OSHCs) they are printed on glossy paper and with 1 or 2 exceptions are all in the 600 or more page range. This seems to be the direction DC is heading with their Omnibus program, save for the lines that have already started ie. Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

The "Marvel Style" DC Omnibu include:
Silver Age Green Lantern Vol. 1
Flash by Geoff John's Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 1

There are Amazon place holders for:
Silver Age Green Lantern Vol. 2
Flash by Geoff Johns Vol. 2
New Teen Titans Vol. 2
Hawkman by Geoff Johns Vol. 1
Teen Titans Omnibus by Geoff Johns Vol. 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

...with his departure I expect things to begin to slide.

Might be just a hair bit premature to say things like that. I have already gotten my shipping notification for this months shipment which is earlier than normal.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Inkslinger posted:

Wasn't Absolute Authority Vol. 1 getting reprinted as well? (He says, fingers crossed...)

Not even close.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Flight 230 posted:

Did the Ultimatum event ever make it into over-sized hardcovers? NOT intending on buying, just curious. That's the format most of my ultimate books are in, and if I was to see them for a few pence in a few years time...

Yep, it was packaged with Ultiamtes 3 into an OSHC, there is also an Ultimatum Companion OSHC tying up all the ongoing Ultimate titles going into the event and the Requiem titles.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Flight 230 posted:

I've seen this one pop up on Ebay a few times, as well as the alternate michael turner cover, but it appears to have a "premiere edition" marking on the front. That's what's confused me.

There is also a Premiere Edition that just has Ultimatum and is standard trim size.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Does anyone know if this is the follow-up to the Great Darkness Saga HC that came out last year?

Sure is.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Can you tell if the one I linked is the right one? loving Amazon UK.

There is only 1 Annihilators HC and it's oversized.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=32348

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There are two covers, I have both sitting at work because I couldn't decide which to buy. One is the team, the other is Rocket Raccoon & Groot.

Same book, different dust jacket. :nyd:

What I meant is, there is only an OSHC of this title, not a separate Premiere and OSHC, if you are ordering an Annihilators HC, it's going to be oversized.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
ABSOLUTE BATMAN: DARK VICTORY
Written by JEPH LOEB
Art and cover by TIM SALE
On sale MAY 23 • 408 pg, 8.25” x 12.5”, FC, $99.99 US
Presenting the classic tale of the Dark Knight from writer Jeph Loeb and artist Tim Sale for the first time in DC’s upscale Absolute format!
Collecting BATMAN: DARK VICTORY #0-13, this epic continues the story of THE LONG HALLOWEEN. It is early in Batman’s crimefighting career, when James Gordon, Harvey Dent, and the vigilante himself were all just beginning their roles as Gotham’s protectors.
Once a town controlled by organized crime, Gotham City suddenly finds itself being run by lawless freaks, such as Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and the Joker. Witnessing his city’s dark evolution, the Dark Knight completes his transformation into the city’s greatest defender. He faces multiple threats, including the seeming return of a serial killer called Holiday. Batman’s previous investigation of Holiday’s killings revealed that more than one person was responsible for the murders. So the question remains: who is committing Holiday’s crimes this time? And how many will die before Batman learns the truth?

THE DC UNIVERSE BY ALAN MOORE HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by JIM APARO, BRIAN BOLLAND, PARIS CULLINS, GEORGE FREEMAN, DAVE GIBBONS, KLAUS JANSON, KEVIN O’NEILL, JOE ORLANDO, GEORGE PÉREZ, KURT SCHAFFENBERGER, CURT SWAN, RICK VEITCH, AL WILLIAMSON, BILL WILLINGHAM, JIM BAIKIE and MICHAEL LOPEZ
Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale FEBRUARY 8 • 304 pg, FC, $39.99 US
The work of Alan Moore (WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDETTA, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN) during the 1980s is a benchmark for great stories with fresh approaches to iconic characters. Collected in this volume are all of Moore’s Superman and Batman stories, including ACTION COMICS #583, BATMAN ANNUAL #11, BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, DC COMICS PRESENTS #85, DETECTIVE COMICS #549-550, GREEN LANTERN #188, THE OMEGA MEN #26-27, SECRET ORIGINS #10, SUPERMAN #423, TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #2 & 3, SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11 and VIGILANTE #17-18, plus VOODOO #1-4, DEATHBLOW: BY BLOWS #1-3 and more!

STORMWATCH VOL. 1 HC
Written by WARREN ELLIS
Art by TOM RANEY, PETE WOODS, MICHAEL RYAN, JIM LEE, RANDY ELLIOT, SALEEM CRAWFORD and RICHARD BENNETT
Cover by TOM RANEY and RANDY ELLIOTT
On sale FEBRUARY 8 • 296 pg, FC, $39.99 US
Don’t miss this new collection of Warren Ellis’s STORMWATCH epics from issues #37-47, as The Weatherman transforms the team into a proactive, take-no-prisoners strike force. Starring Jack Hawksmoor, Battalion, Jenny Sparks, Apollo, Midnighter, Rose Tattoo and more!

FLEX MENTALLO: MAN OF MUSCLE MYSTERY DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by FRANK QUITELY
On sale FEBRUARY 1 • 112 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $22.99 US • MATURE READERS
Once he was Hero of the Beach...and of the Doom Patrol. Now Flex Mentallo, Man of Muscle Mystery, returns to investigate the sinister dealings of his former comrade, The Fact, and a mysterious rock star whose connection to Flex may hold the key to saving them both.
Don’t miss this deluxe hardcover collecting the four-issue miniseries from the team behind ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, including a special sketch section and recolored art.

FABLES DELUXE EDITION VOL. 4 HC
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM, STEVE LEIALOHA, MICHAEL KALUTA, JOHN BOLTON, CHARLES VESS, MARK WHEATLEY, JILL THOMPSON and others
Cover by james jean
On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 296 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
Bill Willingham’s hit series FABLES continues here, as issues #28-33 are collected for the first time in hardcover, along with the original graphic novel FABLES: 1001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

MrBling posted:

I got some stuff today from Amazon....

Holy mis-folded dust jacket!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC

Written by STAN LEE Penciled by JOHN ROMITA with DON HECK, LARRY LIEBER, JIM MOONEY & MARIE SEVERIN Covers by HUMBERTO RAMOS & JOHN ROMITA

The Stan Lee/John Romita era starts here! Lee and Romita transformed the web-slinger into Marvel's top title with stories that raised your spirits, tore at your heartstrings and kept you on the edge of your seat. From the revelation of the Green Goblin's secret identity to the unforgettable entrance of Mary Jane Watson, these classics define Spidey to this day -- with star-studded debuts including the Kingpin, the Rhino and Captain Stacy; Spidey's disastrous first tryout with the Avengers; the iconic "Spider-Man No More!" issue; the true story of Peter Parker's parents; and an epic battle against the Green Goblin! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #39-67 and ANNUAL #3-5; SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN MAGAZINE (1968) #1-2; and material from NOT BRAND ECHH #2, #6 and #11.

968 pages, $99.99.

Ramos Cover:

ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS BY MARK MILLAR OMNIBUS HC

Written by MARK MILLAR Penciled by CARLOS PACHECO, LEINIL FRANCIS YU, STEVE DILLON & STEPHEN SEGOVIA Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU All of superstar Mark Millar's ULTIMATE AVENGERS sagas, collected in one volume!

Captain America goes rogue to learn the truth about the Red Skull, and S.H.I.E.L.D. commissions a new team to bring him in!

A 7-foot-tall biker with a flaming skull has been brutally murdering the rich and powerful, and the White House orders the Avengers to take down the Ghost Rider!

The various vampire clans have united under a charismatic new leader encased in a salvaged Iron Man suit. Can Blade and the Avengers work together to stem the blood-red tide? Collecting ULTIMATE AVENGERS #1-6, ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2 #1-6, ULTIMATE AVENGERS 3 #1-6 and ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES #1-6.

608 pages, $75.

X-MEN: FATAL ATTRACTIONS HC

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL, PETER DAVID, J.M. DEMATTEIS, JOE QUESADA, FABIAN NICIEZA & LARRY HAMA Penciled by Various Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.

The thrilling saga that commemorated the X-Men's 30th anniversary is brought to you in its entirety! As Magneto's Acolytes amp up their attacks on Homo sapiens everywhere, the X-teams join forces to put an end to their mad crusade against humanity once and for all. And as a mysterious disease begins creeping through the mutant community, claiming the lives of hated foe and dear friend alike, which X-Man will buckle under the strain? Matters come to a head in the most shocking way possible, culminating in a shocking attack on Wolverine -- and a showdown between Professor X and Magneto that must be seen to be believed! Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (1963) #298-305, 315 and ANNUAL #17; X-FACTOR (1986) #87-92; X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) #1-2; X-FORCE (1991) #25; X-MEN (1991) #25; WOLVERINE (1988) #75; and EXCALIBUR (1988) #71.

832 pages, $99.99.

X-MEN: MUTANT GENESIS 2.0 HC

Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, JIM LEE, JOHN BYRNE & SCOTT LOBDELL Penciled by JIM LEE Cover by JIM LEE

Magneto's future, Wolverine's past -- and the X-Men in between! From Asteroid M to Weapon X, Marvel's mightiest mutants are getting brainwashed wherever they go! Magneto acquires a new army, the Hand revives an old enemy, and it's up to the X-Men to stop either plan from succeeding! Acolytes, ninjas and more! Featuring mysteries from the history of Wolverine, with the first flashback appearance of Team X! It's the opening issues of 1991's "adjectiveless" X-Men like you've never seen them before -- remastered and recolored in modern style! Collecting X-MEN (1991) #1-7.

208 pages, $49.99.

SPIDER-MAN: SPIDER-ISLAND HC

Written by DAN SLOTT, RICK REMENDER, CHRISTOS GAGE & FRED VAN LENTE Penciled by BARRY KITSON, LEE GARBETT, EMMA RIOS, GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI, STEFANO CASELLI, HUMBERTO RAMOS, TOM FOWLER & MINCK OOSTERVEER Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Start Webbing the News! New York City is Infested, and eight million normal people have gained Spider-Powers! But not all of them realize that with great power, there must also come...you know the rest. OK, sure, we often say Peter Parker's life will never be the same. But listen, pal, we've never been more serious. This will change everything for Pete, for Spidey -- and possibly for YOU! As the brilliantly fearsome Jackal rises from the past and begins organizing an army of spider-powered soldiers, how can the heroes of NYC hope to contain millions of wall-crawling New Yorkers? Plus: a dangerous new role for Venom -- and, nearly 50 years in the making, the story that MUST BE READ: J. Jonah Jameson: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAYOR?! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #666-673, VENOM (2011) #6-8, SPIDER-ISLAND: DEADLY FOES, material from SPIDER-ISLAND SPOTLIGHT and the INFESTED prologues from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #659-660 and #662-665.

376 pages, $39.99.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 21, 2011

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

wildlele posted:

It's ok, I read Canadian.

Canadians can read?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Goddamnit I am sick of preordering books on Amazon. They never ship in proper packaging and every other book I get is damaged.

https://www.dcbservice.com

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

As long as you want them to ship 15 days after you place an order for an item "in stock".

My experience is the exact opposite. Even if it takes a little longer to get books from DCBS than amazon, I would rather wait a few days longer and not have my high end, expensive hardcover books arrived thrashed, but to each their own.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Zevin_Mars posted:

Also, does anyone know if they're ever going to solicit Uncanny X-Men Vol.2?....Are they just waiting for the Marvel Masterworks line to catch up with them or what?

Yep.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I totally want the Crossing Omnibus just to see if they can make sense out of it. Back when it was being released nobody could figure out what order to read half the drat books in and the "official" read list Marvel put out didn't work.

Marvel is really helping me in my recent resolve to not buy every single Omnibus.

Thanks Marvel!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Did anyone get the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus? It sounds kind of dumb but I'm considering downgrading from my Absolutes to it. How is the book overall?

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/18457/The-League-of-Extraordinary-Gentlemen-Omnibus

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

sporklift posted:

Wow. I was just buying the Simonson trades. Got the first three for about $5 a pop but the last two became rare and expensive all of a sudden. I don't think I would want a tome as big as some of the omnibuses.

So I am putting together a Wolverine bind that will include a few minis, Logan (the black and white version)by Vaughan and Risso, Wolverine Hulk by Kieth, Wolverine Havok Meltdown by Simonson and Old Man Logan by Millar and McNiven. Putting all those titles on the spine would be cluttered and confusing. I have no idea what to call this thing though.

Best Of Wolverine Vol. 1, or Vol. 2 if you already have the OSHC Vol. 1

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Romav posted:

Yeah as mentioned quite a boring cover, but so far the book is great. Read 2 chapters last night. Hope this quality remains with the rest of Scott Snyder's run (I don't read monthlies so I'm not sure how his books are now.)

As far as I'm concerned, he can do no wrong.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Totally slipped my mind that the X Statix Omnibus comes out on the 21st.

Merry Christmas to me!

It's out next Wednesday bud.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Shameless posted:

Ultimate Spidey Omnibus on the way. Contents should be announced when the Marvel solicits turn up.

Can't see much else of major interest on the list.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=116069

Man, Marvel is just getting less and less of my money. What a stupid decision.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Amazon just cancelled my order for Flex Mentallo. Is it sold out (AGAIN?)

No out yet, AFAIK

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Huh, weird.

So, does anyone else get annoyed looking at their Iron Man hardcovers next to each other? (I don't have a picture handy, but the Marvel logos at the top are inversions of each other)

Marvel recently changed their spine logo to the inverse of what it was. Brace yourself for lots of annoyance.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I sold a guy a book on Amazon and it was the direct market version instead of mass market. He was so pissed he filed for a wage garnishment.

I dunno man, if I ordered a direct market cover and got the mass market cover instead, I would be upset. 90% of those mass market covers are pure loving evil.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

^burtle posted:

ABSOLUTE EDITION.

OMNIBUS.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Because there isn't one. There's OSHCs but not Absolutes.

Eat it.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/12/15/absolute-batman-robin-batman-reborn/

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

^burtle posted:

ABSOLUTE EDITION.

Glenn Danzig posted:

OMNIBUS.

JackDarko posted:

Absolute, just like the Batman and Robin one.

We all lose!

BATMAN: THE BLACK GLOVE DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by ANDY KUBERT, J.H. WILLIAMS III, TONY S. DANIEL, JOHN VAN FLEET, RYAN BENJAMIN, JESSE DELPERDANG, JONATHAN GLAPION and SANDU FLOREA
Cover by ANDY KUBERT
Retailers: This item is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.
RESOLICIT • On sale JUNE 20 • 384 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US
Comic-book legend Grant Morrison (ACTION COMICS) joins forces with top artists including Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), J.H. Williams III (BATWOMAN) and Tony S. Daniel (DETECTIVE COMICS) in this deluxe hardcover collecting BATMAN #655-658, 663-669 and 672-675! First, Batman receives the greatest shock of his life when he discovers that he has a son. And sparks fly when Damian is introduced to Robin, the Boy Wonder. Which young hero will carry on the legacy as Gotham City’s protector? Then, Batman and a group of global heroes face a killer on a mysterious island, and Batman relives an adventure in the life of young Bruce Wayne: the hunt for his parents’ killer.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
THE 52 OMNIBUS HC
Writers: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid
Artists: Keith Giffen, Joe Bennett, Ruy Jose, Jack Jadson, Chris Batista, Jimmy Palmiotti, Ken Lashley, Eddy Barrows, Rob Stull, Shawn Moll, Tom Nguyen, Todd Nauck, Marlo Alquiza, Dale Eaglesham, Art Thibert, Patrick Olliffe, Drew Geraci, Ray Snyder, Phil Jimenez, Andy Lanning, Rodney Ramos, Dan Green, Tom Derenick, Jay Leisten, Jamal Igle, Keith Champagne, Andy Smith, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund and Darick Robertson
Collects: 52 #1-52
$150.00 US, 1216 pg

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Takei is Okay posted:

Uh oh. No WILDCATS/ALIENS?

Exactly, what a worthless collection. Should have had everything in 1 single oversized volume, not 2 regular sized hardcovers that are missing the finale.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They probably have to re clear the rights to print the Aliens again. That's what held up the original softcover.

I almost hope it does not get cleared. What a stupid move putting this run in 2 standard hardcovers. loving DC, TAKE MY MONEY!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

Is the problem that they're not oversized?

The problem is the run is split between 2 books and as of now, does not include the finale.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Actually, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens took place before the two final issues of Stormwatch, #10 and 11. #11 ended with the funeral of the team members killed by the Xenomorphs and led directly into The Authority #1.

It's presented in the trade in the correct reading order:

Stormwatch #10
"Chaper One: No Reason

WildC.A.T.s/Aliens One Shot
"Chapter Two: WildC.A.T.s/Aliens"

Stormwatch #11
"Chapter Three: No Direction Home"

If someone was to read that without the middle chapter, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens, it would be pretty crappy. Wildstorm themselves titled WildC.A.T.s/Aliens "Chapter Two" of this 3 part story.

Let's put it this way, if I bought this collection and then later found out that there was a one shot explaining why everyone was dead and it wasn't included in the hardcover, I would be pissed.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 1, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Marvel Zomnibus:

http://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-Zomnibus-Robert-Kirkman/dp/0785140263/ref=nosim/vglnk-ca-c51-20

Oh well, one less super expensive collection that I don't have to buy.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

My comic book store had a tpb of Orc Stain that I bought today for 20% off the list price. I guess it's out of print and selling on AMZ for $100. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it or wait and see if the price goes up.

And in real life it sells between $13 and $24, but good luck with that.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think both of those parts were omitted because they are currently rewriting a little of the AOA history and those issues would contradict the new stories.

jephyork posted:

First off -- here's the ultimate truth about the AoA event. *It's too big for one book*. And I'm not even talking about the sequels or spin-offs or follow-up material: the original 1995 event, just on its own, will not fit into one Omnibus. That's the hard truth we had to face down when we made this book. Something had to give.

We explored our options, took the book through a few different permutations -- and the route we ultimately decided to go was to remove the material that would best fit in a companion book, should a companion book be greenlit.

Right now, the Omnibus contains the main spine of the AoA event: the original "Legion Quest" event that created the AoA to begin with -- the Alpha one-shot and eight miniseries that ran in place of the eight monthly X-books -- and the conclusion in X-Men Omega. (When the dust settled we were able to include the sourcebook and ashcan edition as well, but nothing more.)

What's missing from the original 1995 event? The "red skies" tie-ins. The stuff that didn't affect the main story. The 2-issue X-Universe mini, which answered the question "so what are all the non-mutant heroes doing?" (Answer, nothing much.) And the 2-issue "X-Men Chronicles" mini, which filled in backstory that was nice to know, but not vital by any means. (And pretty much all of it is explained in dialogue in the main miniseries anyway.) Let's face it -- you do not need to read any of these issues to understand or enjoy the main AoA event.

Frankly, after the decision was made, I realized that taking those issues out actually helped the main story flow better! Let's be honest, the AoA is a slow-moving read. You get eight chapter 1s in a row, then eight chapter 2s, and so on and so on. It takes a long time to get anywhere in this story, and dropping in four more "meanwhile" issues (all of which are double-length, mind you!) brings *the eight more important plotlines* to a screeching halt.

And I said this before a few months back -- but when the AoA event was originally published, readers didn't finish "Legion Quest", read the backstory in X-Chronicles #1-2, then pick up X-Men Alpha. That wasn't the original reading order. Immediately following Xavier's shocking death, readers were thrown straight into the deep end of the AoA with Alpha -- full of confusing references, unfamiliar status quos and strangely changed characters. Part of the fun of the story was figuring out what happened on your own. And that's the experience you're going to get from this Omnibus as well! It's still a lumbering beast of a story, but the fat has been cut and the action's been pared down to the essentials.

I won't give any cryptic hints either way on the current odds of a companion book -- mainly because Marvel's internal schedule is always subject to change, and I can't predict the future with 100% certainty. But I will say that a companion HC has been my plan all along -- and that's the solution I'm pushing for to collect the rest of the event.

If/when this plan of mine comes to fruition, we'll have one Omnibus that collects the main event, the essential action of the story -- then a second Omnibus that collects the ancillary, non-vital stuff: the prequels (including X-Men Chronicles #1-2, which are set in the past anyway), the unimportant stuff that occured during the main event (X-Universe and its follow-up in Hulk: Broken Worlds #2), and then all the sequels. Which would then dovetail right into the "Uncanny X-Force" AoA storyline, and the ongoing AoA series that's launching soon. A cool read if you're interested in the bigger picture of the AoA universe.

Anyway, there you go: that was the thought process behind excluding what we did. Something simply had to go to make the book viable -- so we removed the stuff that (a) was least important, and (b) would mesh best with a potential collection of the later AoA material.

I really truly don't think you'll miss any of it when reading this Omnibus.

Oh, and you asked about X-Factor #108-109. Well -- frankly, they're not really part of the Legion Quest storyline. Yes, #109 says "Legion Quest" on the cover, but let's be honest, they stuck that slug on there to raise sales. In X-Factor #108-109, Legion awakens from his coma. That's all you need to know. It's not vital, and including the issues would have detracted from our mission to "cut the fat" from the storyline.

Same with X-Men #38-39 and Uncanny #319, which were also in the "AoA Prologue" TPB -- all they add to the story is "Professor X senses Legion", which can be established on a recap page. Frankly, the real point of the AoA Prologue TPB was just to bridge the gap between the Generation X Classic vol. 1 TPB (which ended with X-Men #37 and Uncanny #318) and the AoA event.

I won't begrudge anybody for being annoyed that the Omni doesn't collect every single issue. Everybody's got their own individual preferences for how they want things collected, and I knew going in that I could never please all of you. But I stand by my belief that the Omnibus is, in general, a much superior package than the 4-TPB set. (Or, technically, superior to TPBs vol. 2-4, which is what it more or less replaces -- the Omnibus doesn't overlap with AoA TPB vol. 1 at all.)

The trades have several flaws:

- some issues in the wrong order. (Notably, Apocalypse assaults the X-Mansion and captures Magneto, then in a "later" issue, discovers that Magneto was hiding there.)

- some missing pages (and missing *panels* too, believe it or not).

- many many many word balloons with missing or altered dialogue.

- some issues (X-Men Alpha, Astonishing X-Men #2, etc) that are obviously scanned from printed comics.

- a few pages with reversed colors (like the old color-plate swap errors we used to get in the 1980s, where red becomes yellow for one page).

- several #1 issues that accidentally use the faded-background 2nd print cover instead of the original cover.

- extremely washed-out color in the entirety of Generation Next #1-4.

- and a phenomenon that I call "scan doubling" on a lot of pages -- where you can visibly see a seam across the page, as if two half-page scans were stitched together poorly.

The Omnibus fixes all of these issues: we dug out the original film for Generation Next and the scanned issues, touched up all the word balloons, sorted out the covers, got rid of the scan doubling, and gave the book a vastly improved reading order to boot -- the continuity hiccups have been fixed, and the events flow much more naturally across all eight minis.

You'll like it. I think you'll like it better than the trades. And a potential companion book would get the same loving care. (Did you know that all the pin-ups from X-Men Chronicles #2 were skipped in the TPB?) But again, I can't give any cryptic hints either way about that.

Many moons ago, I asked you guys to trust me. Well, now you know my plan. It may not be everyone's ideal solution, but that's cool. Just understand that it's the best that I could do, given the limitations, restraints and realities of book publishing.

I love what I do, and I appreciate the opportunity to make books that you guys are so passionate about.

Let the critiques fly!

-Jeph!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

I found a New Avengers Omnibus vol. 1 while fishing on Amazon, it's supposed to be 1208 pages. Is this new?

Meanwhile, there's still no OSHC announced for the Heroic Age stuff, except for one that collects the first 6 issues of the new Avengers and New Avengers series. And which will probably overlap with other OSHCs/Omnis down the road...

That is new, thanks.

Now I don't need either of of the upcoming Omnibu in next months previews, nice.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

DC GET YOUR poo poo TOGETHER

lulz

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So I was actually dreading USM Vol.12 since Marvel's been loving around with the spines of their books the last year. So imagine my joy at seeing this when I unpacked the order.

They matched the spine. Whomever made sure this matched is awesome considering that they've been transposing the colors on the Marvel logo on a few books.

You're tripping boy, the old logo was red on white. This will not match the other USM OSHCs

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

After reading the Ultimate Avengers omnibus this week-end, there's no way I'm buying anything Ultimate related for a long time. That poo poo was offensively stupid. My worst buy in a long time.

I think you are judging the entire line by one of the worst books. Ultimate Spider-Man is crazy good and Ultimate X-Men and the Hickman Ultimates books are also fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
13.25" x 13.25" x 15.25" deep for mine.