Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Flight 230 posted:

I love that it's missing two of Final Crisis' twelve issues. An Absolute book shouldn't require you wandering off to read your Batman: RIP trade halfway through.
What the gently caress those issues are going in the RIP trade with no recap or explanation is totally loving beyond me, anyway.

Is this something, like the complaints about not including Superman Beyond in FC trades, that we can yell at them about and perhaps fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Any idea if they'll correct the errors for the absolute? Last I heard they fixed Mr Miracle's ethnicity but screwed up Sunny Sumo's for the HC (and TPBs I think?).

This would be the time to do it. Of course, given their track record, who knows?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It's bothersome because Flashpoint was released so quickly and Marvel's trades are released within what, a month of the end of the arc? And I don't want shoddy bound books, I want real trades that flow with the rest of my bookshelf.

DC will finally grant the wish of so many readers: matching spines among trades! Every DCU New 52 book will feature the same trade dress, coloring, font, and all!

Be careful what you wish for, especially from a company whose trade practices are so hosed up to begin with

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
King City drops in February. 440-something pages, golden age sized, for 19.99. That means there's bonus material too. If you don't buy this, you don't like comics.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

My patience/forgetfulness has finally paid off!

I would've paid double that too. This is 44% off the MSRP of the issues (which means, if your buying via Amazon, you're getting one hell of a deal).

I kind of want to just buy a pile so that I have them as gift options when it eventually goes out of print.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Flight 230 posted:

1500 page Invisibles Omnibus!

!!!

!!!

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/22/what%E2%80%99s-coming-in-summer-2012/

!!!

I... this... this is going to be multiple hardcovers, right? Three would be nice...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

I'm not excited about 1500 pages of glued binding.

I'm thinking it may be something like the Strangers in Paradise omnibus? I don't see how anyone could think a 1500 page comic is a great idea.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I have to wonder if they were intentionally waiting for 2012 for this giant epic Invisibles omni? I hope we get letters pages.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Glenn Danzig posted:

It's out next Wednesday bud.

Amazon date might be the 21st?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Secret Warriors Omni was confirmed at some point though, right?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

DC will probably gently caress us by releasing an Absolute Return of Bruce Wayne that will include the loving Road Home books.

I hate you so much right now.

They generally try to make Absolutes all one writer, right? This is the hope I cling to.

edit:
So, 2012 is the year of weaponized Grant Morrison books, right? Absolute FC and B&R and a 1500 page Invisibles collection. Oh, and a Flex Mentallo hardcover in case you need something more maneuverable.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 15, 2011

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

^burtle posted:

The way Vertigo makes trades, some of you guys will pop open that Invisibles HC and the whole bind will come out and crush your bits.

I'm still holding out for a multi-volume onmibus.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Did anyone pick up that classic TMNT hardcover? I'm getting an itch for it, but our shop sold the copy we got before I got a chance to flip through it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Amazon just cancelled my order for Flex Mentallo. Is it sold out (AGAIN?)

Look into that, as I don't know why they'd cancel it. I got an email delaying it again to 3/6/12...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I think you're overstating how good it is. Yes it's a fantastic book but 50% of the hype is coming out of the fact that it's been impossible to get a physical copy since it was originally published.

that's easily part of the hype. I don't know that I'd say it's half. It really is the best thesis Morrison's got on his thoughts on comics. If you like any Morrison, you should probably give Flex a shot.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

That was exactly printing in the days of Flex. It's being redone to have less flat color (which kinda worked) and more of a We3/All Star Superman look.

I wish Jamie Grant would just color everything Quitely does. It's not that others are bad, but he handled rear end with beauty.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
so, I haven't read Fraction's Iron Man since the last giant hardcover came out. I assume it's just as good and I should get the second volume?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

jimcunningham posted:

Hastings superstore.

These still exist? Ours went out of business nearly a decade ago and I just assumed it was the whole franchise, considering they always felt like a crappy version of Borders.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Huh, weird.

So, does anyone else get annoyed looking at their Iron Man hardcovers next to each other? (I don't have a picture handy, but the Marvel logos at the top are inversions of each other)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Glenn Danzig posted:

Marvel recently changed their spine logo to the inverse of what it was. Brace yourself for lots of annoyance.

I just feel it isn't too much to ask for them to be uniform across a title. How hard is that?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

^burtle posted:

This isn't the story thread, this is the "We fetishize giant comic books" thread.

It's mostly that it just doesn't make sense to me how whoever designs the dust jackets and/or spines for their collected editions isn't told "make these look uniform." From the Marvel logo change to the bizarre decision to switch font sizes on the Ultimate FF hardcovers, I don't flip my poo poo about it, but I just shake my head and ask how hard it is to be consistent. DC does it too, with little things (like which version of the DC logo goes on the bottom of the spine)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Anybody watching their Flex Mentallo advent calendar, I got an email from Amazon pushing it back to 3/22.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alhazred posted:

If I were to pay fifty bucks for a volume of New X-Men I wouldn't only take it for granted that it was new but for that price I would also expect a signed nude photo of Grant Morrison to be included in the price because that's a huge amount of money to spend on one hardback.

Volumes 2 and 3 of that hardcover series have neared or passed $100 before. The omnibus isn't cheap either (but someone found an amazon fish that implied it was getting reprinted, didn't they?)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Moai Ou posted:

Thanks! I wish I knew who made the case itself (I inherited it a few years back), because I'd love to get another one. The only thing is that any similar ones I've found have been a bit out of my price range.

Again, most of the books I got good deals on. Nearly all the Ultimate books in there I got for around $7 from Edward R. Hamilton, an overstock bookseller. I got that Don Martin set from there for $15 two years ago. Check it out every now and then and you'll find some nice hardcover prices.

There is one book in there, though, that was a giant pain-in-the-rear end to get. I bought Vol. 2 of New X-Men off a third-party seller on Amazon, where it was listed as "Like New." When it arrived two weeks later, the dust jacket was torn up, pages were missing and stuck together, the back cover was bent in half, and it had "Multinoma Public Library" stamped on the top of the pages. When I complained, the seller claimed that it was new when she sent it out, and that the damage must have happened during shipping. After I told her that I doubted that my book fell into a time warp during shipping and spent years as a library book, she sent me threatening e-mails. I contacted Amazon, who refunded my money, let me keep the book, AND banned her marketplace account. I finally found another new copy for $50 that was *gasp* actually new!

I hope that she was banking on using "it says "new" in the title" as a defense

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shameless posted:

The latest Diamond shipping update (courtesy of the Masterworks Messagboard) says that the Batman vs. The Black Glove deluxe HC (reprinting the Batman and Son and Black Glove trades) has been cancelled and will be re-solicited at a later date.

Dammit, DC, I just want to buy these issues for a third time, why won't you let me?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
$100? Really?

I get it, it's part of your "line" of omnibuses, but drat, I'm just going to track down singles or something at that price.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

RevKrule posted:

Secret Warriors is 900 pages and $70 on amazon right now.

How big are those issues? Because 900 pages is a whole lot of filler for 28 normal-sized issues.

And you're both right, it's not that bad, I just expected it to be a $75 one for some reason (Marvel just doesn't do that anymore, do they?).

I'm spoiled by those drat Fraction Iron Man hardcovers

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

Flex Mentallo

Flex is a Vertigo book, and presumably wouldn't have the DC logo. I assume it's perpetual delays are due to the recoloring.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
For anyone not paying attention, the King City collection is priced at $10.52 on Amazon. You really have no excuse to not buy it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I'm really shocked they're collecting the canceled books. I'll be even more shocked at the retailers that actually order them.

I would buy an OMAC trade...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

Personally I wouldn't expect a Fraction Iron Man omnibus considering how they're being collected in OSHC and if anything I think we'll see a Fraction Thor omnibus rather than an Iron Man one. If you're considering getting the second one them I assume you already have the first? I would just carry on reading it that way and not worry about the the potential likeliness of an omnibus

Jeremys Iron collects the omnibus line, unless I'm misremembering.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Yeah I'm a very specific kind of money-wasting chump and have at least once re-bought stuff that I already had in paperback in omnibus format.

...I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

Nah, it's cool, I was just trying to put your somewhat strange question into perspective, especially because that Iron Man hardcover was originally listed as an omnibus, which I think was disappointing for the couple of you whose bookshelves buckle under the weight of those gigantic things (I suppose I do own two of them,and about 7-10 absolutes [depending on if you count stuff like Umbrella Academy] so I'm certainly not judging)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Slayer1597 posted:

I ended up cancelling my volumes of No Man's Land, because I guess they are re-doing them and re-releasing them in April, so I decided to just wait and pick up the whole series at once.

But I did get Batman : Gothic, and the Ressurection of Ras al Ghul.

They are both Morrison stories so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Oh, and I picked up a copy of Final Crisis, because I was interested as to what actually happened to Batman before all the books that I read. :)

Good luck with Resurrection. It's a Morrison story in that Morrison wrote a few parts of it, as it spanned all the batbooks at the time, but it's certainly not bad.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Apparently Quitely has his comped copies of Flex Mentallo, so it's only a matter of time for the rest of us.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

Look, I can believe you asking a girl out, but don't insult her by pretending you knocked her up.

If she's changed the delivery date 8 times, she's probably the one pretending.

Give her up, burts. It's for the best.

edit:
this is not advice I would ascribe to Flex Mentallo. Kissing that girl would be like kissing Thundergirl, burts. But it would just be like kissing her, not the real thing.

Always wait for Flex Mentallo.

I can't wait to see the new colors, have they released anything yet, besides the cover?

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 20, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mr. Glum posted:

I just received King City from Amazon, and now the page says it's up for review, "because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here."

Anyone know what this might be referring to?

One of two things: maybe people are thinking it's the old one or something and are complaining about it not being what they thought. Or two, and more likely: Amazon doesn't wrap it in anything and it's a paperback, so it's really easy for it to get hosed up in transit.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

Isn't CB only around 19 issues? That seems like it would be a little small for an omnibus.

Devil Dinosaur would like a word with you.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

I heard somewhere on here that Quitely's gotten his comp copies, so I think it'll actually make this date. About drat time, too!

That was me regurgitating from Twitter. I'm excited. Plan on just losing a day to that.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Glad that the first thing I thought (If they're coloring it, it better be larger now too) was the very first thing I saw in that CBR link. Yeah, I'll double dip, why not. The colors look nice.

obi_ant posted:

Darn. It's going to be released individually. I was hoping they would rework the panels so it would become an awesome omnibus.

Rework the panels? I'm rather confused how that would affect its ability to be an omnibus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Just thought I'd make everyone's day a little better.

It exists and it hits retail tomorrow. I can't wait til tomorrow afternoon so I can take my copy home with me.

I love you for this.