Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
So I've been rewinding electric motors for a couple years now, any interest in pics mid-rewind? Most of what I see is in the 30-100hp range, and rarely above 400 hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah! That would be cool!

I was reviewing some photos of a larger motor (medium voltage, 1000 HP range) that had rub damage on the stator and rotor yesterday. (Where the spinning part in the middle slides against the stationary part - that's not good.)

I see that sort of thing alot. That failure can make a motor a terror to re-wind - if it shifts the teeth in the laminations they end up like razors trying to cut through every wire/insulation that you put back in.

[timg]

There's a neat little two speed, two winding hoist motor. The low speed is the top set of coils, and the high speed is the bottom set. This is at least a year old so I don't even remember the speeds ;p 4 and 12 pole or something fun.

Same little hoist motor waiting for internal connections to be made. There's a bit of brazing to be done ;p When I say internal connections - we braze every third group of coils together (phase A, phase B, phase C etc. around the winding. This is called a jumper) then either wye the end of the phase or delta it, or bring them out as leads so we can do either =p

Halfway through a 200hp. This is the non-lead end. Note the coils on the top - we leave them hanging out because when we get back to that point we have to tuck coils under them to finish the lap winding. The yellow stuff sticking out of the winding is phase insulation. Glove for scale =D

Same 200hp, coils all inserted, getting ready for internal connections.

I apparently didnt photobucket as many pictures as I thought so... more to come! In general though, once you've seen one you've seen em all =p

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

Is it all done by hand?

Yes, everything except making the coils. Inserting, connecting, etc. all requires a human touch. Manufacturers ARE able to wind motors with a concentric winding rather than a lap, and can use automation for that - hence the comparatively low cost of new motors. I can't compete with new motors on most standard frames up to about 60 hp. Turnaround time makes the difference - if it takes a week to get a motor shipped here and I can have it wound in a day or 2, that makes a big difference to a customer if one of their processes/oil wells/whatever is down less time.

Form coils (my pictures, and the bulk of my work, is random wound) are made by an outside manufacturer. I believe most of that is automated.

Three-Phase posted:

Do you have a vacuum impregnation tank on site? Do you guys do any synchronous motors? Do you do heat run and vibration/balance testing in your shop?

We do not have VPI. I wish we did, but we don't.

We see very, very few synchronous motors.

I don't really know what you mean by heat run - I'm assuming you mean a dynamometer... put a load on and see how the motor reacts? If so, that is outsourced if it's requested by the customer.

Vibration and balance testing yes, we've got a balancer setup. We balance anything large (200hp I think? I don't get involved in that end of the world too much) and anything that has had shaft work done (bearing journal buildup, new keyways cut, etc.).

We've got a few 585KW generators out of a local hydro power plant in for rewind - I'll grab some pictures later on tonight when I go back in.

Three-Phase posted:

I was at a larger shop awhile back and they had a huge tank that could do larger-frame motors (10,000+ HP) and also "vertical" motors and generators for pump/hydro applications. It was wild seeing such massive machines being built. They had four and eight-pole rotors (salient pole) being assembled that weighed many tons.

It's amazing seeing some of that stuff. We don't deal with HUGE HUGE motors, and it's always fun seeing how it scales.

This thread is great because I rarely get a chance to go out in the field and see the other end - both controls, and what the motors actually *do*. I still haven't read the whole thread =D

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Because we Americans have to do things differently.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I also never understood why everything has HP ratings, contactors, breakers, etc.

Aren't we beyond that by now? Code says everything must be HP rated, but it seems like there are instances where that's not sufficient to size things properly. I usually size things based on nameplate FLA, and even that's flawed since your inrush curve is different for different motors.

Seems to me that the HP or kW rating are missing gobs of important information on the electrical side.

HP and KW are a function of the motor properties.

HP= (1.73*volts*amps*efficiency*Power Factor)/746
KW= (1.73*Volts*amps*PF)/1000

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Groda posted:

It's a U.S. Customary unit: 1 kilowatt x 1 hour = 1 kilo-watt

Groda, I'd love to see a source for this.

I need to call my electric company and tell them they're billing me in the wrong unit. :argh:

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Aliass posted:

Also how many other motor winders are here/what countries?

Winder here (some of my work is 2 pages back), good 'ol US of A.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
So I got into an apprenticeship program with a local power company working at a newly constructed natural gas peaker.

Going from winding motors to this is probably going to be a big jump. Still damned excited!

I'll try to finally dump winding pictures in here. Seems like whenever I start taking pictures I gently caress something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Our battery bank is in the same PDC as our 4160 switchgear - about 5 feet from it. This is in a brand new facility, too. Also, gently caress lazy people, I tell all our guys after they are done diagnosing and treating a problem, get rid of the old rust/arc marks/ etc: so some poor soul isn't in that same position of trying to figure out if it was existing or not. We wouldn't tolerate someone installing a new battery bank over that.

• Locked thread