Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
Batman/Deathblow Deluxe Edition HC
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artists: Lee Bermejo and Tim Bradstreet
Collects: Batman/Deathblow: after the fire #1-3
$22.99 US, 168 pg

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition HC
Writer: Pat Mills
Artist: Kevin O’Neill
Collects: Marshal Law #1-6, Marshal Law: FEAR AND LOATHING, Marshal Law TAKES MANHATTAN, Marshal Law: KINGDOM OF THE BLIND, Marshal Law: THE HATEFUL DEAD, Marshal Law: SUPER BABYLON and Marshal Law: SECRET TRIBUNAL #1-2
$49.99 US, 480 pg

Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus HC
Writers: Louise Simonson, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Dennis Janke, Roger Stern, Karl Kesel, Gerard Jones and William Messner-Loebs
Artists: Jon Bogdanove, Dennis Janke, Brett Breeding, Pete Berardi, Joe Rubinstein, Dennis Janke, Tom Grummett, Doug Hazlewood, Jackson Guice, Denis Rodier, Rick Burchett, M.D. Bright, Romeo Tanghal, Walter Simonson, Mike Machlan, Curt Swan and Trevor Scott
Collects: SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #17-26, SUPERMAN #73-82, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #496-505, ACTION COMICS #683-691, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN: THE LEGACY OF SUPERMAN #1 and GREEN LANTERN #46
$99.99 US, 954 pg

Absolute Top 10 HC
Writer: Alan Moore
Artists: Gene Ha and Zander Cannon
Collects: TOP 10 #1-12, TOP 10: THE FORTY-NINERS, SMAX #1-5 and a story from AMERICA’S BEST COMICS SPECIAL #1
$99.99 US, 592 pg

The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3 GC
Writers: Marv Wolfman and George Pérez
Artists: George Pérez, Mike DeCarlo, Steve Rude, Al Gordon, Carmine Infantino, Rich Buckler, Bob Smith, Dick Giordano, Ron Randall, Chuck Patton, Romeo Tanghal, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Dan Jurgens
Collects: TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #45-61 and 66-67, THE NEW TEEN TITANS #38, THE NEW TEEN TITANS #1-6 and SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #3
$75.00 US, 792 pg

ABSOLUTE TOP 10 MOTHERFUCKERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is a hardcover.

So was the old one, you ninny.

From Ferjo Byroy on the MMWB

Ferjo Byroy posted:

2007 version - 784 pages. Contents are MOS 17-26, Superman 73-82, Adv. of Superman 496-505, Action 683-684 & 687-691, GL 46, JLA 69.
(The 1993 World Without a Superman tpb contained missing Action 685-686, Legacy of Superman 1 (stories 1 & 4))
2013 version - 954 pages. Contents are MOS 17-26, Superman 73-82, Adv. of Superman 496-505, Action 683-691, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN: THE LEGACY OF SUPERMAN #1 and GREEN LANTERN #46

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

TheLoser posted:

I'm collecting the first wave of oversized hardcovers of the Daredevil series when Kevin Smith relaunched the title and Bendis took over right after. It's taken me some time to find a good copy of the fourth volume and I may have found a good one on Ebay. The guy's only asking for cover price with only a few days left to bid.

I have the day and time the auction ends marked on my calender. I will not be denied again. :argh:

I need to get rid of my set of the Bendis OSHCs, if you want the whole set let me know. They are in great condition.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

wildlele posted:

It laughs at puny Absolutes. I suspect it could take three of the Taschen DC 75th anniversary books with ease as well.

My only quibble is that it is very deep so it sticks out from the wall but by no means is that a dealbraker

Here is a partial shot of my 5x5 Expedit in black

These are my 6 shelf Billy's

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

krut posted:

Holy loving poo poo. That is the most epic collection of hardcovers and omnibuses I have ever seen.

What do you do for a living?

Thanks, I make computers work for a living.

mallratcal posted:

That is a beautiful collection Danzig.

redbackground posted:

Glenn, that is pretty amazing.

Thank you sirs.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 16, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Girls, also by the Luna Brothers. It's also a pile of poo poo.

After all I have done for you?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

JackDarko posted:

Does it have the same cover Amazon shows?

New X-Men Omnibus?

Yes.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

So can anyone report on the Invisibles Omnibus? Should I just pursue the TPBs or will this thing not fall apart instantly/lose half the page in the gutter?

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/20939/Waiting-for-open-Invisibles-Omnibus-pics

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Why did no one tell me that a new edition of the Ultimate Metabarons hardcover was coming out in two weeks? The last printing of it was commanding obscene and ridiculous prices when I wanted to pick it up about six months ago. At least I've got a copy ordered now...

You know the expensive one, which is still available, is an Absolute style book, while the new edition due in a week is a standard style hardcover, right?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

wildlele posted:

Looking at the book there are two pages where this happens. Page 127 where we miss one word 'Tracy' and page 131 where nothing is missing, just one line of one word balloon with a few words cut in half but you can still read it.

Unless I missed more, this is a mountain out of a molehill.

Carry on...

I am not sure where anyone is making a "mountain" about it. There are words dropped out on at least 4 pages though, 127, 128, 131 and 233. Really sucks for a $50 book to have multiple words missing.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

wildlele posted:

It's a $34 book. If you paid $50 you got ripped

Fair enough.

Really sucks for a $34 book to have multiple words on multiple pages missing.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's sucks that a book with a $50 price tag has printing errors.

Hey buddy, don't just show up here flinging around your logic, this is the internet.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Just ignore the Brotherhood issues. Holy poo poo were they bad

Weak, those are the only issues in the Omnibus that I don't own already and have not read.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fuckin' finally on that Authority trade. I never cared for the Millar run so having the original 12 in one book will fill a hole in my collection.

Get the Absolute you poof. That solicit cannot be correct, right? Millar and Quitely didn't start until #13.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 7, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

I'm sure it's just a goof. I'll happily take a matching Vol. 2 of their run.

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work. I am NEVER getting rid my Absolute Authority volumes.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you expect its the DC Trade Department?

Glenn Danzig posted:

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work. I am NEVER getting rid my Absolute Authority volumes.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean at least you are getting it and hopefully it will have all the issues and not be messed up. I expect very little from them.

This sounds like a good example of "Battered Reader Syndrome"

DC only publishes lovely collections because they love us.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Have you priced that one out lately?

No need Bro.

Adam Strange posted:

Are DC's non-Absolute hardcovers worth buying yet? I've always heard bad things about them. The only one I've picked up was a Kirby Fourth World but I don't think the King's art should feel that light...

No, but I rarely think hardcovers are worth getting unless they are oversized or have some other feature not found in their softcover counterpart.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
In other news, this is dumb:

Marvel NOW! Omnibus!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/comics/article/55054-marvel-announces-supersized-marvel-now-omnibus.html

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

See I passed on it when it was new and by the time I wanted it the book was rarer than a well written Dan Slott comic.

All 4 or 5 copies I have bought of v1 were all after it went OOP and was rather expensive. I think the most I paid was $100 total for v1 and v2.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've never run across one any cheaper than $200. I did snag a V2 for $33 at DCBS a few years ago which ended up netting me nearly $200 in profit.

First copy of v1 I got for $25 at the terrible shop down the street.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Lots of new Amazon fish reeled in by wildlele and posted at the MMWB:

Boom, tons of great titles!
New Archive launch with The Captain Comet Archives Vol. 1 @ 400 pages.
Also a few new showcase presents with Unknown Solder v. 2, Jonah Hex v. 2 and House of Secrets v. 3

Lastly we get a new Omnibus line for DC with Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 clocking in at 784 pages.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=dc+comics&qid=1355055373&rh=n%3A916520%2Ck%3Adc+comics&sort=-pubdate

The Authority Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis, Bryan Hitch and Paul Neary (May 21 2013)

The Justice League of America Chronicles Vol. 1 by Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky (May 28 2013)

by Marv Wolfman and George Perez (Jun 4 2013)

Watchmen: the Deluxe Edition by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Jun 4 2013)

Showcase Presents: Dc Comics Presents - Superman Team-Ups Vol. 2 by Various (Jun 4 2013)

Batman Noir: Eduardo Risso: the Deluxe Edition by Eduardo Risso and Brian Azzarello (Jun 4 2013)

Harley Quinn: Night and Day by Karl Kesel, Terry Dodson and Pete Woods (Jun 11 2013)

Superman: the Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (Jun 11 2013)

Solo: the Deluxe Edition by Various (Jun 11 2013)

Stormwatch Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis, Tom Raney and Jim Lee (Jun 18 2013)

Stormwatch Vol. 2 by Warren Ellis and Various (Jun 18 2013)\

The Silver Age Teen Titans Archives Vol. 2 by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy (Jun 25 2013)

Batgirl/Robin Year One by Chuck Dixon, Scott Beatty and Marcos Martin (Jun 25 2013)

Showcase Presents Unknown Soldier Vol. 2 by Various (Jul 2 2013)

Jack Kirby's O.M.a.C.: One Man Army Corps by Jack Kirby (Jul 2 2013)

Absolute Blackest Night by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis (Jul 2 2013)

Superman: Phantom Zone by Steve Gerber, Gene Colan and Rick Vietch (Jul 23 2013)

Camelot 3000 by Mike W. Barr and Brian Bolland (Jul 30 2013)

Superman: the Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 3 by Various (Jul 30 2013)

Batman Illustrated By Neal Adams Vol. 3 by Neal Adams and Various (Aug 6 2013)

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex Vol. 2 by Various (Aug 6 2013)

In the Days of the Mob by Jack Kirby (Aug 13 2013)

Lot 13 by Steve Niles and Glenn Fabry (Aug 13 2013)

Nightwing: Old Friends, New Enemies by Marv Wolfman and Various (Aug 20 2013)

Absolute Superman/Batman Vol. 1 by Jeph Loeb, ed Mcguiness and Michael Turner (Aug 20 2013)

Green Lantern: Sector 2814 Vol. 2 by Len Wein and Dave Gibbons (Aug 27 2013)

The Captain Comet Archives Vol. 1 by John Broome, Murphy Anderson and Carmine Infantino (Aug 27 2013) ]Showcase Presents: House of Secrets Vol. 3 by Various (Sep 3 2013)

On the Vertigo side they get all omni on us as we see Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1 @ 1040 pages, Animal Man Omnibus @ 704 pages and LOEG Omnibus @ 416 pages

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Don't forget the annotated Sandman too.

I'm mostly pissed because I've had to tell multiple customers at the shop that we can't order them Lucifer paperbacks because they are out of print, oh, and good luck finding them online, because if they were even anywhere remotely affordable online, we'd have ordered some and had them in stock.

I know Sandman is a cash cow, but the fact that they let its 75-issue multiple-Eisner nominated spinoff go out of print while producing poo poo like this is frustrating.

New Lucifer TPBs are coming.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Really? This isn't like the hardcovers that were mentioned and never heard of again?

http://www.amazon.ca/Lucifer-Book-One-Mike-Carey/dp/1401240267/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355165125&sr=1-18

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Until it is in my hands I will not believe it.

Yes, amazon listings are not concrete, but books listed on amazon rarely fail to materialize.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I'm currently working my way through BPRD and just finished Vol 3 of Plague of Frogs. I noticed some of the paperback collections (9 - 1946, 13 - 1947 and 15 - Being Human) are not collected in the hardcovers. Are these just side-stories unrelated to PoF? Are they going to be collected in hardcover, or should I just get the softcover ones?

1946, 1947 and 1948 will be collected into 1 hardcover.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
They need a little bit or organizing and straightening up.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I also have no idea where to put Little Nemo, since...well, look at it.

You're doing it wrong...

OR

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

Great collection, xK1. Only the classiest of BSSers own all 3 Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge hardcovers :smug:

Only 3 more days to enter the raffle!

The Gemstone "Life and Times.." single volume has over 30 more pages than the combined page count of the two BOOM HCs. I only own the Gemstone editions, I wonder what's different.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

xK1 posted:

There's a third Boom "companion volume", that could be the missing stuff.

redbackground posted:

Those 30 pages aren't part of what's in the Companion HC?

No, the Gemstone and BOOM companion volumes have the same page count.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

The listing at Comicbookdb of the single Gemstone volume shows 268 pages (vs the 2 Boom HCs at a total of a similar 272--double checked my copies). Discrepancy!--you say yours is ~300 pages?

Looks like the page counts on amazon for the BOOM HCs are wrong.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Not sure what the best thread would be, but figure this is the best shot of finding some TPB experts - how good is Image at doing big collections? I'm looking to get into Fatale, but would prefer something with more heft than a five-issue trade. Just have no idea how long I'd be waiting to see something with a few hundred pages or if I should give in and get what's already published.

We might be waiting awhile, but I will be very surprised if we don't see an oversized, single volume hardcover after the series wraps up. That's what I'm waiting for.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Brubaker seems pretty annoyed about it (he's spoken several times, in tones of bafflement and irritation, about people "waiting for the deluxe hardcovers" and how hard that makes it to judge the success of a new series) but I think he's resigned to it.

It bugs the hell out of me when creators complain about this, especially when they almost exclusively write stories that read better in 1 sitting and creator owned books that come out super erratically.

The ONLY way to stop people from "waiting for the trade or HC" is to only release stories in single issues and we all know that isn't going to happen. They don't want to leave that money on the table, but they will complain about it. :colbert:

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
So I got some books in the mail today....

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Padje posted:

The Promethea omnibus is listed at Forbidden Planet now. As noted earlier it's horizontally formatted. What are the dimensions likely to be? If it's the same size as the Marvel omnibuses, or even smaller, surely the art, while admittedly not disappearing down the middle crease, would be smaller than that in the original trades?

It will be as tall as an Absolute and twice as wide, bound on the short edge.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Padje posted:

Whoa! £66 right now at Forbidden Planet. Seems crazy cheap for what will essentially be 2 absolutes side by side.

Have you seen the "standard" size IDW Artist Editions? Any of them except the Mad and Wally Wood books. It will basically be the same size, but sideways, in color, and close to 500 pages. Awesome.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Anyone read the Grimm Fairy Tales Omnibus? I don't know what this is, but I love fairy tales with a slightly dark twist, like Fables. But looking at the art one Google, it looks like a pervert's wet dream. Anyway, is this good reading material?

I have not read it, but it's terrible. Don't buy it, ever.

Back me up Rhyno.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Karnegal posted:

This may have been covered but I did a search on the thread and I couldn't find anything. How sturdy is the X-Statix Omni? I sometimes worry about how well the really big Omnibi hold up to actual reading vs. just sitting on shelves.

It's more than fine. All talk about the glue "falling off" or the pages sagging is pure speculation. If you want it, go buy it now while Marvel is blowing them out and you can get a really good deal.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Out of ignorance, does that mean anything for people who aren't affiliated with a store? I'm in the midwest for grad school and my local store blows, so I don't buy anything there anymore.

It means that many stores, usually larger online retailers, will be offering this book for lager than normal discounts. You should be able to find this book for more than 50% off now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Shawn posted:

Thoughts?

It's easy for me as I rarely enjoy anything in monthly form. I might just watch to many TV shows, read too many novel and comics to remember everything going on from month to month.

I get much more enjoyment from reading things once they are done or once story arcs is completed than I do reading monthly.

I also get much more enjoyment from having a nice library with bookshelves full of great collected editions than I do by having a bunch of bagged and boarded comic books in crappy cardboard boxes in a closet somewhere.