Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This thread came from the old thread specifically because people wanted more information about binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I do it by title ... mostly.

I've got all my digest sized books together because they tend to get lost on the shelves if I mix them in with bigger things; by title. Then, all my other books by title, excluding Marvel (Marvel is separate as it works as a "universe", DC is not because I mostly only have Batman and it doesn't make sense for me to have a DC section). I make an exception when books are tied together. For example, under "H" I have all my Hellboy and BPRD next to each other. Under "B" I have my Batman books; these are generally by published date.

Then, all my Marvel books are collected together, generally by subject and published date. Eg, all my space opera under "A" for Annihilation, followed by Annihilation: Conquest, etc. All my X-Men under "X" starting with Age of Apocalypse, New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, etc.

I have oversized books elsewhere as they don't fit on the shelves with everything else.

I do it this way as I usually look for books based on title. "I want to read 'X'". If you think of books more based on the author or artist you want to read, collect them that way. Or do a hybrid: sort by title except keep all your Frank Miller together under "M". Whatever feels most natural.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Empowered Hardcover Deluxe Edition. 700 pages of fanservice!
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-720/Empowered-Deluxe-Edition-Hardcover

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

phelps posted:

My body is ready.

Adam Warren has posted the pencils and inks of the cover on deviantArt and mentioned that he's also working on the cover for the second HC. I bet that comes along fairly quickly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I seem to remember hearing about a second Fraction Iron Man omnibus being announced a long while back or something, but I'm not seeing anything onAmazon. When was this supposed to be coming out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Much thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wildlele posted:

Hate to tell you, but they bound your book upside down...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

^burtle posted:

Can't wait until to flip open an Invisibles Omni and the spine breaks and leaks pages all over the place.

From what I know of The Invisibles, that sounds appropriate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

krut posted:

For me it's been 1-2 days to process and then it gets shipped Media Mail, which, depending on how far away you are from Florida, could be 3-7 days.

Here are some photos of my modest shelf:

That time again?

Most of my good stuff is still at my parents' place as I don't have the room for it here (almost all my Marvel hardcovers and Absolutes).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, the two hardcovers contain:
Book One
Prologue
Star-Lord
Quasar
Annihilation Saga (brief BIOS of all the characters)

Book Two
Nova 4-7
Wraith
Annihilation: Conquest

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

Awesome thanks, I don't think I've ever seen the Saga book. I just wanted to throw in a little more with Nova 1-3, might even do his origin story first, cause I'm gay for him.

I'm not sure Saga was an individual issue. They seem to be in every D&A hardcover I've bought (usually recycled information) and may be just for the collections to keep readers up to speed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

$18.99 on Thwipster:
http://www.thwipster.com/products/invincible-iron-man-omnibus-vol-2

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yes. It's good, but I like 100% much better.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Love, danger, and art in a futuristic city. Kinda a slice of life set in a Blade Runner like city.

Here's the hardcover. The paperback is a couple cents cheaper...
http://www.amazon.com/100-Paul-Pope/dp/1401221335/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1326595143&sr=8-1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wildlele posted:

Fantagraphics seems reasonably safe against this sillyness but time will tell.

Between Locas and Locas II, they changed the width of the books (from spine to edge) and Locas sticks out 1/2" further than II when on the shelf. That's way more annoying than any logo change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nitpicky EC Archives comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nl834kzqY

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

Hey, my copies of Alias and New X-Men are gonna buy me a house.

JackDarko posted:

I'm a guy who really likes seeing pictures of books before I buy them, especially expensive ones. A friend asked me to snap some pictures of Bone 20th anniversary hardcover before he bought it. I figure I might as well share them with you guys. In case any of you are unsure.

I feel like the only person who likes the black and white version of the story. Keeping those tpbs forever... Still, that looks nice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bone is over. There were a couple of one off issues after either written or drawn by Jeff Smith. Quest for the Spark is a novel written by someone else with illustrations by Smith.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did Image push the King City trade back? I thought it was supposed to come out at the end of the month but Amazon has it coming out in March and if I have to wait another month for this stupid thing I'm going to flip my wig!!

Amazon is always a week or two late, at least. They get their books through slower channels than Diamond.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

I bought a couple of the AoA paperback collections which a lot of people on the internet seemed upset at for being in a 'technically correct' chronological order rather than a 'more coherent and better to read' published storyline order.

As in the main story or the supplemental stuff? I didn't have a problem reading the main story line (though I hadn't kept up with the story when it originally came out), but spending almost the entire first volume on Blink, which assumes you know about AoA, felt like a huge misstep.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got this in the mail. Excited to read early Warlock stories!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 13, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wildlele posted:

Nothing formally solicited yet.

What about rumors? Feed us rumors!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

d00gZ posted:

I'm pretty sure Morrison and Quitely have both praised the recolor.

Yeah, Doherty says he did it "in close collaboration" with Frank Quitely. http://notaproperperson.blogspot.ca/
Quitely mentions being unhappy with the originals here:
http://www.comicbooked.com/studio-sessions-frank-quitely/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It seems the third and fourth Hellboy hardcovers are low at Amazon. Are they sold out at Diamond?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dang, I can either buy TPBs 3-6 to complete my collection for $48 or the entire omnibus for $48. Bought!

Now who wants the first two trades?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hey, there's a Fear Agent deluxe hardcover coming out:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-542/Fear-Agent-Volume-1-HC

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Scuttle_SE posted:

I've been looking around, but I haven't really been able to find any nice hardcover-editions of either Don Rosa or Carl Barks in the US. Are the duck that much more popular here in europe?

Yes, Ducks are way more popular in Europe.

Fantagraphics has set out to reprint all of Carl Bark's work, but it will take something like 15 years to complete.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=699&Itemid=62

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This is about all I have in my tiny apartment (long box and random comics on a shelf in the closet). Most of my Marvel and the Sandman Absolutes and Sin City hardcovers are either on shelves or in boxes at my parents'.

I have room for another short shelf next to the TV, but I think I should get rid of the books that I don't want before adding more storage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Amazon is well known to get books 1-2 weeks after comic book shops.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Absolute Sandman is basically golden, right? I really want to buy Sandman because what I've read is amazing, and while Annotated Sandman seems pretty awesome it doesn't really seem like a great way to read most of the comic for the first time.

It's nicely recolored and there is tons of special features in the back and generally looks great. No problems that I know of. The first four volumes collect the entire run, the fifth is some extra material not part of the 75 issues, and Absolute Death has her two miniseries plus a couple of things already collected in the Sandman volumes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

JLI never did get finished being collected, did it? Not just stopping the HCs at volume four, but stopping the TPBs a couple volumes later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It explores the author's relationship with his father while telling his father's story about WWII and the concentration camps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, the art is anamorphic animals, which lets you take in the story easier. The WWII stuff is dark by its nature. The father/son stuff is more typical slice-of-life, the son trying to understand why his father acts in certain ways and dealing with those annoyances.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's about it. Maybe worth mentioning that it's also generally kid friendly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they'll reprint the Iron Fist Omnibus.

I wish they'd print a companion of the post-Fraction stuff, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aw, drat, I just bought the DD tpbs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What's the paper like in those? I was a little shocked when volume seven went glossy, though it really makes the blacks pop.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bleeding Cool gives you a way of getting DC Absolutes for 60% off.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/30/how-to-pre-order-dc-absolutes-and-omnibuses-for-60-off/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Probably slim. The only thing I can remember is one of the Powers hardcovers having a page printed twice and they just released a pdf of the missing page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was doing ≈$100/month on trades from Amazon for a while (hardcovers are expensive!). I'm down from that, if only because I have too much to read at this point.