Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a second opinion here. I'm working on a repair technician course for a piece of equipment that is dual-fed 480VAC and 230VAC, each three phase.

Initially, there were all over me to make sure the students knew all about arc flash hazards. Then when I pushed them hard enough on getting the right PPE in, they changed their tune and decided to install some magic fuses on the 480 line that bring the hazard down to class zero. Now they claim it's all business as usual. I just need to review Lock-Out Tag-Out.

Can these fuses really reduce the hazard? I'm more a mechanical guy than electrical, I have trouble making sense of the NFPA standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

KaiserBen posted:

Short answer: No. Long answer: Hell no.

NFPA deals with max fault currents, which are determined by voltage, transformer impedance and size, and the clearing time of the breaker. Fuses change none of this; the new GE arc-flash dome thing might, but it's not been evaluated and classified yet.

IIRC, 480V with any sort of power = Cat. II minimum. I'd get them to explain it fully (and do some hot work themselves, if that's what they're asking you to do).

That's what I suspected. The only real explanation I had was that the clearing time of these fuses was fast enough that it all didn't matter. Basically, "It's cool bro."

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Simply Perfect!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

As an aside: I was joking around with co-workers about how cool it would be to have an ordering option to include an ABB engineer with the larger drives.

:clint: "So there's the new Megadrive... wait, who the hell's that guy?"
:) "Oh, he's Paul. You add an '-ENG' to the end of the part number, and they also ship a engineer in that other crate."
:shobon: "Hallo! Ich kam mit dem Hochspannungs-Laufwerk!"
:) "I can't understand a word he says, but he showed me how to replace the IGBTs."

I work with a guy who used to do ABB field service. I'd be happy to put him in a box and ship him out to you.

(He's really not that bad, just tells some bad jokes sometimes.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The low voltage compartment also works well as a place to keep your beer while racking a breaker.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was going to make a post saying that the bow-tie was part of the necessary PPE, but you beat me to it and with a good reason even.

I work on printers myself, and would agree that ties do not belong anywhere near a roll-feed printer.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was talking to a guy at work about PPE requirements. He told me that NFPA 70E only applied to facility wiring, not to appliance wiring (i.e. anything with a UL sticker on it).

I know this guy will make stuff up just to show how "smart" he is. Is basis in reality for this?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Are you talking about equipment that would be directly wired into an electrical system at a lower voltage (<600V) that still bears the UL sticker? Are you wiring up live, or testing live equipment with protective covers removed?

This is 480 VAC equipment, testing operation and verifying input voltage, etc.

Also, whoever decided to put 24V, 120V, and 480V all in the same cabinet in this equipment was a moron. They probably also got a pat on the back for saving the company money.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It seems like it would be dangerous to put a sign on your truck saying "Yep, its grounded!"

It would create a false sense of security if you ever forgot to take the sign down.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

Cross-posting from the generator thread:

Cool stuff. Does my laptop charger care much about these waveform abnormalities?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I'm sorry 911 dispatcher, but I can't hear you over my factory exploding.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
But:

quote:

See how the arc flash is minimum, as the ground fault current is just 5 A

Basically, it's cool bro, don't worry about it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Sir, I can't hear you over the explosions and fire alarm. Could you please repeat the nature of your emergency?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtiHJKClEw

This is a video from a different control room showing a simulated scram. They use the ding sound from The Price is Right, nothing like the cacophonie in the other video.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Get three trefoils to trigger the meltdown jackpot.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It could have been a brown-out.

A brown-out is when the voltage supplied to your home is lower than normal. Think of it like turning down a dimmer switch, but on your whole neighborhood. Lights might be dimmer, and other things will behave strangely. Electronics probably will either work normally, or not work at all.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Even if your electronics are on the same circuit, their power supplies will have different sensitivities to the brown-out.

Really cheap power supplies will put out a correspondingly lower voltage.
Nicer ones will notice that they can't put out their normal voltage and will switch off entirely.
Others will still be able to put out their full voltage and will happily chug along.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
One of my coworkers used to work for ABB. He was visiting customer site in South America, and was walking down some sort of hallway, and one side had a chain link fence for a wall. Something didn't quite feel right, and realized on the other side of that fence, within a foot or two, was an un-insulated high voltage "bus duct".

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What about solar and/or wind generation that allows for sending power back into the grid?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
White House calls for increased spending on the electircal grid: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_ELECTRIC_GRID?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Where should the spending be targeted? Is it a matter of like-for-like replacement of old poo poo, adding capacity, or something else?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They make CF cards that are at faster than SD.

It isn't a media bandwidth issue. It could be a interface bandwidth issue, or they just want you to buy a more expensive product to get more features.

I tried to find out what speed they supported on the Power Visa, but it doesn't say. I did notice they tried to say you could use only Dranetz brand CF cards. Yeah, right.

Bosch-Rexroth tries to do the same thing, and even uses a messed up partitioning scheme to force you into it. I fixed that with dd. No more $1500 replacement CF cards.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'd imagine you must have to. Some parts take days to machine.

You can do damage to a part if the spindle were to just spin down on its own, like if you are tapping threads, or if the axes aren't held in place without power, and they just drop.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think Tons of Cooling has BTU beat as far as archaic units go.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Call the local fire department / fire marshal / building inspector and have them do an inspection. They will have their own CO meters. They also probably have better access to the local permits, and if they really don't have an occupancy permit, will know immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is the frequency of the grid still adjusted at night to ensure a correct daily average for clocks that use the 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) signal as a reference? Timekeeping seems pretty related to industrial electricity.

• Locked thread